Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Stationeers for singleplayer? I love the idea of a ludicrously complex engineering thingy, but I'm leery of a) a bug-ridden mess (because DayZ), b) tedious and infuriating mechanics, or c) something that requires friends to have fun with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I always wondered if RE7 started life without the mold guys- all of the places where it shines involve the Redneck Mr. X Family, and I think it'd go a long way towards tightening up the experience if it was just, like, four 2-hour mazes with a single family member patrolling each area while you sneaked around and sacrificed resources when they trapped you in a dead-end or crap.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

lordfrikk posted:

I loved 7 because of how ridiculous it got. But having played 1 a 2 remake and 7, I don't enjoy leaving the starting levels. For me RE games are the best when you run around the starting locations (police station or house).

It's weird how in my head the entirety of RE2 takes place in the police station, even though that's like barely half the game.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are there any underlooked detail/complexity-dense games like Oxygen Not Included or Factorio? I'd love to get my dumbass science guy on, but I think I've played a lot of the games that scratch that particular itch. Stationeers looks kinda tempting, but apparently that's made by the DayZ guy who has basically never finished making a game in his life.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Tamba posted:

If you can wait a bit longer, Satisfactory should be back on Syeam in like 2 months once the Epic exclusivity runs out.

Oh rad! Yeah, that's definitely worth waiting for.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Completely serious question: is Thief Simulator any good? It looks like euro-jank garbage that got churned out of the same factory that makes a million farm/lumberjack/pet store simulation games every year, but the name keeps coming up and apparently it's actually kinda-sorta fun?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are Dead Rising 3 or 4 worth sticking on a wishlist? I absolutely loved 1 and had a lot of fun with 2, but my understanding is that 3 & 4 largely move away from the optimization and time management in favor of more generic ubisoft-esque open world stuff?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Classy Devil posted:

Honestly, no. The entire series keep moving farther and farther away from the time management pressure that makes the first game such a memorable experience, the new protagonists keep getting less interesting (I'm counting 4's Frank West as a new character because he sure feels like a different person), and none of the new settings are nearly as interesting and well-designed as the Willamette mall.

3 is trivially easy (I got the best ending on the first attempt without any guides at all and without ever coming close to running out of time on a case) and driving around the city gets old pretty fast. The new protagonist is sufficiently boring that I don't even remember his name and backstory. The entire game's design ethos leans even more heavily into killing zombies with outlandish combo weapons, which was never really the draw for me and just makes it feel like another wacky zombie survival game. The plot also seems like it's determined to not have any fun with how ridiculous the situation is.

4 is awful. There's a stupid long post I could make on this, but the short form is that it just continues the march into generic zombie survival game. I'm not sure they understood that merely putting Frank West into a zombie-filled mall isn't actually what made the original game unique.

The DR1 remaster is, tragically, still the best DR release since the original. (DR2: OTR is a big ball of stupid, but it's also the fun kind of stupid and so is worth playing too if you want a different take on 2.)

Hmm crud, thanks for the detailed review! It's weird to me how fast they lost the lead- DR1 was awesome, but even as early as 2 it felt like the team was focusing on the zombie action over survival horror.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I prefer 2 over 1 (though 2 was the first one I played), but after OTR I feel like they really lost what made the games fun. The combo weapons in 2 were really creative and a fun way to make scavenging rewarding. 3’s just felt goofy.

I preferred 2's gameplay in the sense that everything felt cleaner and better-executed, but even though it still had the tight time management stuff I somehow didn't get the same feeling of muted brutality I did from 1. Especially from the bosses- most of 2's encounters felt like fairly straightforward boss fights to me, but a lot of the psychos in 1 were way closer to "How the hell am I supposed to approach this" until you got your dude beefed up and/or figured out how to cheese them. (I also wonder if part of it wasn't just that Frank West was really fun- 'scumbag pulp journo' is a great viewpoint for a schlocky apocalypse comedy.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Not sure I'd say that Dead Rising was ever survival horror. That really feels like a bit of a misunderstanding of what the early games were trying to do. They were pretty much always zombie action, with big swarms of basically harmless meatbags for you to blender through at will. The later games did lose touch with what made the series unique, but to me it felt more like they lost a certain... cleverness? They used to have about it. Can't really explain it better.

Hmm yeah, that's true... survival horror is definitely the wrong term, but at least for me the optimization and prioritization tasks were what really made DR1 so memorable-it wasn't just mowing through zombies, it was "Oh poo poo, I have 2 survivors with me, I just got a call about a new one in trouble, and I only have 90 minutes until the next story beat. Should I take these guys to safety first, or take a chance and try to get the other survivors all in one go? Okay, hmm, if I go through stores X, Y, and Z I can get to the new survivors without passing through any open spaces, but that won't give me a chance to pick up any weapons or healing items." It's not quite survival horror, but it felt a lot like a time-sensitive version of the police station in RE2 , except with goofy slapstick layered on top.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The first two also had that thing I love where they rewarded knowledge of the mall by letting you sequence break and do stupidly difficult bullshit to give yourself a leg up. Like how in 1 you could trivialize a lot of early game rescues by dodge-rolling well enough to kill the gun store psycho ASAP, or how in 2 the optimal way to start (or at least how I always started) was by sprinting all the way around the map and killing the tiger psycho within the first chunk of gameplay before any survivors or objectives opened up.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Rebel Inc? Plague Inc was dumb-but-fun, but a lot of videos of gameplay seem to focus on active clicky RTS stuff, and given the subject matter I'm leery of hamfisted political stuff saturating the experience.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I played the phone version and it was fun for a couple hours. Not as addictive as plague inc but not bad.

Hmkay, thanks! That's about what I was worried about... guess I'll wait and see if they re-find Plague's groove when they exit EA. ^^

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone played either of these guys?

Equilinox (https://store.steampowered.com/app/853550/Equilinox/ ): Looks neat, but I can't tell if it's a crunchy base/city builder, or a mechanics-lite "Chill out and watch plants and animals screw each other" thing.
Lonely Mountains: Downhill (https://store.steampowered.com/app/711540/Lonely_Mountains_Downhill/ ): Visual style is freaking rad as hell, looks fun, but I can't tell if it's a Trials-style high skill ceiling jobbie, or a 2-3 hour casual game that's fun once, then never touched again.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Orv posted:

Flawed-but-not-fun.

It has some ideas and bits and pieces of it are good but by and large it is one of those Souls-like made by people who are fans of Souls but do not understand the actual design principles of Souls. They've since done much better in Surge 2 but LotF is entirely skippable.

Cool, thanks- good to know I'm not missing anything! :)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I see that Metro: Exodus is finally out on steam, is it worth getting? I loved the Stalker games and enjoyed the atmosphere of Metro 2033, but struggled with the aggressively on-rails gameplay and felt the actual gameplay part of the game was frustratingly janky. (I haven't played Last Light yet, since I'm holding out hope that if I keep grinding through 2033 it'll eventually click and get fun.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Locator posted:

I enjoyed my playthrough when it released, but I felt it was too short. For reference I almost never finish the storyline in games, and I was ready to keep playing Metro for double the time it lasted. I tried to start over and play with a different style, but gave up pretty quick, just not much replay potential there IMO.

Having said that, since it is 40% off (or was a day or so ago), I would say that it's worth it. I did enjoy it a lot for the brief time it took me to finish.

How-ish long was it? The internet says 15-40 hours, and I'd totally be onboard for a long-rear end Metro game but I'm worried it'll turn out to be more, like, 10-15 1-hour hallways.

Oh yeah, and does it extensively feature that thing where you're straight-up just following an NPC from checkpoint to checkpoint? That's what specifically has been driving me nuts in 2033- the story and setting are fun, but I just want these goobers to be quiet and let me explore a new area at my own pace.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hub Cat posted:

Epic has my playtime at 22 hours so probably 20-25ish hours if you don't blaze through it. There are some follow these assholes for 30 minutes segments but a lot of it is either openish map segments with multiple objectives and hidden gear that sort of thing or linear levels that you can do at your own pace, a good comparison imo would be the modern Tomb Raider games.

Okay that's awesome, I'll definitely either yoink it in the current sale or wait for it to hit 75% off during a seasonal sale- thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm I see that FF12: Zodiac Age is on sale, how big of an improvement is it over the original? Because I wanna replay it but I'm fine with the ps2 clunkiness, so if it's just, like, "We made the textures bigger and saturated everything" I'd just as soon save my money and replay it on my ps2.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Nope, I played the bare-bones rear end, launch day original... I had no idea zodiac age was such a step up, I'm grabbing the heck out of it- thanks for the reviews!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I picked Synthetik: Legion Rising up on a friend's recommendation, I hadn't heard a thing about it but holy poo poo it's a rad little roguelite/twin stick shooter/binding of isaac-like thingie. You're a gun guy, you find and upgrade many guns while running around procedural levels that escalate in difficulty, you guys know the drill. A few big pluses:

The movement and gunplay feel really, really good. Guns feel great to fire, visuals and sound effects are crisp and thunky, your dude feels appropriately heavy in spite of zipping around pretty quickly.

There are eight classes, and the class-specific gameplay is wildly variable: some guys are big and tanky, some zip around and pick up dogtags from dead enemies that apply buff stacks, one is literally just the TF2 spy, and so forth.

RNG is fairly reasonable. You still have the Dead Cells/Isaac problem of occasional OP runs being completely at the whim of the drop tables, but I've never felt that I was severely gimped when I had bad drops.

Lastly, it has a free variant called Synthetik: Arena that lets you screw around with the core gameplay.

So yeah, I dunno- it doesn't do anything new or original, but it's a really, really fun implementation of a tried & true roguelite concept, so I thought it was worth giving it a shout-out.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy poo poo, Morels looks rad as hell. How had I not heard of this before?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm looking at two potential thingies while they're on sale:

Morels: The Hunt looks really rad, but I'm concerned about how engaging it remains over time- is this one of those "Play for a few hours, then never look at again" jobbies?

Iceborne looks tempting, but apparently it still has fairly major performance problems and bugs on PC?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is State of Decay 2 worth a look if I'm hankering for the experience of the original, or should I just reinstall Year One and play that again?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does World of Horror do anything mechanically innovative or neat, or is the appeal mainly about it being a solid execution of old-school turn-based JRPG stuff combined with junji ito/lovecraft vibes?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

goferchan posted:

Hm, I would compare the gameplay almost to a (admittedly kind of excessive) board game than I would an old-school JRPG. Combat is in the game, but most of what you're doing is managing your resources in order to respond as effectively as possible to random events, and (until you've learned everything and it becomes purely about the mechanical aspect) working your way through some pretty cool puzzles. I really like the game and I'm glad I got it, but one of the features that shows the most unique promise to me is events in one case affecting future ones -- like right now, currently in the game there's a thing where during one case you can take an option that burns down the local highschool, and if you accept a later case that takes place in the school it will play out totally differently as, well, you burned it to the ground. There's not too much of that right now but apparently a lot more interactions like that are on the table as the game progresses through early access, and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, so maybe wait a while to check it out if you're not completely sold on just the art and atmosphere? Another thing I really like is that the game was also built from the ground up with moddability in mind and the last patch included steam workshop support. It's meant to be very very easy for players to add in new enemies, new events, or even build new stories and cases from the ground up in a very modular way, basically like shuffling in an "expansion deck" of cards in a physical game. I really look forward to seeing what people do there!

That sounds rad as hell, thanks for the review!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Two clarifications on Elex, since I'm kinda-sorta highly tempted to nab it on sale:

1) How replayable is it? Like, does it have the old school Bethesda zillions of stupid things to do schtick, or is it more a linear game with shittons of half-assed but interesting mechanics?

2) It's worth playing, right? Like, I know it's not good, but I've never been able to quite put my finger on whether Gothic games are "This is fun, too bad it's so lovely," or "This is so close to being fun, too bad it's so lovely".

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Joe Man posted:

Do not play every AC game.
Finish Brotherhood
If you want more, pick either Black Flag, Rogue or Syndicate based on whichever setting you prefer
If you want more, pick either Origins or Odyssey based on whichever setting you prefer

This is like the absolute max and you may be burned out way earlier than this.

It's also worth noting that Origin and Odyssey are a pretty drastic departure in formula- I was thoroughly burned out on old-school AC, but still enjoyed both titles. If you wanna play the new ones I'd also recommend playing Origins first- it's good, but Odyssey is such a massive improvement in every way that it can be frustrating to go back.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Go hang out with the druggies. They are the best and teach you how to use just plain old guns.

No joke, they are the best faction by virtue of you can kill their assholes and turn them into a pretty normal faction, while the other two have SERIOUS ISSUES.

How bad of an idea would it be to pal up with the cleric guys? The idea of flamethrowers and goofy future poo poo in Gothic is super-duper tempting.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does anyone have an opinion on Stone Story RPG? It seems like a neato minimalist concept, but everyone and their uncle has tried to cash in on a minimalist idle game and I can't tell if it's worth a look.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Planet Zoo or EDF 5? I'm debating between the two as my last big steam sale thing... the former looks awesome but I bounced off Planet Coaster pretty hard, mainly on account of how finnicky setting up the rails and roads was. EDF is EDF, but I played 4 recently and I've been told that 5 is basically just 4 with more missions and some QoL stuff?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Planet Zoo definitely adds more to the management side of things, you actually have to care for animals rather than just build them an enclosure and that's it.

BUT, if you didn't like the finickiness of Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo is more of the same. A million different parts to build your dream zoo, but yeah, it can be overwhelming and a pain in the rear end. I'd say it's almost more overwhelming than Coaster, because at least with coaster there were premade rides you could plop down. Zoo doesn't have any premade enclosures at all (other than basic small animal habitats), so EVERYTHING has to be built from scratch.

How finicky are the fences/footpaths/passenger routing? That was my main gripe with planet coaster- I'd see exactly what I wanted to do, but then it'd take like 3-5 minutes of clicking and deleting in order to get the frigging roads to connect to the frigging rides, and even then I'd semi-regularly mis-configure things and not realize they weren't operational.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Placing stuff is pretty much the exact same.

If I was you, I'd go the "Steam demo" route and play it for an hour and then do a refund if you don't like it. The one thing it does better than Coaster is it has very extensive tutorials, so you can get in quick, get introduced to the mechanics, and you can get a good opinion if it's something you can deal with.

Ooh there's a demo? Frigging awesome, thanks! I didn't even notice- now I know what I'm doing with the next few hours. :)

Edit: Ooh you mean Steam "demo", derp, still trying it for an hour- thanks again. :)

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 30, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a bit of a stretch, but does anyone remember an indie/low-budget scifi game that was basically co-op Alien: Isolation? 1-4 players stuck in a space hulk with Alien-style motion sensors and a scary monster thing? I know for a fact that's somewhere in my backlog, but all I can remember is that the name was long and stupid, like "Super-alpha monster death machine" or something.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Disposable Scud posted:

Space Beast Terror Fright.

Yeah, that's the one! I am honestly amazed that anyone remembered this correctly- thanks! (I have no clue how this even got in my library, but I'm always up for a good space hulk ripoff.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Before I pull the trigger and get Planet Zoo, are there any better, older/indie-er tycoon games I should be considering as an alternative? The cute animals part is fine, but the big thing attracting me is the people who say it's a) well-balanced and difficult tycoon game, and b) has life-devouring levels of simulation and interacting moving parts.

Also I feel dumb asking this, but is Railway Empires a good game? I've seen so many train games that I assume they're all awful by default, but I'm also jones-ing for openttd-ish logistics games.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...oh my god, you're telling me they made a Tiger King tycoon game? That's the most amazing loving thing I've ever heard. (Not really, and I'm definitely looking into that and avoiding if true, but wow that's great synchronicity with real life.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

You know, that would be kind of brilliant if it was intentional. Like, I know one criticism I heard was that it presents an unambiguously sunny and positive portrayal of zoos at a time when they're catching flak for having shitloads of depressed, neurotic animals whose species straight-up can't healthily cope with captivity, and it'd be great if they had this happy-fun exterior set upon an intentionally dark and screwed-up foundation that you couldn't escape no matter how good of a park manager you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy crap, I just realized what this game is missing- you know how every so often you see really, really stupid headlines along the lines of "Naked man found mauled to death in tiger cage, autopsy determined that his body contained nothing but alcohol"? A zoo tycoon game that required you to protect park guests from themselves would be hilarious.