Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Seems like the amazon thing is US only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

[Orcs Must Die ] The team might have legitimately wanted to make something more? They had made two basically identical games in short order, not everyone wants to make 'fifa' every year.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Xaris posted:

Tencent purchased a rather large stake in them a couple of years before it came out, and they were hurting for money. I don't think most devs want to set out to build a flavor-of-the-month free2play lootbox MOBA for funsies but instead were likely, lets' just say, heavily incentivized to chase the flavor dragon.

Huh, I thought omd 1 and 2 were fairly successful?

Dang, I forgot they were the Age of Empires Online people. Well, I forgot Age of Empires Online existed.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Orv posted:

Can't wait for Harald Hardrada to be a complete rear end in a top hat/best bud to me.

Just going to go out on a limb here and say that "Harald Hard Ruler" might fall in the former category.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cardiovorax posted:

For some reason I can't quite articulate, something about that makes me like it even less. I mean, at least the Common Era system is fairly unapologetic about being culture-bound and arbitrary. The Holocene calender basically just takes that and adds ten thousand years to it as if that didn't really just make it the same thing, but with an added "pretending it's not" on top.

I mean, if we set it to the exact beginning of the Holocene epoch then fine, but this just feels like sneaking Anno Domini back in through the back door.

Being able to write 020.M13 is pretty dope though

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

DatonKallandor posted:

Doom Eternal is the Shadow Warrior 2 to Doom 2016's Shadow Warrior 1. If you like the gameplay changes enough in you'll be fine, but they come at the expense of everything else being worse, in many cases much worse.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't actually

FC2 was cool :colbert:

3 and 4 were fun enough, but man, FC5 ruined any sort of good will I had for that series.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

I have to admit, my interest in FC5 is now piqued. I mean, beyond already owning it because I was planning on playing it at some point anyway. I'll take "clumsily executing on some thematic idea" Ubisoft over "completely vapid dear god don't think about any of it" Ubisoft.

Go for it, it's interesting to see how such a slick, well-managed content machine as ubisoft managed to gently caress up so badly.

Just don't expect your reaction to be "oh bless them, at least they tried", but more "oh god, no, try way less. In fact, never try anything again".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Ulio posted:

Far Cry 2 is like the opposite fun but at the same time I think that's what the dev wanted. It really feels like being a random mercenary stuck in the middle of a tribal war in malaria stricken Africa. Everything is literally trying to kill you, you can only save at certain points and there is no real fast travel apart then the bus rides. Even in the ending the game basically tells you the conflict here is bigger than you and your actions had no effects at all.

While pretty much every other Far Cry is the opposite, the world is you playground and everything you do has a consequence on the islands(areas).

I definitely like FC2 but it's a weird game and I can see why some people found it overbearing.

Oh yeah, all true. However, the RPG-7 malfunctioning and farting out a RPG right at your feet? That is hilarious

More games need weapon failures.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk_3NuiX2M

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I just grabbed Supreme Commander: Forged Alliances, on sale for 4 bucks. Why not?

Turns out it's great. I know it's ancient, but the graphics hold up. In many ways its the massive battles RTS I always wished Starcraft 2 could be. Dunno how this game passed me by all these years, I guess reviews were kind of lackluster.

I'd recommend it if you want to get back into an RTS but are tired of Blizzard's games.

SupCom 1 is great, and I wish more games copied it's resource management system (Hint: If you're running a surplus, you're not building enough poo poo)

Though sadly, my experience is that the AI in forged alliance is broken, it allegedly replicates itself for every "outpost" it creates, and never deletes those copies, so after a while everything slows down.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tax Oddity posted:

Nobody cares how many people are watching a game on Twitch.

:goonsay:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Ciaphas posted:

I've finished unlocking everything for that mission with that last run now, yeah. And that includes that sniper feat anyway, so I'm not too bothered. Getting in and out with the fireworks trigger without changing clothes taught me a lot about how the ai, stealth, distractions, and even camera works. Should help going forward, but I still got more stuff to look at in this level somehow :psypop:

Also taught me the rules of SA. it took me a while to work out that killing a guard was stopping me - I kept thinking there must have been someone seeing him die and that was the problem, not me being slightly indiscriminate :eng99:

There is an option under settings - hud that lets you show an indicator next to the map that shows whether you still have silent assassin or not.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have 20 minutes in SupCom 1 and 40 minutes in SupCom 2, both from 2015. Which is to say, I should play them. And get Total Annihiliation finally and experience an oldie-but-goodie.

God I did not mean to make this sale the RTS zone but hey. They Are Billions is doing good things for me, as is C&C.

Supcom2 is a different game by a different studio, and I'm not sure anyone should play it.

Supcom1 is fantastic though.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I couldn't get into it. I really liked Doom 2016, but Eternal felt like a whole different beast. It felt like it added too much to the formula, when all I wanted to do was shoot bad guys with a bigass shotgun. Seeing that tiny shotgun clip at the beginning was a huge bummer.

Yuup, 2016 good, Eternal bad.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

BobTheJanitor posted:

I was ready to jump on this game as soon as it released, and then I saw some reviews mentioning that it has an arbitrary 15 minute timer for your work day, and that kind of killed my interest. I glanced through the forums to see if there was any chance they were going to redesign that, and there's a lot of argument, but no sign of a change coming. There's a bunch of defenders alternatively saying that the timer is meaningless and not to worry about it, or that the timer is there to add challenge, and I'm not even sure how those things can both be true. But I see a game about methodically disassembling space ships and it sounds like a great chill game. Something like House Flipper or Viscera Cleanup Detail. But then slap a timer on top of that and it seems like it would ruin the vibe without adding anything fun. :shrug:

The timer is just a 500k credits ticket to play. You can take as many shifts as you want, and you end up earning multiple millions per shift. That's how it's both an added challenge (how efficient can I be? Can I just take the high value stuff in two shifts, and move to the next?) and meaningless to worry about (I made 9 million off this ship. That pays for more than 4 hours of shift time, and I would never even come close)

Also, by levelling up and buying gear with upgrade points (no longer renting) the shift cost goes down, so you're spending even less.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's pretty standard when it comes to licensing music, or at least it definitely was before digital distribution became mainstream and standard. It's the same for licensing planes and guns - it's the big reason why Ace Combat 5 can't be re-released, even though they have a version that runs perfectly on PS4.

Well, no. After "Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association", video games are art, does not need to licence the reality it depicts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/08/how-video-games-license-guns/596296/

Why this does not extend to cars and planes, I don't know. But I guess noone has challenged it in court yet.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jimbot posted:

Are there any games that are similar to Mount and Blade? I hate that Talesworld seemingly is the only one making these kinds of games because I honestly think the designers are gross incompetents who can't seem to refine their ideas. Instead they just take a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, eh, we're bored now let's throw more poo poo at the wall" approach. How do any of these stats, perks and skill interact with the world? Who knows! What determines these percentages in dialogue options? Who knows! Let's just give people ten variations of the same tutorial and call it quits for ever explaining anything else ever.

Playing this early access mess (I'm sure it'll be done in about 5 to 10 more years, only after two separate full-priced expansions) just makes me wonder what the gently caress they were working on for all those years.

I'm convinced they did the equivalent of writing the report the last day. (Its the same game! What did you do for 8 years!)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cardiovorax posted:

Parkitect is supposed to be really excellent, although I haven't had the chance to buy and try it yet. It's a Theme Park/Rollercoaster Tycoon style game. Planet Zoo is purportedly a real disaster where you can't get new animals because the online market is an extortionate racket and even what few rare animals you can buy are almost guaranteed to be stunted, sterile runts so that you can't take the sellers' income from them. I would really read up on that carefully if you intend to buy it, the whole sounds like a horrible trainwreck from start to finish.

This is hilarious.

(Also, situation obviously needs some sort of "fuel rat" carebear organisation of players breeding and selling cheap healthy animals, undercutting the sharks)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

HopperUK posted:

Jesus Christ that line from Battle Brothers about refugees is monstrous.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

5. Every single war ever is orchestrated by citizens of one dismantled country that have scattered across the globe and infiltrated the top political, military and scientific echelons all over the place.

Not gonna lie, that bit was hella uncomfortable.

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I like revelations, but it's absolutely more of the same, and people got real sequel fatigue after ac2 and brotherhood.

But I guess my interest is partially due to viewing AC as a "run around in cool historical architecture" franchise, and Constantinople is wayy better than AC3 and 4.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

So Assassin's Creed Odyssey has this photo mode, and when you take pictures in it, those pictures can show up on the map of other people playing the game online. For whatever reason though, the starter island I'm on has this one guy taking a bunch of pictures of peoples legs/feet and its starting to get annoying.

I loving love that feature! One of the first things that happened in AC origins was that I stumbled over a photo spoiling plot stuff. Thanks Ubisoft!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Mokinokaro posted:

And the only thing that sucks about SupCom is that it is single threaded so it'll chug on any system.

Not only that, SupCom FA AI will spawn a copy of itself to manage every new outpost, and never deletes them, grinding every game to a halt eventually.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

K8.0 posted:

Is there a single game in your Steam library you'd actually want to live through? Probably not, but they're fun to play, right?

I would loving love to fly fighter aircraft. All the time.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

orcane posted:

Maybe in the US but here in Europe I didn't really know any people IRL who had the X360 over a PS3.

Maybe there in Europe, but here in Europe it was 360 all the way. Halo and gears MP.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jamfrost posted:

Oh brother.

How is it still raising so much money? It's a black hole for wallets. :smith:

We don't have any independent verification that their numbers are real. But yes, this is their best funding year of all time so far, in the midst of a global crisis.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

There's a f2p zombie game with similar graphics that has a fuckload of positive reviews for some reason. I can't remember what it was called, but I tried it out and I am just mystified as to why it was so popular. A lot of it seems to stem from the fact that they are made by a single person, who is also a child, and that somehow translates into a massive amount of goodwill from a large group of mysterious people. My guess? There's a genie involved somehow.

Unturned 400k reviews, 90% positive.

I only know because my brother loves it for some reason.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

yegods posted:

re: re-reckoning... I enjoyed the original a lot... two playthroughs, and always wanted to play it again, so this release is perfect. Only $15 too. I'll probably try it on a harder difficulty, and use Chakrams, which were my favorite weapon. Fun times!

"Chackrams were cool" is literally the only thing I remember of Amalur.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=207ohkQMpWY

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

quote:

I’ve spent a lot of time flying in modern spacefaring games like Star Citizen

:gary:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Psycho Landlord posted:

Late to this but in the current build there's a lot more depth to the "scuttle or recover" question. Several ship types are extremely hard to find outside salvaging (and at least one is salvage only) and there are skills that make damaged ships punch way above their weight class without a lot of downsides. I highly recommend making use of the previously mentioned https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 for your questions and such.

Adding to that, if you got a rare salvage, it can be worth it to pay the otherwise overpriced repair costs to remove the permanent debuff.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

more of a game than elite dangerous

:brainworms:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Orv posted:

You're not entirely wrong and there are some control issues reported that the devs have already said they're working on but I really just wanted to highlight a bit of one review.

quote:

Still the Hotas support is a little janky (only recognizes first 40 buttons on a device and first 4 joystick devices)

I'm gonna take a swing and say that maybe some of the negative reviews are uh, a bit dumb, cause gamers.

Insert name here posted:

I'm using a HOTAS and I don't even think there are 40 buttons to bind in Squadrons. Maybe I'll find out I missed a bind somewhere but I've got 2 throttle switches and my joystick hat switch (so the equivalent of 12 buttons) currently unbound.

I think maybe a few of you are reading that statement wrong? I believe he's saying that if your device has 40+ buttons, and you want to use say button #42 for something, you can't.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Mehrunes posted:

I'm drawing a blank...

lol

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sininu posted:

They've been around for at least 8 years, started as MacGameStore. Many of the games they sold were for Steam, which means SteamPlay, so a big chunk of their customers were not actually playing those games on Mac, so they branched out to selling Windows games as well. Not sure how long time ago that happened, maybe 6 years?
They are listed on ITAD, (which is the easiest way of telling if a store is legit, as they only list legitimate resellers) pretty much since the beginning too.

I appreciate their very direct approach to store names.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

CarlCX posted:

I'm one of those annoying "#1 was the best Mass Effect" people so it's unfortunate that they're gonna be changing it so much, but I can also just play Mass Effect 1 when I want to, so I hope this helps make it more accessible to people so they can agree with me that it was the best one.

Propaganda Hour posted:

You're not alone. History will prove us right!

ME1 is the best one, and it's not even close.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Can someone explain the "New to Epic %" column?

NVM: Its new epic accounts divided by entitlements.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 4, 2021

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

The 7th Guest posted:

Vive just announced the Vive Pro 2

$800
5k resolution (4896x2448 per eye)
120hz refresh rate
120 degree FOV
Inside-out tracking
supports DSC (Display Stream Compression)

it still uses the 2.0 base stations, seems like it's still wired

honestly I don't know who this is for, as the Reverb is cheaper and makes more sense as the mid-end VR solution, and Steam Index has surpassed HTC as the go-to high-end VR (with a likely revision in the next year)

Valve index is still unavailable in a bunch of countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

The 7th Guest posted:

sorry, meant to remove that, the Pro and Focus were announced simultaneously and the Focus has inside out tracking

They both have.