Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So what's the best non-Steam Controller controller purely for Steam Link usage?

After failing to click anything whatsoever in Slay the Spire/Baba Is You through both Parsec/Chrome Remote Desktop, I was completely blown away by Steam Link which is just so incredibly smooth. This is made even more impressive by the fact that I'm connecting through my mobile connection, instead of wifi connection.

So now I'm looking forward to finishing Outer Worlds etc on my phone, just need a proper controller now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding controller for Steam Link usage. I've been gaming purely with M&K all my life, so I have some additional questions regarding the best controller to get:

1. There are some games which has only 1 type of button prompts only, eg Nioh with X360 only. So mapping buttons etc is a pain. Is this the norm?

2. Last time I've read on controllers, you have to use DS4ForWindows to get the PS4 controller to even be recognized, while Xbox controller is plug n play. Is this still the case?

3. If I want to play BotW on Dolphin for example, which controller would be the most functional?

Thanks in advance.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So I've been playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice now, and I really need to vent on something:

Who is the insane dev who actually made a maze which teleports you and/or the levels without any warnings/effects whatsoever? Apparently I've been going round and round in circles, and I only discovered it because the lorestone repeats for several times, and when you are given a branching path:

Left
Right

The correct path is actually to turn around & go back to the previous room. How does that even makes sense?

And almost to the end, if you go to left instead of right, you are again teleported back almost to the start of the maze, again with no indications whatsoever other than the rooms felt familiar.

Only after so much wandering around with the freaking low movement speed because apparently you can't run while carrying a torch, I discovered the secret is the drat shield pattern.

Thankfully the puzzles after that are a little bit more sane, and the combat felt really good in this game especially when you discover its huge depth. Just check out the combat page at Gamefaqs, the combat is really, really good.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Mierenneuker posted:

You might have missed that you could use your torch to light something in the rooms which is a clear indication that you've been there before.

Nah I didn't miss this. Even though there's no actual button prompt, there's a voice prompt for that. However, I just assumed that some of them are naturally lit before I got to the room, since that's kinda a normal thing for games like AC:O, and it's my "first time" to the new room.

baka kaba posted:

Also you can follow the sound of his voice - I'm pretty sure the voices in your head tell you this and complain when you start moving away from it

I've tried to do this, only failing because the sound is not that precise, and I don't expect the maze to be teleporting itself.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ori 2 chat:

I haven't played Ori 1 in the longest time, but is Ori 2 really supposed to be this open/non-linear? After prologue, I literally can go to everywhere that I'm confused on where I'm supposed to go actually. I kinda remember Ori 1 to be a lot more linear than this, at least on the start.

Also, there are multiple stuff that you can do that the game just assumes you have prior knowledge on. Things like wall jumping, etc. Is there a movelist somewhere for me to get my bearings, or do I just have to skim through a LP of the 1st game or something?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Wow, so apparently if you went left instead of right at the very start of Ori 2, you actually learns a completely new interaction - "hold Shift to move objects". Is that a 1-time thing, or would you actually encounter it again later? I just randomly decide to start after discovering that Ori 2 is a lot more non-linear than the 1st one, just to confirm what are the paths that I'm missing.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Oxxidation posted:

finished ori 2. gameplay was solid throughout, got 100% in a hair under 12 hours. though a lot of my victories weren't very graceful, kept rubbing my face on spikes until i could clamber up the extra half-inch needed to get atop a ledge somewhere

i've never been a fan of how saccharine the storytelling in the ori games was, but this one ended well at least

Congrats. Are there any stuff that are permanently missable after certain events in-game? I've just finished the unclogging sequence, and it seems like the whole place is wrecked afterwards. But when I go there just now, there's even a secret below the place you encounter the boss. So it feels to me that there are no missables, but just wanted to confirm.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ori 2:

Is there a buyable skill which actually work underwater? Because I felt so weak in water now - the upgraded Bash is pretty much my sole combat damage underwater, especially for the jellyfish.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Xaris posted:

No. Your option is bash (or more likely just grab and reflect the projectiles back at the arm-spitter things), or you get an upgrade later that makes you dash through water which does some damage but it's kind of pitiful. Underwater combat is really avoidable, just move past poo poo, and the only thing that's even close to dangerous is the arm-spitters but they die in 2 reflected shots anyways.

Ok thanks. So which one of the buyable skills is the best then? Other than Water Breathing/Hammer of course.

P/S: I don't have to equip Ancestral Recall type of skills right? The +25% damage to all boost.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ori 2: Feeding Grounds sequence is probably the first time I've felt the game is unfair. How the hell should I know that the canvas is actually good enough dammit.

In other news, Grapple upgrade is great, and makes those spiders really a walk in the park.

The first BeforeIPlay tip should probably be to disable Bounty shard each time you are fighting a boss. Absolutely zero benefit for the huge penalty.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Hwurmp posted:

Oh, this is another thing Ori players should know: complete the game-spanning Hand To Hand trade quest and you'll get all those secrets on your map for free. Sorry, Lupo.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I literally just bought all 3 stuff from Lupo, so now I can just reload an earlier savegame and lost very small amount of progress.

BTW, any late-game "gold sinks" or something? If no, I guess I can just start disabling Bounty + the additional Spirit Light drop ones, for some real shards. Already got 15k now, and that gold-based shard caps at 6k.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Holy poo poo, that worm chase sequence is pretty much the lowest point of the game, especially when you're on PC using a M&K control.

The fact that there's no middle chase checkpoint seems so strange to me, especially because the game itself is so lenient on the day-to-day platforming and puzzling. It just feels so jarring to die almost to the end and have to repeat the whole drat thing. Almost similar to the very first boss fight, which also feels badly designed.

Of course, what made it worse is that to properly burrow, you have to "point" at the entry point using your WSAD, instead of your mouse. So the chase becomes nigh impossible once you reach the point in which you have to burrow in & out through several sections on the side walls, at least for me.

So just a general tip for those M&K user: just change temporarily to a Keyboard-only control:

WSAD -> Arrow Keys
Right-Click for Grab -> F

This is the default control, so no need to fiddle with settings. It's still hard, don't get me wrong, but I've finally managed to do it after my 5th try or so after doing above, rather than the previous 50+ tries.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So how's the past treatment on preorder stuff for iD Software games?

quote:

Cultist Base Master Level
A remixed version of the campaign level with new challenges and surprises

Is above something that would be available later or something? I don't care about all the other cosmetic stuff.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

explosivo posted:

The Surge 2 is on gamepass now and goddamn I am really enjoying this game! I played a little bit of the first one and thought the idea was cool but it wasn't much fun to play. The sequel feels better in almost every way and the mechanic of "I want that weapon give me your arm" is rad as hell.

Do I need to play Surge 1 first for the story or something? I really hate skipping games in a series.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
What is this Troubleshooter game that actually has a 9/10 rating which is higher than both XCOM: Chimera Squad & Gear Tactics? And also incredibly cheap as well?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children/

Anyone want to share their impressions of the game?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Goddamn, I have like 2k+ games on Steam and I've stayed up multiple nights now playing Legends of Runeterra on my phone. This free-to-play mobile card game doesn't have the right to be this good.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Samuringa posted:

I went way too hard into Shadowverse a couple of weeks ago so I feel ya. Eventually, I got to the point where I'd have to actually pay for card packs or keep eating poo poo 9/10 matches and it really ticked me off how the AI in the campaign would keep 'thinking' in its turns and make the play last much longer than it should, but for three or four days I was either playing card games or thinking about playing card games.
That's the thing though, Shadowverse is incredibly generous at the start especially if you reroll many many times plus all the daily logins etc, but then suddenly you hit a brick wall especially after you've ranked up since last time I've played, the rewards there don't actually reset.

Runeterra however, is like the game of my dreams:

Having interactions & stack like MTG - Check.
Incredibly skill-based like Duelyst - Check.
Much more generous than even Eternal/Gwent - Check.
No mana screw/flood unlike MTG - Check.
No filler cards for draft unlike MTG - Check.
Pretty much draw 2 per turn like old Duelyst - Check.
Made for digital so buffs/nerfs instead of bans - Check.
Can directly buy any cards you want - Check.
Mobile version with minimal battery/data usage - Check.

The draft is also at incredibly high power level, it feels like you are actually building Constructed decks - no more draft chaffs and the like. And that's not even going into the ridiculously innovative Champion system.

The only thing that is not available is a Best-Of-3/sideboarding system, but so far the feeling of RNG influencing my games are very, very low. Going first/second almost didn't matter, and games are won and lost almost purely based on skill.

To be fair I'm barely a week in now playing this game, so I may just actually be in the "honeymoon phase". But drat this game is good.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Not sure what's the forum policy on this, but can some of the Troubleshooter experts here come over to the "Before I Play" thread to contribute some advice on what you should know before you play that game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=811#lastpost

This game seems great, but the complexity is off the charts.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Have anyone here tried One Step From Eden? How is it? Seems like a neat Megaman Battle Network kinda thing.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Bruceski posted:

It's fascinating to learn about those mental things since it's so easy to just assume everyone is "normal" and experiences things the same way you do. And then you get the fun moments of "how much depth perception am I supposed to be seeing" where everyone tries to figure out words to actually describe their perspective; unless you rate close to a 0 in some aspect it can be surprisingly difficult to gauge.

Even outside of actual physical issues processing things you get some stuff in games that's obvious once you notice it but surprisingly opaque if missed. I'm sure almost all of us have had a "I went through the whole game without knowing I could X" moment when someone else happened to hit that button or be standing in the right place to spot and grasp what was going on quickly.

I agree. Like the game I'm currently playing now, Legends of Runeterra. I'm sure that a total newbie to card games can just grasp everything super quickly, since they actually have no reference whatsoever. However, I myself struggle for at least 1 week on understanding the initiative/passing/stack system, since I've kept on comparing the similar features to previous games like MTG and the like. So I pretty much have to unlearn everything I learnt & bad habits etc. Took a much longer than it should.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Finished Doom: Eternal finally after at least a month of putting it off. Final boss is good, 2nd final boss is good, game overall is pretty sweet. The game does innovate a little bit too much though, and this may actually why the game is so polarizing. Some hate it, others love it. I, for one, cannot imagine playing a Doom game after this without the dashes.

XCOM: Chimera Squad very much feels like an XCOM-lite, with matching low budget & all. Sure, the moment to moment XCOM gameplay is there, but overall the game feels very plain overall. I'm probably going to push through the 1st "investigation result" mission & if the game still doesn't grab me, I'm probably just going to throw it back into the backlog.

Gears Tactics on the other hand, feels incredibly flashy & Gears-like. Every finisher is incredibly gory & detailed, every gunshot is loud & good, basically it's almost like a Diablo 3 tactics game, if that makes sense. Still, the lootboxes concept is strange, and the fact that I should actually end my turns multiple times just to reset all the CD's before proceeding to the next engagement feels off-putting a bit, especially with the absolutely no way of manual saving in game. Even now I think of that 1 lootbox I left behind because I accidentally killed off the last enemy by overwatch.

Troubleshooter however, took the crown for now. The graphics are not as good as Gears Tactics & even XCOM: Chimera Squad sometimes, the animation is a little bit stilty even, but the gameplay. The customization. drat this is game seems super good so far. Translation is a little bit wonky, but workable. Plus the dev seems to update the game very frequently, so that felt good.

On mobile, it's Legends of Runeterra as always. Strangely I haven't burnt out yet on the game even when I've been playing it religiously for the last month or so. Plus I haven't even delved into the Constructed part yet, just content with playing Expedition all day every day. I'm probably going to start dipping my toes into Constructed soon though, since I'm going to max out on my region levels now - only 2 left, and the XP is going to be slightly less exciting once they're maxed out.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Since we don't have a general Q&A thread & I'm trying to avoid the main XCOM thread for fear of spoilers, I'm asking this here:

For XCOM: Chimera Squad, are all the buyable stuff like grenades etc 1 time use only, or unlimited use? I want to buy some good stuff like giving my agents 2 actions etc from the market, but if it's 1 time only, I don't think they're worth it.

Also, any missables? Or if I play long enough, I can pretty much get 100% of the stuff in game? Not sure how strict the doomsday timer in this game is.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Guys, am I missing something, or this Gears Tactics game is much harder than XCOM Chimera Squad? I've breezed through Chimera, but I'm having difficulties quite early on in Gears. 1st few missions are OK, but I'm fighting Berserkers now, and against them the guns felt like peashotters.

In fact the frag grenades in this game felt incredibly good and satisfying, but since it's on cd I do need to use the guns sometimes. Health is also quite low since I kept on getting 1 or 2 shotted by Berserkers. Already known about closing up E-Holes and such, just curious if there's something I'm missing especially related to skill trees and such.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

err posted:

Choose one: Monster Train or Griftlands?

They sound like similar games to StS

I've bought both this sale. So far Monster Train is leagues better.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Artelier posted:

Major plot beats -> hang out with friends -> dungeon diving -> repeat

or

Major plot beats -> hang out with friends -> dungeon diving -> repeat

Are you typoing something, or did you just use "or" to describe 2 exactly same situation? I've just lost multiple minutes of my life trying to find the differences.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Has anyone played this Gujian3 game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/994280/Gujian3/

It really looks good both graphic-wise & gameplay-wise, and Steam reviews are pretty nice, but video reviews from mainstream review outlets are non-existent unfortunately.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need to play more of it to have an actual review-worthy opinion BUT real quick:

- if you want a character action rpg, get the Witcher / AssCreed Origin/Odyssey
- if you want the more action/spectacle stuff in the gujian3 style, get Bayonetta or the Devil May Cry series
- if you must have the asian flavoring, Nioh or (haven't played this yet myself) Toukiden

and if you MUST have a chinese action rpg with specifically chinese storytelling and flavoring, Gujian3.

I played the prologue chapter where you're a dying king - yet overpowered. You learn the combat with a fully beefed character, discover that you're dying and your twin brother still doesn't want the throne (as he's lived on earth and hates spirit people) and in order to protect your capital you fight a boss fight that's actually a little tricky.

Then chapter one starts and you're the twin brother back on earth teaching kids how to fight before going off to do chores.

Combat was roughly fine on a keyboard/mouse but a controller is better. The translation is fine but like, note that my tolerance is extremely high for this kind of thing and I'm playing community/fan-translated Scroll of Taiwu.

I intend to play more soon, as it's a solid 34.4 gigs on my harddrive and either I play a game that big or I uninstall it. (honestly that goes for any game 10 gigs and up, I want to play what I have installed, not stare at it and never play it)

Nice one Strix, thanks for the mini-review. I've literally played all the games you listed as alternatives though, and I don't really mind wonky translation as long as the gameplay itself is good & the story makes sense, so yeah, looking forward to more of your impressions.

pentyne posted:

I saw it described as kind of free roam chinese arpg with better combat then Witcher 3. I bought it in the sale and I'll probably play it soon and have some opinions.

Nice, looking forward to your opinions then.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Can someone help me to get into Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night please? This game seems like awfully my jam, and I absolutely love Hollow Knight & similar Metrovanias, but this game's combat feels incredibly light & floaty. Like there's no weight to my attacks. Granted I haven't even got past the 1st level, so any cutoff point that the game improves or something?

Bear in mind that I'm totally new to the series, so there may be something that I'm missing.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

pentyne posted:

I'm still in what feels like the tutorial but here's some perspectives on Guijan 3

- It's in all ways shape and appearance a Chinese MMO adapted to a single player RPG game

- The VA seems kind of flat and effortless for the main "noble/dignified" NPCs but then the whiny enemies/kids are really expressive and excited

- The combat is shaping up to be fun, in a very arcade/action wuxia way. The only downside is due to the whole MMO thing every enemy has to be wailed on for 30 sec at least to kill it so far. There's a UI indicator that highlights the direction of incoming attacks and is color coded for blockable vs unblockable. Parrying doesn't seem that hard to get the timing but dodging is easier. Dodging has a stamina meter so you can't just endlessly roll around or you run out and take a hit at a bad time.

- The "Party" that follows you around seems next to useless unless they can cast heal on you.

- The story is making little to no sense and there's a lot of act breaks that just jump to another thing without explanation. I can assume it's not explaining stuff that Guijan franchise fans would be aware of but I haven't dived into the lore section of the start menu to read up on detail

All in all I'm still playing it here and there. With the whole MMO mechanics it makes boss fights a fair bit more interesting with the aoe debuffs you can see, blockable vs unblockable attacks, positioning and skill use. I'm seeing from reviews there's a fairly in depth base building and crafting/cooking mechanics which might be extremely my jam.

Wouldn't recommend yet unless you both like the MMO gameplay dynamic and the mid-budget Wuxia style presentation.

Good review, thanks a lot. I'll probably skip it then.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

pentyne posted:

Guijan 3 is a bit of a decent game at first but after ~10 hours it hit the point where I know I'm going to put 50-100 hours in it.

First off, the card game Lost Tales.

It's based off a chinese card game where you match cards based on themes to accrue points, and you can match in sets of 2,3, or 4. There's 4 suits based on the season and a big variety of character cards. Each player gets a deck they can see, and a river of ~11 cards you have to match from. You can only match a single card from your hand to a suitable one (based on the seasons) in the river.

Anything that you've match and collected from the 'river' go into your deck and the entire deck will mix any possible combinations as you add more and more cards. So there are tier 1 cards that match with 8-10 others, tier 2 that match with 4-6, tier 3 that match 1-3. Obviously grabbing as many tier 1 cards as you see is the easiest, but the tier 3 cards are the ones that can link up for a 3/4 set match which is basically a killshot for the game.

The rare cards you win from people (yes anyone you can play will give up a rare card when beaten) I'm a little less clear on but they have huge point bonuses if you get a specific match-up with them or an ability to penalize your opponent. When a rare card is played (still not 100% sure why) you are apparently able to pick 1 of 2 powers to activate.

I haven't really lost the game that often unless I clearly see I got a bad draw, like no tier 1 cards available at all. Originally the game was just the cards and you'd have to memorize the combos, but the version I'm playing will tell you with cards will match when you mouse over to select them, so it solves like 95% of the beginner difficulty. I've started working out more advanced techniques from trial an error, like realizing that a certain set of swords with 3-match with a massive point boost.

There's quest based people to play and tons of NPCs will just play a round with you anyways if you engage dialogue with them.

The Base Building

I knew this was part of the game but it turns into mini Stardew Valley at one point. You have mining, crafting, research, fishing, farming, and exploring. You fight and recruit pact monsters to serve as your workers who have different sets of skills and level up and gain experience as they work. You find and hire NPCs like carpenters, tailors, blacksmiths etc. who level up as they work to unlock more advanced abilities.

Working causes the pacts and NPCs to lose HP, which you raise by feeding them. The better the meal the more HP they get. Each creature has 4 possible foods they'll eat, the lowest being like farmed foods or things you can easily buy for cheap from a grocer, and the higher are things you craft. One thing I've noticed so far is when the tasks are complete you get a ton of the resource. It's not like 3-4 fish its more like 15-20.

In order to craft anything you have to research it, which leads to a mini-game that I can easily see infuriating some people. During the mini-game your NPCs might pause and ask for help, giving you 3 options to pick from to succeed. An example is

"How do I give make the fish crispy"
- Cook it in hot oil
- Add the sauce
- Coat the fish in flour

The correct option is coat the fish in flour. Similar questions showed up in other food recipes that I was only able to guess because of cooking knowledge I had. Because the game has minimal presence online finding the correct answers is impossible so if you're trying to research something with rare ingredients you might lose them all because of a question you don't know the answer to.

All in all the overall game grew on me more until I got to this part where now I'm all in on finding and hiring ever NPC, hunting every monster, and building the fanciest spirit realm island I can. There's a large flat area up on top of the mountain where you can play Sims 4 and set up buildings, decorations, fancy statues etc. just for looking nice. I'm not sure yet if there's a gameplay benefit but I already started making furniture for it.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, the UI and management aspect of the entire thing is near perfect. You have a start menu you can access that shows all the mission status, and you can switch to the NPC or monster tab and feed them as easily as pressing A and going down the list. There's no dumb requirement like having to walk over to them and pick the food item from your pouch. Once you select the monster/NPC you can immediately select the food they like if you have it and feed them.

Nice, I'll probably give it a try then, thanks for the additional in-depth review on the game. BTW you can google the mini-game answers right? Sure the game itself doesn't have a guide, but that kind of question seems like something that you can research using real-life knowledge. Or is there some timer thing? Also can you just save scum it?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

pentyne posted:

There are distinct acts in the game, the progress of which will end some available mini-quests during the acts, especially SkyElk. Once you leave a major story area, you want to check the main hubs, SkyElk, Qixia Woods, Yanling, Yanping, by actually teleporting there and checking for any side quests. You'll see the "book" logo for anyone who can be approached but you'll have to adjust map height to view all levels.

I'd say whenever a Quest Board is updated that's a good time to check everywhere, including some of the places like Farlight Bay and your Lotus Base. I'd like to say some of the more specific map locations don't spawn side-quests but I can't say for sure.

Speaking of visiting old levels, once you unlock the Pact feature you can return to old areas where the enemies are weak, and if you start killing a lot of the area enemies as Pact monster will spawn for you to hunt. I've seen it occur a few times when exploring old areas for sidequests.

You got a guide you're referring to for knowing all this? I hate to miss stuff.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

StrixNebulosa posted:

Iratus: where'd the last hour go? I think I'm finally clicking with it for longer play and wow, I really enjoy the fun of making parties and figuring out how to make them more effective. Deciding to kill people through blunt force trauma or by making them so stressed they have a heart attack is an aces choice, too, I don't know if I've ever seen this mechanic before?

Do I need to play Darkest Dungeon first to fully appreciate this game? I think I've bounced it off previously due to the RNG, but that's a long time ago.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Iratus talk: Has anyone bought the Supporter Pack of this game yet? How is the additional minion "Infested"? Worth the price?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dual Gear someone tell me that this is good I NEED mecha XCOM to be good. Or whatever it is!!

There is a demo on that page, unless it's region-specific.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Horizon: Zero Dawn talk:

So I've avoided the main thread here in fear of spoilers as always, but I just got to the part where the game opens up after the Proving, and finally got Tinker since that seems like a massive QOL skill. However, when I try to improve my spear, I am not able to find any way to do it? Only the bow/traps? So there's absolutely 0 ways of improving my spear other than the early quest's +1 dmg? Or can I buy new spears later? I'm so confused that I'm not able to improve my main melee weapon in any way, shape or form.

Googling around just shows that you can only improve the spear in the late-game dlc, so that doesn't really help.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Hub Cat posted:

Anybody played Dreamscaper?

Dreamscaper is an ARPG Roguelite blending elements from brawlers, top-down shooters, and dungeon crawlers. Every slumber is a different dungeon in an ever-changing world with a multitude of unique events and challenges. Play as Cassidy, dive into her subconscious and take on the surreal nightmares she wrestles with in order to save her from a dark fate.

Seeing some positive chatter about it and the prologue/demo is interesting. Wondering if there is enough there so far to pickup while its on sale.

Also interested in hearing thoughts on this. I don't really do Early Access stuff, but I did jump in Hades previously and generally had a good time, though I have burnt out after the 1st win due to the relatively low amount of content at that time. So how is Dreamscaper? Steam reviews seem to be generally good especially highlighting the great combat and stuff.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Sab669 posted:

I thought SM was great, especially for the standards of the time. But if they made a second one, I'd love to see something like Doom Eternal but with a 40K veneer.

So anyone here playing HZD with a 970 or like a 1060 or anything? How's it working? Particularly at 1440p? I'm still seeing such varied reports on reddit. Some people zero problems, others virtually unplayable :shrug:

970 here. Having absolutely 0 issues running 1080p at usually 60 fps, with Ultra settings pretty much. My PC does have 32 GB Ram however, unlike above poster.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
I've been binging on Undermine for a few days now. It's pretty much a Binding of Isaac + Rogue Legacy, and it's superb.

This is probably the closest I've felt to a game hitting that Binding of Isaac high so far. Sure I don't really enjoy Rogue Legacy's "grind", so to speak, in which I bounced off that game when everybody is pretty much crazy about it, but the gameplay loop of Undermine is so good that I don't really mind the grind.

It's unfortunate BTW that no games have ever tried to really emulate all the crazy item combos in Isaac. Pretty much all roguelites play it way too safe, and just have fair & "boring" upgrades pretty much. Like almost everybody recommended Enter the Gungeon when asked for similar games, but that game is very skill-based and you cannot just god-run your way to the end.

BTW, I've bounced off Neon Abyss so, so hard, even though it's supposed to be right up my alley.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Artelier posted:

The screen is a mess. I am only six hours in.

You see, that's the thing that made me not pick this game up, even though I would have certainly loved it since I'm a huge fan of the genre. Having the screen being a mess means that I usually cannot evade incoming hits, so I ended up just tanking & bruteforcing through everything. Which gets old fast. Of course it's a bonus for some people, and I do respect that.

Anyway I'm currently eyeing up Last Epoch, which seems like my exact cup of tea. The fact that some people have been saying that it's actually better than Path of Exile, and still in active development, is very interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Took a break from Undermine to "try" Children of Morta after the huge 40% sale, and ended up pulling an all-nighter. Wow game is good, even though the gameplay from video reviews don't really impress me.

Also the 1st impression at the beginning is pretty bad, since your 1st class is very cookie-cutter, and the only reason why the game actually manage to snare me is because I forced myself to at least kill the 1st boss, which is actually pretty hard & took multiple tries. By that time though, I ended up playing until the whole 1st biome is done (3/3 bosses) & only stopped because it's 5 AM and I need to wake up at 6 AM for work.

It's crazy how different each of the unlockable classes felt, and I already have my favorite (monk guy). It does feel grind-ish though at the moment since the gold/exp income feels pretty slow, though I may be upgrading the hub stuff in the wrong sequence or something.