Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess Obsidian is making some silly Honey I Shrunk the Kids type Co op survival game next instead of another rpg :(
Apparently thats more of a side project with a fairly small team. The studio is working on other stuff that hasn't been revealed yet.

Hopefully something more gets announced soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh well on to rear end Creed 2. Any advice? I won’t be going after any collectathon items, gently caress that lol.
When you first get to Venice, pay very close attention during the first few cutscenes. There is a very important QTE that you don't want to miss.

It has no gameplay consequences but you will feel like a huge jerk if you don't hit it in time.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Cartoon Man posted:

On to Revelations! Any “must know tips” before I begin?
Been awhile since I played it, but I do remember a couple:

You never have to do a single tower defense outside of the tutorial, even if you are going for 100%. It's completely ignorable.

Once you have bombs, you can craft more of the ones you have equipped directly from the radial menu. You only need to go to a crafting station if you want to change the type of bomb you're carrying.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Cartoon Man posted:

Good to know. I’m going to try and plow through the story as quick as possible and skip the majority of the side stuff. But let me know if there’s anything fun that I should do, I don’t care about spoilers.
Definitely do the homestead missions, they're probably the best part of the game.

The naval missions are good too, and there's not very many, so it won't take long to do all of them.

There's a sailor that asks you to collect trinkets that unlock some fun missions, probably the closest equivalent to the underground tomb missions in the Ezio games. Collecting the trinkets might be a bit of a pain though, and it might be worth skipping if you're rushing through.

I don't think any other collectibles are worth bothering with. Definitely ignore the feathers and the documents.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I put in a few hours in Squadrons, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I did the first few story missions and a some multi-player dogfights.

Luckily I haven't run into any issues. I'm using my trusty Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and its working great. I know the game was designed to be playable on controllers, but I really can't imagine not playing with a stick.

My only real issue so far is getting a good control setup, which I'm still messing around with. The default layout feels ok, but I still find myself hitting the wrong buttons mid battle sometimes. It doesn't help that during the tutorials the game will pop up messages like "press joystick button 9 to boost" which just leads to a guessing game. Not really the game's fault there, just something that will take getting used to. Using the hat switch for power management feels really good though, and I may set it up that way next time I play one of the OG Xwing games.

I'm really enjoying the multi-player while everyone's still mostly using default load outs. I'm hoping it keeps the same basic feel when people start messing around with the metagame and figure out optimal setups.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

zedprime posted:

It came out 5 months after ME2 and got it's lunch money completely taken on the fact it played like a bad ME1 clone while ME2's shooter mechanics are something you might have wanted to play on 2010 even if it wasn't a ME story.
The funny thing is that it would have released before Mass Effect 2, but then Sega delayed the game for almost a year (which I don't think they even announced until after the original release date had passed) without allowing Obsidian to do any additional work on it.

The way they handled that game was absolutely baffling. They were also the ones who insisted on the huge firing cones so that the game would feel more RPG-like. Obsidian didn't want to do that.

Still one of my favorite games of all time, though!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Cook, Serve, Delicious 3 is leaving early access tomorrow, and I'll throw out a recommendation for it. I loved the first game but kind of bounced off the second, which I know is a pretty common opinion. I've already put almost 30 hours into 3 and I feel like it's definitely the best game in the franchise.

Setting the game in a food truck instead of a restaurant helps the flow significantly. Preparing between stops works much better as a breather than the time between rush hours in the other games. The auto-serve function is a great addition too. At first it does makes things feel a little easy, but later on it becomes clear that it needs to be used strategically to prevent being overwhelmed.

It goes all-in on the post-war American apocalypse that was only hinted at in the other two games, which makes for a fun setting.

Catchy soundtrack too. The title theme in particular was stuck in my head for awhile when I started playing the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LjnEzLaqM

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
In regards to Game Pass: sign up for Microsoft rewards and look up the Rewards Automator app.

You just have to remember to push one button a day and it will do a bunch of Bing searches automatically that will get you enough points for Game Pass.

I'm sure its not something that will work forever, but I've been using Game Pass for over a year and haven't paid anything beyond the initial $1.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Triarii posted:

Goddamn Cyberpunk is bad. I'm in a lengthy combat sequence where I have to fight my way out of a place. The combat is not good. Enemies are very bullet-spongey, and don't do anything more interesting than crouch behind a box, pop up to shoot, and occasionally throw a grenade. You can't save while in combat, and this entire sequence is considered to be in combat. So I'm grinding my way through these boring meatshield enemies. I collect a bunch of loot, change my gear around a bit through the cumbersome menus, level up and spend my character points, interact with some computer terminals, read a few lore files sitting around, and do a little sidequest for a character and go through a conversation with them. Probably 20-30 minutes all told. Then, when I'm presumably getting close to the end, my character up and dies.

https://i.imgur.com/ROU7oGb.mp4

I still can't tell what killed me. (Or, well, "killed" me since I seem to still have 1 health.) But I'm dead, and it turns out there weren't any automatic checkpoints during that whole sequence because I'm right back at the start of it and all that laborious progress is gone.

Also, it's weirdly difficult to see and pick up loot. It puts icons above lootable things, but they're inconsistent and flickery, and in order to get them to show up more than 5 feet away you have to turn on your dumb detective vision that slows you to a walk. And it can be really hard to get the button prompt to pick things up to appear sometimes, like I have to keep rubbing up against the thing and moving around to different angles to try to find where it wants me to stand to interact with it. Sometimes I can't get the prompt to come up at all and I just have to walk away and leave it.
I'm kind of struggling to get into the game myself. I just did that exact fight and the whole thing just felt weirdly disconnected. I didn't know if I was supposed to be killing the enemies or just running by them. They all seemed like bullet sponges who weren't reacting to anything I did. I got to the part in your video and realized I had no choice but to kill those two robots, but all of the guns and grenades I had barely did any damage to them. I kind of just ran around the arena aimlessly and then they died on their own. Maybe an ally was shooting them, I couldn't really tell.

The loot is really, really bad. I've only played for a few hours, and I dread every fight because it means I'm going to have more bodies to dig through with ten more guns and pants with slightly different stats to compare. I keep picking up crafting components too and I'm not even sure if that's a system I'm able to interact with yet. I could probably just try and ignore the inventory system, but it definitely feels like it's meant to be a big part of the game. I feel underpowered in every fight I've been in so far so I feel like I need to constantly be looking for better gear.

I like the atmosphere, and the little story I've seen so far has been intriguing, but every time I have to interact with the game beyond that it feels really bad. It feels like I'm missing something or that I'm playing the game incorrectly, as if there was a tutorial section I somehow skipped. Everything just feels really janky for a game that had this much time and money poured into it.

I've already come to regret preordering it. I didn't think it was much of a risk since I bought all of The Witcher games at launch and loved them. Maybe I just need to put it on the backburner for a bit and try it again after it's been updated a few times. I doubt they'll fix the loot system with patches, but maybe if I restart the game with a better idea of what I'm getting into I'll have a better time easing into it.

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 12, 2020

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

lordfrikk posted:

What games did it recently? I can't think of any.
Pillars of Eternity 2 did it as well, and they did a good job putting in quite a few references to your choices from the first game.

They even made a very comprehensive in-game history generator if you wanted to generate a character to import without actually playing through the full first game that let you go through almost every choice that carried over into the second game.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Palpek posted:

I bought Overboard! on a whim and it's a very cool little game.
Thanks for the review, I'm definitely picking that up! I loved 80 Days.

How long does an individual run take?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Palpek posted:

Just so that it's clear - it's not a giant game, I didn't have much time for it yesterday but I'm sure you can be done with it within an evening.
These days I consider a short game a selling point.

Thanks again!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Hashy posted:

How bad are the ninja gaiden ports really
It doesn't sound good!

Highlights from that article:
- The only available resolutions are 1280x720, 1920x1080 and 3840x2160. The only way to switch between them is by using the Steam launch options menu.
- Zero keyboard/mouse support
- This fun note from the developers:

quote:

Playing in Fullscreen Mode

This game can be played in Fullscreen mode.

To do so, launch the game, and then click the maximize icon in the upper-right of the title bar. To return to Windowed mode, press the Esc key while in Fullscreen mode.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This was probably posted before but I just noticed that brutally hard Minesweeper puzzler Tametsi is on sale for 98 loving cents. You probably have that much lying around in your Steam inventory from unsold trading cards. loving buy it, it's one of the best logic puzzlers around.
On a similar note, I would highly recommend Globesweeler: Hex Puzzler. It basically is just more Hexcells, but it introduces some unique new rules and has some really well designed puzzles.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I decided to pick up Chorus (CHORVS) thanks to this thread. I had never even heard of it before it was released, but it looked like the type of game that was right up my alley and after seeing some positive impressions I jumped on it.

I've put 5 hours in so far, and have been really enjoying it. The basic gameplay is pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, but thankfully it's really smooth and satisfying. It's a really chill experience to just fly around through some (very densely packed) space, pick up sidequests, and blast pirates and cultists out of the sky.

The game has a pretty small scope, but it does what it sets out to do very well.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Dorfromatik came out of early access today. I've had it on my wishlist for a bit and decided to buy it and give it a try. If you want a chill little building game with some puzzle elements, I would recommend it! It feels like a single-player Carcassonne where the goal is to build as large of a landscape as you can by matching random hexagonal tiles together and forming them into a pretty landscape.

You have a limited number of tiles on each map, but by meeting quests that periodically pop-up (such as building a city with a certain number of houses or completely closing off a farm) you'll add more to your stack. There's also longer term goals to work for that unlock special tiles.

You'll probably tell if it's the kind of game you'll like by just looking at the screenshots on the store page. It's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, and I have a feeling it's the type of game that I'll keep coming back to and playing in short bursts.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Jordan7hm posted:

Fanatical is doing a bundle fest thing again and today’s bundle has Cook Serve Delicious 3, My Time at Portia, Blasphemous, Morbid the Seven Acolytes and Riot Civil Unrest for 6$ Canadian. Also Severed Steel for another couple bucks.

Fanatical bundles are really good.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-22
Cook Serve Delicious 3 is a fantastic game, and I think a lot of people slept on it after 2 ended up being something of a let down. I'd really recommend giving it a chance if you haven't.

It's got a fantastic soundtrack too. This song, especially, still pops into my head at random times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LjnEzLaqM

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Serephina posted:

For HoMMV, do I just get the standalone "tribes of the east", will that come with the original campaigns? They apparently predate modular DLC.

exquisite tea posted:

I know there is a very cool and very legal way to get all the expansions for HoMMV while only owning one, but I forget how to do it now. Either way it's like $7.50 for all of them rn.
I was in the mood to play HOMM for the first time in quite a few years, and was figuring this out myself a week or so ago. You are correct, you only need to get Tribes of the East to play all of the campaigns.

Easiest way is to just follow this Steam guide. All you have to do is download the linked files, drop them into the mods folder in the install directory of the game, and they'll be fully integrated. I'm about a third of the way through the original campaigns using this and haven't had any issues so far.

I also read up on Heroes 5.5 which is a pretty expansive fan made mod that adds a lot to the game and seems to be pretty highly regarded. That allows you to play all of the campaigns as well, but I decided to just go with the vanilla experience instead of the mod.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

err posted:

I saw a few reviews referencing Disco Elysium, does that just mean good characters?
The main point of comparison is that they're RPGs that are primarily played through dialogue and that don't have any kind of combat system.

They are different experiences, though. The head developer Josh Sawyer (SA's own Rope Kid) downplayed the similarity between the two after it was announced. Pentiment doesn't really have a heavy stat system or RNG like Disco Elysium, although you do still get to make choices about your character's history and personality that affect the options you have available in some cases.

I've only played a couple hours, but so far the writing is really good, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. The art style is amazing as well, and the way the game plays with fonts is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
No, white people are definitely the majority but a few hours in there have been a couple people of color among the characters.