Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Dominoes posted:

Hey - I feel like I'm in a minority but... I've really tried to like the Steam controller, but just can't do it. I hate it.

It's due to the right pad:

-The right pad is often hard to use with default settings. Too sensitive, not sensitive enough, imprecise etc.
-Inconsistent between games. Is it imitating a controller stick? A mouse? Better dive into the config for each game you play.
-Looking around in 3d games requires multiple swipes; I think you can config the edge to hold look, but am not sure how
-Config is a mess! You have to use big-picture, even if that's not normally part of your flow. Big picture's a bad UI if you're not using a TV or want to edit things with KB/mouse.
- Config is a complex assortment of settings in a tree of menus, preset configs from other users etc.

If you find this type of stuff fun, maybe it's the right tool. If you just want to play games with a controller, it doesn't seem like the right tool.

On the plus side, being able to use normal AA batteries (which you can recharge), and the huge battery life are great!

I have messed around with it so much.
I don't even know what they were thinking. That pad is not a replacement for a stick no matter how you configure it. And I have played with the configuring a lot.
And the size of it has moved the buttons from your usual placement so you keep clicking on the wrong button than what you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Decided to pull up Steams Playnext page and it is suggesting CS:GO because it is similar to another game Terraria.
Also Destiny 2 because it is similar to No Mans Sky.

Good job Steam.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I'm about 80% of the way through Elex, they have learned nothing.
I mean whats the point of replacing janky with janky.

While Elex isn't a horrible game, the controls are plain poo poo along with the menus.
Also at like level 2 you can run into level 30 creatures on your first mission in the wilderness.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

HopperUK posted:

Have you played Titan Quest? It's on sale for a few bucks at the moment. Should fill a gap for you.

I should really play TQ again, I really like that game.
But for some reason I installed Dungeon Siege 1 instead so I should finish that first.
DS1 is one of my all time favorite games.
A large team and a great mechanic. The more your attack hits, the more you level up.
For ranged characters you get Ranged xp and Dex xp with smaller amounts of Str and Int.
Such a simple system its bizarre more games don't use it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

credburn posted:

Edit: I think I made a huge error when I bought The Division 2 on Epic instead of UPlay. I hate uPlay slightly more than Epic, but it turns out that all this means is that now I have to run uPlay THROUGH Epic and this just keep causing all kinds of problems. At first, trying to run it through Epic would launch uPlay but then it would tell me uPlay was needed to run the game, even though the game itself was launched through uPlay. When I just tried bypassing Epic and running it from uPlay, it said my account didn't exist. For a little while it worked, but suddenly when I try and run it through Epic it gives me this error:

What a strangely worded error message. Why is there a line break? Why is Virus capitalized? There's no virus, and nothing has changed. Why is this suddenly not working? God loving dammit.

Does EGS have a verify files? I know their Launcher is fairly limited.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

fappenmeister posted:

The Dungeon Siege games are a couple of bucks on Fanatical at the moment. I had the first two back in the day, but never got around to finishing them. Picked up 2 after the talk about it last page, and it's a trip down memory lane. Thanks! :)

1 was good, 2 was OK.
We'll just forget they even made a 3.
Youtube has videos on exactly why 3 was such a shitshow.
All political if I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmGhIRqq4VQ

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 23, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Zereth posted:

Does dungeon seige 2 work decently on A: windows 10, and B: at 2560x1440 resolution?

I needed this guys files added to 1 to make it work right for my resolution. The WSGF stuff just plain didn't work for me.
Read through his info for 2 on this page to see if it'll work for you.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1165078098

e: also the addon for 1, Legends of Aranna was somehow disabled or something even though the Steam version still has all the files.
This guys downloadable exe files add it back and doesnt affect any steam recorded time played or anything. And is all quite safe, though scan it as you normally would.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 23, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

First time I took a side cave in Wolcen, which starts its own separate quest to finish it.
At the end of the cave i get into a large battle and i guess I killed the target creature as a UI window pops up and states "You have completed your quest, choose a reward" with a list of 4 rewards.
Problem was that all of the creatures that were not the objective were all still beating the gently caress out of me behind that big rear end reward choosing window.

That is Wolcen in a nutshell, ok game otherwise.
But am guessing the game is just filled with poo poo like that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've been playing Tales from Candlekeep and was considering Gloomhaven which kinda looks like more of the same.
How does it compare? Same game, different looks? Tougher? Better?
I know its in ea still and has no story yet, just random encounters. But will buy if its more of the same.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/663380/Tales_from_Candlekeep_Tomb_of_Annihilation/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm hoping someone will hack this together since there is definitely plenty of interest in a non-vr solution but also I imagine much of the fun relies on the novelty of doing stuff with your hands

already in the works

Basically someone got a hold of an earlier version that had all the tools in it. Its totally doable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFPLieBpiU8

e: though even still it wont work quite right, because it was made for VR. But it could work with m/b.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Between the uplay sale and the "pay 100 uplay tokens to get a 20% off coupon" I just snagged Far Cry 5+New Dawn+all DLC for 33$

I kinda went hog wild on that too.
Got AC:Origins/Odyssey and
FC:New Dawn/Blood Dragon

Thats enough open world goodness to last me months.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 2, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Relin posted:

why does steam not sell wallet funds through amazon like every other retailer (i have amazon credit)

Why not just buy a Steam gift card?

https://www.amazon.com/Steam-Gift-Card-50-pc/dp/B00HJBPZK8

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I'd be really curious how they could get to the account with 2FA on.

I think we all would.
Kinda defeats the purpose of higher security.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Its just like having herpes.

So I hear

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

As much as I liked Rebel Galaxy, I never really got very far and always end up dropping it before leaving the first area.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I was really interested in it also, but Alamoduhs write up seems to be the general consensus.
At least in its bugginess.
Wanderbots has been doing a playthrough of it if you want to see.
Couple of episodes so far.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Slightly more, it came out 9/20/19.

More importantly, Freedom Force just launched on Steam. Man I loved that game back in the day. Here’s to hoping it holds up!

Uuuuhhh, Freedom Force has been on Steam since 2002.

Maybe you are thinking Freedom Fighters?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Artelier posted:

New Fanatical Platinum Bundle which has MGSV: The Phantom Pain and Walking Dead Final Season. It's a pick 3 games out of 17 kind of deal. I also see Mordheim and Ittle Dew 2 in there.

I have Mordheim and just installed it the other day.
The camera angles really keep me from playing it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Speaking of bundles, really enjoying Hunter Call of the Wild from the Humble Sim bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/super-simulation

$10 for base and $15 for an added map.
I've sunk about 20h into it so far and i'm still on the starter map.
Nice slow hunting fun.

Bundle goes out in like 2 hours or so.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Morter posted:

Sorry to double-post but how easy is it to 'casually' play this game?

I like RDR2's basic hunting of being in an area, tracking without being a "super-stealth ARMA prone-crawl-everywhere" and eventually popping a target, for some kind of tangible benefit besides a score attack. I'm looking at some gameplay and it seems decent enough, but do I have to be :spergin: to be good/enjoy this game?

:piss:

I'd call it pretty casual.
You follow tracks or find a feeding/resting zone for specific animals and sit and wait which could easily be 20-40 minutes or more.
Or you can wait for a mating call and use your own call to bring them in while trying your best to hide.

Here are some videos that i've watched for basic knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Flintergaming/videos

By shooting animals you get rifle xp which allows you to buy better rifles/ammo later. And perk points when leveling for better tracking.
I'm probably not the best shot as my hands are kinda shaky from years of caffeine addiction but I am still able to get kills.
You do have to get the animals in vital areas and killing in an area causes tension forcing you to travel while that tension decreases.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 24, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Morter posted:

I might end up getting it because this random clip shows a player 2 kills in under 2 minutes, and indeed getting shotgun points for it.

I love me some shotguns.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I'm not sure how that guy was running and not scaring off everything in a 200yd radius which is what happens when I do it.
Getting multi shots gives you higher points, but you have to have a weapon that fires quickly and hard.
Seriously, they all should have took off with his first shot.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Morter posted:

Last question because I can't seem to find a solid answer:

Can you "run out of money" in this game (theHunter: Call of the Wild), since ammo and apparently even saving have an in-game cost? What is the contingency if you get to that point?

I guess its possible if you are an extremely bad shot, but say $500 will get you 10 bullets.
If you only get 1 kill from those 10 you should get anywhere between $700-$1000 back.
Saving is free, you just log out, sleeping somewhere does cost money but just advances time.
Early on, I would just spend nights traveling to open up new cabins to fast travel, potentially killing something along the way as I kinda have bad night vision.

Oh your starting rifle ammo is free.
Just remembered that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Also, Hunter Call of the Wild lets you commune with nature.

Here is a nice pooh bear thinking of hunney.

So I crept up and shot her in the head.

Living with nature at its finest.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Morter posted:

I'm asking mostly rhetorically, but how is it that you have a 'None' rating, shot through the skull and yet have the skull as a trophy

Actually, i'm not exactly sure how ratings work.
I do know that weight is a factor (that is a kinda small bear).
And for animals like deer, males will get you higher plus even more if they have antlers.

For contrast here is a heavier bear that I shot while it was charging me.
Got a bronze rating alone for the weight I think.

But its truly a casual game for me so I really just wander around shooting things as opposed to people who only go after gold or diamond ratings.

Also ammo used will get you a lower rating. I was getting real low ratings on Moose until I finally unlocked the Polymer bullets.
Because the soft point was considered not strong enough.
poo poo I figure if you used a lesser bullet and still killed it you should get a higher rating.

Also take note of my money in the top right hand corner. As mentioned i'm not a very good shot yet somehow I still have $63k.
So money isn't really an issue.

e: oh yeah, not exactly sure how I could get a skull as a trophy when it should have splintered.
Irrelevant since a trophy room is a paid DLC anyway, which I dont have.
I may buy the tents and blinds though, along with a few new maps, if they go on sale.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 24, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

Isn't there a free tier of bullets in thehunter? Even if there ain't, you'd have to work real hard to go bankrupt.

Yes, the starter rifle comes with as many as you want of soft point bullets.
This may also be true with the starter pistol and shotgun.
But I have actually never used either.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Re: theHunter:CotW talk,

* Keep the trophy intact (no headshots! Shooting animals in the head/spine is a terrible idea IRL, their brains are tiny and you’re more likely to inflict a horrible wound that the animal will take forever to die from in excruciating pain*)

Most tutorials out there are from a year or more and basically boil down to telling you to shoot it in the spine, because 'in game' that was the most efficient way to kill.
Which was, of course, patched out.
They tweaked it so most spine shots simply do less damage.

Now that I have unlocked the .270 polymer bullets I can finally move on to other maps and be able to take out bigger game when I want.
The .270 soft points just weren't doing jack for me on stuff like moose unless i got a perfect heart shot.
And half the time it would just run away wounded because I wasn't getting penetration.
giggity

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 24, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Evoland Legendary Edition: AI0BT-$2AA5-HFBHX

Replace $ with W

This was taken already.

I made a topic on steam forums but got this instead.
It seems the voting theft thing is a widely spread problem.

quote:

This topic is awaiting analysis by our automated content check system. It will be temporarily hidden until we verify that it does not contain harmful content (e.g. links to websites that attempt to steal information).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

bagmonkey posted:

Steam said I might like this game, do you guys think I should try it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1091210/Kissing_Simulator/

JFC Steam recommendations get worse by the day.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I have State of Decay 1 but have never even touched it yet.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Squadrons on the cheapside.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987020/DRONE_The_Game/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Artelier posted:

How is this for single player content? Many of the reviews mention multiplayer only

There doesnt seem to be any at this time as far as I can see.
Its basically Unreal Tournament with a hover drone right now.
Just death match action.
Which is fun and all, I played 1 match.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I like it over all.
There are a few mechanics that I think are dumb.
Its simplified to the point where you just click attack and it chooses to attack whatever.
Sadly sometimes that may be a vase instead of a creature, but if you wanted to attack something else it feels a little awkward.
Most maps in the stories are single file. So you end up attacking vases and bookshelves anyway to try and get some flanking in.
If you dont have a character with a jump ability or whatever.

But I do like it.
I say watch an LP of it just to make sure.
Also it has Q from ST:TNG as the main villain.

It also has the ability to import your own pics to make characters and kind of make your own stories.

I haven't tried that yet though.
But I do like it and am glad I tried it.
Been awhile since I played it though.

e: also it claims it has Steam Workshop, except it doesnt. Any character uploading or downloading is done only from in the game for reasons unknown.
They also can only be viewed from in game, no webpage access.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 7, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Picked up Inquisitor today also and so far its pretty fun running around with my little robo turrets and a beam rifle.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

My only real problem with Inquisitor so far is floaty guy keeps wanting to talk to me while I am shooting very loud weapons.
So I miss half of what he wants to say.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

In Warhammer Inquisitor I'm playing as a Tech Priest.
As with anything WH there is a shitload of reading so I kind of gloss over a bit of it
Is there any reason not to just resummon my bots as opposed to healing them?
I mean sure healing is cheaper but it doesnt heal completely depending on damage taken.

Not sure if they gain any + damage with momentum or time alive or anything.

Otherwise i'm up to 5 bots + 1 Quake 2 Super Tank + a deployable turret.
Quite enjoyable.

e:which is now irrelevant not that I've gained a 2nd Quake 2 tank I lose my bot heal.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 10, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Generally it would be good to let them know through a PM here so they know somethings bad.
If you know their forums name.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Picked this up the other day and have really been enjoying it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465490/Stellar_Tactics/
https://www.stellartactics.com/about/

Its an old school tactics game, think more Fallout than Xcom.
Plus it also has spaceship combat, trading, smuggling.
Classless progression, weapons level as you use them as do stuff like medicine and hacking.
Its been in early access for years but gets updated regularly and it seems their dev posts on the Steam forums quite a bit.
Basically its a very wide open sandbox.

quote:

Build a squad of space mercenaries and explore a vast universe with 160,000+ Star Systems
Direct your squad in turn-based ground battles against mutations and hostile forces
Classless character progression and 240 perks allow for unrestricted customization. Specialize squad members or master all weapons skills
Tons of gear which can be upgraded with Nano-Tech and component parts. Most items can be crafted for your crew and ships, making the equipment system extremely flexible.
40 ships to choose from - Each can be customized with various quality grades of equipment and specialized as cargo, mining, exploration or combat vessels
Disable, board, and capture ships with your away team. Loot and sell them for profit.
Mine asteroids, refine raw ore and trade commodities on the Trade-Net - Set beacons in Star Systems to stream trade data and dominate the universal commodities market
Scan planets to reveal exploration opportunities and resources that can be harvested using mining drones - a great way to earn money and gather resources for crafting
A living dynamic universe - Explore ancient civilizations, colonies, cave systems, and the ruins of hundreds of years of unrelenting warfare
Accept bounties, follow the main story or explore - the choice is yours

I would call the UI/combat a little slow, but over all a big thumbs up from me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Space Engineers on sale for $14 and free for next 3 days.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Microsoft confirms mod support for Microsoft Store games on PC
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-mod-support-for-microsoft-store-games-on-pc/

"As previously reported, Microsoft isn't offering its own mod distribution platform, and instead, it's using a "bring-your-own-mod" approach, so you can download your mods elsewhere and apply them to supported games. The company has also provided a list of games that are available through the Microsoft Store that already support mods, including DiRT Rally 2.0, Farming Simulator 17, FTL: Faster Than Light, Into the Breach, and MudRunner. Microsoft says it's working with its partners to bring mod support for more games over time, and it looks like the free-to-play Phantasy Star Online 2 already supports them as well."

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Todays kids have lost the idea of the Acronym and think things like LOL and WTF are actual words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Going to try the DA:Inquisition/ME:Andromeda bundle, only $16.90.

DA 2 was an abomination and i've heard so much crap about ME 3.
Loved ME1 and 2 though.

Can't be a complete waste of money.

Right?