Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

cook serve delicious 3 stuff

oh man, i loved CSD1 but was left cold by CSD2, but from your description they changed things up in exactly the right way to make it fresh again; thanks for the impressions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed already, I'm not trying to open a can of worms or anything. I picked up the Halo Master Chief collection late last year and finally loaded it up to play it, and it is demanding I sign in with a Microsoft Account (and also there was no exit button, I had to task manager my way out). Is there a way to NOT do this, because I don't have one and have no intentions of making one.

better hit that refund button because you need a microsoft account

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i dont think anyone here is claiming that people who said 'PC Master Race' are literal nazis, theyre saying that there are dumb assholes who use the term unironically to mean 'haha scrubs PCs are better than consoles git gud' or w/e which is absolutely a thing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The new Magical Diary game (from the creator of Long Live the Queen and Black Closet) is out now!!

as a kickstarter backer I played through the early content and it's real good

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

lol if you remember video game trailers

i will always remember this trailer just because of its absolutely inspired musical choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

and also for apparently being better than the actual game lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

I think this thread sold me on Black Mesa. Are they close to the official 1.0 now that Xen is in?

1.0 is supposed to drop today - no idea when, though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, I have to put the fruit into the Preserves Jar one by one? lol what, how is this worth the effort

it significantly increases the value of the finished product vs. just selling the raw crop

endgame setups usually involve having full warehouses full of preserves jars and kegs

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the edith finch vignettes vary in quality but it has unparalleled "walk around and open doors in a weird house" action and that's what im really craving in a walking simulator

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Serephina posted:

I've seen good (non-video game) interpretations of it.

One instance a group had a magic cupboard that "fixed" anything broken that you put in it. Crockery etc. They had a little girl dying of cancer or somesuch, and it was suggested to screw the ethics, put her in the cupboard and see what happens. Father responded that yes, they've been doing that - last time was just this morning. Turns out it can rewind the organ failure, but not the cancer doing it, which 'belonged'.

So yea, it's been thought of and has had some good takes on it. It just requires better writing than whatever you'll find in a FinalFantasy game.

you can do interesting things with the concept but i don't think 'why couldn't you just use a phoenix down an aerith' is really a legitimate critique about final fantasy's writing; it's a minor gripe at most and cinemasins level nitpicking at worst

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah the important thing to realize about ffxiv is that it's basically an entire series of JRPGs unto itself even without the MMO side content

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd add more live-commentary but I just entered massive spoilers territory so yeah - when the first day ends, poo poo gets wild.

if you want to continue your live-commentary, the visual novel thread lives for Umineko readthroughs from newbies lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Givin posted:

Which is the better series, Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel? I'm looking to buy in to one of them before the golden week sale leaves and I don't see either of these series on sale very much.

Most of what I've read suggests Sky is a lot more tied to story and is the yardstick of bubbly JRPG gameplay and Cold Steel leans heavier on it's combat and darker themes. I know nothing at all about this whole universe so would be going in completely fresh. I have no problem with long story or sad animes.

i'd say both games are equally story-focused, and cold steel isn't really significantly darker than sky.

Cold Steel has more modern graphics and much better combat than Sky, but otherwise the question of which is 'better' is really subjective I think?

Sky FC feels incomplete without Sky SC (and 3rd is the best game in the trilogy) and Cold Steel 1 feels incomplete without Cold Steel 2, so either way you're setting yourself up for a long-rear end series of games. Sky is significantly shorter than Cold Steel for what it's worth.

I guess the question is - would the graphics of Sky turn you off? Does the school setting of Cold Steel appeal to you more than the fantasy roadtrip of Sky?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

rean gets sad sometimes but i wouldnt call him angsty at all

he also isn't a self-insert? he has a clearly defined personality (helped by a fantastic voice actor) and loads of dialog. he isn't my favorite character or anything, but he's genuinely likable enough that it makes sense that the other characters would, also like him

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i was honestly pretty disappointed by afterparty

comedy is obviously subjective but it was only occasionally funny instead of obnoxious. the more dramatic beats were decent but the game is primarily comedy so they were far and few between

also there was a main character who made a lot of comments like "haha well we all know you're going to pick the next option on your next playthrough so don't worry about it" but it wasn't even, like, a weird meta plot point? there isn't even any new game + content like oxenfree had? joke's on you, game, i don't really plan on ever playing you again

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

explosivo posted:

That Crucible game published by Amazon went live a bit ago. I played a round of their Battle Royale thing and it feels pretty janky but not terrible I guess? I need to spend some more time with it. It really feels like they just took five popular games and made them into one game though, there's so many clear "influences" from similar titles in there.

it has some cool mechanical ideas but it is soulless and while it's functional the gameplay doesn't have any impact to make it feel actually satisfying, the sound design and poo poo is way off

~gamefeel~

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the most wild part of SR3 is how Shaundi completely changes her appearance and personality such that she's basically unrecognizable as the same character

SR4 did some fun bits with that at least so it wasn't a total wash

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zereth posted:

Yeah but, like, they didn't show the corpse, you can learn somewhere that the coffin in the funeral procession is empty. yet the plan wasn't "maybe he can come back later" it's "dude's dead forever :shrug:"

they also nuked the city from the first two games, for, uh, Reasons

yeah there's also a cutscene that literally starts with one of the gangs riding up and wrecking some poo poo and Shaundi yelling "WE'LL MAKE THEM PAY FOR RUINING GAT'S FUNERAL" even though there was absolutely nothing to indicate that's what was going on lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

if that bird isn't posted at least once on every page there is no hope for mankind

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why do so many Japanese games insist on having stupidly long and slow intros before you get to actually play the drat game?

building atmosphere, developing the setting and your ties to the characters before poo poo gets real

im not saying p4's intro is great but there's conceptually nothing wrong with it imo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

world war z is like, fine; but it's very transparently left 4 dead but in third person, with a progression system and less charm. if that's what you're looking for it's a good enough time but i bounced off of it before i even tried every map

also when i played it with my friends there were constant connection problems; and if you get disconnected from your match, there's no way to reconnect, which was very demoralizing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i enjoyed alan wake but definitely not for the plot or the manuscripts lmao. all the actually fun writing was for side characters like the old rocker guys, or stuff like the radio show and the discount twilight zone episodes

but alan wake himself isn’t even interesting enough to be unlikable and 90% of his monologues amount to him restating the thing that just happened in front of you

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

alan wake take: the first DLC episode's structure is much-maligned but i forgot how fun it was to watch ikka villi going on a raving seizure in front of the camera. the hysterical prose he spouts is way above anything in the base game, too

i honestly really liked the first dlc and didnt really have any complaints about it (other than a couple spots being annoyingly difficult)

my perspective might be tinged by how much i hated the last episode of the base game tho

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mordja posted:

Oh man, Black Mesa's reimagining of Xen is gorgeous. Far to few games even try to make weird, alien environments, to say nothing of succeeding at it.

black mesa xen starts to wear out its welcome by the end but the music and visual design are both 100% on-point

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

Other recent newsworthy ones

Alexis Kennedy is the Sunless sea company guy

again for the record alexis kennedy is no longer with the company, didn’t work on Sunless Skies, and receives no money from those games

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I know engaging with Guy Mann is a mistake, but here I go.

Guy, they are not complaining that gay/trans/NB characters exist, they are complaining that they never exist in any kind of overt or important way. If a character is gay, but only stated to be gay in outside materials and them being gay never actually enters in to a story in any way shape or form, that isn't inclusion. That's not respecting LGBTQ people, that's giving them the tiniest of scraps of inclusion so that they shut up, stop complaining and buy your product.

If the new star wars game's main character was a non-binary human, that'd be something. Or if Overwatch had Soldier 76 and Tracer actually acknowledge their sexuality in any way in-game in a way that couldn't be immediately and easily scrubbed for foreign audiences. It's a hollow gesture to say you support LGBTQ people while refusing to actually include them in any kind of significant way.

you’re very right but it’s also incredibly ironic that they followed that up with “I can’t wait to play cyberpunk!!” which literally just had a crunch announcement

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Roluth posted:

About the Croteam sale and announcement, what would a Talos Principle 2 even entail story wise? The first gane told a pretty complete story. It would have to be a prequel by nature.

there's an interview with one of the writers and he basically said that any sequel would be thematic with little to no relation to the plot of the first game, which is definitely the way to do it

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Kind of a shame about Iron Bull casually betraying you and then dying like a chump. I thought we were friends.

Maybe he would’ve been a better friend if you hadn’t left all his friends to die. :colbert:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

I'm sure all the cute robots living, breathing, fleshy people will die horrible deaths at some point, just wondering how it held up from the gameplay perspective.

the flavor is absolutely on-point but the gameplay, while engaging, is extremely trial-and-error intensive

basically every day in the game starts with you poking your new abomination until you figure out how it works and then resetting the day so you can use the knowledge you got without any of the horrific causalities. it absolutely isn't meant to be iron-manned and the loss of any agents is essentially a failure-state, causing you to have to restart the day from the beginning which is especially a pain in the rear end when you were like a minute away from closing out the shift

some anomalies are absolute pains in the asses that you can get way before your facility can safely handle them - and since anomaly selection is semi-random (you pick from a random set of three every day, and all you have to go off of is a short flavor text blurb that doesn't tell you anything about the danger level) it's entirely possible for you to screw yourself over when you don't know what to avoid or prioritize

the game has mechanics to lessen that sting a bit - every five days, a "repository" save gets created, and at any time you can revert back to that save while keeping your knowledge, mission completions, and equipment; but it still feels bad to realize you've gotten yourself stuck in an awful situation and you need to erase the last three days to stop the rest of your game from being an uphill battle

all in all it's rewarding when things go well but spending multiple hours trying to complete a single late-game day kinda burnt me out

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

municipal shrimp posted:

Black flag still has all the terrible hold overs from the old AC games. So when you're not in your pirate ship you're doing a lot of walk stealthily behind this guy for a while

even being in the pirate ship won't save you.

love to stealthily sail my pirate ship behind a different ship for a while

(i still really enjoyed it, it's the first asscreed i've ever beaten, but wow the mission design loves to play against the game's strengths)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ragequit posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Persona 4. I've never played a Persona game before and heard great things about this one. Checking a few reviews, it appears to be a mix of dungeons and slice of life. A few reviewers thought the dungeons were a on the weaker side but the town gameplay was really well done. What's the split there? If it's heavy on the dungeon side I'll probably pass.

it’s like 50/50 I’d say

usually you wanna get every dungeon down in a single in-game day so its usually like spending 4ish hours in a dungeon and then spending the next few hours doing daily life/plot stuff and back and forth

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

dishonored 2 is kind of a retread of the first game's plot and they replaced the outsider's voice actor which was a change i really didnt like, but other than that the game owns. being able to do nonlethal moves other than slowly choking someone out was my favorite bit - dropping down onto people and (gently) slamming their heads into the pavement never got old

i'd definitely recommend playing as emily over corvo; the plot fits her better and she has an all-new set of powers distinct from the first game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah i liked, not loved, oxenfree and afterparty was a step down even from that

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

PSA, until it’s patched cyberpunk is pretty much designed to trigger epileptic seizures

quote:

When "suiting up" for a BD, especially with Judy, V will be given a headset that is meant to onset the instance. The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes. If not modeled off of the IRL design, it's a very spot-on coincidence, and because of that this is one aspect that I would personally advise you to avoid altogether. When you notice the headset come into play, look away completely or close your eyes. This is a pattern of lights designed to trigger an epileptic episode and it very much did that in my own personal playthrough.

Source.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Artelier posted:

I personally enjoy playing Telltale-style adventure games with a partner, or groups of people. Sure, only one person is at the controls, but there's fun shouting to be had. Games like Until Dawn, The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead Season 1 can all have inspired moments of discussion and shouting at each other. "YES YOU SHOULD INTERACT WITH THAT DISEMBODIED HAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM WHAT COULD GO WRONG" :D

i like how the until dawn sequels leaned into this by introducing a "pass the controller" mode where you can assign every player a character so everyone gets a chance to actually do stuff, which leads to the additional fun of people trying to guess which characters are gonna get the fun actions scenes and which ones are gonna get two five-minute-long dialogue sequences that are like three hours apart

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

Kentucky Route 0: A game by theater kids, for theater kids.

It ran around in my head constantly while playing it, and there are a few, few good bits I enjoyed but overall the game I experienced was meandering and confused.

I only stuck with it because for 7 years every time it comes up or was on sale multiple people would rush in to praise it and say even if its unfinished what was there was absolutely worth the money. I literally did not get it, and I can see that so many things are linked or connected in some minor way, but then the way the ending wraps up...what's the loving point? What that supposed to be the meaning? That's the problem with this either it's overthinking to the max or the game just wasn't that good to justify all these connections I'm trying to make.

Maybe I missed ~50% of the content from a single playthrough. I only got 1/2 of the achievements and KR0 did kind of give the "new game+" vibe like Oxenfree but I can't be bothered to even google and check if that's a thing.

there isnt really any single thing to 'get' about kentucky route zero, its a magical realism road trip riffing on a few central themes like debt and community. it's carried on the sheer strength of its moment-to-moment writing that's only real equal in video games is like, disco elysium and pathologic? and through the game's five acts it continually mixes things up in different interesting ways, especially exemplified by the interludes

as far as replaying goes it definitely isnt an oxenfree situation, the dialogue trees can branch significantly but it's in a "you get a different interesting anecdote" way instead of a "things actually change" way. there are mutually exclusive scenes (like everything in act four) and one particular missable chunk of content that unlocks the final interlude, but it's nothing that'd sell you on the game if you weren't already feeling it

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 21, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Is GTA 5 worth picking up if I don't care about the lovely online mode? I've never played a GTA game, but I loving love Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 2/4.

the gta v campaign has some highlights but overall it’s weaker than both sleeping dogs and saints row; basically everyone is a miserable unlikable rear end in a top hat and there’s a mandatory torture segment

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

oh I'm not expecting it to be on the same level, but will it at least scratch a similar itch

probably yeah; and all the heist missions are genuinely really cool and fun

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Morter posted:

If you're using multiple drives to store your steam games, is there a way to tell, at a glance, which steam game is downloaded to which driver?

right click -> properties is the fastest way as of the UI update that removed the ability to sort your library by file size

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

honestly there’s nothing wrong with fort joy on its own i just hate it because ive started so many campaigns with different configurations of friends that inevitably stall out in act 1 that im just over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

srulz posted:

Are there any Steam games on sale currently in which you can be a total badass dual-wielding melee stuff and all? Please no dual-wield guns like Wolfenstein 2 please, I'm already burnt out on that.

It's just that currently playing games like AC Valhalla highly disappoints me since the dual melee even with the special skill is almost cosmetic, since you attack alternatively unless when you are dual wielding the exact same weapons. Same also with Greedfall, in which the combat feels awesome & weighty, but your dual-wielding is literally cosmetic and all.

Any genre is OK.

how about dark souls? 2 and 3 in particular have special movesets ("power stances") for when you're dual wielding appropriate stuff