Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Serephina posted:

Did they ever un-gently caress support frigates and harvesters in Remastered, and put back in fuel? The HW1 remaster was an abomination last time I played it

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm not sure they added fuel back in, but support frigates are back to being decent resupply ships for fighter formations.

It's not a 1:1 reworking of HW1 mechanics but it's the best they could do wedging it into the HW2 engine. It works mostly pretty well.

Support Frigates and Vettes work correctly now, they have the proper range on their repair beams and no longer have suicidal AI that intersperses them between their target and anything shooting at them.

Fuel was never on the table to be added back in as the BBI guys all thought it was too fiddly a mechanic to bother with and the games felt better without it, though the Kadeshi still run out of fuel via script if you knock out all nearby fuel pods in the garden

The addition of ballistics has done wonders for making the remasters feel like OG Homeworld (though the ghost ship mission is still busted to hell with the scaling) and the buffs to HW2 Frigates to make them less paper help a lot with the early game ramp, though the third mission in HW2R is pretty fuckin difficult now since the Vaygr accuracy malus no longer exists. That said, Thaddis Sabbah is piss easy in comparison because those same ballistics additions mean a proper Hiigaran capital line is basically an unassailable wall of guns and the occasional ion beam, while Vaygr mainly still have to rely on slow moving missiles.

I'm pretty comfortable recommending someone new to the series play the remasters now. HW1R is not a 1:1 recreation of Classic but it's faithful enough to be a similar experience with the benefit of a more modern pace to its gameplay, and HW2R feels like a more difficult second campaign as opposed to a game that went in a wildly different and contentious direction. Though they did hardcap what you can steal with Salvettes in order to prevent scenarios like the insta-fail from the final HW1 mission people were running into, which is a good call imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

All of the Crysis games are genuinely good hth

The first one and Warhead definitely want you to learn on the fly power switching to make the most of it though, and on lower difficulties they’re boring as sin. Enemy AI is better all around in 2/3 and the suit powers are more straightforward, to their credit mostly.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

The one advantage Crysis 2 and 3 have over 1 is that MAXIMUM armor is actual armor. However this is immediately canceled out by having MAXIMUM speed just be a regular video game sprint unlike the Flash speed of Crysis 1.

I'd agree with the speed thing in 2 (it's tweakable though) but in 3 the maxspeed mode was definitely fast as hell, I distinctly used it over vehicles in one of the later levels for a speed run.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

They absolutely nailed the atmosphere of creepy Warhammer cyber priests going on an adventure in the land of delicious forbidden space mummy technology, and the writing can be pretty clever.

For real, I think Mechanicus is probably the most atmospherically 40k game ever made, they completely nailed the sound, visuals, and characters. It's worth a look if you're a warhammer fan on that point alone. That there's also a pretty decent TBT attached is just icing on the cake.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 26, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

A bit late to the party, but I just finished Black Mesa (admittedly purchased as placebo for Doom Eternal) and enjoyed it quite a lot with the exception of one level: Interloper. Whoever decided that the run-up to the final boss is best spent on a more than an hour's worth of loving around with power cables, crates and conveyor belts should not be allowed anywhere near level design ever again. I was pleasantly surprised how they handled most of Xen but I'm pretty confident I will never want to replay this game again because that one level just sucks so much.

e: I mean, Half-Life's final levels were a pain in the rear end but at least they were mercifully short. In Black Mesa, Xen gets away with the extension because it's pretty and Gonarch's Lair gets away with it because it's tense, but by the time you hit Interloper you're just thoroughly sick of it and the generic cave factory visuals you spend most of it on just add to the frustration.

The last part of the level absolutely owns though. The conveyor belts could def be shorter but I wouldn't change a thing about the elevator.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Serephina posted:

I don't own it, as I've learnt my lesson with Paradox and know better than to buy into any of their new products.

Those who did get it said it was amazing they managed to make the game so dull. So par for the courseI guess? They'll continue to keep pushing expensive DLC that promises the earth, be aware of their business model.

Paradox is only the publisher of Planetfall, not the developer. Triumph is still the studio making the game, patches, and DLC. Dismissing Planetfall as another Stellaris or EU is flatly ignoring just about everything about the game.

GrandpaPants posted:

How is age of wonders planetfall? I really liked 2 and 3, so I'm expecting good things, especially with this big patch they just released?

If you liked AoW 3 you'll more than likely dig Planetfall, especially with the most recent patch. They tried to deepen in the economy a bit relative to 3 and are still hunting for the sweet spot but it's still massively less fiddly than its contemporaries. Tactical battles are as awesome as always and the various race and secret tech combos are, in my opinion, more varied and engaging than the hero and magic choices from past games. It's straight up just Age of Wonders 4 but with some sci fi this time, so unless you really dislike the change in setting I'd say def go for it. Also we have a Planetfall thread here on the forums that can answer any questions you may have.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

This doesn't actually mean much. Cities: Skylines isn't developed by Paradox either but it 100% conforms to their lovely DLC scheme nonetheless.

I dunno if Planetfall is really going that way, but I will say that the pricing on the base game vs. season pass vs. ultimate everything included edition has been pretty bullshit. I got a raw deal by buying just the deluxe edition early.

Planetfall's DLC pricing is very definitely paradox.

Planetfall's DLC additions and how patches affect the base game are decidedly not paradox. Paradox has nothing to do with Planetfall's development past the "new content" mandate. My point is saying Paradox made an Age of Wonders game boring somehow and there will just be endless tides of DLC that never makes things better is being deliberately ignorant of the game in question and a bad answer.

AoW3's DLC was like 5 bucks less than the Planetfall season pass anyway, and that was decidedly pre-PDox.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 1, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

How beefy of a PC do I need to run Bannerlord at non-clunky playable level?

I've got 16 gigs of ram, a 970 and a massively outdated processor in the form of an I7-2600 and I can comfortably run it on high with about 800 dudes in a fight. I get the occasional frame hitch that is likely the aforementioned sound thing but the game stays in the 50-60 range pretty much 99% of the time. The post above this one happened for a reason though - game is good, Warband 1.5 in mostly improved ways, but game is also jank pretty hard at the moment and the recent patches have helped a lot but there's still more to fix. If you liked Warband and know you're going to stick with it by all means go for it, I personally think there's a ton of fun to be had and actual fights play like a dream, but if you're expecting something super polished after the last seven years or however long it's been, uh, don't,

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 2, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Age of Wonders Planetfall: oh hey, by focusing on combat so hard, I might be able to get out of my usual Civilization problem where I go all-in on research and then forget how to defend myself and the AI steamrolls me. And it seems like it has a working AI instead of Endless Legends' brain-dead ones, so I can get more mileage out of it! Awesome!

Also shoutout to GrandpaPants for sending me useful information!

We have a planetfall thread full of old hat Triumph fans that will drop a ton of useful info about the game as soon as a newbie wanders in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857341

Have fun!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Zehir's good fun, definitely better than the OC, but it's never quite reaches Mask's high notes. Although, in my opinion, it also never hits Mask's low notes either :v:

It's a neat romp with a player made party and there's a conan the barbarian plot and dinosaurs. Give it a whirl, I say. If you dug any other part of NWN2 at all then SoZ should keep you entertained for a good bit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know what a ludonarrative is, but from long-standing familiarity with the kind people who come up with words like that, I'm making an educated guess that it's probably something of dumb, knind of obvious and something that most people would doesn't really matter enough to need a special word for it.

How close am I?

Everyone else is making fun of you but honestly I am legitimately impressed that you were able to say something so thoroughly stupid and useless. Just goes to show that anything can be an art form if you commit your life to it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

EW is a vastly better experience, if you have the option 100% go with it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ace Combat owns, AC7 owns in particular, Strix please post in the AC7 thread where people will not ruin parts of the game for you jesus

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

Never really got into Civ back into the day, but I've been playing VI lately and enjoying it and it's kind of made me curious about something a little more complicated. I'm down with a space setting and both Stellaris and Age of Wonders: Planetfall are both on sale right now, and I guess thanks to the EGS $10 off coupon, Old World is sort of "on sale" too. Any of these worth looking into? I also own Endless Space 2 but never really gave it a fair shot; should I just try and get into that instead?

Planetfall is an extremely good game but it's much, much more combat focused than Civ and not necessarily more complex. The strategy layer is pretty much just there to fuel your armies that fight in X-COM-esque tactical fights. Units are very customizable and the races are all very unique though, so it's not a simple game either. If that sounds like something you're interested in, I can't really recommend the game enough.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I loving love hearing about these sorts of things sans context, this is probably the best one I've heard since the Sims 3 patch notes. :lol:

The SOTS2 patch notes are an actual work of art and I'm sad that that seem to be gone from the forums forever.

Almost as sad as I am that I preordered that game :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Binary Domain is a hidden gem, imo. It's pretty competent and has great art and enemy design.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Change My View: If you don't like working overtime, don't work there. If you've got Epic Games on your resume you can probably get hired anywhere - so again, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchem.

I remember watching the Joe Rogan episode with Hugo Martin (Doom Creative Director) and he talks about working 60+ hours a week and it's extremely plain to see that he's super passionate about the game. That passion is why he chooses to give up a significant amount of his personal time to dedicate to the project. I really feel like people just simply aren't honest with themselves, they lie and tell themselves, "Well I love playing video games, therefore I'm passionate about them and want to make games". Then they get duped into working overtime and complain about how unfair it is. But here's the thing: nobody is forcing you to work there. If it's so bad then quit and go find someone who respects your time better.

Like it's perfectly fine if you're not willing to put up with that, I've been worked lovely dev jobs wasting away my summer working overtime. I don't blame anyone for being unhappy working in those conditions. But I'm honestly so sick and tired of people acting like it's their ~only option~ to either work there or starve and die. We live in the age of information, it's not hard to find what working conditions will be like at these huge corporations. I see so many comments online like, "Oh 'passion' is just a buzzword for 'willing to be abused and work endless hours'" and fine, if that's your perspective you're entitled to it... But don't complain that the conditions are exactly what you expect when you get there, then. Don't waste your time and don't waste their time.

Just gonna revive this so I can call you actual human garbage lmao

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Let us never forget Starbound

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

PC Gaming Megathread: Romance of the Three Storefronts

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Gonna be some powerful Dynasty Warriors fights about the storefronts in this, the thread that was once about Steam

I call Ma Chao

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Games is ruined

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

We have mods?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

This loving sucks, just so everyone is aware

I'm going to talk about a game what's on steam now. Black Mesa owns, those who disagree are tasteless, discuss

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

it's real good and their take on Xen blew me away, but I still don't get why a Hazardous Environment Combat Unit wouldn't wear gloves

On a list of dumb things HECU does/did, that is, like, number four maybe

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

play Mechanicus

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean that's how I play all games these days. But what's Mechanicus do wrong for you?

At launch it had severe inverse difficulty curve issues, which are now less severe but still present. Also some folks don’t like that the only enemy race is necrons, though they have plenty of unit variety imo. It just suffers from the same problems all XCOM-likes do at the end of the day.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Generation Zero is a perfectly solid open world survival game if you're into that genre at all, with the bonus of also clearly being Simon Stahlenhag Art: The Game, no matter how much they try to deny it. It's jank as gently caress at times but I still recommend it, if only for the incredible sound and environment design.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 4, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Morter posted:

How are the following aspects of it?

1) Looting/exploring for usable items?
2) Combat/gunplay?

This is the first time it's coming up on my radar, and it looks a bit more my jam than 7 Days to Die was, from what little I've noticed.

Well there's no true base building or even crafting really so usable items are near strictly guns, attachments for them, and ammo to shoot them, and some rando consumable items like radios to be used for lures and flares and such, plus some occasional new cosmetic bits and blueprints to make them not so cosmetic. Guns don't break with use or anything so once you find one you have it, but there's multiple tiers to each gun representing how well maintained it is so there's enough of a carrot there, since you'll generally find a gun you like and then want to find the best version of said gun for better damage and handling. Actually exploring for this loot is one of the stronger points of the game in my opinion, as there's a lot of cool places to visit like well hidden military bunkers based on actual Swedish cold war defensive doctrine, good sized towns and cities, hermit cabins in the woods that were hoarding survival equipment, things like that.

Combat wise there's a good variety of enemy types (again, smaller group of different models with multiple tiers that all have different capabilities and tactics) and they generally have pretty effective AI, so the game is good at making you feel outmatched in most big shootouts and incentivizes stealth and creativity with rando junk items like gas cans. The gunplay itself is perfectly serviceable, if not incredible, but as I mentioned above the game has excellent sound design and that helps the gunplay a lot - most guns feel very powerful to shoot just by nature of the sound they make (though this is of course a two way street and machines will home in on you if you go loud within a few hundred meters of them)

I think my only major complaint with the combat side of Gen Zero is the shotguns feel kind of weak because they really don't have good armor penetration characteristics, which is extremely important as you get further into the game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I found the looting in Generation Zero to be pretty bad. You’ll find thousands of crafting materials but there’s barely anything to spend them on. You’ll find thousands of bullets but inventory weight limits on not only your character but the storage as well means you’ll eventually have to stop picking it up or throw it away. Guns and gun modifications get incremental upgrades and as soon as you find a slightly better version you break the old one down into more useless crafting materials.

Unless you’re really into sneaking around robots it also quickly becomes Not A Solo game. The smaller robots you find at the start of the game and spread throughout actually are fun to fight but eventually you encounter larger groups of bigger robots which are are very tough and take many bullets to kill. The even larger tank robots take ages to kill if you want to fight them by yourself. If they spot you in the open your only chance is to run away unless you have a building to hide in.

If you do fight combat mostly just consists of hiding while an enemy fires a burst at you, peeking out to fire a burst at them, and then hiding again. If they get closer you run away while slapping many health kits on yourself.

I really wanted to like GZ as soon as I saw it but once I get off the tutorial island the gameplay loop became pretty dire.

Unless you have a group of people to play with so you can actually engage with the harder aspects of the game on a more even footing with the enemies I can’t really recommend it.

I soloed the entire game without any serious issue and the vast majority of that time wasn't super stealthy either. You have to shoot robot weakpoints to have combat be even remotely viable, which is barely communicated to you ingame to be fair. But yeah. Shoot optics, gas cans, ammo storage, things like that, and only engage on your terms if you can help it and you'll be knocking down even military-grade Tanks in a couple of mags of 7.62. Just doing the peek and shoot at an armored target is gonna see fights go more like what you're talking about.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Vasler posted:

The weight limit is such a bizarre choice in a game like this. I made to right to the end of the game and just stopped. The weight limit really detracts from this game and serves no purpose.

You'll basically be looting scraps of crap for the entire game.

Like you'll get 10 bullets off of one thing, 10 different bullets off of something else, and then 5 different bullets off of a third thing. None of these will be for the gun you're using because there's a bout 50 different ammo types and they all weight something. You'll be stashing so much poo poo into your storage until it fills up and then you're hosed.

Then you get to play inventory and storage management.

This was the single worst thing they did with this game. Trashing robots is pretty fun but by god, the loot sucks and the weight system sucks even more.

Skip it, imo.

You only get ammo in abundance for weapons on your person. This was happening because you were carrying a ton of rando guns instead of just the ones you were currently using. Otherwise ammo drops are massively weighted towards what you can actually use.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

I only ever played it once before, back when it was a mod, and Xenless

You are in for a treat

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Incredibly late to this but anybody who thinks Gunlance is bad in world is certifiably bad at Monster Hunter :colbert:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Sad to hear that the gunlance has fallen from glory in Monster Hunter. That is the coolest weapon ever and hella fun to use.

It didn't ignore the bads

EXPLOSIONS 4 LYFE

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Every weapon in MHW is good, even the Longsword if you're not an rear end in a top hat

(Learn Lance and then upgrade to Gunlance, as they are the best)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

everyone keeps spelling insect glaive wrong

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

See above, peasant

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Darkhold posted:

The evil ending was at least an ending. But that good ending......man.

The good ending to NWN2 was Mask of the Betrayer

Hwurmp posted:

drat not found

:black101:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Deakul posted:

the only good satan
is a dead satan

Satan page needs more

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

sweet chocolate christ are you people still talking about the loving monster hunter costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Morter posted:

Yeah let's just instead talk about monster hunter gameplay

BLA-DOW!

Pretty good

Imagine if that was a gunlance tho :blastu: