Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

What game is this, by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Weirdly enough Iceborne was only a 40gb download for me. I assume that's because I don't have the High Res texture pack installed?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress me, I wanna play Monster Hunter, but I got an older PC and this new anti cheat system this game now has pretty much slows my poo poo down after three or so hunts.

Apparently Iceborne has some big performance issues like a memory leak, no idea if it's connected to the anti-cheat but do keep that in mind.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Will I like Cossacks 3 if I like old RTS games like Age of Empires 2 and the time period? I've never played one of those and apparently the one on Steam is some sort of remake?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Apparently the first stages of the Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition beta will start early next month, for like the three people in here who care. I love what they did to AoE2:DE so I'm very much looking forward to 3.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I really like short, replayable games like Into the Breach, Dungeon of the Endless, FTL or Invisible Inc where you unlock more characters/equipment as you go on, but I haven't had much fun with traditional roguelikes (mostly because most of them have kinda ugly UIs and that's a major bummer for me). Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Any ideas?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tons of great recommendations, thanks! Had my eye on Hades and Noita already, but there were a few I hadn't heard about. For some reason I mixed up Void Bastards with Deep Sky Derelicts, whoops.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Griefor posted:

There's also the series standard lol AI feature, in this game it's Lizardmen sending out full armies with nothing but Tyrannosaurs and Triceratops. No rank and file troops, no archers, no artillery, just 20 dinosaurs with one having a leader riding it charging your fortress.

One of their rites summon a dino-only army for a good chunk of cash. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Given how solid and fun the core gameplay is in Synthetik, it's a drat shame just how bad some of the bosses are. Do not put bullet hell-style bosses in a game where your dash is on a multiple second cooldown and you have to pay attention to manual ejection/reload/unjamming while trying to shoot at the actual boss! The final boss is even worse because the room before it you are introduced to a mechanic where "floor lights up, you die" but then he has an attack where you get insta-killed unless you're on the section of the floor that IS light up, it's just that now it's green instead of purple.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hey Strix you should play Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada! They went with a heavy story focus in that one and it's great - plus the way it's focused on a single clan makes it easy to wrap your head around the historical context at the time. I got it expecting a regular musou and I was amazed at how much I loved it.

Also re: Total War and CA, they are a great studio in terms of not being chuds and each free update and paid content drop for Warhammer is better than the last, but some people are still understandably angry about the disastrous Rome 2 launch. Personally, can't wait for TWW3.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

OgNar posted:

I've been playing Tales from Candlekeep and was considering Gloomhaven which kinda looks like more of the same.
How does it compare? Same game, different looks? Tougher? Better?
I know its in ea still and has no story yet, just random encounters. But will buy if its more of the same.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/663380/Tales_from_Candlekeep_Tomb_of_Annihilation/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

Candlekeep is a digital version of the D&D Adventure Game System board games, which are pretty okay as physical board games. Gloomhaven is a digital version of the board game, which is considered to be the best dungeon crawler in the market by a tremendously wide margin. The campaign is the main reason to play it, but the gameplay itself is amazing and playing random dungeons may give you an idea of how tactical and crunchy it can be. The game relies very little on luck, which is also a great plus.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Haven't played the original Shadow of Mordor yet. Should I give it a go or should I go for the sequel?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Bit late for that, cause I was only getting because of that humble deal thing from last page. Though this is the first anyone has said about terrible bugs in the current game, and after 9 major patches, I think the odds are low enough to not matter. And even if it has something awful, it was only $10.

The game has some issues with saves - it never saves incrementally and if you don't manually clean them up every now and then, the game starts to slow down a bit.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

It took all of my ammo just to put down the first zombie in the game and that was TERRIFYING

now I have a save point and more ammo and Iiii will be conserving that

Shooting a zombie in the knee or head to make them stumble backwards is a great way to deal with them. If you think you'll have to return somewhere, shoot one of their knees till the leg comes off - zombies crawling are way less dangerous and you can walk past them with ease. Plus they can't open doors that way! The only way to make sure a zombie is dead is to blow its head off - some weapons are considerably better at that than the starter pistol. Finally, your knife is very powerful if you're playing on the PC version - getting a zombie on the floor and then using the knife to cut off their limbs is a good way to render them harmless.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Drawful 2 is free on steam right now.

Quick question - if I want to try playing with people who are not physically with me, do I need to stream from my PC since I'm the one who owns the game?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I enjoyed modding New Vegas but I never played FO3. Will I enjoy 4? How is the modding scene?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Doom Eternal is very, very fun but whenever a Marauder appears I wish I was playing 2016 instead.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also the writers loved their "let's call demons mortally challenged" joke waaaaay too much. It's EVERYWHERE.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm playing Metro Exodus through Game Pass and I just came across a bizarre bug where Anna's rifle kept on shooting after the firefight on the train's control room at the very beginning. Like she'd have it holstered and it would still be shooting. Currently going through a long conversation where it's STILL shooting, causing sparks and blood to pop up all around her as her character model moves.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm trying out Age of Wonders: Planetfall since it came with Game Pass and... I think I'm not feeling it? I loved AoW3 but I can't just put my finger on what I don't like about this game. The setting is a bit more interesting than ye old standard fantasy fare and I like some of the additions like the new research system and outpost expansion, but I'm not liking the combat changes. Chance to hit feels weird and I don't think I quite like the way cover works in this game. Plus the UI feels very busy, particularly the colored tiles denoting AP expenditure. Maybe I just don't like 4Xs as much as I did before :(
Despite the two being very different games with different gameplay expectations and styles, I found Northgard to be very fun and relatively straightforward (been playing a bunch of Conquest mode and some MP on the side) so maybe that's tinting my perception a bit.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Currently halfway through the Volga level in Metro Exodus. I really like the new open world approach, feels like they built upon the surface levels of Last Light and I am enjoying having to craft supplies on the field and being able to mess with attachments, but just I can't find it in me to care about having to clean weapons or the long, ~immersive~ animations for everything, from opening your crafting menu to opening doors. Movement in general feels very stiff in this game, to the point where sprinting over ramp-like pieces of debris that are literally lying on the ground will hurt you when you land, just because of how far it launches you. Anomalies were pretty cool and atmospheric but their hurtbox was not entirely clear either.

Man, GamePass was really worth it, especially to check out some expensive stuff like this game. I was really pumped for Metro Exodus but it sorta feels like they went a bit too heavy on the simulation for my liking.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Long War was made by lunatics who don’t really care about whether or not a change made for an interesting strategic choice, only about if it made the game harder. Try it again without that awful mod.

Yeah, playing Long War on your first time through the game (or really, at any point aside from when you've basically mastered the mechanics and the hardest difficulties are getting stale) is not recommendable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I played a bit of Shogun 2 and wow, that tutorial sucks poo poo! Here are some news units to the series, they do neat stuff. Now take that castle.

I did not take the castle.

The tutorial is egregiously bad and it's very much something they improved on as the series went forward. The siege tutorial in particular was very, very bad.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

What's the difference between the Instant Access version and the PC download option? Because I see that Revolution is $6 but only allows me to choose PC Download.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Man, I wasn't expecting a Hamilton reference in Gears 5

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's see if someone can help me out here: I was playing Synthetik with a fellow goon (which is loving fantastic, btw), and there's a... passage? in one of the in-game tracks that sounds super similar to something else (like 95% sure it's from another game involving shooting), but I can't figure out what and it's driving me insane.

Track starts at 23:49 in this video, the bit that I'm trying to figure out what the hell reminds me of is at 24:03 exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bwPlaqFKY

I thought Payday 2 for a second? But if it was that, I can't find the track.

First of all: hell yeah Synthetik. I absolutely love that game (still trying to prestige all classes at least once). As for the question - I want to say it sounds like a Payday 2 but I can't quite place it, at first I thought Sirens in the Distance or Evil Eye but after listening again to both of those it's neither.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You guys made me install Terraria! I last played it... 5 years ago, dear god.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The original factions from WH1 are either moderately (Dwarfs and Vampire Counts) or massively (Empire, Greenskins and Bretonnia) improved. Plus many underlying gameplay changes and amazingly better modding support and documentation.

E: in WH2

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, build optimization is only A Thing in later difficulties and honestly player revenants will shower you on good armor sets at every point of the game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I doubt it will happen any time soon but I'd love to see the battlefield games there, it'd give them a decent player base boost I feel. Also The Sims 4, I need regional pricing dammit.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Every now and then I check on Defender's Quest 2's progress. I remember being super pumped about that game like 5 years ago. :( According to their own website, the game's been in development for over 6 years.

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 11, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

I enjoyed the first. Where are you looking to see updates?

The dev's blog - https://www.fortressofdoors.com/

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

haldolium posted:

that error seems to be fairly common with their recent releases (this never happend with Fallen Order to me, which was their first Steam+Origin combo game) but is usually resolved with the 2nd attempt. Try closing and re-opening origin, and try launching it from there.

Battlefield 3 is the worst though since it puts the abomination that is Battlelog in between Origin and Steam. I don't know if later Battlefields still have that system, but if so AVOID ALL Battlefileds via Steam. It's an absolute nightmare and makes me think GFWL wasn't that bad (which it absolutely was)

Only BF3 still uses Battlelog for servers and stuff. I never found it that bad tbh, being a server browser I could just open on a browser without having to boot up the game. BF4 still has it available (and it's what you'll use to do stuff like mess with loadouts or track your achievement progress) but otherwise everything else can be done in the game itself (so check weapon stats, attachment progress, look for servers, etc.). BF5 and BF1 do not use Battlelog - they use the UI that was eventually backported to BF4.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

PoE1 had a funny bug at launch where equipping and unequipping items that gave stat boosts would have the bonus linger after unequipping while also stacking with itself.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

There's a Gaming section in the main SA Discord with a bunch of different channels; I floated the idea of making... well basically this thread as a Discord once and I got pointed to that one so I dropped it, but it's not quite the same tbh.

Man, this sucks. :(

Yeah, it's not the same. A Steamgoons server would be pretty swell.

Edit: Or what ICR just proposed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hey guys, looking for some recommendations for my sister. She's very new when it comes to PC gaming and her PC is sorta low-end (no GPU, i3 8100, 8gb ram). She loves games that are relaxing, heavy on narrative and/or exploration, the natural world (especially plants) and complex puzzles. Some stuff she's loved: the whole Zachtronics catalogue, Sunless Skies, Minecraft, Morels: The Hunt, My Time at Portia. Any ideas?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd link to English Country Tune myself but steam is dead. Still, it's a cheap and cool puzzle game for a dollar

:3:

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Trickyblackjack posted:

For puzzle games, Baba Is You is one of the best ever and probably could run on a calculator. The Witness is another and isn't too demanding (specs-wise). Both are Zachtronics-tier in both difficulty and quality.

I forgot to mention she loved Baba is You! Thanks for the other rec though :)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I never played a Yakuza game, should I start with 0?

Zedd posted:

it isn't on sale ATM but ig she likes the idea of turbocharged Sudoku Everyday Genius: Squarelogic is the best there is:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/Everyday_Genius_SquareLogic/

It seems this never got a price in my region, but it's not unlisted or anything. The same happened with Unity of Command, but in their case I just sent them an email and they got it sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Gonna get Yakuza 0 then, thanks fellas. Can't wait to see Kiryu never ever kill a man.

NRVNQSR posted:

Exploration-heavy puzzle games are very much My Thing, so I'll throw out a few slightly more obscure suggestions. One of these days I should set up a steam curatory thing for them:

Waking Mars, which Glare Seethe already mentioned: A very unusual puzzle game about exploring an alien ecosystem, figuring out how its ecology works and manipulating it to progress. Kind of klunky to control and the story feels a little meandering but overall I really enjoyed it. Puzzles are interesting but don't get super complex. Currently 80% off, should run on anything.

Full Bore and Toki Tori 2+: 2D puzzle games on a metroidvania-like map, with an emphasis on progressing by learning how the mechanics work. Both have fairly relaxed learning curves but get very complex towards the end. TT2+ has minimal story, Full Bore has a weird and fascinating story let down somewhat by a weak ending. Currently 80% and 90% off; should hopefully run on anything. Don't bother with the original Toki Tori, it's nothing special.

TRI: Of Friendship and Madness: Probably my number one hidden gem game on steam; a 3D exploration/puzzle game that I would personally put almost on par with the big names in the genre. Leans slightly more exploration than puzzle; the puzzles never get too complicated but the environments are really interesting to traverse and are good at rewarding out-of-the-box thinking. Currently 70% off, slightly more demanding than the other suggestions but should still run fine on an i3 8100.

Honorable mention: A Good Snowman is Hard to Build. Not much exploration, but an excellent and very relaxing and pleasant puzzle game. Again, starts out easy but ultimately gets very complex. Rather shorter than most of the games above. Currently 70% off, should run on anything.

Unfortunately most of the big deal Best Games In The Genre will need a GPU. As mentioned The Witness should hopefully be okay, but The Talos Principle, The Outer Wilds or Portal 2 would probably need a hardware upgrade. Return of the Obra Dinn is borderline; officially its min spec requires a discrete GPU, but she might be able to get by without? It's not on a huge discount this sale, so it might be one to leave for another time.

Thanks for this!