Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Rolo posted:

That looks to be it! Anyone recommend it?

It’s not really that much like Battlefield in practice. It feels closer to Hell Let Loose or ARMA or Red Orchestra or something. The basic conquest set up from Bf is there, but the game play is way more “realistic”/slow-paced. It’s fun imo, but in a very different way from shooters like battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/DOGSTRONGG/status/1236939741658001408

Good morning I don't understand how this could bother anyone

"Wtf where did my big beefy man hum go?"

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Veotax posted:

Welp, I'm self-isolating.

I see that there is a Ubisoft sale going on, which of the last two Assassin's Creed games would you guys recommend? I played a few hours of Origins on PS4 a while back, is Odyssey better? I didn't really keep up with it other than the dumb "gently caress you, you can't be gay any more, have a baby!" thing from one of the DLCs.

Mostly just looking for something to play for the week until Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing and Alyx

I loved Odyssey, and definitely choose the female main character imo. The systems are just a bit more developed all round. If you have a preference between Egypt and Greece though that could swing it.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Trickyblackjack posted:

How long is Halflyx? Is it a genuine 10h game or an hour long extended VR demo?

Reviews suggest it’s a genuine length game and very good. But yea the needing vr is definitely an obstacle.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Junkie Disease posted:

My only gripe is last boss blows

My gripe would mainly be that I want to play everything but the bosses on hardest difficulty, and the bosses one rung down from that. Also the boss fights rely on adds more than I’d like. All over it’s definitely a great coop game. I really like the mechanics in general.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I'm very late on this, but A Short Hike was really good. Especially given that (1) the world is a bit depressing and (2) you can't go outside much, it was really ideal. Such a chill exploration of a small open world with pretty satisfying traversal mechanics. You're basically a bird who goes on a short hike, as the title suggests. Would definitely recommend -- it's maybe 1-2 very pleasant hours in total.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

I spent 3 hours 100%-ing it, it's really good! The only thing I wish I had known before is that you can play at native resolution: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1055540/discussions/0/2944710017721269891/

Yeah I did turn the pixel effect down a bit

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Orv posted:

Depends on if it's another systemic refresh or just Viking Origins like Odyssey was Greek Origins.

I would honestly be into this. I was a big fan of Odyssey’s basic gameplay, story, and just world in general. I’m pretty down to do a tour of wherever the Viking version is set.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

*longboarding, so basically the only way to make that description even more chill. Looks super satisfying.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sloppy posted:

If you like Peggle and roguelikes, I'm happy to report that Roundguard is super fun and addictive and the perfect game for loving around with on Zoom meetings or between matches while playing something else.

And on Apple Arcade too!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

I've never played it myself, but Journey to the Savage Planet, maybe?

It’s basically a metroidvania. I thought it was great in coop. Just tons of interesting stuff to explore and a or good length for a nice lil self contained experience.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are there any mods for gen zero? Some of this sounds fixable with relatively minor tweaks the devs might just not be up for. I’d probably give it a try in coop either way since there are just not that many coop games, but it does really seem unfortunate how this ended up going.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Shadow225 posted:

What are some good, chill turn based multi games that can preferably be played with a controller? For The King is cool, Worms IA alright, Civ 5 has some weird graphical issues, Endless Legend UI is too small for my TV, and I dunno what beyond that.

This is from way back, but if you liked for the king you should try pit people.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah, drat that really was the golden age of steam sales and indie bundles! Both things just pale in comparison, these days

I feel like the itch io bundle singlehandedly has made right now maybe the best time for bundles

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ymgve posted:

Kill it with Fire: HEATWAVE is a free demo of a game where you hunt spiders in your house, and collateral damage is expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APYY8HqhBE4

Was fun to play with for an hour, might get the full game when it releases:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1366290/Kill_It_With_Fire_HEATWAVE/

This looks like it has a super similar vibe to Catlateral damage (which is good!)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

space marine todd posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! I asked about point and click games mostly because my wife's internet speeds aren't that great where she is at so FPS games/games with lots of motion wouldn't really work.

Just piling on here at this point :) -- but I think that A Normal Lost Phone, Observer, The Room games, or Return of the Obra Dinn all might be good. They make it really easy to work together on a game even if you aren't both actually connected, and since they are mostly set up as mysteries you can sort of talk through what you want to do/figure out the mysteries.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
My only issue w remnant is that I would have really liked a way to play everything but the bosses on nightmare difficulty, but then do bosses just on hard. I think that would’ve been the ideal balance for me- the adds just got to be too much on nightmare. Such a good game though coop imo.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

OzFactor posted:

Remnant question: I just got through the first boss (it was Gorefist and it took me a while but I got him by just being really patient and only shooting at him when I was sure there were no poison bubble dudes left). After jumping over a railing in the next area I apparently unlocked a new trait which gives me... +1% speed jumping over railings? You want me to spend a trait point on that?

My question is: at some point am I going to have useful traits to spend these points on? I dropped a couple into health and stamina but I'm saving the rest in hopes that there will be something useful. But this +1% rail jumping sure discourages me.

xp >>> hp and stamina are best initially imo. Eventually more involved stuff gets unlocked, but those three help so much. The game isn’t really about leveling up the traits imo- they are not a super thrilling part of the game.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

srulz posted:

Took a break from Undermine to "try" Children of Morta after the huge 40% sale, and ended up pulling an all-nighter. Wow game is good, even though the gameplay from video reviews don't really impress me.

Also the 1st impression at the beginning is pretty bad, since your 1st class is very cookie-cutter, and the only reason why the game actually manage to snare me is because I forced myself to at least kill the 1st boss, which is actually pretty hard & took multiple tries. By that time though, I ended up playing until the whole 1st biome is done (3/3 bosses) & only stopped because it's 5 AM and I need to wake up at 6 AM for work.

It's crazy how different each of the unlockable classes felt, and I already have my favorite (monk guy). It does feel grind-ish though at the moment since the gold/exp income feels pretty slow, though I may be upgrading the hub stuff in the wrong sequence or something.

Huh maybe I’ve got to go back to this one. I bounced off it really early.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Orv posted:

I mean it's hard to imagine what tack that initial post was taking other than delight at it doing bad but I don't think there's any particular thrust otherwise.

The other interpretation would be that it is selling poorly on steam because it sold so well on EGS so everyone owns it already. Ofc there’s no particular reason afaik to think one is more true than the other, but I could see people posting from both angles as a result.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone played Wasteland 3? Especially in co-op?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh yeah, Clash of Heroes. Played it on the 360. it actually was a pretty good game.

There will never be anything like Heroes of Might & Magic 3, and i can accept that.

Playing this based on the thread's mention, and can confirm it's pretty solid so far. Didn't realize it was made by Capy, who recently came out with the really good iOS game Grindstone!

Any other PC match 3 ish games would be appreciated!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you are the first player I’ve seen to actually try all 14 weapons without finding one that made the game enjoyable for you, which is fine, it’s just unusual.

Also not into MHW after trying all the weapons! Personally found it really not enjoyable.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It solves a problem that only exists if you don't have money (can't buy a console or PC to play games), but if you don't have money you can't make use of this solution (which requires high priced internet and some base level of device to play it on)

I have such a loose sense of what the internet situation is like outside the US, but maybe there are places where good internet is cheap enough to make this a decent proposition? It does seem like people who only want to have to own a non-gaming laptop or something it could fill a potential need.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Gort posted:

Another game that gets it wrong is Wasteland 3, where you can make as many characters as you like. Skill points are a limited resource per character, and you can put them in crafting skills, or in combat skills. This means optimal play is to have some dudes back at base with all the crafting skills who you switch in whenever you need crafting done, while your team that actually does poo poo has nothing but combat skills.

At that point, why even have crafting skills - just have a crafting menu that pops up whenever you get back to base that lets you install whatever wherever, no checks required.

(maybe there are some dialogue checks out there that require them, I was never able to play the game the way I wanted (co-op) long enough to find out due to constant dropped connections to a PC in the same room as me)

Weapon and armor mod skills never come up in dialogue, so it is best to have a character at home for those two skills. That said, those are basically the only skills this applies to, and you can basically ignore both of them if you like. Still an odd decision though.

I would definitely go back to it once coop is stable for you, it's great to play through coop. It does do well on the dialogue checks too -- it uses the party member's highest value.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah, I feel like NMS is kinda what I want, but I refuse to give them my money.

Just buy a physical disc secondhand (or a key from a non sketchy reseller) if you don’t want to support the devs.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Anyone into shooters should try out Sector’s Edge. It is a free multiplayer PvP FPS that just released into early access. The hook is that all terrain is destructible, and you can build/dig while fighting (if you’ve played Ace of Spades, imagine building sort of like that, but attached to a much better game). It opens up really fun strategies like flanking someone through a wall in the middle of a fight, and gives a ton of variety to the maps since the geometry can end up so different match by match.

On top of that, it’s just a really well made shooter. Gunplay is great, movement is fluid, and it has a ton of nice quality of life features already. It really just ticks all the boxes for what you’d want a game like this to do, and player population has been solid enough that I haven’t had to wait more than 30s for a match.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1024890/Sectors_Edge/

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty for suggestions!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

nordichammer posted:

What do you think some of the best rogue likes are?

Tldr; what is a rogue like that has fun Meta progression, allows every run to be productive even if it sucks, doesn't make healing and upgrading cost remotely the same, always provides an option to attack, and isn't too punishing?

Dead Cells would be an obvious recommendation following Hades I think. Basic gameplay is just super good though there are some weird design decisions if you’re trying to go super deep into its higher difficulty levels. The meta progression is rewarding, especially early when it lets you unlock new areas (tho once you get into the aforementioned very high difficulty it starts to drag). I’d still definitely recommend it on the strength of its basic gameplay- its a master class on how to make combat and movement feel incredibly rewarding and fluid.

These two are maybe not full recommendations, but at least worth checking out I think:
Undermine is solid but sort of unremarkable imo. Top down, go from arena to arena as you explore a mine. Hits all the marks you’d expect from a roguelite. Meta progression is sort of fun?

Atomicrops is a fun mix of a top down bullet hell where you explore and loot during the day, and then go defend your money making crops during the night. It’s meta progression is super minimal though imo- I don’t think that’s a strong point for it.

(Also an aside but Slay the Spire is not really RNG dependent until you’re at higher ascensions!- I felt this way at first also, but once you get the hang of it the game starts feeling much more controllable. I’d maybe try coming back to it after awhile and giving it another shot. I put it down for like a year and then came back & asked questions in the thread and it really clicked for me after that)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

pentyne posted:

Anyone ever put time into or play Project Snowblind?

The reviews say it was supposed to be a follow up to Deus Ex but was rushed out as its own thing. It starts off with a gunfire and explosions everywhere attack you fight through, then get hit with a massive explosion and wake up as an augmented soldier. Its got a surprising amount of polish and feels like they were definitely going to build up a AAA rpg shooter just from how much detail and casual dialog you encounter in the early game. It very early 2000s PC game design so it's missing a lot of the standard QoL features from later first person games, but otherwise seems pretty competent.

This is basically my full knowledge of it: https://youtu.be/kdCp7sxb6-0

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

buglord posted:

Ever since I joined SA I stopped looking at journalist game reviews. All I do is basically look at these forums and the steam reviews to get an idea of what the game is like. The latter has the added benefit of floating useful reviews to the top so I can see any dealbreakers which might affect me but not others.

That said, lately I’ve been watching reviews from this YouTuber named Mandalore. His reviews are pretty enjoyable. Good insight, great music selection, no annoying voice or Youtuber personality. A few good jokes which caught me off guard. I found myself watching most of his vids for games I didn’t even plan on playing just because it’s easy listening.

Anyone have any other reviewer suggestions?

TBH I've had zero luck finding anyone similar on Youtube, so if someone has reccs I'd be interested too.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
If people are up for posting their shopping carts for the sale I’m curious what people are picking up! I got Hitman 2 so far but undecided on what else to get.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Awesome! posted:

is there a gunfire reborn thread or something for joining up with goons playing it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937414&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=3

Not super active at the moment tho!

It is really good though. Not sure what the rough stuff was in reference to, I think it’s one of the best coop FPS games out there right now. The puzzle vaults are pretty straightforward once you get the hang of them, albeit a bit silly game design wise.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

pentyne posted:

This is what I'm looking at

Shenmue trilogy is just something I've been wanting to play but if the games are just exactly as if they had been made in 2000s I might have to pass.

It's mostly the weird sorta-jank games I've been eyeing for years .

I thought outer worlds was all right! But I also didn’t play the fallout games so maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Kadorhal posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask: what's a good controller with a worthwhile D-pad to use on PC? I got a Steam Controller when they were discontinued last year but the way it works means it doesn't work with most of the games I actually wanted to use it with.

Preferentially I'd like to get something I can just use wired and works out of the box without third-party software. Is the Sn30 Pro+ good, should I just go for an Xbox One controller and hope the vague stories I've heard of its D-pad being worthwhile are true, or are there cheaper yet better options I'm missing?

The Sn30 Pro+ is good! Also gives the bonus of a wireless option and working with a PC, switch, whatever. Haven’t used an Xbox one controller but other Xbox controllers’ d pads are definitely not good so I’d be a bit skeptical?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mescal posted:

I'm looking for a roguelike/dungeon crawler to play online with my boo. Nothing too complicated with too many numbers and stats and stuff. No character creation. No continuing story or human-designed maps. No worrying about whether my ice bonus on my lightning character's laser sceptre does aether frostburn damage on undead dark-types while parrying a reverse buff-burst. 2d or 3d, but 2d is usually a lot tighter gameplay for me. I'm not a serious gamer like my boo is--they play fancy stuff and my favorite PC games are Spelunky and Stardew Valley.

If you use the program Parsec or Steam Remote Play you can play local coop games online very easily. Would open up your options.

Also, I’d ask here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=571

The game recommendation thread is super helpful!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

J posted:

Finished the creeper world 4 campaign, loved it.Going to have to dig into the other non-campaign levels it has now, looks like there are a decent amount of those too.

Yeah it feels like maybe the campaign was largely to reach mechanics you then use in the other levels? Excited for user made maps to start springing up as well.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

goferchan posted:

I'm investing heavily into quickhacks and that tree is so broken and funny, mostly because a lot of it involves manipulating enemy AI which is broken as hell to begin with. There's a dramatic high level hack that makes your target literally point their gun at their head and commit suicide, and it's super cool and brutal and an instant kill, but it bugged out for me in a fight recently and a guy just put a pistol to his head and shot himself and it did like 500 damage out of his 10k healthbar and he just went back to fighting me. It was kind of disturbing!

This is incredibly metal tho

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

pentyne posted:

3/4 of those games were only a couple hours long. Aside from the real deep ones, like Witcher 3, Guijan 3, and Yakuza, everything else was just a few hours here and there since January. I only beat like 2-3 games a month on average, and that includes things like Tacoma & Shardlight I could finish in half an afternoon.

I think it’s a joke about all of the games being a few years old- the list does look a bit like the greatest hits of the past 5 years. I feel like I should go track down and play some of these too now tbh, I’m realizing how many I totally missed when they released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ErrEff posted:

RDR2 is technically a 2019 Steam release but it made the cut for the 2020 awards, just like Cyberpunk is almost guaranteed to be the 2021 GOTY.

I had to check myself - it's true.

https://archive.vn/6FNh8

No randomized placements during the voting period.

This is such a perfect example of how not to design a survey.