Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tomorrow is the release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tried some demos:

The Iron Oath is a medieval mercenary sim, much like goon-adored (although the upcoming DLC is testing that adoration) Battle Brothers. It's a high fantasy setting instead of low fantasy, however, and it seems to focus more on dungeon crawling and your company surviving the test of time as mercenaries get old, retire, (or die trying) and you hire new youngin's to take their place. Features a political map that will change over time due to calamities and social upheavel, although that part of the game isn't really in the demo. Mainly focuses on the hex grid turn-based battles, that features 4 of the 12 or so classes, with each character having about 6 different skills, many that can only be used so many times per dungeon. It's extremely my poo poo, but the demo is pretty short so it was hard to get a sense of how the game will play outside dungeons.

The Last Spell is a strange mix of tower defense and FFT-style turn based RPG. You're defending a group of wizards trying to cast a world-saving spell against an undead horde that attacks every night. Every day you prepare defenses, level up your heroes, have them perform actions based on the buildings in your town, and prepare defenses like walls, gates, and towers. Every hero is randomly generated, and their abilities are determined by the weapons they have equipped, so there feels like a decent amount of depth to how you organize your crew. Very early alpha, but it's quite fun so far.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mordja posted:

Oh, that's got a demo? Cool. I'd seen them advertise it as FFT meets Dynasty Warriors, are you really fighting hughe swarms of undead?

Yeah although they seem to get tougher and more distinct as you progress.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

The problem I have with that black-white tribal worldview becomes obvious when you flip it around. Say Chris Avellone were a self-described male feminist who does and says the right things in public, because he's very manipulative and good at projecting a socially desirable aura. Would you be completely surprised in that case, maybe even...inclined to disbelieve?

No, actually. There's a reason why "sexual predator level: male feminist" is a joke I'd hear a lot from women I knew who tried online dating.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's too bad, the event reminded me of getting an Amiga Power or PC Gamer back in the 90s and getting a floppy or compact disc with a ton of demos to try.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Second Sister is the best Star Wars villain since Darth Vader. She has the same Terminator style energy as Vader at the end of Rogue One. So good.

Even after she's getting beat and starts uh, falling apart, she just keeps going.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 27, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think it's important to emphasize that while Fallen Order plays like a soulslike it isn't as tightly tuned as Sekiro or Bloodborne or anything like that. It's a fun game, but the mechanics can be a bit frustrating at times. Other times it's good.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
One game that gets overlooked is Druidstone: The Secret of Menhir Forest which is a puzzle/RPG/Xcom style game that's charming and a lot of fun. It's 75% right now and worth a look if you like those kinds of games. It's definitely more on the Into The Breach style turn-base strategy/RPG game but I think a lot of Xcom lovers would like it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gonna slide that up the wishlist, thanks! Adjacently, did you know that the steam wishlist UI sucks? I can't search for a game and then re-rank it. I HAVE to manually search through 500+ games to find the one I want to be near the top (or remove or)

Yeah it's pretty bad and I just keep mine under 10 games because gently caress dealing with it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mordja posted:

Am I an idiot for considering buying a :pcgaming::siren:gaming chair:siren::pcgaming:? Specifically a Secretlab one, I've been hearing good things about them.

Curious too because it seems like they'd be good for tall people. Normal office chairs are just too short for me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Picked up another cool very small game called Dépanneur Nocturne. It's on sale now for $4.49USD. The whole game is a brief late night shopping trip to a convenience store to buy your girlfriend a gift. It isn't stated anywhere that you're male or female, so it's up to you to decide that. You get to putter around the store and browse. You can pet a cat. There are other interesting things to do and see too, but best not go into that here.

When I say it's short, I mean it's very short. You could probably do a run in a minute or two if you didn't really want to engage with the game. I haven't done everything in my one playthrough, but I'm sure you could exhaust the content in under an hour if you rushed...But don't do that. It's pretty polished and has a great sense of place. There's no action to speak of, so don't come anywhere near this if you want anything resembling a traditional game. It's more like a walking simulator and low-key adventure game mashup with FPS controls.

I got it on a lark, having read nothing about it. I'm glad I rolled the dice. If you're game for something quick, sweet and different, you might keep it in mind.

finally a game that encapsulates what it's like living in montreal

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Time for the annual check... nope, still not on GoG. :smith:

Casualty.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

Same here. I'm reluctant to do a full rebuild any time in the near future bc my i7 is just solid. I pop a new graphics card in it and I'm pretty sure I can squeeze 10 years out of the basic system. It'll be RAM needs that get me, bc I have a miniITX motherboard that only fits 16 GB. Otherwise, am I supposed to have an i7 that is just a Plex server? Nah.

Yeah I'm still running an i5-4590 with a 970 and 8 GB RAM that I built at the end of 2013 and only Shipbreakers has really tanked my system recently and that's still got EA performance issues.

The 970 has been the best graphics card I've ever bought. It can still run almost anything really well and it's lasted 7 years without a hitch. The only thing I've had to replace on this PC is a PSU. I would love to get a bigger SSD and should probably get more RAM at some point but I'm happy to keep my PC as is during plague times.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a cat irl posted:

Mgs3 is still GOAT tho

yeah it's the only MGS I've played and it was amazing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I want a sequel to LOOM. I've read the interview where they talk about the trilogy, and it had the best puzzles.

There might be an exception but anyone who made adventure games in the 90s probably shouldn't be involved in making a new one. I think the Space Quest kickstarter is in its 6th year of development at this point.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hwurmp posted:

play Wandersong

I'll check it out, thanks!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KazigluBey posted:

Has anyone tried Blightbound? It's in EarlyAccess and what sounds interesting is that it's some kind of co-op dungeon-crawler. Anyone had a go?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263070/Blightbound/

I played the demo over last weekend with some friends. It's not bad, especially at 20 bucks. There were only 3 dungeons in the demo, but it looked like there were at least 7 or 8 for EA (maybe?) which is good since none of them are randomized. There's a long grind to upgrade your camp that unlocks different skills, there's some craft. The highilght of the game is definitely the coop since each class feels pretty dependent on the other two. Only the mage can heal using a secondary resource, but he relies on the other two to collect his secondary resources for him. Only the warrior can really soak a decent amount of damage, and you lean on your assassin to dish out a lot of damage quickly.

I don't know about longevity and how much EA jank there will be though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mechancius 40k is free this weekend and also on a pretty amazing sale. I guess it's time to take it for a spin. I've heard it's decent, not XCOM good but still pretty good.

Orv posted:

God I could be such an rear end in a top hat right now but I won't.

E: My wife died of stomach cancer earlier this year but I didn't want to actually use that as a cudgel, tempting as it is it seems like a real dick move, even if I am doing better.

Sorry man, I got dealt that diagnosis a year and a half ago and it's rough to get through no matter if you're the person affected or the one supporting them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

pentyne posted:

Is there anything special or unique to it or is it just a decent W40K XCOM?

I've been playing it for free and while it's pretty fun, I think I'd get bored with it pretty quickly. There's lots of different build paths for your techpriests but there's no cover system so in true 40k fashion people just stand there and blast away at each other, although there is some line of sight, on a lot of maps it doesn't matter.

The campaign reminds me a bit of DoW2 and XCOM -- the campaign lasts a finite amount of time, and you're encouraged to move quickly and take as little time as possible during missions. Each mission rewards you with new blueprints for weapons, items, troop options, and upgrades. There's no % to hit as well, but enemies have armour and other abilities that can frustrate your ability to do damage. The mechanic where you don't know an enemy's HP/armour until your scan them or some other way of gathering intel is kinda neat.

The resource system you gather during battle is pretty fun, and keeps you focused on trying to balance building resources while figuring out how to best squeeze out as many attacks as you can. You can also just go all out with one character as long as they still have weapons that they can shoot/swing. But I don't know if it really has the replayability of a XCOM. Good soundtrack though.

Still it's only :10bux:

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 17, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

JollyBoyJohn posted:

How does combat function in Disco Elysium? I'm tearing through Baldurs Gate 2 at the moment but I'm cheating through every single battle because I could not care less about the combat mechanics of that one.

DE has the best combat sequence in almost any RPG I've played because there's actual tension.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
One point and click adventure I really enjoyed recently was Whispers of a Machine and it's only $5 at the moment.

Thinking about grabbing the Battletech DLC. I got stuck on a story mission at release and stopped playing, but I enjoyed the game for what it was, I just didn't really know how to build effective mechs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

My processor is an i5-4460 quad (I think, i can't remember but it shows 4 processers in the system info) so combined with the 970 sounds like i could handle it, but I don't want to be like I was with RDR2 and have to set the graphics to PS2 mode to get to be playable. This is why I am hesitant to just save my money and buy Cyberpunk next month. But I guess it depends on how much it is on ps4, because i know i won't have the same worries on there.

FWIW I ran it fine on a 970 and i5-4590 quad, which I don't think is that much of a step up from your machine.

Shipbreaker is a chill game where you disassemble space ships. I think what sets it apart from house flipper or other games like it is disassembling ships while handling the various hazards that comes with disassembling ships: electricity, explosive decompression, reactor cores melting down, coolant leaks. Now that is a game that did tax my system, so be weary. Pretty fun though, and deeply satisfying when you manage to peel apart the hull of a ship and all of its components go flying into the proper directions.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 26, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Star Renegades deserves some credit for graphics at least, that game is really pretty.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Looking at Remnant: From the Ashes and Battletech DLC for sale pickups. I liked Battletech at release, I just didn't really know what I was doing with mech customization, got stuck on one of the campaign missions and just left it.

Remnant looks like a hybrid between a 3rd person shooter/looter/souls game that could be alright.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't know if you bother with the Epic Games Store but if you do Remnant was a freebie a while back so you may have it already.

Never touched Epic so sadly no.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I'm looking at Heroes of Hammerwatch and Chronicon and wondering which I might like more

Heroes of Hammerwatch is definitely best played with other people. I found it pretty dry solo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah anything that soaks big hits in Troubleshooter is really helpful. Impulse Fields for (almost) everyone. I love the builds you can develop by combining various mastery/mastery sets. Hiding mastery sets is a little silly to me, I'm just going to look them up like I imagine most people do.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Obra Dinn has one of the best transitions from an opening tutorial level to the first act. Got a good "oh holy poo poo" out of me.

Spectacular game.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think Star Renegades (https://store.steampowered.com/app/651670/Star_Renegades/) got overlooked a bit. It's a pretty fun...roguelike? I guess....game with JRPG battles, absolutely beautiful pixel graphics, and a lot of different characters to play in different builds. The game's shed a lot of its bugs and UI sluggishness since release and the devs have added a new planet and a new character and expanded difficulty options with plans for more in the future. This is from the same developer that produced Halcyon 6, if that helps anyone.

I'd also be remiss to not mention AI War 2 (https://store.steampowered.com/app/573410/AI_War_2/) which now has multiplayer added to it finally. As the sequel to what's probably Arcen's only really commercially successful game, I think the developer did a good job taking what was fun about the original and cutting out a lot of the busywork so you can focus on broader strategy. I've got a lot of love for Arcen and their weird, janky, and sometimes bad games, and this is probably the best of the bunch.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 23, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
demoncrawl is addictive as hell. there's a bajillion classes, levels, difficulty modes, items to collect stupid avatars and paints that I definitely don't spend time unlocking no sir

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also can't recommend Whispers of a Machine and the classic Machinarium that someone else mentioned enough.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 30, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can't? Why? Those are really good.

Forum posting was slow as hell and I forgot to edit in "enough" at the end of my post whoops!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Barry Convex posted:

lol apparently The Medium can't maintain 60fps even on an RTX 3080... at 1080p... with RTX turned off

https://twitter.com/D_S_O_Gaming/status/1354429190729297921

I had no plans to play it until later this year, after Bloober Team has patched it a couple times, and it looks like that was the correct decision, though my expectations aren't terribly high on the optimization front

edit: super beaten on the joke drat

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tried Loop Hero and it's pretty fun! You do everything but directly control your hero who wanders the same loop while you stack different tiles in different arrangements to affect the board, equip items the hero collects. The initial tiles you can generate come from a deck you build. There's also a camp/town building mechanic that unlocks bonuses and new cards as you gather resources from your hero's expeditions, with the ultimate goal of your hero surviving long enough to summon the boss of the stage and killing him.

Part of the fun comes in figuring out how different tiles interact with each other that the game doesn't explicitly tell you about, like putting boulders/mountains in a 3x3 pattern turns all of them into a mountain peak that gives your hero a big boost to HP and sends harpies down to the path. Looks like the final game will have a lot of buildings to unlock and several different heroes to play, and quite a few levels.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tried the Slipways demo. It reminds me a lot of board games. You have 25 years to build as big a space empire as you can. You fire off probes to scan for new planets, establish colonies with resource needs and production of your choosing then connect that colony to other colonies with slipways that establish trade routes. As you meet the demands of your colonies, they develop into increasingly successful planets and produce even more goods. It's tricky getting started, as a good setup has you connecting at least 3-4 planets together in beneficial trade network before you start exploring further. There's a galactic council made up of various races that you select on startup that give you bonuses, a bunch of technologies you can unlock by establishing research stations that take excess population and certain resources to generate research for you. You choose two technologies per tier, and that's where the game can really open up as the technologies allow you to manipulate your planets' position, colonize planets that are otherwise inhospitable, or build extra slipway nodes that allow you to branch out further.

Some googling shows that this is baed on a flash game, so it's pretty impressive as it's come a long way. Demo comes with two maps, but the final version looks like it comes with a ton of game modes and a procedurally generated map. It's an engaging enough puzzle that I may go back and play it some more.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also thanks for all the responses on Valheim. That actually looks like a refreshing take on the survival genre with it's terraria like progression and PvE emphasis.

Yeah, nthing my enjoyment for Valheim, playing with one other person. The game drip feeds you new stuff as you progress, and it's fun to just wander around, explore things, figure out how to access a new material, get a ton of new recipes to try out and experiment with. We're having lots of fun just figuring out what materials we want to gather, building gear then setting off to take on the next boss.

There's been some fun surprises like encountering a few large enemies, or the havoc you can cause by knocking down a tree into other trees.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I can't reliably find any flint or stone, and boars keep goring me :(

Stone is kinda random - eventually you'll find plenty - flint you find specifically by and in water.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah once I realized I could get building parts to snap to the existing structure I put my cursor on it got a lot easier to build. Not perfect, but a lot better.

As other people have said having everything tied to loot more than skills or anything else means a friend jumped in after a couple of days and was contributing right off the bat. We also built a longship to sail to the next boss, decided to check out a new "plains" biome and uh, it didn't go well. My attempt to snag our corpses after dying went extremely poorly as the monsters that wrecked us were still there, so we've written off all those items for the time being.

But unlike some games it wasn't a huge deal as all the base infrastructure and old equipment allowed us to recover pretty quickly. The only slightly annoying thing is that we had to summon and refight a previous boss to get some key items back to progress again. I'm sure that kind of setback would annoy some people but it adds to the challenge of the game for me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Blattdorf posted:

Demoncrawl is going to have Online Multiplayer.

Oh great like I need to sink another hundred hours into a minesweeper RPG.

seriously why do I play this game why is it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

Jesus how loving dire was the RPG scene in Europe back then if loving Witcher 1 was seen as "ah yes, this is amazing, this makes me want to play games like it".

It wasn't just the European RPG scene, it was western RPGs in general.