Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Look Sir Droids posted:

I more or less agree with your point, but the book and movie analogy is really poor. You can read a book or finish a movie. The book isn’t stopping you from turning the page and the movie isn’t making you press pause or watch the same scene over and over again.

Video games might be the only art or media form that in most instances tries to stop you from experiencing them. You still can if you watch a Let’s Play, but you don’t need that for books and movies.

I think the point was that nobody would refund a movie ticket for a lovely movie, let alone a movie you just didn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, but they're still just expanded remakes, so if someone's going for a series playthrough anyway, they may as well get the plot in order of publication. Just a suggestion, though.

Yakuza is like the one series where this isn't the best option because Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 literally had new material put in them to make them fit better with 0, as weird as that sounds to say.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the episodic nature really worked against it, since if it were a complete product, people can talk about it and discuss the story, but I don't think anyone was speculating on what was coming next and whatnot. I'm not even sure if anyone even cared about LIS1 in that way.

People definitely did the thread fallout over the ending was apocalyptic at the time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

80 years is a pretty nice time I guess but I never realized he was so old. :( RIP.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Funky Valentine posted:

Why would David Hayter be embarrassed about having a fun time voicing his favorite role.

What is with goons and embarrassment.

Goons cannot imagine feeling joy without guilt and project this onto everyone else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

Wait, they where serious? Where the gently caress did somone make Shelob a chick?

edit: Oh my god I just googled that, that's so loving bad and insipid and uninspired and pointless. loving why?

See this is what happens when people milk franchises for way too loving long, you run into problems in the license like "no sexpot female characters" so you end up with Sexy Shelob and the ladysnake in Harry Potter.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Morter posted:

I really liked Guilty Gear XX on the PS2 when I was younger, just for the fun rear end kicking and characters.

There are more recent guilty gears, and I sort of miss that game. So, without taking into account netcode/MP, which is the better recent-guilty-gear game to go to?

Guilty Gear Rev 2 is the latest one and the last updated one with the most characters. It has an outrageously stupid name and an outrageously stupid store page, to the point where this graphic was made.

That said game is good and full of character and background details in the animations. It's genuinely my favorite fighting game out of this generation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Man games that abbreviate to BB are just cursed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

Well, I will say that doesn't exactly speak volumes about someone as a person in tyool 2020, hopefully he's not like... that.

tbf we are posting on something awful in 2020, so, glass houses.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Thankfully Something Awful management has had no history of anything unsavory happening this month lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Det_no posted:

And goons too, considering one of the Brigador devs was posting junk about transsexual people being subhuman or something like that. What's your point? If I start typing slurs here does someone in 4chan gets to scream that Hitler was right? Is that how that works?

idk, but I fully cop to using the domestic abuse and transphobic forum because I really really don't want to use reddit so it would feel hypocritical on my part.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

repiv posted:

The whole internet loves Chorizo, the protest dog with a cute bandana!

https://twitter.com/devoted_pupa/status/1282492046188720128

*5 seconds later* we regret to inform you the dog is a tradcath

Chorizo Dogged

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

chiral image

:hmmyes:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

such a shame the game went downhill after they kept adding dumber and dumber items that totally broke the role of classes in half or in at least one case was just an objective upgrade over the stock. I remember in the dev commentary they talked about how they carefully designed each class to have a distinct silhouette so you could instantly know what capabilities you could expect from an enemy player when you saw them, and in one of their blog posts when they first started adding new weapons, they said they were designing the additions to reinforce class strengths rather than remove class weaknesses, which was very smart design. sure would have been cool if they hadn't completely loving 180'd on those things later

Remember when they said they wouldn't introduce cosmetics that break the Sixties setting/aesthetic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Grapplejack posted:

you are consistently the worst poster on these forums

Stux is right.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

Stux is talking to someone who is not cisgender, as they pointed in the post directly after the one you quoted.

I assumed worse tbh but I'm keeping that up because I'm not a coward :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

I just want to give props to the name "Tony Hawk Pro Crusader" specifically.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I agree that Nazis and trump supporters don't feel the need to hide and drop codes like National Treasure. If you really want to see the alignment of the room just see their reaction to Black Lives Matter :v:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lightningproof posted:

"It's okay to use literally as an intensifier" and "Symbols have a political history and connotations which contextualise and define them" are in fact not contradictory.

idk what the technical terminology for it would be but it is pretty funny for the same people to go "It's okay for me to use this slur because historical context words evolve it's just a meme" and "under no circumstances can people post pepe the frog"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Pepe died so Wojack could live.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
What I get from this is that spending money on video games is immoral, because you're being tricked into exchanging your money for useless garbage.

Honestly that is probably logically sound, so fair.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 27, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Why are people arguing about Monster Hunter when Train Simulator and Dead or Alive 5 exist.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
edit: wait misread

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Every resident evil and silent hill would be improved if you moved at Doomguy speed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sab669 posted:

What is this now? I really haven't followed much game news in a while; is this Ubi or Gearbox or something else

VA-11 Hall-A, it's an old game but they're making fun of that probated dude's avatar.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Anonymous Robot posted:

You’ll never be satisfied trying to choose between western capitalist imperialists or eastern ones, or trying to survive by pitting them against one another. You also won’t prevail by fretting over free speech and media representation- that’s a liberal game, you’re playing ball in the bourgeois court.

The answer is the one nobody likes because it’s scary and difficult: revolution against the bourgeoisie of all nations.

Don't try to get the last word without answering why do you use "y'all" when being dismissive

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Strategic Tea posted:

"Don't bother fighting unless you can have a perfect eternal victory where all the bad dudes are overthrown and justice reigns across the world"

It's very funny when internet hot takes loop back into just Centrism.

Palpek posted:

Now that I'm reading more recent articles about it, holy poo poo. Cyberpunk is getting a completely different reception in China.

Yeah, it's pretty clear what's the motivation behind GOG's decision.

I wasn't even in the C2077 anti-hype camp but what's in the game that's this inspiring :psyduck:

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 16, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

I mean there's a whole market for Empire/Sith/New Order merch, merch for every faction in 40k, probably Dominion merch if you're a fan of the gamma quadrant, idk. Combined with a fashy dude it's certainly something, but it's not that weird in and of itself.

I agree that it's not quite a red flag but, uh, I have bad news about Empire/Imperium of Man/Zeon-type fans

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kanfy posted:

On the Kiwami front, when I brought that little girl to sing karaoke, I didn't expect her pick to be such a hilariously difficult song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smMLeJUfaPg

A serious series about serious crime. HARUKA GA SUKI DA ZEEE~!!

Otometal My Life is proof that Haruka wants Kiryu to suffer.

The other proof is asking him to golf.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

I'm looking at some gameplay videos of Thronebreaker and is my assessment of it being more of a puzzle game correct? When I say that, I mean it doesn't seem like you collect cards and grow stronger like normal Witcher 3 Gwent, it feels like you get specific decks to tackle specific challenges?

In the main story you can customize your deck but yes it's basically a very long collection of gimmick matches.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, they added male Viera and then removed the cat boys?

It's just a joke about how all the catboys are transmogrifying into bunnyboys

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
People don't talk about Early Access Hades because it was also an Epic Store exclusive

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
If you're broadening the argument to Kickstarter games can't people just list the good examples of those too.

Count Uvula posted:

Shenmue 3 is extremely funny because people gave Yu Suzuki money to finish his big passion project and he apparently immediately went "they gave me money to finish my trilogy... if I make the whole game's plot go nowhere and not resolve the story, they'll have to give me even more money to make more games"

I have no idea how you delude yourself in to thinking that your fans will stick with you through that plan, it's the weirdest hubris

Insane to the point of endearingly delusional ambition is kind of part and parcel to Shenmue.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 31, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
When Just Cause 3 is good it's good. Destroying the airbase with the wingsuit like a terrorist Superman is awesome.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

pentyne posted:

Hatoful Boyfriend

:allears: I'm glad people can still have this experience in 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

On its own it took of the simple video game concept of gradually unlocking new areas/finding new information and applied it to, while still certainly a video game house, a much more realistically realized house. It also lays out its different stories in a series of compelling breadcrumbs that you can help but speculate about as you find each new piece.

In terms of internet posting though it came out right around the time the atheist/skeptic crowd lost interest in fighting with creationists and they pivoted hard into fighting with feminists and anything they could be convinced was happening because of feminism. So a video game that revolves mostly around women, was only about exploring a (mostly) regular world location, had no combat or any conflict at all, and also (story spoilers) has lesbians in it made them absolutely lose their minds all at once.

Yeah I think everyone has memory holed the entire time period but Gone Home was basically one of the games at the center of the "The women are taking away our hardcore games and replacing them with casual/mobile poo poo" gamergate posting era.

A video game...without any fights?!

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 27, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I refuse to believe either of you actually played the game. Of all the complaints you could levy at GoW 2016, "it's just a 20 hour long interactive movie" is absolutely not one of them.

I feel like people just make up criticisms for funnier posting because I wouldn't describe that as the problem with modern AAA ubisoft sandboxes either.

Yakuza on the other hand :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly the only AAA mainstream game I could see describing as a playable movie is Uncharted/Last of Us, but you also snap a trillion people's necks in each of those games and people complain about that too.

ErrEff posted:

Would the cutscenes be more acceptable if there were QTEs or you had to occasionally press a button to have Kratos do stuff during them?

See this is Last of Us 2 :v: