Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

anakha posted:

The simplest workaround is to save, close and restart the game every couple of hours.

Surely there are mods that fixes this? Or is that touching to close to the source?

Ragequit posted:

I have not - I'll check out some videos. It has lots of expansions already.

Grim Dawn is as close to a good Diablo clone as you'll get. Highly recommended.

Darkhold posted:

Though one drawback is that it's always better to brute force any problem with more and more robots with simple loops over making more elegant loops with fewer bots.

A feature, not a bug. The game's teaching you how to build a botnet.

HopperUK posted:

Wildermyth has actually been all single mouse-clicks so far, so it might be worth an eyeball?

Good character creation and progression. Combat is lackluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Sway Grunt posted:

I do wish this videocard apocalypse comes to an end soon.
Expect some kind of reprieve at the end of 2022/beginning of 2023. GPU manufactures are loving this high demand, low supply for their bottom line, and it won't be surprising they'll find a way to continue manufacturing a shortage so they can hype new cards but sell them for the price of a used car. Welcome to the future of PC gaming.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also I could not imagine playing a souls like with mouse and keyboard

That sounds miserable

I made the mistake of playing DS1 the first time with a m&kb and wanted to off myself.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Darkrenown posted:

I'm playing Mass Effect 1 in the legendary version and for unknown reasons when I hit the volume up key on my keyboard it toggles the HDR graphics setting. Anyone know how to stop this?

I read somewhere that the legendary version doesn't allow you to rebind keys. Does increase volume sit on a function key?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

Someone sell me on RDR2 online. Any fun to be had there, especially as a non-whale?

Just like in GTA: Online, be prepared to get sniped from miles away from a 14-year-old kid. This time, he'll be on a horse, butt-rear end naked, and using a pea shooter.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Zam Wesell posted:

Speaking of Battlefield, what are some good Battlefieldlikes games that aren't Battlefield.

Squad: https://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/Squad/

Rinkles posted:

been looking for cheaper stuff to pick up. i've heard something or other about all of these, and they're all sub or around $5. any particular recommendations?

My money is on:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a good tutorial video for Rimworld somewhere? LIke, things you should know before you start playing? I asked in the Rimworld thread if it had a decent tutorial and it seemed the consensus was 'It is okay but you may want to watch an LP or something first'

I agree with the thread. When jumping into Tim world for the first time, the game is quite overwhelming. Watching someone else play is a good way to learn the basics.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rinkles posted:

Anything out there like FTL but maybe a bit more forgiving and with longer playthroughs in mind?

What are you looking for exactly? Another roguelike? Another sci-fi game?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rinkles posted:

I guess preferably a sci fi game with team/ship management. I like the progression in FTL, but I think it could also work in something longer term. Think XCOM, where you build a base and get attached to your team over a long campaign (except with different gameplay).

Rimworld is not ship management, per se, but you are handling a team building a base. It's open-ended, a lot of fun, and has a learning curve that'll keep you busy for a long, long time.

There's also Space Haven. It's like Rimworld but on a spaceship: https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/. The game is still in EA, if that matters to you.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rinkles posted:

it does, but thanks, i will keep an eye on it.

no one's obligated to do big sales, but i'm a bit confused by rimworld's price given its age

The game is worth the money. Rimworld hardly goes on sale -- the recent steam sale saw a $3-4 price cut (wow) -- so the price you see is the price you'll pay.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Major Isoor posted:

oooh, this actually looks real good - I kinda wish you hadn't shown it to me, now! :D Just like the OP I think I'll wait a bit, (mostly because I've got other stuff to play, rather than solely due to it being EA) but I reckon I'll have to take the plunge on it sooner or later, for sure. Looks like my kinda game

It has a lot of potential, but who knows when it'll be out of EA. Have you tried Rimworld?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

I am a sucker for anything Dwarf Fortressy.

Absolutely. I'm eagerly waiting for the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress to come.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rimworld just announced a new DLC coming! And it looks cool!

Ideology: Another permanent mood penalty for the liberal and conservative colonists who'll be at each other's throats because they can't stand to be in the same room.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Play posted:

I'd really like to pick up a new GPU soon
In 2023, at the earliest.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

deep dish peat moss posted:

I bought the GOG version of Anno 1404 yesterday and it came with zero uplay shenannigans :toot:

This is the way.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Alright I've been trying Songs of Syx again after the updates it got and it still owns, but can someone help me figure out what is going wrong re: access to services?

50 workers starved to death while building this apartment. I have way more than enough food. There's an Eatery just over on the east side of the library that has employees and doors, but somehow was not being filled. Also they all starved to death instead of walking to any one of my other dozen eateries/kitchen things. My storage rooms are well staffed. I'm not sure why the eatery stopped working or how these people starved to death.

Somehow only 4% of my population has access to wells.

But... I have wells all over the place that aren't being used. You can see 6 in this screenshot alone:

And they all have the maximum number of services available and waiting. And the distance score for wells (1.2%) shows that they're super close to everyone all the time.

Also only 38% have access to beds despite me having large, accessible dormitories all over the place which are barely being used. This used to be about ~4% too and I'm not sure what changed.

I don't use auto-employment and make sure there are always ample workers assigned to everything and plenty of spare odd-job population. I was a little behind on having enough food rooms. My store rooms all have some food in them instead of having just one giant food stockpile (but I have that too).

:confused:

Fuuuuuuck. That good? How's the learning curve?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

tight aspirations posted:

Could I try Squad? Thank you!

You're getting a good deal.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

GreatGreen posted:

Is Kingdom Come: Deliverance worth it these days? I've always been an Elder Scrolls fan which is kind of the closest thing I can think to compare it with, but I'm not sure.

Absolutely. It's a hardcore RPG, but what's fun is the character learns with you, i.e. the better you get at sword fighting, the better your character. The story is... decent, and there is plenty of eastern European jank, but the game is worth the time.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

GreatGreen posted:

How is the world exploration?
You're free to go wherever you like after the first few "prologue" hours.

quote:

How big does the world feel?
The world is quite big, but it's not as large as those found in Oblivion and Skyrim. The game takes place in the Kingdom of Bohemia, so you'll find a large town, small villages, and everything in between.

quote:

One of the things that always bugs me about Elder Scrolls games (well, Oblivion and Skyrim) is that I never feel lost.
The game has a compass and a map available, but you should turn those off if you want full immersion, including getting lost.

Now, if you mean losing yourself in the world, the game world certainly can provide. There is a day/night cycle, and people react based on the time, too.

quote:

The way the worlds of Oblivion and Skyrim are setup makes you feel more like you're in a really big park more than "the open wilderness." How does Kingdom Come feel in that regard?
I mentioned before the game takes place within a kingdom, so the game world doesn't have specific sections dedicated to mountains/snow or a desert.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Objective Action posted:

I have literally man years worth of games in my back log at this point.

I still bought Cyberpunk and Greedfall today. :negative:

What the hell am I becoming.

One game at a time.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rinkles posted:

How are impressions of baldur's gate 3? The small bit of footage I saw looked really good.

It's pretty much Divinity: Original Sin 3, set in a D&D world. It still doesn't have a lot of things fleshed out, and you're better off waiting until the full release.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Givin posted:

I haven't even booted it up but does it do the Larian thing where in multiplayer the only person who gets to interact with NPCs is the initiating person?

I never played multiplayer, so I can't comment on that part.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

ymgve posted:

Is Horizon better with mouse+kb or gamepad? Seems like there's a lot of precision aiming going on, which makes me lean towards mouse controls

I tried both and prefer an Xbox controller. It's easier on the hands.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

Hey y'all, I'm about to make a big infodump on upcoming games as I tend to do these days.
Great list. Thanks for compiling.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Serephina posted:

Played MGS1 years and years ago and enjoyed it, have not paid attention to the series since.

Play Snake Eater than Guns of the Patriots. Those two are probably the best in the series.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

goferchan posted:

If you liked MGS1 you should definitely try to play 2 and 3 one day, they're much more along the lines of the first one and they're two of my favorite games ever made. Your best option for both is probably emulation, MGS2 did get a PC port but it's pretty outdated.

MGS2 is skippable.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rebel Blob posted:

The Age of Decadence is also quite a niche cRPG, but at least it has a demo.
This game is not for the faint of heart.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Age of Empires IV - I don't really know what to say about it. It works well and looks good but it feels extremely content-lite, like it's an early release version or something, but it's not.

The devs will sell the rest of the content as DLC.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Shard posted:

Single Player RPGs are my favorite. Stuff with choices. Favorite games are Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect trilogy, Baldur's Gate that kinda stuff.

Underrail

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

explosivo posted:

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn during the sale, I had it once before but that was before a GPU upgrade so it kinda ran like poo poo and fiddling with settings only made it tolerable so I refunded. I'm having a great time with this now, just a really neat game what with the robo varieties of of creatures and the whole stripping away parts mechanic. I forgot you eventually get a mount so I gasped when the tutorial told me to hop on the strider I just took over. My only complaint so far is the runnin' around isn't the best; my brain is telling me it should feel like an asscreed game but it's definitely not that. There's a lot of awkward videogame jumping over rocks and stuff when it's not super clear there's a section elsewhere with the yellow "climb here" indicator.

Take your time with the story. This is one of those games where collecting every bit of loose info and data pads will enhance the plot greatly.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

Finally off work and trying D:OS2 again

This game gave me aneurysms. God speed.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Where's this from?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Parallelwoody posted:

Horizon zero dawn is a great open world game.

Yes, it is. How far a long are you? Make sure you collect as much data pads and audio logs as possible. They really enhance the story.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

funkmeister posted:

to Ave Maria!

Truly one of the best Hitman moments ever.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Battletech is really really good

How's the learning curve? Are the DLCs worth getting, too?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

not too bad, it's very easy to get into and the game very gently introduces its concepts (though some things like speed pips and whatever might be a bit confusing in the beginning but i'm pretty sure the game is good about listing all of these things).

the DLCs are 10000% worth getting.

The game and all the DLCs are on sale for <$40. I've never played a Battletech game, and the turn-based strategy aspect intrigues me.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Hub Cat posted:

I'm surprised they paid him at all I guess they want the userbase and to avoid the shitstorm from last time.
For the NYT, $1 and $5 million for a game that came out two months ago, built for one person, and became a worldwide, daily obsession was a good deal.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Hub Cat posted:

I guess I never really considered people might be subscribing to the NYT for the games
Many people play the games:

quote:

The Times’s games — along with the crossword and Spelling Bee, they include Letter Boxed, Tiles and Vertex — were played more than 500 million times last year, the company said.

The crossword obviously being the cornerstone of the newspaper's game portfolio.

sebmojo posted:

got back into starcom nexus and goddam it's such a great chill tool round and explore the galaxy and meet alien buddies game. def worth picking up if star control and starflight were your jam.

This reminds me A LOT of Starsector.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ariong posted:

I like the BOTW durability system because the result is that you're constantly rotating from one weapon to the next, which is fun.

So you can't repair items in ER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Disposable Scud posted:

I wish more games were 5-6 hours.

Play them on very easy.