Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Tyranny is on sale and I keep thinking I want to give it a fair shot, esp. after the WOFF episodes on it.

On the other hand, responsible me keeps looking at my copy of PoE2, an objectively better game, and thinking "How many times have you re-started that game, gotten past the first island, and then totally lost interest?"

And yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It is but I'm a sucker who wants to play it through with all the dlc.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It says Gold Edition, is that not all of it?

Huh. I recall it just being the base when I checked like two months ago. Thanks!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
FYI for anyone else checking, Tyranny left Game Pass in November. :(

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SirSamVimes posted:

How far away is the release for the full game version of Wolcen?

Really interesting that nobody's ever started a thread for it as far as I can tell from the search function. Wanting to drop the $30 and just BELIEVE that the final two acts and all that last-minute untested content will be good, but... uh...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Yeah, he seems like a legit reviewer for ARPGs and it's definitely swinging me back towards buying tonight. Really funny to see how many people in the Discord were hopping up and down saying it was no big deal to not see two whole acts and an entire tier of abilities in Early Access.

Yes, not all games go into EA but those that do usually show a bit more before they release.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I've got most of the games in Humble's Digital Tabletop Bundle already but... Terraforming Mars and For the King worth $5 on their own?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Hello, I would be liking opinions on very much my jam Junji Ito World of Horror game from those who have played please and thank you.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thinking of hopping on the bundle but only a few things I want -- specifically Tyranny and the Mercenary edition of BTech.

If you already own the base BTech and, say, one DLC, can you activate the Mercenary edition or will something on Steam gum that up? I doubt it'd leave me a giftable copy of the base game but I'm wondering what the likely outcome would be.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm looking at two potential thingies while they're on sale:

Morels: The Hunt looks really rad, but I'm concerned about how engaging it remains over time- is this one of those "Play for a few hours, then never look at again" jobbies?

Iceborne looks tempting, but apparently it still has fairly major performance problems and bugs on PC?

Talk of MH:W's problems on PC are overblown at this point. I play on a two-year-old rig and my friend plays with me on one that's roughly ten years old and it runs surprisingly smoothly when we play together, despite our very different setups and output capabilities.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are on sale for $20 total. I made it about 1/3 of the way through Zero before getting distracted and am now face deep in Persona 5 Royal, so that'll likely keep me going for the next few weeks.

Is it worth grabbing them to layaway and then attempt a 0 through 2 run?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Something called Alder's Blood released today and caught my eye. Anyone have first-hand experience before I add it to a weekend splurge?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

John Murdoch posted:

Really getting tired of devs/publishers doing deceptive poo poo on Steam, intentionally or not. Right now on the front page the image says WH40K Inquistor Complete Collection and the price is 16.99. But when you click through 16.99 is only for the base game and it's another :10bux: or so for the actual complete collection.

It's a dead game anyhow.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Word on it in these forums is pretty sparse - any takes on the final build of Iratus, releasing today?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
For the nobody that's asking, Iratus is pretty good and certainly worth the $16 it's priced at for opening week. I was initially thinking it was "okay" but then found myself binging it til 4 in the morning last night. It's... very long, probably too long in terms of each floor's number of encounters, and it definitely has a mortality rate similar to or worse than Darkest Dungeon on standard difficulty, but it makes up for it by having a way to quick-level your minions when they inevitably get trashed. The conceit of being a necromancer running his minions up from under the surface (for some reason, we keep our convicts down below the dwarves) is fun enough and you have to show *some* flexibility with party design as you face different biomes. The uber-tank skeleton I had cruise me through the first layer was utterly dismantled by the second encounter of the Dwarves layer, where hard hits and crits make it really sub-optimal for any one party member to ask to take it all for the team.

...it's interesting. Not as good as DD (but few things are) but also occasionally more satisfying in terms of figuring out various puzzles, feeling a bit more uniqueness from the character classes and the choices you make in developing them. I'm curious to see what the 4th and 5th strata look like as they were held back entirely from early access (which I didn't participate in; I just watched streams puzzling over whether I wanted to buy it before deciding what the heck after refunding another purchase.)

I'd say give it a whirl if interested; it probably won't disappoint. The only downside is that a lot of the classes are "unlocks" so you may not get a full taste of what the game can do within the two hour mark.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Caligula Effect: [lots of insightful observations]

I'd love it if you continued to post a few more thoughts as you go deeper in and the sale continues. REALLY on the fence on this one.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Will do, I'll make a point of playing it.

Have you played either Persona 1 or Persona 2 - either Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment? Neither game has amazing gameplay, both have lots of dialogue and interesting plots, and they're part of what convinced me to pick it up - I know I'm down for the writer's brand of wackiness and I'm willing to put up with jrpg nonsense to get there.

e: Though nothing in Caligula will ever top sunglasses hitler being a major boss. Innocent Sin is such a masterpiece of a game.

Huge fan of both P2: EP and IS. If Caligula's plot has at least some of that tone and some of those surprises, I could churn through some repetitive nonsense combat for those highs and lows.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Very excited to check this out. Loved the promise of the game but the mechanics are already obscure and labyrinthine enough without a bad translation further dimming my understanding of them. Will likely start a fresh save and see what the experience plays like now.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sinteres posted:

I'm starting to think 3-5 aren't happening on PC. Or at least I think I'll stop waiting for it soon and just play them on PS4.

When's the remastered version of those come out on PS4? I'd anticipate PC 6 months after that, give or take.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Looks like 5 didn't hit til February, so I have until August to be vindicated. Heck, I give myself September because I deserve it + Covid. :shrug:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The new Lobotomy Corporation translation is a goddamn miracle. Mechanics are comprehensible, dialogue, while very occasionally stilted, is much more easy to follow... And some jerks are complaining about a fan-led translation because they miss their wacky Engrish.

*sigh* Anyway, game was always good, but now it actually tracks much more cleanly. High recommend.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
If you can get over the janky translation and enjoy the anime visual style, Troubleshooter is *excellent*. It has the JRPG issue of starting slow with training wheels on, but it's the first XCOM-like to hold my attention in a loooong time and has system-upon-system to an almost hilarious degree. In terms of mechanics, it's much closer to what I wanted from Phoenix Point than Phoenix Point managed to give. Sat on my wishlist for a long time until Austin Walker gave it a very nice selljob on Waypoint, noting it might not be everybody's thing, but if a crazy-layered XCOM where you're superpowered PMCs in an anime world appealed, it would very much be Your Thing.

And it is. Highly recommend.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason this really ups Troubleshooter in my wishlist.

If a game with a million modifiers and customizations appeals to you, this game is your jam. The heroes in this thing are basically the guns in Resonance of Fate -- who doesn't need a Hero with eight scopes and four clips?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I am sad that so much time is being spent talking about whether Anne is sexualized in Troubleshooter (she's not) when the rest of that game is so awesome and actually worthy of discussion. I was up til 3 AM yesterday with it and it's amazing how much the game opens up in terms of gameplay choices and builds once you've put 10 hours in. Yes, it's annoying that it's pretty much like every JRPG that way (I realize that it's a KRPG but I've not played enough of those to know whether it's a trope there too) but frankly, the systems are already so ornate (and questionably translated) that I can understand them locking away Class Changes and some of the other systems like crafting until you've really had a chance to get fully immersed in the basics.

Seriously, if you like XCOM and just system after system after system layered on top of one another, this one is more than worth the $25 to pick it up.

Also, it's one of those games that doesn't do well with laptops having both integrated graphics and gaming video cards and defaulted to the former for me. Figure that out before you play 10 hours of chop just wondering if this thing is that poorly optimized. It's not; it just has no idea how to optimize itself with whatcha got.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinity Gaia posted:

When I went to look up some info on Masteries I found out about that system and also that there is YET ANOTHER similarly complex system later, making your own robot buddies so uh yeah this game has probably too many goddang systems but I like it anyways. The plot is, while anime, surprisingly good? They certainly manage to get a lot of pathos out of some dipshits with spoons on their faces.

I think I hit some sort of ridiculous breakthrough with Sion and now he's hitting in the 5k range while the rest of my party is lucky to hit 1k. And he has by far the best AoE in the group. Boy is a total monster.

Edit: By the way, anyone know if there's any benefit to maxing both of a characters advanced classes? I see absolutely no reason to switch Sion off Black Mage if there isn't.

I believe the deal is you can take unique Masteries or Abilities you've learned from one advanced class and use them on the other, ala FF Tactics. So it's mostly a matter of customization although you wouldn't be *wrong* to just stick with one. But you'd switch over to Battle to get some more defensive perks, and then potentially switch back to Black Mage, I guess. *shrug*

And yeah, Sion wrecks face pretty quickly it seems like. I just hit Level 16 and broke out his Black Mage as well and it feels like I just send Albus (yes, the main character is named Albus) in to tank a crowd, let him gather mobs all around him, and then Sion drops 4 or 5 fools, most of them with crits given his 50% crit chance, and that's that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tae posted:

I got my fifth party members and average level 20, prepare to change how you approach battle because Sion's squishness comes into play as enemies hit harder, and skills start to exist that prevent one-shots no matter how strong you are.

I believe it. I cranked up the difficulty to Hard from Normal as there are apparently Epic bosses and what-not that only spawn on Hard or Cruel and I'm a sucker for extra content and Hard seems to be a sweet-spot. I'm fine with Sion needing to be aware of his glass cannon status. But man, what a cannon he is.

Not sure if how I want to build my little Hero though. Both her Martial Artist and Battle Mage builds seem kind of hybrid with her abilities, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Starting out Martial Artist as I don't want her to feel like a poor man's, single-target Sion.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Debating whether I want to dip outside of Troubleshooter for something else during the big Epic sale. Sinking City is still priced too high for everything I've read about it, but is Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw worth it for a tenner?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm sure it's rough, but has anyone given Library of Ruina a try this morning? I'm stuck working all day but I am deeply curious as to what the new Early Access from the makers of Lobotomy Corporation is looking like.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Out of curiosity, how did lobotomy corporation’s new english translation turn out

Very good. I have some small stylistic quibbles but it's night and day.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Edit: Troubleshooter related, of course. Man, it WOULD be nice to have a thread, but I don't begrudge others for not wanting to take on the monumental task of creating an OP for it. Mechanics upon mechanics...

This right here. Only the chosen one will lead the Troubleshooter tribe away from the Steam thread. That ain't me.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
re: Monster Train -

The finished game is, imo, significantly easier than the demo, at Covenant level 0 and there's been a balance pass on cards that, for the most part I agree with. I played two quick runs before work and beat the game on the second, my first Awakened run, something I wasn't able to do in about six demo runs. Whereas the final boss schooled me decisively on the two runs where I made it to him in the demo, I killed him, easily, on the first floor with my first stab at him in the full release.

IMO, it's fun and lighter than StS. StS is extremely well-balanced, which isn't surprising given its roots. Monster Train isn't as focused on balance and that may be a turn-off for some folks. It encourages building degenerate decks in a way that StS generally makes pretty difficult; why duplicate a Rare card now when you can lower its cost to 0 and double its potency and THEN use the same mechanism to duplicate it two or three times? Another game would have made that harder, perhaps increasing cost to do so if the card has been modified, but that's not what Monster Train is about.

Personally, I like it and I'm curious to see how it does as I go up in Covenant levels and unlock the other two clans (the third was unlocked for me after my second run). I'm also hopeful it's a game that has long developer legs, much like STS has had, as I'd be curious to see how they iterate on this. It's far less of a "serious" game mechanically-speaking than STS, but they both fit a mood and I'm okay with that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mordja posted:

:siren:TITANFALL 2 IS ON STEAM GET IT IF YOU HAVEN'T:siren:

If you already got an Origin download code, can you push it over onto Steam via some transfer service? I'd love to install Origin, redeem it, pull over my Origin games, and then uninstall it forever.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Logan 5 posted:

There's like a standalone thing (that kinda acts as a demo I guess for the game?) that is free to play: Hellpoint: The Thespian Feast

I'd... wait until the main game actually comes out and some real reviews. The demo doesn't seem good though, if it is any indication of the main game.

The demo aggressively unsold me on it. It's just a bit too floaty in gameplay, a little too weightless in terms of hits and movement. It looks like an interesting world, but I found it pretty hard to invest. Too bad as a few streamers seem to like the preview build. Without any word on what was improved from the demo, not sure I'll give it a shot.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Does anyone have any insight into Hellpoint? The demo they released sometime back via The Thespian Feast is pretty decent, but janky and it's unclear how much the game's mechanics or feel have changed since they produced the demo and the devs are pretty quiet on the Steam forums.

I'm fine with a little indie-jank from a small team, but I'm curious as to whether some of the animations and weightlessness of the combat have been tinkered with at all since TTF. Might just grab it anyway, but would love to be informed before I do so.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Black Griffon posted:

Now for something completely different: Is the DLC essential for Fell Seal? Should I go for it on PC or is it especially good on Switch?

Can't answer about Switch, but it seems like it'd be good in a portable format, but I use a laptop for most of my portable gaming.

As for whether it's essential, not really, but it's nice. It adds a few new classes, some Pokemon elements with capturing mobs, and a few options for leveling up your squaddies that aren't in your regular rotation (or are, as it lets you run those missions during hours you're not playing, like a mobile game or something).

I think it's worth the price if you want to expand on the core game, but essential is in the eye of the beholder. You could play it fine without, but if you think you'd feel like you were missing out, it probably won't let you down.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

nessin posted:

It was confirmed to be a straight port of the switch version. If you want the full experience you pay for it in graphical fidelity. Unless you already bought the PC version, then you pay for it twice over to get the full experience and less graphics because a straight switch port isn't enough of a "gently caress you" to customers.

That's nuts. Welp, so much for giving either version a try.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

space marine todd posted:

Kind of a weird request but I'm looking for single-player adventure/role-playing games that my wife and I can co-play together (if that makes sense). She has been abroad for her job for the last year and unfortunately can't come back to the US until likely next year due to COVID-19 travel lockdowns. We're getting bored of syncing up and watching movies together long-distance so I was thinking I'd just stream a game for us via Discord so we can do something different.

She's really into David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Richard Stanley, and Michael Haneke movies so I was thinking something weird like Disco Elysium could work. Any other suggestions for point-and-click/turn-based games that are focused on dialogue and story?

I'm shocked nobody's said Pathologic 2 yet when Lynch, Cronenberg, and Stanley have been discussed. Granted, not point-and-click/turn-based but then DE isn't quite that either.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm a dummy who probably shouldn't have, but I spent $20 through GMG to pre-order Hellpoint (or Heckspot if you turn on the adult-permissions feature) which the devs have described as Dark Souls meets Dead Space meets Doom meets Any other grimdark games that start with D?

Seriously, though, streamers have shown that it's made a fair amount of progress since the demo The Thespian Feast released and for $20, it looks like it'll be at least as much as fun as Immortal Unchained was, and probably a little moreso (I felt the demo was janky, but not as janky as the finished Immortal was.)

Is anyone else looking to pick it up at launch later this week?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

exquisite tea posted:

There was a time that I was really excited for PSO2 but 7+ years of updates have made it too confusing and noisy for me by the time it finally came to the west. I think I'll just load up Blue Burst and spam the same 3 abilities, thanks.

I feel the same weird way about SWTOR coming to Steam. I played it at launch, got worn out, and then tried it again a year or two ago and the sheer amount of content/feature creep in that timeframe made it just a gigantic mishmash of flashing lights and weird-rear end pop-ups. I couldn't handle starting from scratch with it again in that form and haven't gone back since. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

vandalism posted:

Anyone pick up Hellpoint? I got it and I'm on the red boss which is kicking my rear end. As far as dark souls clones go, it's pretty good. I like it so far.

I picked it up. I have no idea who the red boss is, but I think it's easily one of the best Souls-likes yet. Right atmosphere, competent gameplay, just grabbed me out the gate and has me constantly thinking about getting back to it. It's a 7-person team, so it naturally has some glitches and MP is currently broken, but overall I really hope it picks up some momentum because it's very good.