Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

The Joe Man posted:

We've finally mastered emulating emotions. The PS3 is still a ways off.
You can play a few PS3 games, not sure how many, but seems that through sheer brute force, they have figured out the PS3. Most important though is you can play Demon's Souls at 4k 60fps now and it runs and looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

The Joe Man posted:

Right but you need a beast. I actually just tried DeS and while it was technically playable, it was choppy as hell. They're definitely making headway but it's still a few years out before either the hardware standard or emulator optimization catches up.

A lot like how PS2 emulation went down (which I assume is finally up to snuff in regard to my Emotion Engine joke, I haven't tried it recently).
I didn't really have issues with it being choppy and at the time I played I just had a 2600x and 1080ti. This isn't 60fps, it is before that, but here's an example of Tower Knight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvBpe2edBGU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

but it's a microsoft first party game

Valve games are exclusive to steam as well
Microsoft paid for third party exclusives for years though now it seems like they are just buying up the studios.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Nordick posted:

I was quite enjoying Age of Wonders: Planetfall through XBOX Game Pass, and was already several missions in. Then the game crashed and wouldn't run anymore, even after a reinstall. Well, it runs, but crashes after the first loading screen before getting to the main menu even. Not cool.
I have the same issue with Prey, was excited to see it on game pass only to see it crash all the time. Glad I only spent $1.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

The game pass really is amazing for $1 but I wish it was all just win32 app format with normal installer options. Also, some games crash for me, and I quit playing the one game I wanted to play, Prey because of it. Every time I look though they add new games and the UI keeps getting better, so maybe someday it will be an option worth more than the one buck they charged me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

baka kaba posted:

Steam Prey crashed for me a few times when I was messing with the graphics settings, so maybe it's a crashy game in general?
Ah, I guess it could be, I only tried it on game pass.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

i played the stoneshard prologue, it was neat, how much game is there so far? Like would I be playing for an hour, or three hours? Is the world fairly large? Is there more than three enemy types? It's cheap, I should probably just buy it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Hub Cat posted:

Yall can have some keys because I forgot to pause this month:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=T3CG5mXpU65cZyS3 Okami
Thanks, I always wanted to play Okami, I really appreciate it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Carecat posted:

Ooblets is out on EGS and I think there is a gently caress up, it's showing with a sale coupon that takes the price down to 1/3rd of what it should be.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I wanted this game in early access but for $10, it's a no brainer.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I guess I should play Alan Wake and see what it's all about, Epic gave it away for free a while ago.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Its absolutely goddawful in this regard. I can't remember the last time I got this angry with a game's story and exposition. The first 2 1/2 to 3 hours or so is exposition dump after non-stop exposition dump delivered by poorly directed hollywood actors who's real life names are displayed in title cards so that you don't ever forget that they are big time hollywood actors. Its seriously some of the worst writing I've ever seen in a video game. Its sub-Netflix original level. Like, embarrassingly bad. There are multiple parts where supporting characters are describing basic poo poo to the player character, like who his own mother and sister are. I played as much as I could before just saying "gently caress this" and ejecting the disc and I think that included about 20 minutes of total actual gameplay out of about 3 hours total play time.
This was my exact experience, luckily at the time Red Box was still renting games so it cost me a couple bucks instead of sixty. I may have kept with the walking sim part had there been less terrible story but the combat part was also not great and should have been left out completely.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I did gamepass for like a year and never played anything on it but I tend to just play a couple games at a time and just buy them so I can play at my leisure. Even at a dollar I didn't feel like I got my money's worth, so certainly not paying $10 or whatever it is now. I also just hate the xbox app, I would rather play all the free games I get off epic than use that thing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also the download speeds on the Microsoft store are way worse than they are on Steam for some reason, and the file management is always hosed up.
The file management is awful, the app sometimes has trouble loading some content, the account management is awful and sometimes you have to go to a website for things and sometimes it's in the app. I think it's also funny that out of the beta to whatever they call it now, nothing has really changed, maybe it crashes less. I just refuse to use it at this point and buying games on steam works fine. I thought Microsoft said they were removing the weird file installing directory that is not standard, but doesn't seem like anything ever came of that announcement.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Subnautica is one of the best games I have ever played, it does a great job of giving some direction along with allowing you to slowly explore the depths. I don't know how much the main game goes for, but it was given out for free at a couple of places. If you think you may not be able to play, the first couple of hours is in a safe area where all you have to worry about is food and water, so give it a chance, it's a shallow bright area. I bet you will want to go deeper.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

I'm curious about this new one but haven't really looked at it much since it first showed up on the store, for those who played it is it pretty much more of the same?
I'm curious too, I got it on EGS when it was $10 but I have been waiting for a finished version before I play.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I'm having a good time with Hell Let Loose. The shooting is great and the maps are really awesome. The main issues I run in to are teams who don't talk on mic, you pretty much have to with this game to have any fun because the maps are so large so coordination is really important. There are some balance issues with guns on the German side which isn't terrible, but the starting German gun for the main class is a lot harder to use than the American one. And there are some serious stuttering issues at times. They seem to clear up as the game goes on, but they are annoying. Also be prepared to die a lot to explosions from no where and people you never see.

Hell Let Loose is also significantly easier to get in to than Squad. I still want to play squad, but it's a much deeper and more toward the realism experience.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Deakul posted:

Battlefield as a franchise isn't even really worth checking out anymore since the latest entries are hacker havens, all of the Day of Defeat-esque games are dead, Medal of Honor has been dead, the historical Call of Duties are mostly dead or loaded with servers that have dumb rules, and that probably covers it?
I still play BFV, BF1 and BF4 all the time and never run in to hackers.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would mash “buy” an an Infamous franchise pack on Steam so goddamn fast. I liked Infamous 2 enough I went and picked up all 300 blast shards. The traversal was so fun.
Same, I loved that game. I also really liked the first one, but it's a bit janky and there are less options for moving around fast. Would love to play both on PC again.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I bought this thanks to the early demo and this post reminding me how good it is. It's really good, for something with literally one control, it's great fun.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

sebmojo posted:

it's amazing, the sort of game that will make you laugh with delight

really sweet little love stories too
I thought I had a bug with the second boss and realized it was literally part of the gameplay, and then it went wild, I was grinning the whole song.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

In Oregon the one I go to literally still washes your windows if you fill up which I would rather they not most of the time.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Artelier posted:

Help, Rhythm Doctor 2-3 is kicking my rear end. I can't seem to get the timing for the fast Get Set and the (lack of) visual indicators are not helping. After trying yesterday and today I finally pulled myself up to the stage high ranking of D+.
I don't think the "Ready get set" helps that much other than let you know on set it's a new rhythm. I just played that one to remember what it was like and I tapped it out with my foot while I played it. It helped but this game gets so much harder than that one, so I was like breezing through it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

They added a Battle Royale sorta elimination race mode to PGA Tour 2K21 and it honestly loving rules. 20 golfers tee off at the same time, score doesn't matter, just get your ball in the hole before the last few people to move onto the next round. So you're racing to get yours in not last or second to last, but also once the first person makes it in a 30 second timer starts and anyone left has to get theirs in before the timer's up. So you really have to focus under pressure when you're on the green with 7 other players lining up shots trying to get the last slot to move on and there's a literal clock ticking in your ear the whole time. Really fun and surprisingly frantic.
Sounds fun, I want to try it, too bad it's still $60. The game itself looked so dated I couldn't get myself to pay that much.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Hell Let Loose has a free weekend (starting now) and a sale after the new update it had this week

https://store.steampowered.com/app/686810/Hell_Let_Loose/

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

There's a free weekend for Hell Let Loose and someone on my friends list got an achievement for it:

Pretty impressive if only 6.9% of players of this game have ever gotten at least 1 kill lol
The achievements were only activated like 2 days ago, so most people haven't played with the new update I imagine.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Kibayasu posted:

Look up Days Gone (PS4 game), its basically the uber prepper fanfic game and that's with the game being caught in a development hell before being pushed out half finished.
The developers grew up in rural central Oregon and were part of that kind of culture if I remember correctly and it's kind of a take on that. They themselves aren't part of the prepper crowd though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Weird that I have never heard of Holdfast, it's a no-brainer at that price, thanks for the recommendation.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I played Holdfast yesterday as well and my thought are it is hilarious to play with so many people. The mechanics of the game or okay, nothing great, but forming a line with 50 other people and charging at the enemy that can't hit the broad side of a barn is pretty fun. I was playing one game and at the spawn people were literally sitting around in chairs and chatting the whole game, and there are classes where you just walk around playing an instrument or carry a flag. It's goofy fun for sure, I think I played for a couple of hours so far.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I bought Ooblets, it was okay, people got way too mad about the whole dev thing, they were not entirely serious and they were caught up in a wave of anti-Epic store stuff at its peak.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

As far as shooting in Holdfast, it's somewhat frustrating since there is built in randomness, and I can't quite figure out the bullet drop, here are some tips. Crouch to shoot for more accuracy. Stand at a line and crouch for even more accuracy, especially in a crowd. Take off the bayonette with T to get more accuracy. Stand by the guys playing music for some buffs, I think reload speed and something else. You can see your buffs up in the left top. I feel like killing people is random for me though at this point, but I think I have a latency issue on the active servers.

Here's a last stand in a tower with lots of people and bayonettes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBeGCAeyYQ

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

BrianRx posted:

Anyone grab it yet? I played a ton of the first one in early access and burnt out before release so I've never finished the story. I don't think I'd be interested in "more of the same", but it would be cool to go into a Subnautica game blind with a few improvements.
I bought it on Epic a long time ago and started playing today. It's literally Subnautica in a new setting. They didn't change any of the UI, the crafting, the survival elements, a lot of the fish and devices are the same, same resources, etc. New story, new setting.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone try that free weekend WWI shooter game yet, Beyond the Wire? I guess its still EA.
I played this today and I think it's pretty good. I didn't think I would like it, but the guns are really satisfying to shoot and the explosions and just general feel of the game are great. The issue that has always kept me from buying and playing is no one plays the game. Before this free weekend, there were like 40 people playing. I hope it picks up because it's a good game in my opinion.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

Chivalry 2 owns. I wasn't sure if I was ready for another Chivalry after bouncing hard off of Mordhau but I'm really digging this beta.
It's fun I am glad the beta is open so I could try it out as I would never buy anything like this blind, but I think I am sold.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Scalding Coffee posted:

How is the archer spam? That made me give up Chivalry since you can drop dead without seeing any archers at all.
It didn't seem bad to me, and since they are easy to kill it seems fairly well balanced. I got killed maybe twice by archers alone. I have only played about 20 matches though, but the game is free right now so give it a shot.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I ended up buying days gone even though I have the free version on the PS5, but I ended up never playing it and I sold my PS5 since I only use a PC anyway. Game is pretty good and I am glad it's on PC. Also pretty neat that it is in Oregon with real landmarks I recognize.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Mescal posted:

What city?
It's in the Central Oregon cascades, three fingered jack, mount Jefferson, sisters.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I stopped playing Death Stranding because the cut scenes were long and dumb (some people like this, fair) but also mainly because I thought the combat stealth or whatever it was was really bad. I don't even remember what it was like, but if you got caught, you went to some alternative universe and had to run from a whale or something. Also not sure about later in the game, but all the hubs were all the same, and you got jobs by chatting with someone the same way through some intercom so it all felt the same no matter what the job was or where you took it from. I liked the part about delivering stuff though, but they kept forcing combat sections, or stealth combat sections that were not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Hell Let Loose has been in EA for a couple of years and still peaks at like 5k players. Squad has a ton of players too.