Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elman posted:

Do I need to launch the game from steam? I can't do that because of the DRM. Without doing that it just defaults to my Steam desktop settings, I'm not sure how to set it to use regular Xbox controls.

There's a nice utility called GloSC (stands for Global Steam Controller) that can help with this.

Basically, it lets you add a fake "game" to steam that's just an invisible window that passes all the controller inputs right on through. Then you can set up your custom steam controller settings for this "game", launch it, and be able to use your controller configs on any non-steam game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Awesome! posted:

its weird because people like recettear. i guess the shop gameplay is deeper in that one or something

In moonlighter there were basically no shop selling mechanics, as far as I know. Once you'd figured out the prices for all the loot from your latest dungeon, you just filled your shop shelves with whatever was most expensive and turned your brain off.
Early-ish on you unlock another shop in town that buys any item for exactly X% of its "real value", so you don't even need to play the high-low game with customers. Whenever you unlock a new dungeon and start finding new stuff to sell, you just cart your inventory to the guy in town, show it all to him, then multiply his prices by 5 or something (I forget the actual ratio) to get the perfect sale price for your store.

The dungeon crawling was pretty fun though!
I think it was free on the epic store a while back. I finished the game and enjoyed my ~13 hours.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ErrEff posted:

I got HL2 Deathmatch recommended to me as part of the "first games you ever got" lineup. It got me wondering if this game even has active players or servers.

Turns out that yes, people still play HL2 Deathmatch and are actively posting on the discussion forum about wanting to find players, before the event even. Wow.

From a few pages back but I got HL2DM as one of my first games on steam as well!
I never played it much, but it served a very important role: back in the day, you needed to own a source engine game to be able to play source mods, and HL2 Deathmatch was the cheapest source game at ~$5 when not on sale.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

John Murdoch posted:

I know this is a petty microcosm of a thing compared to the actual issues, but I literally have Arkham City installed in preparation for another playthrough (having just done Asylum, naturally) and it would be nice if just once I could sink into an open world game that wasn't made by incredibly awful studios. :sigh: Now it's in the same lovely limbo as all of my Ubisoft games.

Death of the author is a thing.
You shouldn't give money to terrible people, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with experiencing media made by a bad person. Like, Orson Scott Card is an rear end in a top hat homophobe but Ender's Game is still a great book and worth reading. Just don't pay him money for a copy of it.

If you already have Arkham City then just playing it isn't gonna put any more money in Ubisoft management's pockets or enable them any further.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Remnant talk was a few pages ago but does anyone know how the level scaling in multiplayer works?
If I've played through the first couple of areas and have a +10 gun, can I feasibly co-op with a buddy who's just started the campaign, or should I reroll a new character for that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Volte posted:

Remnant is a great game and I'm glad I grabbed it for free on EGS. It's definitely worth the current sale price (40% off) on Steam right now. The only thing that struck me as super janky was the lip-sync, but I don't really care that much about that. Otherwise it's very polished and well-balanced. I only played it solo but I imagine it would be even better on co-op. I want to go through it again with a different loadout since I basically just upgraded my starter gear the entire game (repeater pistol and shotgun) while swapping the melee weapon out a few times. Remnant and The Surge 2 are now my two favourite "Souls-like" games.

Remnant is super fun, but after 11.5 hours I've only found one primary gun other than the one I started with.
From the look of it online, which bosses spawn in a playthrough (and thus which boss weapons you can get) is RNG, so I think I just got unlucky.

Oh well, the Coach Gun will be my baby forever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Orv posted:

You can reroll each individual world if you didn't get the bosses you wanted but about half of the bosses turn into guns and the other half turn into abilities so you really should have more than two.

Well I've gotten 3 boss secondaries and about 5 boss mods, but only one primary weapon, the Devastator crossbow... which wasn't really for me thanks to its crazy long reloads between every shot.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

You probably already know this, but you can buy the other classes’ starting guns at the upgrade guy if you tab over, and all of them have their uses. Remnants gun balance is really good overall, there are certainly some weapons I think are worse than others (because they’re boss weapons with a preset weapon mod but I don’t think the mod is great), and some builds are better suited to multiplayer where you only need 1 player to take care of the all-important hunter’s mark mod, but pretty much everything has a build that will make it decent at the very worst

You can also get a sniper rifle on earth, guaranteed no matter how your campaign generated: go to the church where you defended root mom and go through the exit on the left instead of the right

And it’s not a long gun, but you can get an SMG in ward 13 barely any ways into the game: use the ward 13 keycard and fuse you find at the start of earth to get down to the bottom floor of the underground ward. After putting in the fuse to let you open a door with the keycard, go take the fuse back out. This shuts off a fan which lets you access a key. The key opens a locked door elsewhere in the underground ward where you find the SMG.

You can also get an Ancient Knowledge trait down there that increases exp gains, which you should get first thing in the game and max it out before anything else - if you play that character enough, it will eventually pay for itself

Thanks for the tips! I'd been down in that area in ward 13 already but I hadn't found either of those guns.

Also for some reason I started up the game today and found a bunch of preorder bonus stuff in my inventory :confuoot:. I guess Epic screwed up the bookkeeping somehow

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
My Remnant gaming update: I went back and picked up the guaranteed sniper rifle, which was pretty cool and fun, and also my third primary weapon ever in the game, including the starting one.
Then I managed to finish the rest of the game, and yeah I didn't see a single other gun until the second-to-last and final bosses both dropped both one for me. I guess the RNG just really doesn't like me.
Alternating between popping heads with the (surprisingly long ranged) double-barreled coach gun and the single-shot bolt action sniper was pretty dang satisfying though, so I won't complain too much.

I was pretty surprised that the game ended when it did though, especially since the weapon upgrade system goes all the way to +20 and I hadn't seen a single drop of the stuff you need to get past +15. I guess that's in new game plus.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

explosivo posted:

Is the adventure mode stuff in Remnant separate from the campaign? I'm playing through the story with my friends but would like to play solo occasionally, can I roll some dungeons or something to work through and then go back to the story mode when I'm playing with them? I was scared to try because I don't want it to overwrite my progress if you can't do them both simultaneously.

It's a separate save slot for sure.
I started an adventure mode run on Nightmare after beating the game just to try it out, cus Nightmare said "recommended for players with endgame gear' and hey I just beat the final boss right?
Anyways I got one and two-shot a bunch and then left. I could switch back to campaign mode at the save point in Ward 13.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Morter posted:

Alright folks, new topic:

whaddy'all think about games

vibeo
games

Hate 'em, never play 'em
now, buying them when they're on sale? I do that a lot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

Siralim Ultimate is really very good

There is an astounding amount of build diversity. If you like tinkering with endless possibilities I cannot recommend this game to you enough, look at all the bullshit I've layered together to make my current build:

1) My Spec is Druid which is focused around dodging, increasing dodge chance, and increasing speed (which increases dodge).
2) I use a Druid Perk that makes the Defend action increase my creatures' Speed instead of Defense
3) Then I have a Lich Priest in my party which gives my entire party a large Death-powered AoE spell called Murder of Crows which refreshes charges every fight
4) I also use a salamander in my party that makes it so that when my creatures Defend, they cast one of their spells at random, and it's fused with something that gave it a trait that makes every spell cast by my party have a 50% chance to be cast again
5) Then I make sure not to equip any spells on any creature so that Murder of Crows is the only spell they have
6) Next I have a Lich Shadowcaster that makes all of my creatures cast Death spells as if they had 100% more Intelligence
7) Then there's a Raven Acolyte which gives my entire party 30% more intelligence, fused with a Water Priest which makes this Raven Acolyte share 15% of his intelligence with the entire party each time it takes a turn.
8) And a Raven Ritualist, which deals 20% of its intelligence as damage to every enemy every time one of my creatures casts a spell.
9) And I fused something with a rift dancer that makes all effects that trigger on Defend trigger an extra time

So in battle I just have all six of my creatures Defend, which triggers each of them to cast this large Murder of Crows AOE spell, which triggers the Raven Ritualist to deal additional AOE damage to the entire party. And then there are even MORE traits I've stacked on like casting a spell has a chance to give my creatures a random buff, my creatures are immune to intelligence-reducing debuffs, etc. And all of my creatures hover around ~80-90% chance to dodge, with 50% chance to dodge spells.

This might sound overpowered and, yeah, it is - and so is every build in Siralim, and so are enemy party comps, which will occasionally hard counter you, and that means always being ready to tweak the team to counter what I'm up against. Then there are literally hundreds of other party comps I can think of looking at just the list of creatures I've got so far (42 floors in, there are 150 total currently in the game) plus however many hundreds more that I'm not clever enough to think of.

There's ALSO a mode you can enable that regularly forces you into different classes/specs which makes you re-evaluate your build basically every single dungeon run which is rad and I can't wait to unlock it

Game owns

Is all this stuff accessible early on? I know when I played Siralim 3 I jumped into it wanting to make crazy synergy combos or whatever, but the monster selection was narrow enough early on that I spent most of the first ~half or so of the story campaign just picking whatever had beefy stats and slamming attack because I couldn't make any cool synergistic team comps.
That different-specs-each-dungeon mode sounds pretty neat though! The interesting part about Siralim is setting up cool teams, much more than the actual fighting.. I got bored and quit in Siralim 3 after a few hours of running around post-story dungeons with a busted setup and oneshotting everything on the first turn with piercing dragon claws.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also I picked up DemonCrawl cus people were saying good things about it and it looked neat and hey, this minesweeper game is real fun.
If you like sweeping mines (or puzzle games in general), go pick it up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

central dogma posted:

I haven't played ffxiv for a while now, but continuing to pay the subscription and logging in periodically so I dont lose my housing plot (a great view in the Mist). A money sink that I'm not even playing :cry:

They temporarily turned off auto-demolition for housing back in March.

I'm not sure if you can keep it while unsubbed but you don't have to log in to touch the house at least.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm struggling to think of the game, but I remember one had a system where if crit chance exceeded 100% then you got a guaranteed crit and then the excess chance became the odds of getting a second free crit off the same attack. I liked that.

That's the way Warframe works.
If your weapon has 100 damage, a 3x critical multiplier, and 125% crit chance, you'll have a 75% chance to do 300 damage and a 25% chance to do 500 damage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pierson posted:

Are there any other games like Glass Masquerade? Basically; very aesthetically pretty but fairly simple puzzle games? My mom loved them and wants some more puzzle games for Christmas but Steam wants to recommend a bunch of FPS games with puzzle elements, or complex 3D puzzle environments, and stuff like that. She really just wants something more complex than jigsaws and prettier, but not more complex than Solitaire.

If she likes minesweeper, DemonCrawl is a fun take on it, although it might be a little more complex than she wants because it adds a bunch of random items and RPG mechanics.

e: Not exactly a puzzle game either but Cultist Simulator is a super neat single-player card game with a lot of story/lore focus.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 20, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The only games allowed to use RTWP are FTL and tower defence games

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You've gotta go to the codex from the main menu, which lists all the items you've found in your games.
Search for whatever item you wand and click on it to favor/unfavor it.

It doesn't seem to be a huge probability nudge though. I've had "leftovers" as my favored item for ages and only seen it 3 times.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Not a Children posted:

Thanks for the responses y'all. I was specifically looking for a non-MMO as some of the people I play with will not do a subscription-model game, though maybe I can talk em into at least doing the trial period.

The FFXIV free trial is really long now. It used to just be levels 1-35 which is the most boring part of the game, but now It goes all the way through to level 60 -- the entire base game and the first expansion (out of three).
I'm still not sure if it'll be what you're looking for though. There are a bunch of dungeons and raids you could do with a party of 4 at those higher levels but there'll be a lot of playing through story quests solo to get there.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hub Cat posted:

The controls on launch were Relative Controls(tank controls) the absolute control scheme was added as part of the 2017 relaunch. Brigador is not a twin-stick shooter and the control scheme difference is actually meaningful in gameplay.

The original/default/relative controls for antigravs are extremely stupid.
Unlike the tanks and mechs, they can move in any direction without having to turn. So obviously they don't use tank controls, which are all about turning.
Just use WSAD for forward/backward/left/right, right? Well, the game does that, except the movement is all relative to your mouse position. W moves towards the mouse always, and A moves 90 degrees counterclockwise from that, etc.
Aim at an enemy straight eastward? Now W moves East and A moves north. :psyduck:

Absolute controls are a million times better than that crazy scheme.

Tank controls work just fine for the actual tanks/mechs though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It was around the same time as they ditched Greenlight and said "okay we give up we will just host literally any game you can upload"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
And before then the straight-up hentai games sold a censored version on steam and put a link to the "free nudity patch" in the store page description

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MagusDraco posted:

Whoo got owned by a phishing scam and I must have given a login token to someone else who went and got to 14 people on my friends list (at least) before I took my account back.

if I sent you a weird message asking you to vote for my CSGO team or something on some website, that was 100% a phishing attempt. For whatever reason they didn't try to change my password/email/remove the steamguard so I dunno if all they can do with the phishing attempt is get a login token but either way don't be a dummy like me and just go to a link sent to you by a steam friend you haven't talked to in years.

Luckily they didn't like...sell or do anything on my account besides send out messages trying to scam more accounts (not like there's anything of worth in my inventory) but still ugh. Wish I remember who it was that had gotten me but it was several days ago and they only just hit my account earlier tonight.

Check your blocked user list too
the worm or whatever it is auto-blocks everyone who tries to respond to the phishing link with "hey your account is compromised"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
that doesn't look anything like 90s-00s games though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Volte posted:

It really doesn't make any sense to disallow purchase at all, even if it doesn't subtract the value of games you already own. You should be able to pay "full price" for the bundle at any time.

There's probably some legal/regulatory reason that they don't want to sell you a bundle for more than it'd cost to buy everything separately. So if the publisher doesn't enable bundle completion they just don't sell the bundle to you at all to avoid any issues.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

Of all the fuckin' games to come out, I was not expecting one based around a supporting cast member of a cheezy old anime that was only about western (/D&D) exoticism. I'd totally buy anything based off of Knights of the Zodiac, shh

Regardless, why would you do early access of a Metroidvania? You only ever get one good, magical, playthrough of any given one, it's such a waste.

I don't understand why people buy early access games in general.
I'll wishlist it and wait for it to be "done", there are plenty of other games to play in the mean time.

The only EA games I've really bought have been multiplayer ones, or ones that looked feature-complete already.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just downloaded Enlisted since some goons were talking about it last page. Let me vomit some thoughts about it

• Running around popping dudes with bolt action rifles is pretty cool! The mechanic where you play as a whole squad and can instantly switch to one of your 6 AI buddies after getting headshot makes it feel pretty chill and low-stakes even when you die, which keeps the game feeling fun and arcadey instead of hardcore despite the 1-hit-kill gameplay.
  • Managing all the levels and inventories for 4 squads of 5-6 soldiers each seems like it could get very annoying, especially since you need to buy stuff like grenades and medpacks separately for every soldier in every squad. (Just once though -- they aren't consumed or anything.) My starting squad had all that stuff but when I unlocked a new assault squad they were basically naked.
  • Your levels and inventories of soldiers/guns/equipment are totally separate between the axis and allies, but the gacha tickets you use to actually get new stuff are shared. So if you spend all your tickets getting guns for your Allies squads you will have nothing left to outfit your Axis squads with. Seems like the game wants you to just pick one and stick with it, which makes it weird that by default the "join either team" box is ticked in multiplayer. Same thing applies for switching between the 2 current "campaigns" (aka map packs?), Moscow and Normandy.
  • The respawn system (after your whole squad gets wiped out) is incredibly opaque and I have no idea what's going on. When you get wiped out as one squad you can't choose that same squad to respawn next time, which makes sense. But once you have 3+ squads equipped it seems like only one of them is selectable each time? And there's a timer on the respawn screen for "next squad arrives in X seconds" constantly ticking but it doesn't seem to do anything -- when it hits 0, none of the crossed-out squads become available :confused:
  • the p2w elements seem not that impactful... the difference between a 5* soldier and a 1* is that the 5* can get more level-up perks but none of the perks seems like huge gamechangers. They're stuff like faster wall-mantling or crawl speed. I don't really know about the guns though. At least the basic springfield/kar98 seem to 1-hit-kill just fine even at 1*, but the 5* version has "-35% shots deviation, +15% rate of fire, +15% hit power", which sounds pretty significant. You can still get those as a f2p of course but someone who spends lots of real money cash on the gun lootboxes will get a lot more of them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Joe Man posted:

Finally installed Hollow Knight. Anything major I should know before getting too far in? Just got the dash and hoping I make it back to my ghost holding like 1k souls.

The post-release 'free dlc' content is all hidden in weird obscure ways that you probably won't find on your own. The Godmaster content is a sort of boss-rush mode (you unlock more bosses as you beat them in the main game), and the Grimm Troupe stuff is a bunch of extra fights and NPCs and a sidequest that you can do throughout your playthrough. I never even knew they existed until I started looking stuff up to get the 100% ending.

Once you get the Dream nail upgrade a decent ways into the game, you can access both. The Godshome is behind a hidden wall in the Royal Waterways. The Grimm Troupe content starts by interacting with something behind two hidden walls in the Howling Cliffs, which iirc is a completely optional area that you might never enter.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kibayasu posted:

If you hate hidden bonfires Dark Souls 2 takes it to astounding levels.

The DS2 bonfire warp menu has an empty space for every undiscovered one IIRC. So at least you know when there's a hidden bonfire in an area, if you don't know where it is.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 29, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I've never played a Musou game but I figured I wanna try one. It looks like some are on sale for the Golden Week thing... is Dynasty Warriors 8 the go-to? It looks like 9 pivoted to some open world thing and got a lot of negative reviews.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ciaphas posted:

Enlisted looks pretty fun but I'm getting the impression that the F2P monetizing is pretty predatory. True?

I'd tend to agree with that. It doesn't seem especially P2W but It's very grindy to unlock stuff as f2p and there are a lot of places trying to get you to spend money.
It has some kind of gacha system for soldiers and weapons where you pay bronze/silver tickets (or realmoney cash) to get a random one from 1- to 5-star rating, or you can trade 3 max-level 1-star soldiers in for a single 2-star soldier etc etc which seems like it's just designed to suck a million bucks out of stupid whales, except 5 star soldiers are barely different from 1 star ones in gameplay :confused:.

The real sticking points for me are
1. The soldiers don't start with appropriate weapons, so every Sniper, "Assaulter" (smg trooper), Machine Gunner, etc starts with just a basic bolt-action and you have to buy their specialized weapon separately (plus grenades and medpacks).
and 2. Unlocks are completely separate between the different campaigns and between axis vs allies, but your unlock tickets are shared! Meaning if you want to play a different map pack or as defenders instead of attackers you need to grind all that poo poo all over again.

It's still pretty fun though, and playing a squad of dudes with springfields/mosins/kar98s is just fine for most purposes since the basic rifle is even a 1-hit bodyshot kill. Though you'll swear every time you see a tank until you can grind enough bronze tickets to buy the anti-tank grenades for all your squad members.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 30, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've been playing a few rounds each day. I've started just sticking with one team though. Playing both for each campaign would just mean its gonna take forever to unlock new weapons. It already feels like its gonna take awhile to unlock a sidearm for my dudes. The gameplay is pretty fun though. I think I saw someone recommend that you spend your upgrade points on the squad xp bonus first, so thats what I'm doing.

Unequip the 3 sidearms from your starting tank crew. Those are the only ones you'll have for a while. The only other way to get them is a 4%ish chance every time you use a bronze weapon order to roll the weapon gacha.
Probably not worth giving them to anyone other than snipers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thats good to know! Is throwing the dynamite bundles at the tanks the best way otgerwise to deal with them? Or do you end up unlocking something more useful?

The explosive packs can oneshot tanks, and you can cook them long enough that they're unavoidable especially since the tank's FOV is so narrow that they'll never notice you hanging out to their side. If you feel extra spicy you can just walk right up to them while cooking the pack and let it explode in your dude's hands. Trading one of your 6 lives for a whole tank is not a bad deal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zesty posted:

Is there a reason NOT to bring a random player to assist you on bosses? In any Dark Souls?

It's fun to go through that process of figuring out the boss's moveset and "if I dodge this attack in this way I can get a hit in, but don't get too greedy after Y or I'll eat poo poo", etc etc...
But darksouls bosses are mostly pretty dumb and only focus on one player at a time, so in multiplayer it changes a lot towards just "is it focusing on the other guy? OK I can stab the boss in the rear end for free. Is it focusing on me? crap just dodge dodge dodge!"
Playing in co-op can be fun for other reasons but it does change the way bossfights play a lot in ways some players will find less engaging.

Plus, if you solo it the first time through you can still co-op afterwards to get both experiences! That's what I did for bosses I liked.
But there isn't really a system to re-fight bosses solo, so if you go through in co-op the first time you can't see the solo version of the fight until NG+.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 2, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MarcusSA posted:

This part is pretty interesting because it shows they give the devs a fixed dollar amount and don’t give anything for each unique download.

Fez for example got $75k for like 2.5 million downloads lol

Also someone in the other thread said that each customer costs Epic $240 but the paying ones cost $3400 lol.

That free games chart linked above shows their "user acquisition" cost as varying from $0.32 to $12 depending on the game, averaging out at $2.37.
For example they paid $1.5mil for Batman Arkham Collection and got 613,912 new (free) users.

The other link shows that 7.13% of people who join for free games eventually buy something. With $2.37 cost per user that means it costs Epic $33.24 to get a paying user through the weekly-free-games program.
The chart also shows that those converted-from-free-games users spend an average of $40.00, meaning Epic's free game program is actually somehow a net profit?

Although these numbers might be totally wrong because "users acquired first via free game" probably includes Fortnite as well.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 4, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah and Kojima made that naked sniper lady "genetically unable to wear shirts" for in universe reasons too
if you write the universe after you write the horny parts, anything can have in-universe explanations

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
time to hand in my MGS Titty Lore Expert card

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Dark souls 2's pvp was pretty fun! I spent ages just hanging out in that bell tower playing both sides of the rat covenant fights while trying out different weapons.

And unlike ds1 it doesn't degenerate into everyone going for lagport backstabs or fishing for instant 0-frame-delay parries at higher skill levels.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DatonKallandor posted:

Personally I'm also salty about them loving up pyromancy by making it scale off of stats instead of just the flame implement. You know, the innate power of all humanity that everyone is supposed to be innately able to use...now has stat requirements. Making it functionally identical to dark magic.

It wasn't exactly equivalent to dark magic.
IIRC dark scaled of the lower of your 2 casting stats, so it forced you to keep them equal -- 20 wisdom and 99 int did the same damage as 22 wisdom and 20 int. But pyro scaled off the average of your casting stats, so it was equally good for dark, miracle, or sorcery builds.
Still weak for non-caster builds, sadly... There were at least a handful of spells that were decent without stat investment (the poison mist and some self-buffs).

e: ^^^ the DS2 previews showed a game where darkness was a real game mechanic and you would go get a torch to explore in a castle cellar or whatever. If you design a game like that and then let players ignore the lighting system or need for a torch by just turning up lighting/contrast, you've hosed up royally as a developer. You're basically giving people the option between "game looks good but I have to deal with annoying torch mechanics" or "game looks lovely but at least I can loving see"

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 10, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So does that amazon New World mmo have anything new to offer for its combat or is it same old mmo "rotation" based combat.

I played in the open beta a while back and I can say it's like the exact opposite of rotation based combat. It plays like a (kind of shallow) 3d action game.

You can equip one of a a few weapons: hatchet, sword and shield, big hammer, fireball staff, healing staff, bow, or musket. Each of those weapons has its own independent skill tree with a few passives and actives, but you can only equip 3 active skills at a time. So basically you have a few skills you use kinda infrequently and then you spend the rest of the time in combat mashing leftclick to smack stuff (or aiming your musket or charging your fireball staff or whatever). There's also a dodge roll to dodge enemy attacks.

These skills vary in effect and interestingness, like one of the hatchet skills gives you 3 throwing axes to huck at enemies on like a 5-7 second cooldown so you can do a hybrid ranged/melee kinda thing (and if you aim right you can headshot the zombies or other brainless MMO mobs with them). One of the musket skills let you aim and throw sticky grenades that blow up a few seconds later, while another just gives +X% damage to your next aimed shot. One of the bow skills gives you a buff that lets you see enemies through trees/walls. One of the sword-n-board skills was some kind of defence buff on like a 60 or 120 second cooldown, which means you're giving up one of your only 3 skill slots for something that feels like it does literally nothing.

You can equip a secondary weapon set and swap between the two whenever, but cooldowns are shared between the two weapons, so if you use the healing-staff's teleport skill for mobility in combat before switching back to your axe, whichever axe skill goes on that same hotkey will be on a 20 second cooldown.

At the time of the beta it was really light on content and it looked like they were focusing on faction-vs-faction pvp as the only real endgame content. There was, AFAIK, zero party-based instanced content, and like one boss that you could fight by farming normal mobs in a certain area until they dropped a key to the arena. I'm not sure if they've changed this at all. But it was originally supposed to launch months and months ago -- feedback from the public beta test hit them hard enough that they decided to delay it and rework tons of stuff. So who knows how much has changed.

The game seems to have really weak management direction -- like, originally it was some kind of Rust-style survival-crafting game before it got retooled into an mmo, and there's still some weird vestiges of that like being able to craft a campfire out in the field where you can then make some basic stone gathering tools or extra arrows or food, but you can also make all that crap plus a lot more higher-level higher-quality crap at the real crafting stations in town.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The dark souls games feel like they're really designed around other players' messages "spoiling" surprises though.
There's so many secret doors with no indication or hidden enemy ambushes right around a corner that seem like they're basically designed for other players to point them out with soapstone messages.