Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Leal posted:

Just port every console game so I can finally stop bothering with consoles all together.

This. Would love to free up some space in the theater room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Orv posted:

The backwards compatibility isn't even officially confirmed in any capacity, so. It's just a semi-educated reasonable guess.

Just download an emulator and play your super old (legal*) games in way better graphics than an “emulator” on the PS5 is likely to ever give you? Even from people who don’t have “gaming PCs” in this day and age you should at least be able to do better emulation of PS3 games than the original could do on its own with all the added features modern day emulators provide.

Just pop the disc in and you’re good. Burn an ISO beforehand if you want for even faster data access rates.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Especially for the PS3, which as I understand it, is really pretty different from most everything at a hardware level.

Nothing I’ve ever seen emulators ever circumvent eventually. I’m sure those games folks have let sit for two console generations so far are nearly at the top of the backlog now and can’t wait a bit longer? Right?

No reason to *not* get a PS5, mind you; I’m planning on it. But no reason to put so much weight behind either with other likely alternatives.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

It defaults half as a discount and half to charity. You can go into the sliders and change it to get the 20% discount.

Monster

Hey they’re making bank off that charity tax deduction.

Corporate whore.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Estel posted:

Yeah, Steam changed the game updates 2-3 years ago. If you have not played a game in the last 3 days it will schedule the update instead of downloading.

With the actual disk sizes lots of people have huge amounts of games installed that they are not going to play now but maybe in the future (something that never happens while the games backlog continues to grow) and Steam decided to change how it manages the updates to prevent probably lots of money being used on updates for games that are never going to be played.

Well if this is their strategy (outside of Covid entirely) it’s not working. If I’ve got games in my “to be updated” list it just makes me click them myself to update - even if I might not play them in “years”

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So I bought Control last night on GMG and I’m still awaiting the key to appear. I put in a support ticket and got a response this morning saying to “hold on - they were getting slammed with support questions and they’d get back to me”

I’ve gotten other stuff from them in the past without issue. Anyone ever hear of something like this happen? Did they just run out of keys or something?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

As someone who is nonbinary if nothing else, understanding gender identity is a confusing, long-winded, temporally fraught journey, and I think it's perfectly cool to say "yeah of course they're trans". If you're not in any way trans, it's trickier and potentially Rowling-grade stupid but somehow without the overt transphobia? Boy that's a comparison with a lot of layers.

Anyway, it's good. Madeline is trans because Madeline is trans, and if that was in flux when development of the game started, that adds a fascinating meta-layer to the whole thing.

I’m in no way trans. Reading some of the past few pages does have me a bit confused tho - how are you supposed to know a computer game character is “trans” unless they make it really stupidly obvious in some way? And if that’s the way they do it, that sounds, less than respectful? I’m honestly asking.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

You can basically ask the same question about a myriad of other character traits. How are you supposed to know whether or not a character is adopted without making it really stupidly obvious?

Then I guess I feel like it kinda boils down to that. Why should it be such a big deal being represented in gaming any more than being adopted is? It’s either a checklist that every developer has to go down (which I fear will end up feeling “token” for inclusion in general) or it’s just something that is included naturally which will obviously differ from game dev to game dev. It just seems like a whole lot of gatekeeping otherwise to me...

Maybe I’m missing the point entirely. When I play a game the sexual orientation or presentation of a character is one of the furthest things from my mind. I just take it all at face value. I, as a male heterosexual don’t have any issues with playing as a female character from time to time either so... <shrug> I engage more with the mechanics than the “role play” I suppose.

Conversely I do feel tho that disrespectful representations should be called out for what they are though.

Majin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 3, 2021

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I genuinely mean this with no malice, but this is an extremely white straight dude perspective (full disclosure, I am a white straight dude too). It's very easy for a white straight dude to say something like "why does it really matter what traits a character has?" when your traits are the ones that the vast majority of video game characters have by default. You don't have excited moments of "hey, that character is like me!" because that's been true for your entire life and isn't special. But for a woman, or a person of color, or an LGBTQ person, having that sort of moment is special because of how relatively rare it is, and it's something that shouldn't be brushed off as minor.

Point taken - and I agree with that assessment. It still seems to be a bit harder to make that obvious from a trans perspective, if given the previous posters correlation to the adopted comparison holds true, how would you know if it’s not made bluntly/stupidly (and potentially insultingly) obvious?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah that seems like a pretty solid observation. I’d be interested in learning what that nuance would be. I think that understanding being learned by a broader audience could perhaps help in the long run.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Tacoma was good. I don't think it was nearly as impactful as Gone Home, but as a complete product it was definitely an improvement in structure and storytelling.

Tacoma was good - but I’m a sucker for isolated mystery or horror locations, especially sci-fi based.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

beats for junkies posted:

Random recommendation: have you played Event[0]? You're alone on a space station trying to figure out what happened, and you have to talk to the station's AI (through computer terminals) and convince it to help you. It's a fun little experience.

I have in fact! I try to get as many of these as I can in my collection, so definitely appreciate the rec!

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

secretly best girl posted:

No. There are definitely not 7000 good games on Steam. Maybe 5k at most. I'm being real loose there with "good".

This post won’t age well…

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

It makes sense to me! Undertale is an indie game that literally everyone has heard of (I think), and here's something "better" rated but no one's heard of it.

This *is* their marketing campaign isn’t it?

Reading that Twitter thread I’ve never seen a person that presumably has no relation to the developers stump for it so hard.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

overwrought gushing is kind of his thing

Ah, thought it was just the “PR” part of his bio but fair enough. Might be a fine game who knows, but a dozen or more posts of “this game should be a massive hit, why isn’t it? Ya know? Ya KnOw?!??!” kinda sets off some red flags.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Xander77 posted:

I've got 9000 hours in Team Fortress 2, and about 2000 of them are actual playtime. Still wouldn't recommend TF2 to anyone.

How on earth does someone rack up that many hours of unplayed time in a game? Is there some kind of benefit to idling that and wasting all that electricity and wear and tear on a PC?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

repiv posted:

What's funny is that the VAs background is in corporate/commercial voiceovers, not acting, but he did an amazing job anyway

https://www.voicepool.co.uk/demos/mp3/kevan.brighting_corporatereel2021_041121.mp3

I think this is pretty much exactly why he pulled it off so spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i feel like the "for masochists" take really falls apart considering that not only was the first one so popular that it created an entire copycat genre that's been going strong for over a decade, but elden ring has been a more massive success than any from software game before it. that's a whole lot of masochists!

That would explain a whole lot of people’s voting choices, honestly.