Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Anyone tried Bright Memory? Thoughts on that? The price looks right, but it seems almost too low.

anilEhilated posted:

Didn't she do some writing for the Divinity series?

I believe she did a novella called "Child of Chaos" which tied into Beyond Divinity, but that was the least fun actual game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm getting the itch to re-install The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim after almost 5 years since I last played. In addition to the original, I apparently also have the Special Edition, but I don't see any "Workshop" section on that page. It might be a silly question (or better asked in the Skyrim modding thread), but is the Special Edition mod-capable at all? Assuming so, are the differences between the two versions enough that finding SE-compatible mods would be more difficult?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

It is, however expressly not mod-compatible with anything made for the older 32-bit of Skyrim, so any mods that have not been updated for Special Edition (which is a ton of the really good ones) will not be available to you. Fair warning.

That's what I was afraid of, but on the other hand, I've always shyed away from installing dozens of mods and have forgotten most of what I used to use anyway.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Has anyone tried the turn-based tactical RPG Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? If so, what are the good points and weak points of the game?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 22, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

If you have ever played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, it's basically exactly like that game. The biggest downside I've found so far is that the gameplay is incredibly slow, just like FFTA. As in, slow in terms of how quickly things happen. I've sat through more than a few fights where I just went "Christ, please let me be done with this already" because everything takes so long.

I haven't, but that does help a bit. So slow gameplay. That's not normally a big problem for me, but I'm assuming that you mean slow in the sense that "this fight is no longer a challenge, but it'll still take 2-10 minutes to finish."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

OzFactor posted:

Fell Seal is an incredibly faithful modern realization of a pretty outdated type of game, that being the FFT SRPG. If you are the type of person who put thousands of hours into FFT, it'll lovingly massage the itch that you may have forgotten about. But I agree with the previous comment: you might play it and think it's a bit of an outdated model, mainly in that the basic gameplay is just pretty slow. If it had a few more speed-up options, like turning off animations or something (or, as suggested, just a straight-up fast forward button), I'd give it a full recommendation, like I did earlier in this thread when I was still in my first 10 hours or so. As it stands, I'd only give it a strong rec for aforementioned FFT people.

I played The Last Remnant to completion twice without putting battles on Turbo or skipping animations. In fact I almost never skip animations, I guess it doesn't usually bother me. That said, this could be a game where it does bother me, I don't know. I'll look up some gameplay videos (like this one) and see.

GrandpaPants posted:

If you're thinking about starting it now, you might want to wait 1-2 months for the expansion DLC to come out. They've recommended that it's one of those "fresh game" types of DLCs, rather than just adding a new story or whatnot.

Thanks for the tip, I already wishlisted it, so I'll hold off for the moment.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Has anyone played the point-and-click Adventure Memoria? Any thoughts on it?

Wizard Styles posted:

Did you play it (Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark) before the DLC? I just started a playthrough with the DLC but haven't gotten to anything DLC-related yet.
But the base game is good. A lot of things are implemented very smoothly - the job XP system, items (refresh each battle), characters going down in battle (temporary stat loss) etc.
You need to grind, but not too much. The maps are good, a bit bigger on average than in FFT and many other FFT-inspired games.
The story is nothing special but the moment-to-moment writing is fairly good for a game like this, just probably won't grip you the way FFT can.

I haven't got the base game of Fell Seal yet, so I think I'll try that before getting the DLC, which looks like it adds mostly optional content. There's no difference in price between getting the base and DLC separately or buying them in one bundle.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

I have played Chains of Satinav, which is their previous game in the Dark Eye series of adventure games, and I can personally recommend that one. It was a really nice exploration of a weird and detailed fantasy world that I know basically nothing about. Gorgeous artwork, too.

I was thinking of picking up at least one of those games, but now that they're - let me check... 90% off... yeah, I think I'll get both of those, once Steam actually allows me to do so. But I'll pass on the "Dark Eye Universe" bundle which comes with Blackguard, which is apparently terrible.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Apparently if you pre-order Dying Light: Hellraid, you can play the beta this weekend. Has anyone here done that? Is the beta up now?

Pierson posted:

I remember Dying Light being a very fun singleplayer campaign with a tacked-on multiplayer mode, now I look at the store page and there's two dozen pieces of DLC. Did it transition into a Division-style looter-shooter since then? Is it worth taking another look at if I just played it at release?

A lot of the DLC is just weapon skins or outfits. It did get a full expansion pack in The Following, a gigantic open world countryside full of zombies to drive over in your somewhat customizable buggy. There's a new story campaign, with lots of new quests, new weapons like submachineguns, shotguns, revolvers, and the Crossbow (which can be upgraded with a scope for a silenced sniper weapon). The Following is definitely worthwhile, every other DLC pack else is just to your taste. The biggest drawback to the Following is that if you really liked the parkour aspect, there's not a lot of places to do that in anymore, because it's so open.

Some DLC packs do offer firearms with possibly useful properties. The Gun Psycho DLC offers the Marksman Rifle, which is a reflex scope that makes precise shots easier, and the Retrowave bundle offers a gun that shoots stunning electric bullets. But other than The Following, everything else is entirely skippable.

The Devs have been trying to keep the community alive by adding lots of free content as well, like a silenced pistol blueprint.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
If you've picked up the Strategy RPG Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, here's an important tip which is quite unintuitive:

Even though you can and will have two active classes (like Mercenary/Mender), you will ONLY gain Ability Points (which unlock skills and passives for that class) for the primary class. Your Mercenary/Mender can use the Mender's healing spell as much as you want, and you won't gain any progress at all towards improving your proficiency with Mender.

If you want to actually gain Mender AP, you'll need to use the Class Change (which isn't as permanent as it sounds like) to switch your primary class to Mender. There is another way - you slowly gain AP in a class based on what your other active party members primary class is. The game calls that Vicarious AP. Your Mercenary/Mender won't gain any Mender AP itself, but if you have a Mender/whatever in the battle, your Mercenary/Mender will gain about half the AP the sum of all the Mender/whatevers are gaining.

This means that you'll probably want to frequently make use of Class Changes to prioritize what you want to be learning.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Just started up the point-and-click adventure game "The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav".

The narrator describes that in preparation for the celebration of an impending peace treaty, the youth of had been tasked with a cheerful challenge. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0WwepHkyw]Cut to a pair of cheerful youths cheerfully bullying the protagonist (Geron the bird-catcher), and cheerfully half-drowning him in a pig trough[url].

The tutorial never breaks the flow of the game, you need to learn the controls yourself. One of the most interesting one is "break things with your mind". It seems that an old sage once proclaimed that Geron would bring great misfortune. Being considered cursed and bad luck is pretty standard for a protagonist, but actually being able to break things at a distance with your mind is neat, although everyone already blames him for it, anyway.

Wizard Styles posted:

There were some questions about Fell Seal re: starting the base game without the DLC installed earlier.

I started a new playthrough when the DLC came out (I played probably a little over half of it when it first came out). DLC content starts early but it's all side stuff. You do get to recruit monsters, though, and those need to be leveled, so I wouldn't wait too long. But you can definitely play up to the first boss before making a decision about whether or not you want the DLC.

Can you define "early", because I'm just at the first boss (I restarted after making it past the first fight after the first boss - and this time I'm properly switching classes), and I don't have any idea how to get the "Beastmaster" class or recruit beasts yet. I'm assuming that I'm still too early.

quote:

Relatedly, loving up the first fight after a boss because you're playing without really thinking is something that just happens, of course. You just beat a boss, what are some zombies gonna do to you?
But doing that when you're playing a game for the second time, then remembering - as you see your second unit go down - that you also hosed this up during your first playthrough really makes you feel special.
It's not even hard, you just get to the ladder and get on the roof asap. But why think about how to approach a map or check enemy levels before you walk in and start swinging, really? :downs:

That fight was pretty fun. Only one person went down for me... I think, but I was organizing a retreat to the roof just as I reached the point where we'd talked fast enough to end the fight. It was a well done fight that definitely gives you the sense that you're just holding out for time.

Protip for Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark:
- You can freely use the skills from both your primary and secondary classes.
- However you ONLY gain AP (points that unlock a class's skills) for your primary class, or as vicarious experience from other characters who have that as their primary class.
- Thus, if you want to learn the skills from a class, use the Class Change feature to make that your primary class.
- You can put any passive or counter skills you've unlocked from ANY of your classes into two passive slots and one counter slot. So you can mix and match, once you have things to put in there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

El_Elegante posted:

Are you allowed to name the PC Arbiter Mark?

The main characters have fixed names. The protagonist is called Kyrie. You can name one of the recruits characters that, but since Arbiter is a title, and the recruits are considered fellow Arbiters, "Arbiter Mark" would merely read as "Arbiter, whose name is Mark".

Dackel posted:

You need to do Guild Missions, they will explicitly say when they unlock something (The "tamer" class is called Wrangler, iirc Samurai is 2nd and lastly Beastmaster, the "pet" class.

Really enjoying the DLC and the way they implemented the monster classes. I'm a bit meh on how they implemented mission timers, but I made it on my game so that they only last 1 minute and always succeed. It's a single player game after all

I have been doing missions, but none of them so far have unlocked new classes, possibly because I'm so early in the game. One of them says essentially "better send a monster to catch a monster", and I don't have a monster yet. That's why I'm not sure if I'm too early or not.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 28, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dackel posted:

You should have gotten a free Vangal at least from a mission in the first area called Time for a culling. The mission you mentioned which "needs" a monster is actually a repeatable one, so it doesn't matter. The second area has both mission to unlock wrangler/beastmaster and also gives you a free wrangler NPC as a recruit

Ah, now I see that one. I haven't done it yet, but now I suppose is as good a time as any.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

abelwingnut posted:

so i'm pretty new to modern gaming. have been picking up ps4 and switch games since hell struck. in any case, now just getting into steam and i want to take advantage of the sale. i bought a few classics for super cheap, but god knows, i have no idea on like 98% of these. interested in anything < $10 that has a fun story or style. gameplay...so long as it's competent? i don't need anything super active or crazy. just things that are artistically or narratively satisfying, really.

then again, i love a good strategy game, and bought aoeii for that. any of those are great too.

If you want something cheap with a fun story or style - and you aren't allergic to RPGMaker games - take a look at Echoes of Aetheria. I had that one sitting on my wishlist for ages, but I never bothered picking it up. Sure, the battle screen looked a lot more interesting than the usual RPG Maker fare, but just looking at the screenshots and store video didn't really grab me. It wasn't until this sale that I got it.

I was not expecting the writing to be as solid as this, nor for the characters to charm the pants off me the way they did. The way the story smoothly switches between characters when appropriate is well done, and keeps it feeling like more of an ensemble cast. The characters are three-dimensional, they have moments of self-doubt, and fear, and sadness and anger, and they also have fun and joke and banter. It has been a true joy to watch them talk to each other.

The battle system also has some depth. The battlefield is two grids facing each other. Characters can cover other characters, so melee attackers must target the ones in front first to get to the ones behind. To encourage keeping your characters in formation, there is a huge difference in HP between the tank and squishy characters. The protagonist, Lucian, is a tough fighter, but has a bunch of elemental type attacks to use. The gun-fighter can pick enemies off in the back with a single shot, but can't take many hits. The healer/mage character also has a wrinkle in that all her abilities (including healing) are cast from her own health pool, so that needs to be managed as well. The fact that all HP and status is restored after every battle helps keep it balanced.

Each of the 5 characters has a lot of skills available - more than 30 skills each. Each time you level up (which is frequently), you gain 1 or 2 skills until they're all unlocked. You can have up to 6 active skills and 3 passive skills available, but you only start out with a couple of those 6 slots available, and more open up gradually as the story progresses. Most active skills use the resource called TP. TP is gained by dealing and receiving damage, and there are ways to influence how much TP you gain, or how much certain skills cost. It's shared by the entire party though, so you need to plan what you want to use it for, because it can take some time to build up for the more powerful skills.

There's also crafting and socketing of augments into weapon, helm, body, arm equipment (and there is a limit on how much characters can equip without penalty, so you need to outfit characters in appropriate-weight gear.

Unusually for an RPG Maker game, it also has full mouse support, and for the smoothest gameplay, I recommend using mouse and keyboard - keyboard to select the skill and mouse to target it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Heaven’s Vault any good? Because otherwise... yikes. The good telltale games are the kind of thing where basically anyone interested in them already owns them, so I’m not really sure who this bundle is for.

Heaven's Vault is an interesting game where you try and piece together a history of your region of space by attempting to translate a dead language from scraps of old writing. There's a lot of guessing involved, but as you see words and phrases in different contexts, it becomes clear where earlier translations were in error and you need to take another stab at a word. When you have a word down absolutely solid, that is clear as well.

There's quite a bit of places where the game branches off, which can cut you off from certain bits of information, or there are certain places which have hostile environmental conditions so you can't stay to freely investigate. The sailing from place to place is sometimes interesting or has interesting conversations, but largely it's just pretty. Upon release it was a little tiresome at times because there wasn't any way to auto-sail to a destination, even if there was no other conversation there.

There's also a NG+ where you get to keep your dictionary of words so you can start off getting better context and fill in some things you may have missed, and discover different things because of it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

strategery posted:

I never BEAT mooncrash, but did play it for a dozen hours or so. VB is a much smaller game by comparison (and much more forgiving). Instead of one large open space , the game is a series of small procedural levels (Ships). Your end goal is to collect a series of items that are crafted to form an item to help end the game ( you do this 4 times). But in between ships with those specific items on them, you choose which ships you will board, based on the ship type, items on the ship, enemies on the ship, amount of enemies on the ship, hazards on the ship, and crafting materials on the ship to make other items, such as guns and armor, which the game tells you outright. All of the scavenged items and crafted things are carried between deaths, so you are not losing a ton of progress. Characters also have traits which can be useful like the ability to know if the ships power is off before you get on versus cosmetic like colorblindness.

Void Bastards is smaller than Prey: Mooncrash, and you didn't even finish Mooncrash? Hmmm.... I didn't think Mooncrash was all that large.

The Void Bastards trailer has the narrator from the Stanley Parable in it, but is that only a trailer thing, or do they comment on stuff in the game itself?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... I heard that the Rise of the Triad remake was too faithful to a lot of the not-so-good mechanics the original had, and that's also buggy and unstable. It's only $1.69 which seems cheap enough that I should get that much enjoyment from it... but then again I bought Lichdom: Battlemage because it was only $1, and that wasn't fun either.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's rough around the edges but generally fun except for the boss battles. I'd otherwise even call it a "good", if flawed, game well worth a couple bucks but holy gently caress the bosses are a miserable experience even on normal difficulty. I was only able to beat NME after something like 4 hours of trying when its pathfinding bugged out and it got stuck on one of the shipping crates. For about the third time. The other two times it happened it got unstuck before I could unload enough ammo into it :shepicide:

That's pretty true to the original. That boss was ridiculously difficult.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've reached El Oscuro in Rise of the Triad (2013), playing on Normal. His first form was simple and I didn't die once, but the second phase of the battle is a little annoying because some times I just outright die and I'm not sure from what. (I think it must be hitting the swarm of exploding bugs he shoots out.) It's a bit obnoxious to not be sure what's killing me.

Surprisingly, NME was not the boss I had the most trouble with - it took me only three attempts, thanks to a tip to destroy the crystals at the sides.

I did use cheats in "The Room", simply because I discovered that sometimes attempting to reload a quicksave - at least on that level - crashes the game and loses the quicksave, and I lost patience with the precision jumps over lava and onto jump pads.

Pigbuster posted:

The best thing BPM brings to the "musical action" table is making offbeats just as valid as onbeats. It lets you get so much more freeform, especially compared to something like Crypt of the Necrodancer, where everything happens on the beat and ONLY on the beat. I love CotN, don't get me wrong, but BPM feels more like an actual musical performance, and that's something I've wanted for ages.

Rebind reload to right click, by the way. It should be the default tbh.

So if you miss the beat, you're not completely screwed over in terms of fighting? I could simply not play as Aria in Necrodancer because I could not be 100% perfect on hitting the beat. (If you're unfamiliar, Aria dies in one hit to anything, and you take damage if you miss the beat.)

EDIT: After reading a bunch of negative reviews for BPM which seem to have legitimate gameplay complaints, I'm probably going to hold off for the moment.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 17, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I "finished" ROTT 2013. I use the quotation marks because I was no longer having fun. I gave up and turned on god mode.

The final boss's main attack is essentially flinging you into a bunch of exploding tiny bugs, and the resulting damage instantly kills you. His alternate attack is flinging a cloud of exploding bugs at you, which also instantly kills you if it hits. It's essentially an entirely luck-based fight, and the boss has so much health that eventually your luck will run out first.

It doesn't help that for my first 12-ish attempts I hadn't realized that the bug pods refresh constantly and you can't kill them all - in a contrast to what the original did, where you needed to kill all of them (many in a hidden secret place) to get the good ending.

EDIT: I went back and tried again without cheats, this time focusing on keeping behind cover as much as possible to limit how much he could fling me around, and it only took two additional tries to do it. I saved the Dark Staff until very near the end and that was super-effective.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 19, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Frog Act posted:

So I'm watching some gameplay of the new Serious Sam game, a series I love, and this time around it has perks and enemy health bars. am I being needlessly cynical when I say I don't see how they can accommodate that RPGification to the series or am I forgetting something the old games had? i only played 1/2 but I played the poo poo outta them

The original games had health bars for bosses and minibosses, and the original games also displayed approximate enemy health when you put your crosshair over them.

As for perks, lots of first-person games have those these days. Doom 2016, Wolfenstein: the New Order, Prey.

I wouldn't necessarily say seeing those in SS 4 make the game bad or are a warning sign of a maybe-bad game.

Azran posted:

Is there any recommended play order for the Kiseki series? Apparently it's super long but also super good in terms of world building and writing.

Trails in the Sky is the first series, but it's older and the gameplay is less refined and the graphics are quite dated, but the story and writing are great.

Next come the Crossbell Duology, but those have no official English translations or modern ports, although a fan-patch exists for the first game, and the team behind it is working on a similar patch for the second game.

Then next are the 4 Cold Steel games. The first game is a good introduction to the world as well. You do not need to worry about swapping between Cold Steel 1 and 2 and the Crossbell games. The Crossbell games and Cold Steel 1 and 2 take place at approximately the same time and spoil each other in some ways.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 24, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The trailers I've seen of Yakuza: Like A Dragon make the game seem somewhat like a free-form city roaming sandbox/activity game like something from the Saints Row series. One of the earlier ones. Is that somewhat accurate, or not?

Anno posted:

Store page/preorder is up for Deathloop

I can't remember when I saw the first trailers for the game, but it caught my eye back then, and has instantly landed on my Wish List.

No matter what the game is like, those two trailers are excellent marketing. They're slick, they're stylish, they give you the premise, and they show enough of the gameplay to give you an general idea what they'll be like. The second one is especially clever because it demonstrates Thinking with Time Loops.

Arkane has a good track record of amazing games, so this one I might take a chance on and pre-order - closer to release, that is. I've got time.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 14, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

goferchan posted:

Sort of, but you don't beat up random civilians or steal cars or anything. It's smaller-scale but more detailed -- so you're usually just limited to a few city blocks at a time, but you can go in restaurants and order from their menus for stat boosts, go in an arcade and play classic Sega games or the claw machine or whatever, play darts, play pool, etc. This title in particular is also notably a turn-based RPG -- the other games in the series have kind of a beat-em-up feeling combat system.

edit: If you want to play one of the traditional ones, almost everybody will tell you to start with Yakuza 0, and I'd agree. If the turn-based combat interests you more though, Like A Dragon is a fine starting point too -- it's technically Yakuza 7 but it's also got a new protagonist and storyline and (at least so far) doesn't seem to require knowledge of the other games

I don't have a problem with turn-based combat normally, although it does seem like an odd choice for a sandbox game... but I guess you have a full party with you at most times, and turn-based does make sense for a party-based game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
How slow is the Yakuza 7 intro as compared to, Trails of Cold Steel or Persona 4?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Morter posted:

And Yakuza 7 continues to please

:mmmhmm:

What's Job Experience mean in that game?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

Exactly what it sounds like. Your characters have Final Fantasy 5 style jobs and can switch between them. I think one is even called Freelancer. I swear, if I had the money for that game right now...

I was hoping it wasn't that, that sounds strange and possibly a little tedious.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
BPM: Bullets Per Minute is on sale for $15.26 CDN. The idea of a rhythym-based rogue-like FPS is interesting, but I've also heard that the gameplay is very swingy even for a rogue-like, you only have one weapon at a time, and that the game is one-step above an asset flip, which they try and disguise with some harsh red-orange filters.

What do people think of it, and have there been any patches/upates since the game's launch?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Re: BPM: Bullets Per Minute

Artelier posted:

I really enjoy it and pull it out once in a while still. There's a very real in-the-zone feeling you get as you shoot, dodge, and reload to the beat. Dropping in bullets into the chamber as a hard guitar riff comes in with some really loud drums is an excellent feeling that's hard to replicate elsewhere. It sounds like Necrodancer, but the main difference is basic movement aka WASD is not timed to the beat, you can walk around as much as you want, only those other actions are beat-based.

The guns feel great and there's a decent enough range. Revolvers that need to be reloaded one by one, a minigun that takes a few beats to rev up but tears through everyone, pistols that can shoot at healf beats, different types of reloading that take different amounts of time...there's a lot of variety here, and probably the game's best part. It's fun to get a new gun and see what kind of beat restrictions you're going to get.

I'm reaching the opinion that the roguelike structure sort of hurts the game a bit. There's not enough variety in rooms and environments and especially items to collect. I also feel like the game could ramp up a bit faster, since the main upgrade for me is always the Gun and you Only Carry One.

You'll know in two hours if it's worth it for sure. It's just that you might see most of what you think is interesting in 6 or so.

I decided to pick it up and try it out for a while. It's probably to be expected from a new Rogue-like, but I'm finding it a little difficult. I have beaten the first boss once, then got to the second boss and died. I'm finding restarting to be a little frustrating because you always have the one gun and you usually can't get another gun, so it's the exact same gameplay over and over and that gets repetitive.

What's worse is that I died on the second boss, and haven't since been able to beat the first boss, which means that It'll take me a lot of attempts before I can even GET to the second boss, and probably a lot of tries before I can reliably beat them.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 25, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
User "Flaggy" seems to have a compromised account. It tried the "Hey can you help my team win votes" scam. I reported the account as compromised and blocked/unfriended them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Is Void Bastards worth $14? I've read some of the negative reviews and they say that the game is stingy on ammo, expecting you to be stealthy, but that you can't really be stealthy and have to largely run away. I've also heard that it starts to feel repetitive because of similar layouts in the various ships.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm in the mood for some good point-and click adventures.

I already have all the Space Quest games, the Monkey Island games, the Sam and Max games, The Dig, Chains of Satinav, Memoria, The Book of Unwritten Tales series, Broken Sword 1-3, the first two Deponia games (probably not buying the third), Firewatch, Gone Home, Heaven's Vault, INFRA, J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars, Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements, Maize, Obduction, Primordia, Resonance, Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, and probably a few others.

EDIT: I also have The Sexy Brutale, Full Throttle and Disco Elysium.

Other than those, are there any good point-and-click adventure games on sale which may have slipped under the radar?

Omi no Kami posted:

I've heard good things about the Disgaea games for ages, but the one time I tried the ps2 version of the first game I found it way too slow and tedious to play through- are any of the remastered games worth a look, or am I going to have similiar issues with the original and remaster/sequels?

I've played the PC ports of the first two games, and I think the games are probably just as grindy as the originals. You have a bunch of units to field, and each unit earns experience separately, and each skill they have earns experience separately. There's a system to teach certain skills to other units, and even the base one takes several uses before the new character learns it permanently. The first game's main campaign isn't too bad, but in the bonus/extra campaign, enemy levels start to increase far faster than your units, which means a lot more repeating of maps to grind XP. I got somewhat burned out with that partway through the extra campaign.

I don't have experience with 3, 4, or 5, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 30, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's a lot of recommendations. Thanks to everyone who replied, either before or after.

Cardiovorax posted:

It seems like you don't have the Blackwell series yet. Those are pretty much a nobrainer recommendation for modern retro adventure games.

I don't have those, so thanks to you and rt4 for the recommendation

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You might try out The Sexy Brutale as well. Strangely, it is essentially a point & click adventure that’s repackaged in the wrapper of a different style of game. People seem to like it okay and it’s usually very inexpensive.

I have it, I finished it, I 100%ed it even, and while I wanted to like it, I found it disappointing. It didn't offer enough red herrings or possible-but-wrong solutions to be engaging. Everything at first was too obvious, and it took too long for the game to start making the puzzles challenging. You even had to solve the murders one at a time, instead of finding a way to solve them all at once.

boof posted:

I don't see any games from Amanita Design in your list, so you might enjoy them. They're not especially difficult puzzle-wise but they have a whole tonne of charm to them. Machinarium, Botanicula, Chuchel or the Samorost games are all pretty great in my opinion.

I hadn't heard of those. I'll consider them as well.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Both seasons of The Last Door are excellent cosmic horror point-and-clicks.

I'm playing Paradise Killer right now and it's super good.

I'm not sure about The Last Door, I'm not too big into horror (Gibbous, despite being a Cthulu adventure, appears to be a comedy), and the aesthetic doesn't do much for me either.

Paradise Killer, that's the strangeish game with a somewhat "Dagan Ronpa"-like aesthetic, right? EDIT: No, it doesn't look that much like it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Reminder that I still have a free copy of Grim Fandango Remastered to give away. Stabbey, if you want it, it's yours.

Sure, PM sent.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 30, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's a lot more recommendations than I was expecting, thank you everyone.

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, only the loosest sense. They both have an anime art style and 3D open-world exploration. Danganronpa really doubles down on the anime thing, though, while Paradise Killer is way more weird. You player character is basically Rita Repulsa - "After 3 million days, I am finally free! Time... to solve a murder mystery, yay."

Lady Love Dies is not nearly as silly of a character as the name and design might make you think. Three million days of imprisonment leave you with a lot of time to think.

Last Door is horror in the same sense that Shadow Of The Comet is. You might like it.

Thanks for the Grim Fandango Remastered key. "Way more weird" is definitely notable when the comparison is to "Dagan Ronpa". An open world mystery sounds interesting. Just one mystery, pre-written, or multiple mysteries?

I've never played Shadow of the Comet. I had to google it to find out what it was, in fact.

Dreylad posted:

Also can't recommend Whispers of a Machine and the classic Machinarium that someone else mentioned.

I'll assume you meant "can't recommend enough" or "can recommend" :), so I picked up Whispers of a Machine and Kathy Rain.

EDIT: I also have Simon the Sorcerer 1 from GoG. I should go back to playing it, as I'm not finished.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
If anyone has qline in their list of friends, their account is also compromised. EDIT: Beaten. That's what I get for using find text on this page instead of looking for an image.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I picked up Singularity while it was on sale. I'm amazed at the amount of poor or annoying design decisions. It's clear that the game was rushed out and not as polished as it should have been.

First of all, the game only has an autosave which overwrites itself. No manual saves, no quicksaves, not even a Chapter Select, just a single autosave which overwrites itself frequently. It combines this with railroading which is so overly aggressive, you can feel the train tracks going straight up your butt. Assume that every single door closes and locks behind you forever, because they will. Even if it seemed to just be an ordinary hallway, a door will have appeared behind you. Every single drop off is one way. Apparently they think players are all braindead idiots who will get lost unless the way they came from is blocked off every five seconds. This is combined with lots of supplies and notes/audiologs hidden in side chambers, so the game manages to encourage and DIScourage exploration at the same loving time.

The game features most of the standard FPS array (lovely Worthless Pistol, Shotgun, Overpowered Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Badass Minigun) with some gimmicky ones thrown in. Unfortunately, the game has a two weapon carrying limit, which means that you pretty much have to stick with the standard workhorse weapons if you don't want to get hosed over. You can freely change weapons from among what you've found at Weapons Lockers, but those appear at irregular, unpredictable intervals. After finishing one chapter, I started in the next chapter and had none around and had to travel for a decent amount of time without any other weapons available (not even weapons on the ground), then I found two in quick succession without any fighting in-between those two.

Just after finding that second quick weapons locker, the game provided a grenade launcher (Gimmick: You can roll the balls around with WASD to hit enemies who you can see (and by definition, can see YOU) and insisted that I use it to progress. After doing so, I decided to try sticking with it, thinking that the game meant for me to be carrying that one for a while. NOPE, because the next encounter had a bunch of leaping, explosive barrel-throwing, phasing enemies which the grenade launcher was completely ineffective on.

Ammo picked up is semi-random, which means that you can end up finding a bunch of ammo for guns you're not carrying. I assume it's probably slightly weighted for what you are carrying, but I'm not sure.

There is of course an Upgrade system in the game. I get the impression that was added in very late in development, because it has a very low-effort feel to the whole thing. You can upgrade a weapon's magazine size, its reload speed, and its damage. That's all you can do for every weapon. There's no way to make the gimmicky weapons more useful or lean into their gimmick, or give weapons specific roles or niche uses.

For example, that stupid controllable grenade would be a lot better if it had an upgrade to auto-home-in on targets or at least gave an audio cue to let you use it without standing in plain view. The pistol is garbage, but could be better if you could upgrade it to say, penetrate through multiple targets. The Sniper Rifle comes with a time-slowing meter to let you aim better. You can't upgrade that, because that would be useful.

You can get some upgrades for your suit as well. Some of those are permanent, another one needs to be equipped. I've gone quite a way and I'm still waiting for a second equipment slot. The game implies there should be one, but its taking its sweet time.

Oh, and the developers thought that they'd put in a very finicky puzzle where you need to stop time to get a rapidly-closing door to stop moving in a section where you have a limited oxygen supply. What a great combination.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

Is that literally the entire line in the whole review to even mention the central premise and unique mechanic? Huh.

Good thing I'm familiar with the game from elsewhere.

I'm familiar with the first LP, that's probably why I got it onto my wishlist in the first place. I never finished watching the whole thing at the time because of the slow update schedule, though. I might as well now to see how to get through that section. ... wait, you can shrink and expand those time-stop bubbles? I never knew that. That's probably important and I don't think that the game ever explained that, never mind forced you to use it.

EDIT: Finished the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

lordfrikk posted:

Finally canceled my Humble Choice classic subscription. I knew for some time the only reason I kept pausing it was the FOMO but I at last decided it's just not worth it for me. I prefer buying things that I want to play regardless of price or sale instead of getting a bunch of random titles of which I'm usually only interested in like one.

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. I don't see the point in getting hundreds of games for cheap when I'll only be playing a handful of them. I think I only bought one Humble Bundle ever and then stopped. I still have a giant backlog, having finished roughly half my Steam games, but it's not a tremendous number of games.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I sort-of like the look of Breathedge. Specifically exploring a space wreck.

However, I'm normally not a fan of Survival games where you need to do the same tedious grindy nonsense over and over again, and the negative reviews I read all seem to indicate that it's pretty grindy and the humor doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I won't like the gameplay, but has anyone played it?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, Breathedge definitely is not the sort of thing I enjoy, thanks for confirming that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just started (and finished) "Her Story" today, and it was pretty interesting, and it got me wondering about other similar games. How is Contradiction: Spot the Liar? It's currently on sale at the moment.