Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You have a goddamn chainsaw duel in RE7. It's campy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

luxury handset posted:

frostpunk is like a light puzzle city builder and resource management game where the devs want to force you to consider the merits of child labor and cannibalism. one of those "tough moral choices" kind of games like papers please that's not mechanically difficult to play, but emotionally difficult

To be fair, some parts of Papers Please do get pretty stressful and a little mechanically difficult due to some of the curve balls and small things to notice. That and the limited time to process the 'tough moral choices' does make it somewhat effective in both fields. And don't get me started on how to organise your desk.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Is this Terminator game ...good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/
93% positive reviews but the trailer, screenshots, and even the description on the store page are so that it seems like it should be awful. But it's so well reviewed! Anyone tried it? They even have a featured Youtube review that gives it a 4/10 Bad review. Why would they put that there? E: oh that might be an Augmented steam thing.

It's an extremely ok game clearly made with a fair bit of love for the source material, by devs who released the really not very good Rambo light gun game. The fact that it actually has at least one fantastic standout section that makes the generic terminators genuinely terrifying alone is quite a surprise. It's a fair few notches above the Terminator Salvation game, which I thought was an okay co-op romp at least.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Total War DLC is fine, unlike Paradox DLC. You never get whole features locked up behind DLC, just characters and factions, and even then, it's just playing as them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

The difference between Soulsborne and Sekiro to me is that Dark Souls and Bloodborne give you ways to engage with and modify the difficulty. No difficulty settings needed because you can stats or weapon your way out of problems if needed. Sekiro essentially gives you one and only one approach to the game. It would lose nothing with difficulty settings. I find that kind of difficulty extremely boring.

You’re absolutely right difficulty is subjective though.

I see Sekiro as a throwback to the classic "Nintendo Hard" style of game. Except far more forgiving, since you have infinite lives. Either enough rote memorisation or technical mastery will get yourself through. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and the technical side is often hobbled in Soulsborne games due to bad UI, unexplained stats and mechanics, and so on.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Volte posted:

Why do people keep trying to bring it back to an "entitled" or "accessibility" argument? I'm not outraged that Sekiro isn't "for me", I'm disappointed that such a fantastic set of gameplay mechanics is wrapped in a game loop that involves so much wasted time. Disrespecting my time is absolutely the number one reason I stop playing games.

Games that have an overwrought death screen are infuriating. Rewind, save states or instant single button taps are ideal - just get me back in as fast as possible. Sekiro's actually kinda better than the other games for that, what with its extra life mechanic. Give me that button push, but just send me back to the last checkpoint and show me moving there at high speed instead of a loading screen! Don't give me time to think "this is bullshit"!

caldrax posted:

Loading screens? You realize that until the last few years this has been entirely a limitation of technology right? And if they were going to avoid this they'd be having you crawl through a thin corridor like God of War, are you complaining of all the time wasted every time you have to crawl through a duct or something? Games could entirely be construed as a waste of time if you choose to, or you can think fondly on them for what they gave to you or taught you, but again, that's all on you.

Loading screens usually suck, and those trick ones like the crawls can be okay if they're well disguised, or intolerable if not, like elevators in Mass Effect. But the ones that keep you engaged, like the old Dragon Ball games on PS2 with the minigames? Those were great. And the aforementioned ones like in God of War try to keep you in the game by making you continue to push the button to make the animation happen. It's daft little stuff like that.
It's not just been a limitation of technology, like everything, they can be designed around to be less egregious.

Also, I think the big thing here isn't loading screens as transitions, since they can be a good break, but rather loading screens after death. The less loading, the better, but I think that's where it damages the flow of the game the most. If you had even a five second loading screen after each death in Hotline Miami, far less people would've liked it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

credburn posted:

Hey gang, I absolutely love FrostPunk but I loving hate playing it. I'm not even that far into the game. What's really bothering me is that there seems to be a ridiculous amount of micromanagement for a game that doesn't have a UI built around that core idea. I'm only as far as there are people gathering in numbers who want to return to London, but it's already overwhelming. It's difficult, which I would be okay with, if it wasn't so frustratingly tedious as I'm also losing. Uh, I guess, my question is... is that everyone's experience with this game? Does it get better? Does it get less tedious? Is there a "hump" worth overcoming, some part that just needs to be endured so that the real game can start?

Frostpunk definitely does not require much micromanaging other than occasionally clicking certain buttons in certain buildings to get one of the two bars up. Once the game clicks with you, it becomes far too easy and unfortunately I just kinda stumbled onto a winning strategy from my first try.

Strategy spoiler:
Lots of hunters, one cookhouse, get a few coal pile makers around a pair of gathering huts. Don't bother with the farm building, the Hothouse. Avoid having to use the sawmill and get the Wall Drill as quickly as possible. Use as many scouts as possible and keep them out in the wild exploring as much as possible - only send them back when they find people.

Scenario spoiler:
You'll also find that each scenario, including the main one you're on, will always just have a few limp curveballs that can destroy you on your first run, but any future run, you just have to adjust accordingly and you'll be fine.

I will say that while I hated my time with the game, I was thoroughly captivated and played every scenario a couple times. I think I went into it just hoping it'd be something it wasn't.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I assume that stuff is intentional, it's trying to frustrate you into going full nazi so it can then pull it's gotcha on you.

Here's the thing that really gets me though, some of the gotcha stuff really ain't. For example, prisons: if you don't have them, the only thing you can do is execution by sending them into the frozen wilderness. So instead, you keep them in a warm building for perpetuity. You want to release people from prison? You make them swear loyalty. Which also means that they become informants for your regime. Also, serving soup is looked down upon, because people in the frozen hellscape are gourmets I guess.

The only decisions that actually have a reasonable element of choice on the slippery slope into tyranny the game's obviously trying to make you go down are in relation to child labour, which is just as laughable. Yes, allowing children to work in the kitchens - naturally warm places - is in fact a better thing to do than have them assist in amputations at the clinic. And that's mutually exclusive with letting them build prototypes and do science stuff in the workshops.

Don't even get me started on how daft it is that "Order" and "Faith" are mutually exclusive. Frostpunk just magnificently falls flat in every aspect of morality and (once you find the solution) survival/management.

Mzbundifund posted:

The graphics are evocative and they certainly spent a lot of effort into making the place look really drat cold, with the way the wind and snow effects suppress the feeble furnace glows, but the game is not randomized enough to surprise you, nor is it systems-driven or freeform enough to allow any creativity, so once you've enjoyed the graphics it's hard to justify more than one playthrough.

I wouldn't call it a "misery simulator" since there's so little simulation. It might be miserable, but there's no connection with your populace outside of the research flavor text that is the same every time. Sometimes you can win while still choosing options that have less sad flavor text, but that's mostly just because you picked an easier difficulty or else memorized the optimal sequence of moves. Maybe get it on sale if you're interested, but I wouldn't expect too much. It's a pretty shallow snowdrift.

It's a real waste that you can click each individual citizen, and named people pipe up with complaints or praise, yet that's ultimately meaningless.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Japan really loves Joan of Arc for some reason and I think that's the only reason!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Orv posted:

People tend to violently overstate it but I think Alexios/Kassandra is kind of the same thing as Shep/Femshep. Shephard/Alexios is totally fine, they're just kind of bland. Unlike Shephard though Alexios does become interesting thanks to the happenings of Odyssey if you're playing Kassandra.

I agree, but Shepard and Alexios aren't bland. They've both got an added bit of comedic charm compared to their female counterparts, who are much better dramatically. FemShep is a better and more well rounded character, and I assume Kassandra is too, but Alexios and Shepard just crack me up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Serephina posted:

...? You answered your own question then, it's a reference to monster infighting. The entire game is stuffed with camp callouts. There is no lore, it's Doom ffs

They also want to know the actual mechanics of it, as well as the lore. Doom 2016/Eternal lore is great, making you a John Wick type figure to the demons, as well as the huge variety of different bits of corporate greed and whatnot.

The new Doom games are absolute slam dunks in all respects.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think Crysis was great, and wish they'd developed the original concept more, but Crysis 2 and 3 were great shooters. The original just had a certain unique Predator energy that wouldn't be approached until Far Cry 3, but even those games were a fair few notches down.

Crysis is one of the few games that makes you feel like a believable super soldier taking out tanks and helicopters, retaining the vulnerability of an individual on the ground while offering a collection of powers that are individually eh but when combined can have great effect. 2 and 3 lost that feeling. They're not bland, or generic, but the reduced scope made it feel less systemic and more hand crafted.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

it's the "but people just enjoy the FEEL of a real newspaper!" argument for video game tech

It's strictly true, in that it conveys a full 3D picture instead of a 2D one on a flat screen. That doesn't really do anything for me other than improve depth perception (which is super handy for War Thunder or any other flight sims) and that's it. The pure visual side of it is like 3D movies but better in every way, as a super reductive comparison.

I still really dig using my hands 1-to-1, unlike the motion controller fad. Alyx seems to do that really drat well, so I'm excited to play it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I thought 3 was fantastic, up until the point where they kill off the best antagonist. I did like how Jason became more gung ho and more murderhobo as the game goes on, but the hallucination drug poo poo wasn't great. They also really underused the WW2 Japanese bunkers. I also adored 2 at the time, but really cant go back to it. That's a game that needs remaking, just do the original vision but with modern tech, as well as removing some of the more egregious checkpoint respawns.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Irritated Goat posted:

I think it comes from Aerith's mentioning of the 1st person she ever loved, some of the quick shots leading you to the idea this is happened before. It's been since the original release so I'm not even sure if that stuff is in the original or not.

Yeah, that's not new. Original FF7 spoilers, I guess Cloud's not a SOLDIER or some poo poo, he's acquired the stolen memories of Zack Fair, the protagonist of Crisis Core, who dated Aerith?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't worry about me finishing Odyssey, I have problems sticking with AAA games even when I love them. I've just now uninstalled Shadow of Mordor because I can't find the will to play it some more, I abandoned Far Cry 3 and 4 roughly 10-20 hours into each one, and 25+ hours in AssCreed Origins wore me out. I keep thinking I'll reinstall and go back to them, but who knows. This might be a fault with me, but whatever, I enjoyed my time with them.

I fully expect to get 20-40 hours out of Odyssey before I burn out, at which point AssCreed Sequel will probably be out and will lure me away. Who knows!

Surprised that you didn't finish Mordor given how short that one is, but the others are pretty valid.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I actually quite liked the real world sections in AC2 (or Brotherhood, it's been a while) because they were decidedly okay and gave the impression of Desmond actually learning through the Animus which would obviously pay off with a really cool modern day Assassins Creed right?

Nah. All buildup, no payoff.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

wait i forgot they announced saints row 2 remastered

They did?

Also, sidenote, 20 year old X-Wing Alliance gets a VR mod, alongside dynamic cockpits, 6DOF TrackIR support and full support with XWA Upgrade's shiny new models.

Never thought I'd see that game ported to VR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I love the Bungie Halos but even I won't defend the first game's campaign. It's awful by today's standards, but even at release the Library was an internet-wide joke.

There are some absolute standouts in the first game though. The second mission, Silent Cartographer, the opening to Truth and Reconciliation, they're all brilliant and series wide high points. But the Library and the repeat missions are indeed poo poo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

On another note to the Halo nonsense going on, been playing Bannerlord. It's basically just Warband with every improvement you'd want to it. It's not revolutionary, but it's impossible to go back to Warband. The large scale battles are amazing, and sieges are way better. The political/economic game is much more interesting too.

So far I've been amassing a small gang of followers after making tons of cash by playing board games at taverns, fighting gangs in cities and buying up businesses, all while acting as a mercenary officer to one of the three factions vying for control of the Imperial throne, just so me and my gangsters/bandits/businesswomen (oddly every companion I've hired has been female, since I've not encountered any male ones at all? While that's a daft bug, they are also all badasses with "the Wronged" after their name) can raid villages, murder their citizens and take all their stuff. My faction seems to be winning, since I've crippled most of the enemy villages. Not going to upgrade myself to a vassal yet, because I don't want to risk taking over the land I've made utterly worthless. Not my problem.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mordja posted:

Do you know if it was the first?

Cowcaster posted:

i can almost guarantee it was. i think assassin's creed brotherhood was the first copycat that wasn't literally straight up the same combat engine (shadow of mordor)

Prince of Persia Sands of Time did most of what Arkham did a whole console generation earlier.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It lets you charge into Genestealers, killing them by sprinting at them. Somehow it makes this incredibly unsatisfying. The trailer is still spectacular though. If you've not seen it, it's well worth a watch.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, I've seen people carefully pick up pens by actually pinching them between their fingers like you would with a real pen rather than press a "pick stuff up" button, so there is some functionality you would lose. I suppose it's not really "integral" in the sense that it stops you from playing through the game, though.

Other VR controllers have a grip button that works the same. It's usually situated in a position where you just tighten your grip to activate it. The Index basically just has that for every finger. Just slightly more fidelity.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You've already played AC1 and 2, but I may as well just do this post for the whole series.

Definitely play AC1. It's the most interesting of the whole series, because it's from back when most of its ideas were pretty experimental. Altair also has a fairly simple arc, which is alright alongside the general establishment of the core series lore.

2 is a must play after that. Once you play 2, you've played most of the series up until Origins and Odyssey - the core formula doesn't appreciably change.

If you really like Ezio, the protagonist of 2, play through Brotherhood and Revelations too. It carries Ezio's story into his old age, and I actually thought it was a pretty neat and rare character arc from literal childbirth to the grave. You do end up genuinely missing Ezio Auditore da Firenze by the end. Maybe I feel that more because I played them as they came out. Feel free to drop the two sequel Ezio games at any point if you want to move on.

3 has a fantastic introduction, but once you reach the actual protagonist it's only good nowadays if you're a big War of Independence buff. Even at the time, some of the notable features like the battles weren't terribly exciting. The crazy King Washington DLC is pretty fun though.

All of the games before this point are all directly connected in the present day meta narrative, but only 2-Revelations are directly connected, with some callbacks to 1. So, the only games that really demand chronological for the Animus segments are 2->Brotherhood->Revelations, while the meta plot with Desmond just adds 1 to the top and 3 to the bottom of that chain. Missing nothing substantive if you skip to 4.

4 expands on the naval combat introduced in 3, and turns it from fun minigame to more than half of the actual game. Edward Kenway is a fun protagonist, and the game is full of charm. It's a kinda prequel to 3, seeing as you play as the main character of 3's grandfather, but other than that and a few recurring side characters in the present day meta narrative, it's not linked. If you want more naval combat, also grab Rogue. Freedom Cry is okay.

Unity and Syndicate are very throwaway. They're beautiful, but just more of the same old same old. IIRC they're the same as 4 in terms of plot links - just a few recurring side characters in the meta narrative. I think one or both of them might not even have one? I tuned out of them at this point.

Origins and Odyssey have a few lines at the start of the game for the meta narrative. Otherwise it's irrelevant. The gameplay also belongs in a different franchise. I'm in the minority, in that I dislike these two due to them being RPGs where level and stats really matter in terms of damage dealing and zone gating and whatnot, whereas all the other games have none of that, except for settlement or ship upgrades, or minimal combat boosts. Stealth kills not always being kills, even against mooks, kinda ticks me off. Reminds me of the new Ghost Recon before they added the mode that takes all that poo poo out.

Liberation was barely OK for the Vita. It is definitely not worth playing on PC. Don't bother with the 2D side scrollers. Otherwise, the worst you'll get is bland or buggy in the Assassins Creed series.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes, definitely skip AC 1. It's like a proof of concept for the series where they were so busy establishing things they ran out of time to add meaningful content in between assassinations.

I dunno, it's one that is impossible to go back to, relatively short and playing it is one hell of a way to set your expectations for 2. Maybe don't bother finishing it, but definitely play it for a few hours.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think the football analogy is good for Sea of Thieves, but there's also the win or loss aspect that gets people playing and wanting to improve. With Sea of Thieves, that victory/defeat loop is a bit ill defined. Instead of winning a whole cohesive gameplay loop, you can win or lose at a certain set of activities individually, which I guess is why they made that arena mode.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think I would have less fun with it and would avoid more enemies than I do. The gameplay of Dark Souls is solid, but it can also get repetitive. The constant sense of success that you receive from souls and dropped items makes difficult or frustrating enemies feel like less of an annoyance or obstacle and more like a reward in the waiting. It gives a game more staying power in my eyes. Does that make any sense to you?

Reward and feedback loops are very interesting. I think with Dark Souls, the reward is definitely in beating the boss fights, but souls are a means to that end. Maybe the first time beating hard normal enemies too, but once that reward fades and it becomes commonplace, then they become a means to the harder enemies and bosses via souls. Or alternatively you're just a loot treadmill kinda guy and that's fair enough too. Point is, in its normal mode, Sea of Thieves has none of that tied together, so even if some parts of it are fun, it just doesn't mesh together in an enjoyable loop.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Trickyblackjack posted:

Beat RE2make and it's great. But I did wonder why they didn't just use this new engine/gameplay on a RE8 instead of these remakes though. It's not like I had experienced a transcendent narrative that needed retelling. That being said, I did quite like Claire and her drive to go above and beyond what would be expected from a regular random person to protect Sherry was genuinly touching.

RE2make and RE3make imho were pretty necessary to rescue the originals from a dead style of game that was already perfected by RE1make. It's preservation, renovation, and the nostalgia bait view isn't just for money making. Lots of the devs were probably pretty hyped to work on a new version of their favourite game.

Also, RE8 is probably also going to be on RE Engine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

err posted:

Does the original Final Fantasy 7 hold up? I never played it but with all the talk about the remake, I kinda want to.

Graphically, no. If you've not played the prior FF games, then definitely. If you have, you kinda get a little annoyed at how most of the plot points are lifted straight from them, as well as some of the music. As a whole though, the story is pretty good, and actually pulls off some pretty cool narrative tricks that haven't really been repeated all that much? I'd recommend watching or reading an LP though if you're not into that style of menu based JRPG.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Albinator posted:

That was in fact the point where I noped the gently caress out of there. I thought the treatment was horrific. "Such a happy kid, who knows what he's thinking" - probably not actually what you made us sit through, guessing it was a bit less cheerful all round. Very much not for me.

It's been a little while, but isn't that scenario from the writings of a doctor or the father or somebody, trying to make it seem less tragic and cheerful to try to help the grieving mother? I thought it was quite poignant and powerful in that context. The way you described it made it sound like Hatred.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I watched a 20-minute video about how Far Cry 2 was better because coconuts fall from the trees when you shoot them and now I'm convinced, this is the most important thing in a video game.

To be fair, the little things like that are quite nice to have. If it's this video then I think some features like the much more involved enemy AI treatment of wounded, their ability to play dead, being able to clear branches with gunfire, all that genuinely contributes to muh immersion while also having some palpable gameplay impact while also being way more memorable.

But those loving checkpoints.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

K8.0 posted:

To be fair to Far Cry (as much as I despise the series), increasing graphical fidelity while decreasing actual interaction and the amount of mechanics in general has been a trend across basically all games for the past 10-15 years. Crowbcat has a bunch of videos showing this across many series, as do some other youtubers.

Yeah, it's perhaps my least favourite modern trend. I'm hoping Watch Dogs Legion has a lot of those little things since Clint Hocking's the director on that, and his track record's pretty great - heck, he's the guy behind Far Cry 2 and Chaos Theory. Although to be fair to GTA's decrease in interaction, a lot of the interactions with its physics engine were just a tad uncanny in GTA 4. I'm very much not the squeamish type, but the way people react to being shot in that game were slightly uncomfortable under close scrutiny.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Little details are so nice. I'm thinking of how interact-able everything in Dead Rising's mall was. I ultimately did not click with that game, but drat if I don't appreciate how cool that mall is. You can pick and mess with EVERYTHING.

Dead Rising 2 really upped the ante on that. You've already got interaction with nearly everything, now add in combining them together. If you ever want to go back to Dead Rising, do your first couple playthroughs as just a mess about free roam thing, completely ignore the existence of a plot. After enough time of just booting it up to have silly fun massacring zombies, dressing up and impromptu photoshoots, your stats and map knowledge get to a comfortable enough degree to actually play the game. It's a weird inverted curve.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I will say that it does feel a little Star Trek. The aliens aren't really all that alien anymore, and the banter is pretty Joss Whedon. Personally, think it's pretty fun if a little jarring compared to the prior games and I'm enjoying the banter. The alien friendly society bit would be much more interesting if they didn't just make them humans-but-snake.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

That does sound like a huge pivot compared to the whole “brainwashed bio-engineered vassal species deployed as war machines” characterization of the previous games.

Yeah. The Bureau had much more interesting writing in that regard. It's a shame it was saddled with a mediocre game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

TBH I'm buying it explicitly because of this mechanic because I love the idea/aesthetic of it so much. If the rest of the game surrounding it is also good, that's a nice bonus

It's a great mechanic, but overused. There are some "breaches" where you're just walking five feet in the open, and a fair number that have no options. Doesn't stop it being cool as poo poo though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

All in all I think I like the overall direction, I think. The general thrust of the game is fine, but some things annoy the hell out of me.

It feels like a test bed for changes in XCOM 3, and I'm glad it exists because it'll let them fiddle a lot with the hits and the misses. Lots of folks hated Thrones of Britannia for example, the Total War game, but most of the features most positively reviewed in Three Kingdoms came from it - the more experimental, cheaper side game. I like this model a lot.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

sassassin posted:

I tried the free play of XCOM 2 and have been put off the whole thing when two of my starter squad started wailing that they wanted to go home and then died horribly.

Have I become soft in my old age, or has "realism" gone a bit fetishy/torture porn these days (see modern Tomb Raider games)?

It's just a standard X-Com feature since the original - units panicking when under threat. It's actually much less of a concern in the new XCom games, although the tutorial missions in 1 and 2 are scripted to kill off your squad in order to say "This is XCom, your guys will probably die, try not to have all your eggs in one basket, and it is permadeath."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

bamhand posted:

Please stop giving me flashbacks of OG X-Com where my rookie panics and drops a grenade in the middle of my squad.

Give the X-Com Files a go. It's a very slow start, but it perfectly raises the stakes whereby your X-Files style agents just kinda deal with terror cells and the occasional monster until you start fighting the aliens. Then your super-elite FBI dudes who've finally gotten the clearance to load themselves out with MP5s and kevlar vests get incinerated by sectoids with plasma rifles, like how in the base game Mutons would rip you to shreds when you first encountered them.

It also has my favourite new X-Com faction: Crazy kung-fu doomsday cultists. Yes, they charge you with tonfas and throwing knives. They also knock your guns out of the way in close quarters. The standard human enemies do a great job of making the aliens stand out even more.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OzFactor posted:

Is there any particular reason I wouldn't want to just jump past XCOM straight to XCOM2? I like XCOM-likes but somehow never got around to nu-XCOM--it ran badly on my old laptop, that's probably the reason. But is 2 just an all-around improvement on 1?

Play 1, whether you win or lose accept your first result. If you win, congratulations, that was a simulation on how humanity would win. The aliens used that to beat you. If you lose, the aliens won. Go play XCOM 2 after you've done either one of those. The original reboot has a lot of charm that I think 2 is missing, or rather, just does considerably differently? Purely on gameplay terms though, XCOM 2 utterly invalidates 1.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

One of the many things I love about X-COM Apocalypse is that they added an entire spectrum of emotional trauma for your soldiers to suffer, and also tools to inflict panic and/or despair on the aliens as well.

I don't even remember that. I was always too busy levelling every building with dual HE/Incendiary autocannons. Sure, people would hate me, but then I'd just blow them up and steal their stuff. If the UI wasn't utter dogshit, even by old game standards, it'd be remembered as a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, this is the first time I’ve heard this complaint over XCom of all things. It’s very B-movie sci-fi about it all.