Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
For the King, Armello, Slay the Spire, and a host of board game implementations (Battlelore, Agricola All Creatures Big and Small, Spirit Island, etc) are good for board gamey stuff.

Could also look at tactics games like Xcom:Chimera Squad, Wargroove, and Fell Seal for things that also scratch the itch.

Finally you could take the plunge and just straight up play board games with Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia.

Lot of options. Some things I would avoid (like Talisman), but market is deeper now than it was 5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
My buddy has a Steam account, but no matter what settings we've tried flipping for him I cannot see his game or wish list. Has anyone else had similar trouble?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Anyone have suggestions for online coop games that play 5 or 6 players? Killing Floor 2 is so unreliable.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
What do you think some of the best rogue likes are?

I just beat Hades for the tenth time, and I really enjoyed it. I appreciated the meta progression that made every run feel worth, the agency in choosing what you get, the generosity in healing, and not being overly difficult. However, I have pretty much seen everything in the game outside of 5 items, so I want to carry that energy elsewhere.

Here are a few that I have tried and kind of bounced off.

Risk of Rain 2 - while I didn't bounce off this, I have kind of had my fun with it after 50 hours. Runs take quite a long time. You can be burst down completely by attacks you can't even see, which is not a pleasant way to go out.

Wizard of Legend - I love the idea and spell diversity, but I feel that it is too punishing. I feel as though I can lose a fifth of my life in any given encounter. I absolutely hate that you don't heal completely between stages and that you have to actively choose between healing and upgrading. That creates a death spiral.

Enter the Gungeon - This is a bit more fair, but I still don't like how much healing costs. I don't want to make the decision between upgrading and surviving. I also do not like that you have to have a perfect boss run in order to get extra health. Again, creates kind of a death spiral

Slay the Spire - again, you are presented with the choice between healing and upgrading. You can also get some very unfortunate card choices or encounters thst completely ruin a run. That is harder to swallow when a run takes an hour.

Binding of Isaac - honestly the art style is gross. Not a fan of body horror. Rest of the game is alright. Not in love with it, but don't hate it.

Nuclear Throne - I would like to spend a bit more time with this. I think that you should always be able to attack, so running out of ammo and not getting a great gun in return was frustrating in the little I did play.

Rogue Legacy - I enjoyed the Meta progression, but got to a point where I screwed myself with bad upgrades that also made getting good upgrades way too expensive for my skill level. Probably too old to revisit. Waiting for the sequel to price drop.

Tldr; what is a rogue like that has fun Meta progression, allows every run to be productive even if it sucks, doesn't make healing and upgrading cost remotely the same, always provides an option to attack, and isn't too punishing?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for the rogue like discussion all. I went to sleep after posting, but I read them all and have some ideas. I can report back with impressions if there is interest?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I'd like to agree with this: WoL is really great but I feel like it's one of the only games I've spent a lot of time playing and eventually said "this is just too hard." It plays great and it looks great and it feels great and there's a ton of build variety but stuff just does too much damage to you. I keep checking back and seeing if they released an easy mode DLC or something.

Is there a lot of build variety? A lot of the relics I have seen have been damage boost/resistance to different elements, which may be okay to find in a play but I don't want to start off with them given the elemental weakness system in the game. You can carry one relic and one cloak into a run with your 4 spells, and then everything else is found in the play.

I checked out a few beginner guides to see if I was missing anything, and they suggested the same heal on crit build with maybe even the same spells. That isn't to say that build variety doesn't exist, but it does not inspire confidence.

That kind of leads to another issue that I hinted at; I didn't feel like runs were really different. The highest amount of money that I found in a single stage was somewhere around 139 gold. The absolute cheapest item or spell I remember seeing was about 75 gold, and that includes a run where I started with a relic discount item. If the healing potion costs 100, I don't really have the agency to try and cascade my build. Rich get richer and poor get poorer.

Contrast that to Hades. Every run allows you to progress your build. It may not be what I what in mind for that run, but it is still something. This is also helped by giving you the option to heal in between chambers, and then dropping a big guaranteed heal right after every boss. Also, buying health is super cheap compared to pretty much anything else I've seen. Upgrades cost anywhere between 100-150 gold for the vast majority of the run. Restoring health costs somewhere between 20 and 50 depending on what you get and where you get it. I can plan around either getting two upgrades or one upgrade and health if I need it because gold is also fairly plentiful. I would also argue that Hades is less punishing in combat, which gives you more choices as well.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I feel like it does. If you complete a chamber, you get something. Whether that is a Meta currency (key, gem, darkness), an in run currency (admittedly the least useful early game but can still be useful), or an upgrade that affects your play of some sort. You start each run with a guaranteed upgrade. That alone provides diverse runs.

To be fair to WoL, you can also accrue the Meta currency in failed runs as well, but the options to spend them are side grades rather than additive. That is not an issue in a vacuum, but it does kind of kill motivation to keep failing combined with the difficulty of game.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I haven't ventured further into my rogue like list yet, but I do have another question.

Does anyone have opinions on Crying Suns or Darksburg from Humble Monthly? I'm probably going to pause this month unless those two are something special. I already have Kiwami 2, and I have yet to play any Darksiders game

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Sweet thanks for the impressions

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

What game is this I am immediately interested

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I have been slowly playing Avengers, and I have been enjoying it. I have not done anything multi-player yet. Campaign is AAA Brawler but it is cute and has some nice details here and there. If you are interested, I think you could get enjoyment out of it.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Stupid question: if I am using an Xbox Series X controller with Steam, is there a way to turn it off without removing a battery?

I have a guide chord button combo that works on Steam and PS4 controllers, but no Xbox stuff. I tried enabling Xbox controller configurations. In addition to not working, it also screwed with some games by pretending it was a steam controller and using someone else's set ups.

You can probably answer this question as though it were just an Xbox One controller.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Like repiv mentioned above, you need to hold the big lit X button (so not the smaller blue x button) for several seconds. You need to hold the button for much longer than you think it should be, like Microsoft wanted to make sure that no one would ever turn off their controller by accident.

If you remove the wireless receiver/connected wire the light will keep flashing for 2-3 minutes, but the controller will eventually turn itself off. Not sure how it works if you use bluetooth.

Thank you and repiv. I didn't realize how long it was. I was skeptical because when I tried holding it, it just brought up steam big picture mode.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I'm the person who asked about rogue likes a week or two ago. I've tried some more things after reading suggestions and scanning my library.

This ended up being a long post. Tldr: rogue likes that give steady stream of upgrades quickly rather than sidegrades are great.

Synthetik Legion Rising - this is a twin stick shooter with a unique aesthetic and the Gears of War reload system. The shooting felt nice. It had maybe one of the worst controller button schemes I've seen in 15 years, and I couldn't remap for whatever reason. Between that and the UI making it difficult to discern relevant information easily, I decided to call it a nice run after half an hour. It reminds me of the hang up I had with Destiny 2; I could jam what I was playing if the UI made more sense.

Dead Cells - this is a 2D metroidvania rogue like with sweet presentation and sweet combat. It had both Meta progression and run progression, which I appreciated. Most of the run progression takes the form of weapons. It is cool to play around with different tools, but I do wish that more run upgrades gave ability modifications rather than different weapons and flat syst upgrades. Still, it is a joy to play. Looking forward to putting more time into it.

Risk of Rain 2 - this one one of the titles I had played before I posted and forgot about. It is a third person shooter. There are 10ish different characters to play as at this point, and they all feel unique. It has an element of mystery and exploration in that there are secrets that feel like Easter eggs thst can be found, but the game makes no hint toward them. The upgrades in the game all modify abilities rather than change your weapons, and you get them fairly quickly. Serves as a nice hit of dopamine every minute or so. 4 player coop, adjustable difficulty, and run modifiers similar to Halo skulls make it an attractive package. Runs can take forever (I've had runs go for several hours). You get to a point in the run where you can either survive literally anything or you get blown up instantly by an attack you can't even see; it is a game about indulging power fantasy rather than grinding out advantages.

Gunfire Reborn - I had also played this a bit before posting. It was pitched to me as Borderlands but every gun is a legendary. That's not entirely inaccurate. It has 4 player coop, toony aesthetic, a similar skill and grenade system, unique weapons with levels, and the armor/shield elemental weakness system. It's a good core, but it needs quite a bit of polish. There is meta and run progression. The Meta progression depends on each runs indivdual performance, so you could maybe put yourself in a stuck spot. The run progression has different weapons, stat upgrades to those weapons, items that affect your abilities, and overall stat increases. It mostly works with the exception of getting the overall stat increases. They are separated into 3 trees, but you could not see some trees at each selection. There would be situations where you would say want to upgrade your grenade damage somehow, but then upgrade only gave you elemental damage buffs for elements you don't have yet I should revisit and see what improvements they have rolled out.

Rad - isometric hack and Slash with a bombastic theme combining nuclear post apocalypse and 80s saturated color barf. I am far for a stickler for graphics, but this game was so unappealing that it detracted from my ability to play it. Ignoring that, the base combat was pretty mehhhh. The upgrades looked cool as you literally evolved into a Meta human, but the rest of the package was offensive enough to overcome any interest I had in seeing further upgrades.

Bad North - this was not what I expected. It's kind of like a real time turn based tactics tower defense game? You have a fun units that you control to protect buildings on small islands from invaders. The scale felt similar to Into the Breach, which was cute. It was rogue like in that it seemed procedurally generated and the runs were self contained. I only played a few islands, but it seemed fine. Not quite what I was looking for.

Streets of Rogue - described to me as twin stick shooter meets deus ex. Each stage is a mini city with different points of interest and factions that you can affect. It was super unique; it has strong ambition and it looks like it makes good on most of it in spite of its presentation. I appreciate the novelty. Don't know how to play it well or if I want to spend the time to delve into the town interaction, but I am glad it delivers.

Chainsaw Warrior - pretty sure this is a straight implementation of a tabletop game of some sort. You roll a character with stats, draw encounter cards from a deck, and test those stats with a small set of choices. It just felt devoid of choice?

At this point I realized something very important. Rogue like and rogue lite appear to be two different genres. I thought I wanted rogue likes, but it was rogue lite the entire time. I adjusted the filter on my dynamic collection, and the selection of games makes a lot more sense. I played a few other things, but I'm instead going to talk about what I've learned.

The reason a lot of Rogue lites feel flat to me is the slow acquisition of upgrades. I am cool with sidegrades, but I would rather treat them as the appetizer to the entrees of a steady stream of upgrades. Enter the Gungeon seems more likely to give you new weapons than relics. Weapons will probably be upgrades the first time or two you get them in a run, but then do you really want to get a third or fourth weapon? I find myself not caring about the new weapons because I am comfortable with my current load out. I may not always be able to use a new gun, but I will always appreciate the benefit of a relic that is weapon agnostic.

Getting those abilities that serve as upgrades rather than weapon preference in a quick and steady manner affects my opinion of the game. Hades has you getting an upgrade of some sort basically every minute because each room gives a reward. Wizard of Legend is so stingy with its health and money that you may not even get one on your first stage of you are low on health. Before even getting to that point, look at the load out you bring into every run. You get 4 spells, a cloak, and a relic. There are a lot of spell options, but they fall down to preference/side grades. The cloak and relic upgrade you and give direction to your run, but you don't get to experience them nearly as quickly. Without the money cloak, I could get one purchase per level. Do I get a relic, get a 5th spell for another ability and cool down in battles, or do I heal and give myself a shance to even beat the second room? I don't like having to choose a partial health restoration completely instead of an option that would make the runs more unique.

Nuclear Throne kind of runs into a similar issue. The focus of upgrades in the game seem to be more focused on the guns rather than upgrades. You get a new gun or two every level, whereas you may only get an ability upgrade every other level. Guns are cool, but the powers have more away in affecting how you play that run.

The games don't resonate as strongly with me like Streets of Rogue and Bad North don't offer as much in the way of upgrades. They give you random situations that you address, and you will slowly grind out upgrades, but the focus seems to be more on throwing different tactical choices at you. That's cool, just not what I'm looking for at this moment.

Games that I have found to give a steady stream of upgrades and dopamine hits would be Hades, Slay the Spire, and Risk of Rain 2. They stand tall, waiting for others to also smother the player in unique upgrades.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
It probably is. Heroes is a rogue like set in same universe.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Phogs looks a lot like Push Me Pull You

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

The Bramble posted:

I've been playing a lot of Empire of Sin and here's what I think.

I appreciate the review. I will wait for a sale, though I am still interested.

Rinkles posted:

Thoughts on Phoenix Point?

Also curious about this. Half off is a tempting price point on release

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
After upgrading my computer, I have finally been able to play Arkham Origins. I remember hearing mixed things about it. Other than some age related clunkiness, I am in awe of how good the series was. This is apparently the worst entry, and it is still a very good video game.

What were some of the issues that threw people off?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I remember pointing out the COD stuff being 200 GB was unacceptable and some asshat was like 'games get bigger so what.'

It's real funny to compare game sizes with sequels. Most of what I have seen is the PS3 gen and then the PS4, which is not exactly fair but still shows a bad trend. Here is a fun comparison on the same generation, though.

Shadow of Mordor - 42.67 gb
Shadow of War - 107.33 gb

42 is already large, and then they more than doubled it on the same gen.

It seems like its a publisher based thing. Most Capcom and Square games have stayed reasonable, while WB, EA, and Activision require their own storage

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I beat Ori and the Blind Forest tonight

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was very pretty, and it had some fun platforming puzzles. The art style however worked against itself as it made the game state difficult to read quite often. I can't tell you how many times I died because of things that I could not see.

Story was very much an old school video game story with a collection macguffin plot. It did shore it up with saccharine scenes here and there. I appreciated it, but I wouldn't call it anything special.

I'm giving it somewhere between a 6.5 and a 7.5. Leaning closer to 7, we'll see how I feel about it.

91%, 8:54, 312 deaths.

That was the 23rd game/dlc I beat this year, and the first of 8 I told myself I was going to try and beat this December.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I beat Batman Arkham Origins just now.

Overall, my experience was positive. Hard to verbalize entirely. Very much a AAA set piece game. It falls into the trap of wanting you to do something very specific but sometimes being opaque about it. Alleviated by detective vision, but still annoying when it flips from opaque to telling you exactly what to do.

I also wished that combat was a bit more varied, but maybe I'm just not skilled. It was hard to use gadgets that didn't have quick fire in combat, so that leaves batarang, explosive gel, glue grenade, concussion detonator, and bat claw. Try as I may, I could not get the gel or concussion to be consistently useful. Glue grenades were great for temporary incapacitating enemies, batarangs could extend combos and do some damage, and the claw could pull you to gun people. It felt like most of the gadgets were designed to stun part of the crowd while you just mashed attack. Which I get, just wish some of the other things were better rewarded. Also the takedown should permanently be a 5 count instead of 12.

Similarly, I would be curious to see how other people approached the stealth/predator encounters. I played them super slowly, depending on inverted takedowns or pseudo grate takedowns. I like the idea of the disruptor taking out guns and PA systems, but it felt like they fixed the issue quicker than it was worth using. I was afraid to use the proximity gel or glue grenades because I wasn't sure if they were going to knock out an enemy, or stun them and go loud with little reward. Again, I may just be bad but I would have liked to have seen a bit more variety in feasible options here.

It and Ori helped me realize that a lot of my issues with exploration centric games. I hate wasting time on fruitless endeavors. I will often bang my head against a wall trying to do something I literally can't do yet. That's just part of the style, though. I find that I do enjoy the exploration and puzzles once I have the tools.

It really is amazing how Rocksteady created such a strong adaptation as a no name studio. Say what we will about series fatigue, but they nailed a lot of good where other studios failed. Looking forward to Knight after a year or so break, and then I'll have to play other stealth or hero games instead. Spider-Man and Hitman come to mind as decent ideas. Well, after the DLC real quick.

And that's game 24 down for the year.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
On a roll. Finally got around to beating the first Shovel Knight campaign.

It is as good as advertised. It is a faithful homage to single screen combat puzzle platformers tied together with modern QoL and lots of love. It is wild to me that they released 3 more campaigns and a local multi-player death match for free (at least for a long time).

Video games are cool. Glad I had some things fall into place this year where I could play them again and enjoy them. Also cool that I get to escape a lot of the cult of the new and just jam highlights. Shout out to past me for spending way too much money on things I couldn't even play yet on Steam.

Next on my list to finish in December:
Moonlighter
Avengers
Aviary Attorney
Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered
Death Stranding (probably can't get this one tbh)

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
On quite the streak, I beat Moonlighter today.

This game is gorgeous. The music, sprite work, and small touch animations are among some of the best I have ever experienced. They serve as a warm, revenant coat of paint.

Unfortunately, that coat of paint is applied to a fairly mediocre vehicle. The game is half action dungeon crawl, half merchant simulator. The basic gameplay loop is explore a dungeon, sell loot via active sequence in your store, upgrade weapon and armor, repeat until you knock out the 4 dungeons. While that may sound reductive, I think that it is reflective of the gameplay depth.

For the dungeon parts, you carry two weapons, three pieces of armor, two rings, and some potions on you. There are 6ish different weapon types, and all weapons in each class are functionally identical. The weapons types do vary in attack style, but ultimately I felt that it didn't matter. There was little reason to care about the advantages or disadvantages for each weapon type. All of the stats for each tier of weapon were close enough together and the upgrades were drastic enough that you only cared about upgrading a weapon instead of maximizing output with a specific type. The most I thought about different weapons was needing a short and a long range weapon. Beyond that, I just upgraded the two types that I had resources for. The armor and rings are less divergent. There are drawbacks to consider if you don't just want vanilla defense, but they are minimal enough not to care.

The combat also doesn't help because it's not deep enough to care either. You get a dodge roll, a standard attack, and a special attack that varies a bit more per weapon. Most special moves cannot be chained into, so combat is just spamming standard attack and rolling occasionally. With the exception of some bosses (even vanilla versions don't necessarily apply), enemies are fairly predictable. On one hand, I am thankful for not being challenged with a limited tool set. On the other, things became rote fairly quickly. Thankfully you heal right before a boss on each floor, so you are given the liberty to turn your brain off for the most part.

You explore the dungeons to beat the big boss after the third floor of each of the 4 dungeon in order to get a MacGuffin. To get to that point, you sell the items you find in your dungeon in your store. You set items on your sale tables, manually set the price, and open the store for customers to come purchase in real time. Each item has it's static going prices that customers will pay. You try to find the sweet spot that customers will buy, and roll with that. There is a changing market, kind of. If you sell an item below its sweet spot price, you raise demand for it, and vice versa. You can manipulate demand, but again the reward for doing so is so minimal it's not worth engaging in the system at all.

This further diminishes the dungeon delving because all of the items, with very select exceptions, that you get in the procedurally generating floors boil down to money. Your upgrades come slowly and are unexciting. If it was so unexciting, why did I stick with it for 20 hours? Well, its presentation is extremely charming. I wanted to enjoy it more, and I played in hopes that I could convince myself to do so (also I have the brain worms that don't let me leave things uncompleted without guilt). Was the journey worth the disappointment of the destination? Probably not, but I say that having beaten it anyway.

I also had the DLC, so I gave it a look. It basically adds another dungeon that is nearly as long as three of the other dungeons combined. There are also new weapons, armor, and shop upgrades. However, it was more of the same. Well, more of the same with worse grinding. The dungeon's gimmick is having health buffed versions of previous enemies that drop loot from their dungeons. The loot scales per dungeon, so you are effectively getting items from 5 different tiers of pricing. The weapon upgrades, the upgrades most integral to your success, are strictly tier 5 pricing, and all pricing jumps up quite a bit tier to tier. In other words, you have to grind for the most expensive items in the game with only like 40% of the items you get being able to get you there instead of 100%. I didn't have the heart to spend more hours doing the same, so I'm calling it here.

Overall, I think I give it a 5.5. Presentation is wonderful; you can only put so much lipstick on a pig. I am curious how I would take to something like Recettear given that they are in the same genre. I wonder if this is just a bad fit for me as a game or as a genre.

edit:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Also, the followup/spinoff to Dungeon of the Endless being called Endless Dungeon is both asinine and confusing as hell to someone not in the loop.

I was under the impression that Endless Dungeon was an offshoot of the 4X series with Endless Legend and Endless Space and such instead of Dungeon of the Endless. Was I off base there? Or are they all the same universe?

nordichammer fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 12, 2020

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
hearing lore talk is cool. I never got into them, but the praise has been high

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I played 4.1 and half of 5 before burning out. I tried to play Air Raider, but found the mobility of Wing Diver too useful. Got tired of feeling ginger, so I fizzled.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I learned that Steam has an app where I can stream to my phone with touch screen controls. Played a bit of Slay the Spire to test it out. I wish that I could remap left click to double tapping, but otherwise worked well for me. I will note that I have a decent pc, phone, and internet connection while playing 7 feet from my router. But still, having my steam library mobile is really cool

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

shoc77 posted:

Is Tetris Effect worth getting at USD9 after applying the 10 dollar epic coupon?

I'm not sure if it is ever coming to steam. How does it compare playing on a regular ol' monitor compared to VR as I don't have a VR set and won't be getting one for the foreseeable future.

I don't even like Tetris like that and I ended up beating the campaign. It gets a bit overhyped here, but it is an enjoyable experience. I would say 9 is a good price if you are remotely interested

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Mescal posted:

Quoting this in case those two are still unclaimed (for anybody, I'm not getting them)

Thank you for Knight Squad. It was a game I kind of wanted but not actually pay for. I didn't try first time around because I assume it would have been claimed. Very happy it was still there.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Beat the Avengers main campaign last night. I enjoyed it. Its a shame that they were banking on the games as a service portion so much because the core is actually fun.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Into the Breach is unfairly good.

It is the first tactics game that I have played that places support maneuvers (shields, repositioning) on the same plane of utility as attacking.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I played 20 minutes of many games last night.

Gremlins Inc - Digital board game. Kind of a roll to move, but with card/hand management. Basically you always have 6 cards in hand,, and you use them either for movement or to play at specific locations on the board for points. I brute forced learning through a game instead of a tutorial and got there. It was a bit longer than I would like due the the nature of the cards and there being like 11 places on the board to use cards. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. Its not a bad riff on a Monopoly like.

Okhlos - I've never played Pikmin, but this seems like a 2D roguelite using pixel graphics in Ancient Greece mythology. I don't know what I was expecting, but its a novel enough concept that I am glad to have tried it. Check it out for cheap.

Blood Bowl 2 - I enjoy board games. Never played Blood Bowl, but I've heard of it. Basically fantasy football with tongue in check humor. Brute forced learning with a quick wiki check after a game. The UI could be better at displaying useful information, but seems like a decent enough adaptation. Much more simple than I assumed, so worth a check if you want some board game sports in your life.

Wildermyth - Roguelike SRPG plus light map manipulation with a CYOA ish story. Haven't finished a whole campaign yet after many hours, so I'm not sure how divergent each campaign is. The combat feels a lot better than its simplicity would lead you to believe. There are some fun things you can do, especially with the magic system. Basically your mages have to connect with objects on the map to cast spells from those objects. Think Geomancer from Final Fantasy Tactics. The CYOA and map movement is cute and charming, which is notable because I typically don't care at all for it.

GTFO - coop horror goal based fps. You kind of need to find a full crew of four to play. The game is punishing, but I kind of like it because it allows the devs to explore different mechanical space. For example, instead of taking a turret, I took a life detector and called out enemies ahead in rooms. I was useful doing that. I appreciate games where there are more paths to playing than just pure DPS. The game is in early access and has some rough UI, control, and graphics things. The core is a fresh take on the coop wave shooter, which I appreciated.

Shadow Warrior 2 - first brush with the series. I understand that this is not representative of anything else in the series. It is a four player looters shooter that almost feels like a satire. Enemies feel spongy, you get loot thrown at you at a ridiculous pace, and the dialog would be bad even for Borderlands. Despite all of this, I somehow enjoyed it? Maybe it was just being thankful to play something with structure with friends, but I didn't hate it.

Armello - This is basically Mage Knight the board game with animals and some more take that and luck. I wish the games were like a quarter shorter. There is a bit too much luck involved to want to play long sessions, but there is enough game and charm there to appreciate a competitive tactical adventure game. There are loot boxes for different dice that is nice but ignorable.

Super Dungeon Tactics - reminds me a lot of Arcadia Quest the board game. A srpg where each character has a small number of skills. That allows the units to feel unique. Presentation may not be the best but it was like 2.50. Definitely worth it for that.

Children of Morta - after 100 hours of Hades, I wanted another roguelite that offered both meta progression and quick in run progression. Morta was the closest to it. The presentation being kind of emotional was a nice bonus. It's a 2d twin stick action game that has unique classes. It is a pleasant experience. It and Dead Cells to a lesser degree are the only two that fill the Hades void in my soul

Streets of Kamuracho - got this for free during Sega week. It is Yakuza themed arcade 2d beat em up. Its cute, but only like 15 minutes long. Its free and the sprites are great tho

Plus some other things to put on peoples radars

Call of Juarez Gunslinger - short fps set in comedic spaghetti western with a fun story. Worth the ride

Gunpoint - this is my go to for under the radar great game. It is a 2d stealth game with some fun action. The writing is great, and even has a few different uh, paths. Music is super nice jazz, one of the few instrumental game soundtracks I want to own.

Lisa - earthbound but sad and hates the player. I wouldn't call this a good 'game' but it is a good experience. The humor hits super nice in a few spots, and the player antagonism does make it feel fresh because it is at least thematic. In addition to being legit funny in spots, it also hit a bit harder emotionally than I would have expected.

Xcom Chimera Squad - if not for Hades, probably my goty. Its streamlined xcom buy with distinct classes instead of build your own. Didn't run super great admittedly. That said, it was a fantastic 20 hour ride that focused on action packed short form stages instead of large sparse maps. Distinct characters also felt super and better than the sandbox approach.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Glass of Milk posted:

Has anyone tried the Gloomhaven alpha/beta/whatever the gently caress it is? The reddit thread seems to indicate it's a bit janky and lacking the campaign, but if I could get with friends to play online it might be worth it.

Someone just posted about it in the board game thread.

jmzero posted:

Spent some time with the PC version of Gloomhaven (having played a few hundred hours of real life Gloomhaven).

Most of the game feels correct, but you really feel the pain from a lack of a quick Undo feature. You can undo a whole round (even when that's effectively cheating, because you've seen new information) but it takes forever and means you have to re-do everything for the round. It's very easy to misclick something (...or forget to activate an element during a skill resolution, which probably should default to "on" instead of "off"), especially when you're getting used to the interface - and it's a tightly balanced enough game that missing a few clicks is often fatal.

From a programming perspective, this ("instant undo") is the kind of feature that's easy to do if you make it a priority early: all you have to do is make sure your game state is kept in a unified model object that you can serialize/deserialize quickly. This has a ton of other knock-on benefits when it comes to maintenance, regression testing, and when you go to write AI, and all it takes is a little discipline. However, if you let your game state trickle out into 1000 view/controller objects, which I suspect they've done here, it can be very hard to get that back.

Other problems are just that the game-as-written isn't perfectly suited to the medium. Playing by yourself, playing two low-level characters... it feels very grindy, and progression feels way too slow. I would have been very tempted to just jack up numbers for gold and experience gain so that players can try out more characters and see things progress faster. It also feels bizarre that the missions it gives don't form a little campaign of some kind (even if it was just a short "starter" campaign, which led into endless procedurally-generated fights or something).

The visual style of the game is fine I guess, but I wish they had leaned a little more towards "clarity of information", especially in the environments. It's easy to get hamstrung by surprises about which tiles count as obstacles - or even to miss an enemy hiding behind something. The most common/important UI's in the game all need work. Like, all you see when picking an action are card names. Having some icons to show common stuff (eg. Move 3) from the "pick a card view" would help a lot. Other places are just broken - like, the game has lots of tool-tip windows, and they weren't all coded the same. Some don't follow window bounds, so they're half off the screen. Again, this points towards mistakes made early in the design process - the kind of mistakes you make as a developer when you're not used to making this kind of information-dense game. It feels weird/broken that you can't scroll the battlefield by dragging it with the mouse.

For all my complaining, it's not terrible. Gloomhaven is a really solid base game. But I'm not sure this implementation will ever be as good as it could have been (without keeping the assets and gutting the code, anyway).

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Including Monster Hunter. The story additions in World were fairly annoying.

I don't really care about your writing if the act of playing does not capture me.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Pierson posted:

How's the Avengers game if I don't give a poo poo about a game-as-a-service or getting a thousand hours out of it (lol that they ever thought that was possible). Is there at least a cute singleplayer story in there?

I put about 15 hours into the campaign plus the free Hawkeye update. Never touched multi-player. The characters feel great, the story feels like it could be a MCU movie, the enemies are boring, and the games as a service is the worst part of it.

I think there is 30 worth of game in just the solo content. I'm honestly sad that they went games as a service, because the core is actually good outside of taking damage not being as impactful as it should be.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

noone:

me: *slides in* did someone say lists???

here's some of my favorite games I played this year, it's separate from the list I posted in the 2020 GOTY thread because this is for games released in any year, and I'll focus on PC. most of these should be on sale, if not all of them

Favorite Metroidvania

#1: Blasphemous ($12.49) - Some have said this doesn't technically qualify as a Metroidvania because it's too linear, but I think it's close enough. This game is fantastic, and I played through it BEFORE they fixed a lot of the issues people had. The combat borrows from Souls but without being brutal, the upgrades are good (not a huge fan of the skill tree though), the world is fun to explore because of just how hosed it all is.
#2: Journey to the Savage Planet - I've already talked about this in the 2020 GOTY thread, it's quite good but unfortunately not on Steam yet because of Epic exclusivity (and now the studio is owned by Google Stadia so.. I'm not sure when/if it will ever hit other storefronts?)
#3: After Death ($6.99) - This one has stayed with me long after, and it's maybe a bit hard to recommend, as the walking speed is slow (think Castlevania 1 speed) and the visuals maybe a little off-putting, but I liked the deliberate design, and the Genesis-style music is rad, and it's just an interesting world to explore, much like Blasphemous.
#4: The Mummy Demastered ($20, not on sale) - A run and gun metroidvania from the licensed game kings WayForward. Actually, their licensed games aren't really as good as people say, generally, just better than the average. But I actually think Mummy Demastered is really good and probably their best licensed game they've ever done. I like it more than most of the Shantae games?? And this was made for a loving Tom Cruise flop.
#5: Supraland ($7.99) - A first-person Metroidvania that is all about exploration, looking for secrets, and does just a little bit of everything.
#6: Cathedral ($10.49) - Imagine Shovel Knight as a Metroidvania, with music that is of a similar (but not quite as good) quality. Should be a slam dunk right? Well, I'd say it's somewhere between Shovel Knight and Castle in the Darkness in terms of its design, and so it's not a perfect game. It's also maybe a little too long for its own good and has a little too much busywork in order to get into the dungeons.
#7: Aggelos ($5.09) - Monster Boy-like with a Sega Master System aesthetic. An example of a game that is perfectly fine, but doesn't rise to the top in a crowded genre.

Favorite Non-Metroidvania Platformer

Spark the Electric Jester ($3.99) - It's hard to quite fit this peg into a hole. Of course it draws comparisons to Sonic and that's intentional as it started as a Sonic fangame. The mechanics play quite differently though, with all the different costumed abilities Spark can swap between. And not all of them are about speed. But it is relatively fast, and sometimes has level visuals and music on par with Sonic Mania.

Favorite Walking Simulator

#1: Tales from Off-Peak City ($4.99) - Talked about it in the GOTY thead, but this is more patented Cosmo D weirdness and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys walking around a weird world with weird NPCs.
#2: Broken Reality ($7.49) - Oddly not the only vaporware exploration game I've played this year, this one takes place in a 90s-rear end VR environment where Likes are essentially a currency and everything MIGHT be just a little bit dying.
#3: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ($20, not on sale) - I've not really been a fan of The Chinese Room's games, I feel like they nearly ruined the Amnesia series with A Machine For Pigs. But Rapture redeems them. Great story, lovely visuals, and the only real problem with it is the slow-rear end walking speed. Maybe CheatEngine can help with that??
#4: Heaven's Vault ($14.99) - A space archeology game where you travel to ruins and learn about an ancient civilization by deducing how words should be translated. Sometimes you get some hints from reading books but mostly you're on your own, determining what words should be based on the context of the area around them, the room they're in, or how they are connected to previous words that have surrounded them in sentences. It's cool, and the only issue I have is it doesn't support cloud saves so I have to start all over on my new PC :(
#5: Observation ($9.99) - You're an AI on a spaceship that witnesses complete science fiction disaster. Presented almost like a Paranormal Activity game, everything is controlled via cameras and little orb the AI can pilot. Primarily your job is just to open doors for the main character to get through, or to find a code in one area and punch it in somewhere else. It's still pretty intriguing, and there's an interesting sci-fi mystery going on to unravel. It's not perfect but I thought it was pretty interesting.

Favorite Non-Walking Story Game

#1: Hypnospace Outlaw ($13.99) - It's wild to have a game that is so nostalgic for an older time of the internet, WITHOUT succumbing to a bunch of lazy pop culture references. It's all self-contained and only referential to itself. You really get to learn a lot of personal stories about the people making the websites. You learn the history of Coolpunk and whether it is dead, alive, or just 10 different spinoffs now. The actual story for the game is alright, but for me the the best storytelling came from the websites themselves.
#2: Elsinore ($7.99) - A time loop game where you play a character from Hamlet, and have to figure out how not to die. You also are essentially trapped in the cycle with little recourse for getting out unless you capitulate to the whims of a real jerk! Everyone has real-time cycles, and you can learn things by following them, and making certain decisions can save your life and irreversibly alter the story. The game has several endings, none of which are perfect, but you don't have to have a miserable finish to your life! Other characters might, though, and you'll just have to live with that on your gamer conscience.
#3: Later Alligator ($13.49) - A series of minigames presented similarly to Professor Layton with some of the cutest animation you'll ever see in a video game.

Favorite FPS

#1: DUSK ($10.99) - My favorite of the neo-retro shooters of all time. I love the speed, I love the weapons, I love the encounter design, and I loving super love the map design as a tribute to Quake... but also, just unique? The lab level where the gravity keeps changing, or the level where you're sort of bouncing through distorted versions of past levels. The sky city... there's just many memorable moments for me.
#2: Project Warlock ($4.08) - My favorite Doom-like out of the many retro revival games. Granted, the weapons are more akin to Heretic, but the level design reminds me a lot of Doom, much moreso than the actual new Doom games from iD. It was fun to play through levels conventionally and then find secret walls on a second run through where you could actually bypass some of the keycard requirements. I sought out secrets in this one which I have not done for a lot of retro-revival shooters.
#3: Amid Evil ($10.99) - Here we have a sort of combination of Quake and Hexen, and while the weapons are much more fun than I was expecting (shooting stakes into people and pinning them to walls is ridiculously fun), the level design was a bit lacking for me and not well signposted. Still plays very well. You can get DUSK and Amid Evil in a bundle together on Steam.
#4: Strange Brigade ($4.99) - Somehow Rebellion has made an actually fun version of Zombie Army Trilogy, and it can actually be played through solo without being tedious. It's also vibrant and lively, and the pulpy narrative helps to keep the player peppy.

Favorite Puzzle Game

#1: Carto ($15.99) - Talked about it in the GOTY thread already, but it's just a very charming puzzle game where you re-arrange the world map to solve puzzles.
#2: Baba is You ($11.24) - Everyone's already talked a ton about this game last year, I'll just say that the game is great at making you feel like a genious right until you realize you hosed up the last step.
#3: Tametsi ($0.99) - Basically Hexcells cranked up to 11. Gets VERY hard.
#4: Golf Peaks ($1.99) - A slick card-based minigolf puzzle game, where you have to select the instructions in the correct order to send the ball to the hole.

Favorite Action Game

#1: Control ($19.99) - I guess Control is a lot more of a love-it-or-hate-it game than I was expecting, but put me in the 'love it' camp. Besides the great story and optional lore to discover, I just love the movement and how engaging the combat is. The optional bosses are pretty rad too (actually much more interesting than the main story bosses). Then again, I also thought Quantum Break was alright, so maybe I'm just a big idiot!
#2: Nier Automata ($19.99) - Hey, an open world game that is okay! It helps that the world is not as humongous as the average open world game, and you move around it fast. Also you get the patented Platinum uptempo combat, and Yoko Taro's bleak but humourous storytelling. That said, I did not feel like I gained a whole lot from playing the second playthrough and would rather they have just worked those additional cutscenes into the first playthrough and saved me time.
#3: CometStriker ($4.99) - Take Hero Core and make it a linear score attack game and you have CometStriker, a room-by-room dungeon shmup that hit all the right notes for me. It's no Monolith but it gets the job done for someone who just wants to play something for a little bit and then move on.

Favorite Mystery

#1: Murder by Numbers ($10.04) - This could also go in the puzzle category, as it is Ace Attorney meets Picross. I did a writeup of this in the GOTY thread, so I'll just say here, it has ample of what fans of both come to look for (just no trials).
#2: Unheard ($3.49) - A deduction game where your playfield is just a blueprint and you hear the real-time audio of a mystery playing out. You can walk around the map to follow different conversations, and every character in the mystery has a full slate of actions. All the while, you are deducing who the voices belong to, and what their role in the mystery is. It should appeal to fans of Obra Dinn, although I will say that the voice acting is quite stiff and stereotypical (get ready for quite a few "eyyy i'm a new yorkah ovah heeere" voices).

Favorite Point & Click Adventure

#1: Whispers of a Machine ($5.24) - By the makers of Kathy Rain comes a Cyberpunk adventure game with some fantastic visuals and interesting puzzle solutions. You have augmentations that can be used to help investigate, and you gain new abilities based on your approach to conversations. If you choose to be empathetic, or cold, or aggressive, you will gain unique abilities (and be locked out of others). I thought it was actually a better game than Kathy Rain and hey, I heard people are looking for decent Cyberpunk games this year...
#2: Guard Duty ($3.99) - It's weird, this isn't the prettiest game, it's not particularly funny, but I was just very charmed by it. It's rare to see a main character 'nice guy' who is actually nice. Almost every NPC you talk to is willing to tell you a lot about themselves, and the main character is happy to learn about them and make friendships. There are callbacks that I wouldn't expect; there's a painting in the castle in the beginning, and later on you talk to an NPC and the main character is elated to find out that they were the artist who painted it. The painting doesn't even factor into the game, it's just an optional hotspot to look at. That kind of stuff I really appreciate. The game also has a future segment that is trying to riff on Metal Gear (and at least they nail the Snake-like as being kind of a doofus) and that's not as great, but the game's not too long so I thought it was fine. Also pretty cheap as well.

Favorite JRPG

#1: Atelier Escha & Logy ($40, not on sale) - Probably my favorite game in the Atelier series, it's well-structured with goals to follow, the fun bingo board system, an interesting setting and premise (essentially being civil servant alchemists), and a good mix of characters made for the game and brought in from Ayesha.

Favorite Interactive Fiction

#1: PataNoir ($3.49) - A detective game where the solutions involve treating noir metaphors literally. If the light in the room is described like a pool, you can hop in the pool. If someone's face is 'cold and hard like marble', you can take the metaphorical marble, and then that person is no longer unfriendly to you. It's just brilliant, and the game exhausts all possible puzzle possibilities out of this premise before ducking out at the right time.
#2: Color the Truth - This one isn't on steam but it's also free so, you can just google it? It's pretty fun, you're investigating a mystery and you have the ability to go inside people's flashbacks and act as them to relive their memories. Your inventory is made from the clues you uncover, and you can ask people about them to get new information. It's cool.
#3: The Shapeshifting Detective ($12.99, not on sale) - An FMV game from the developer of The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker, you play as a being that can shapeshift into anyone they've talked to. You pose as a detective and try to solve a murder mystery in a small sleepy town where everyone has something to hide, tarot card readers have pulsating cards, and aliens might be real. It's fun, the actor who played Jenks (Contradiction) plays a sassy police chief, and there's an audiobook by Tex Murphy in the game, but the game's biggest flaw is inherited from the dev's previous game: the killer is randomized at the start of a playthrough. Which means that there are certain FMVs that -have- to play in order to implicate them. They make the signposting pretty obvious, and it also makes future playthroughs much less interesting because you're just essentially looking to see what new cutscene plays to implicate a different person. They need to come up with a different gimmick for these games.

and now the stupid awards

Most Disappointing Game:

#1: Beyond a Steel Sky ($22.74) - I remember being interested in Beneath a Steel Sky dating back to the 90s just because of that loving slick computer box Virgin Games made for it. It finally had been released as freeware for SCUMMVM at the turn of the century and I really enjoyed it, the dieselpunk look and comic panel cutscenes setting it apart from other games of the era. So hearing about a sequel releasing this year was really exciting. But adventure games have largely caught up to Steel Sky in terms of variety of aesthetic and modernization of puzzle design. Worse still, Beyond doesn't much feel tonally like the original, while also looking visually genericized. And the puzzles are just.. bad. It basically feels a lot like Revolution's other mediocre revival (Broken Sword 5), which makes me think they should maybe outsource their IPs to a better studio.
#2: Paradigm ($4.64) - Not sure why my most disappointing games are point & click adventures, but maybe it's just because it's very easy to make a completely unfunny comedy game, and Paradigm is one such example. It seems like it wants to have a kind of Cartoon Network college-kid humor, but just none of the jokes land. And almost every line of dialogue is throwing a joke at you, which makes it more painful. It's not the worst adventure game I've ever played (loving Runaway), but definitely not as good for me as all the recommendations said it was.
#3: Divinity: Original Sin ($13.99) - This is largely because of the combat which is too slow for how much of it there is. A lot of not great encounters on your way to each objective. I'd prefer if the fights were more tailored to the campaign or if there were multiple options (including pacifistic) like a true D&D campaign.
#4: Greedfall ($19.99) - Not Spidersy enough

Most Average Game:

Generation Zero ($8.74) - Every year a game gets my coveted award of most inert game that I am indifferent to. One year it was Red Faction Armaggeddon, a game that took everything people liked about Red Faction Guerilla and said "well what if we took all the sandbox fun out of it?" This year it's Avalanche's Generation Zero, a game that should hopefully teach the developer a lesson, that they need to stop designing open world games. Avalanche's best game for most will be Just Cause 2, but I bet even that game's world is maybe just a bit too big and generic for some. Whether it's Mad Max or RAGE 2, the best aspects of Avalanche's games have nothing to do with their open worlds, which are mostly barren and full of copy-pasted assets across the map. Generation Zero is no exception; if you've been in one bunker you've basically been in all of them... and you HAVE to go through all of them for story progression. There are endless houses on the map, and they conform to one of maybe 3-4 designs. All barns are the same, including the placement of a toilet in the exact same spot. Every warehouse is identical. I won't say "low effort", instead I'll say "low interest"... the complete lack of interest in crafting an interesting world is the biggest sin Generation Zero commits. It SHOULD be a fun game, as you fight against robots and can destroy them part by part. But it makes me wonder if the game initially started as a battle royale before being converted into a co-op story FPS, based on how much of your playtime is running miles across nothing to get to copy-pasted houses in order to loot them for ammo and mostly the same weapons. It can be fun, it is often extremely tedious, but it was at least chill when playing with a podcast on. I wouldn't recommend it personally, but it was in a Humble Choice bundle, so some of you already have it. I'll leave the choice to you.

Most Anticipated Games for 2021:

War Girl (May) - The developers of previous freeware darling (and somewhat ugly duckling) Khimera are now doing a Treasure style run and gun game. Should be a good time.

Gestalt Steam & Cinder (TBD) - A 32-bit Metroidvania that legit looks like it could've been released on the PS1/Saturn.

UFO 50 ("Coming Soon") - In 2020 we had the itch.io BLM bundle.. in 2021 will we have another great collection of games in UFO 50? They all look great, and if even a few are outstanding, then this should find its way to my GOTY list easily. It helps that they have a NAM-1977 looking game in there!!

Lore Finder ("Coming Soon") - A queer Lovecraftian Metroidvania with an enby protag and cool abilities (at least played on the demo I played). Should be excellent.

Bushiden (TBD) - Essentially a new Strider game and it looks loving gorgeous.

Outrider Mako ("When It's Done") - Deliver packages while defeating enemies with Sonic-esque homing attacks.. played the demo and it was pretty sweet.

Rhythm Doctor (February) - Rhythm Heaven meets the Healthcare Industy. Demo was pretty fun although someone in a discord I'm in said it might have run into development problems? Hopefully not.

If you've survived this post without adding any games to your wishlist... CONGRATULATIONS, this was a test and you passed. This is the Last Starfighter and you'll be recruited into our upcoming space war. Please wait for further instructions.

Do you or Too Many Shy Guys have Curator pages?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I actually think I would have enjoyed Battleborn as a coop game. Shame it won't even be playable in that state.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

FutureCop posted:

I dunno, I think I wanted to enjoy it as well, but the only thing I remember back from the beta or demo or whatever it was, was that you needed to wait constantly for doors to open because the people on the radio needed to finish their quippy dialogue. For example, even if you worked hard to beat up a boss really fast, it didn't matter: they'd still be talking, and boy did they love to talk, so you just had to sit there and listen to it before being allowed to proceed. To give it some credit, I think they had variations of the mission dialogue, but I think that's the wrong fix for the repetitive situation: that's not attacking the root issue, that's applying a patch over it. Also, it was probably only like 3 variations, so for a mission you're going to be replaying constantly, I'd imagine it would be infuriating. See Borderlands series for similar issues, or Destiny 2 with "whether we wanted it or not...".

That's fair. MOBA but without the time and community of MOBA would scratch a lot of good itches for me if implemented well. Sounds like this isn't.

Still, I find it sad when any big game is delisted or otherwise cancelled. I think that tying single player to online servers is stupid because it keeps games from being experienced at all, good or bad.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Anyone have words about Phoenix Point?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Darkhold posted:

It's gone from garbage to mediocre so I guess that's something to say about it. If you're looking specifically for that old school jank it might be worth a buy. Otherwise there's so many better tactics games you could be playing.

Cool, thank you. Other than Xcom, Battletech, and Troubleshooter what Tactics games would you suggest over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for the tactics recs