Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bit of a PC Gaming question: Does an NVMe SSD make an appreciable difference in loading stutter compared to a SATA one? Specifically wondering if that would brute force past some of the issues in badly optimized games, like I'm experiencing right now in Fallen Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

exquisite tea posted:

As far as I'm aware load stutters are more of a memory management issue than anything related to the hard drive, especially if you're already using an SSD. You would see a general improvement in load times but it wouldn't solve frame hitching whenever new assets are called into or dumped out of memory. For games that have this problem I limit frames to 60fps with RTSS and/or use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner to better manage system memory. It's been helpful for a number of games I've played this year -- AC Origins/Odyssey, Division 2, A Plague Tale, etc.

Thanks, also to the other answers. I'll save my money and just try harder to ignore the stutters :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Been loading up The Division 1 just to run around the streets, listen to the snow crunch under my feet and shoot some fools. I really love the atmosphere in that game, and all I want is for IO to license the engine and remake Freedom Fighters in it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Red Dead is the perfect game if you just want to mosey around.

But god and your controller help you if you want to get anything done.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I really hope Asobo gets to make another game of their own once they're done with Flight Simulator, I really loved Plague Tale - for itself but also because it clearly was a passion project of a team that otherwise does mostly mercenary work.

Another dev that can go back to doing passion work is Criterion, which apparently got handed back responsiblity for Need For Speed.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Gamestar gave Wolcen a 69 because of tons of bugs and the new acts generally seeming very unfinished, then got contacted by the developer and told that this was a miscommunication with the german PR agency and what they've gotten was not the release build. Seems...iffy.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Someone tell me what I'm missing in figuring out the second bell puzzle in Ori 2. Not the solution, I can find that anywhere, but how to get there. I think I must be crazy, half the sites I found talk about how you're supposed to play the solution from the first puzzle backwards as per the tablet, and then write down 9 notes that are not at all the 7 notes from the first puzzle backwards. WTF?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Hwurmp posted:

When you first open up that area and deliver the plot item to Tokk he says "Oh, it's written backwards." That's your hint. :saddowns:

Yeah, but there's no way to actually look at the tablet, or is there? Do I just need to wait for an NPC to tell me what's written on it? That poo poo is always killing me, if walkthroughs only give you the solution, not the reasoning/path. It itches in my brain :cry:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Triarii posted:

When you got into that area the first time, did you just play notes at random until it opened? Because it tells you what notes to play - it's the heights of the stone obelisk things in the background of the scene. To open the second door, you play them right to left instead of left to right.

Lol, I just realized were my confusion came from. I did the first one just fine by myself: Left, Middle, Right, Right, Left, Middle, Left, but then thought that I had to get new notes from the tablet (somehow) and do those backwards. Finally I looked up the solution and found this on RPS: Left, Right, Left, Middle, Left, Right, Right, Middle, Left. Which is two notes more, so it couldn't just be the first one backwards, right? Of course now I realize it's exactly that just with two ultimately inconsequential notes added at the start.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I remember Origins' ambient occlusion being very performance hungry.

There's also been some complaints about the latest nvidia drivers being bad.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Snowrunner came out on Epic, if you liked Mudrunner it seems like a no-brainer. I spend an hour with it and in general terms it's more Mudrunner just bigger, prettier, more polished feeling. The big change for me is that there's more game in there, with contracts and goals and maps that feel more hand-designed. And the damage model is now location-based, so (as I learned the hard way) even 50 points of damage can be bad if it's all the 50 points your front left wheel had.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Hard at work over at the Epic Games Store.

Snowrunner is great.

Edit: The snow btw is in Alaska, which is one of 3 regions with 4 maps each. I'm still in the first map of the first region (Michigan) after half a dozen hours because there's actually poo poo to do unlike in previous games in the series.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 30, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Turning the Cyclops into a roaming base was great fun, don't miss out on it just because of the very small chance it might ge destroyed.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like this take is so galaxy-brain bad it can earn mockery here, too. They say Steam once.

https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1264021531929108481

Tiiim Sweeney
Mao in disguise

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Antigravitas posted:

I've never felt as :smith: in a game as I have in The Talos Principle when I figured out what was going on. The game world just feels so desolate and the audio logs instil a sense of crushing despair.

And it's a game from the Serious Sam people, which is doubly weird.

I love a lot of artsy walking sims, but I vibed with the puzzle game from the Serious Sam people harder than most.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Stokes posted:

The keyboard controls are a little off-standard, and I don't like how alt moves the camera around, but Desperados III sure is pretty neat.

Agreed, I had to spend 5 minutes to get the shortcuts where I want them.

Game is fantastic, if you liked Shadow Tactics - or the genre in general - this is a no brainer. Lots of good quality of life improvements, level design is ace, and you actually get to use your guns.

Now, if they could turn this replay mode into a full-on in-engine one though...

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Desperados 3. Who needs stealth?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

El_Elegante posted:

Is pausing/slow motion a cornerstone of those games?

You can probably do everything without the pause system, but that would mean setting up more interesting multi-character solutions becomes a pain in the rear end and you're going to fall back to repeating simple rote solutions that kinda always work (at least on the normal difficulty with the relatively slow reaction and detection times).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did they fix the Commandos 2 Remaster? I could never get the original version to run on Windows 10, I tried across several versions and it would either not load at all or crash after 2 minutes. I was very excited for the Remaster but from all I could gather on release it was pretty broken.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ehhh

It's playable but still has a ton of problems and it still censors the Nazi iconography and Japanese flags. The best way to play Commandos is probably the GOG version with the Destination Paris mod, which ports over the levels from Commandos 1 and its expansion as well as Commandos 3 (modifying them to be less poo poo).

Unfortunately the mod is geared towards veterans of the games so even the Commandos 2 levels are a little harder than the vanilla game due to a few balance tweaks, enemy position changes and item changes.

Thanks. The flags I don't care about tbh, but if it still has other issues I'll skip it.

However, looking for the original on GOG and not finding it made me realize that Commandos 2 had swastikas and the only reason I have it on Steam is because Steam sells the german version. GOG doesn't. I wonder if the technical issues I have are related to that, wouldn't be the first game where the german version didn't get all the updates the international versions got (still mad about Sleeping Dogs).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

El_Elegante posted:

It’s surprising that an outfit as sophisticated as Rockstar is licensing music in a way that requires them to go back and rip it out.

GTA4 is from 2008, games - especially ones mainly targeted at the console market - being sold perpetually (beyond x million pressed copies) or again as remasters/remakes wasn't really a thing so much I think. I imagine music contracts look different these days.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help me thread. I need a category name for my steam library for all these card games, but the catch is it can't start with C. I want all of my categories to start under my Current one.

Rename Current to _Current.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I really enjoyed Observer, so I bought Layers Of Fear during the sale. Didn't really do it for me. There were a few neat visuals, but the gothic horror story left me uninterested while the jumpscares left me numb (or annoyed).

And this just made me laugh (has audio):
https://i.imgur.com/D634pak.mp4

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Steam is three things: A way to manage your digital games collection, a storefront, and a social space to connect. The first is what people actually care about, launching games, sorting games, playing games, etc. It could be better, but it's still the best at this of all the alternatives (I haven't tried GOG galaxy though).

I you care about the library features mostly (as I do) then Playnite is way better than Steam. Aside from the fact that it can pull from all existing clients its database is basically entirely yours to change as you see fit. Can't talk about GOG Galaxy but I suspect it's not as open. I also like that my library isn't connected to a specific store any more. Plus, it's open source, so someone will keep it going. Worst case I have to do it myself :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I was totally ready to just ignore Death Stranding, but I'm looking at my 100+ hours in American Truck Simulator and Snowrunner and I'm starting to wonder...

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

resting bort face posted:

I never played ME past the first one, and I think I made the right decision.

They're good games Bort.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Antigravitas posted:

I do not remember a single name or character from D:OS.

Somewhere, a cheese vendor sheds a single tear.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Serephina posted:

Hasn't everything about Elex been totally panned?

It's garbage and people comparing it to Gothic 1/2 are crazy. Gothic 1/2 had small handcrafted worlds, where everything was designed around a pretty specific progression path, including the routes and sightlines the player would take around the map. It was easy to see where you could go, should go, and where not. In many ways they were more action adventure than open world RPG as we understand it today. Since Gothic 3 they've been chasing that Bethesda dragon and since Gothic 3 they've sucked. It's a big map with poo poo thrown everywhere.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Haha, sorry for the tone, I consider the decline of PB a personal tragedy :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Black Griffon posted:

You either love Elex or you hate it

I'll take hate for Elex, Alex.

Black Griffon posted:

but it is a game that has a lot of genuine love and that can't be dismissed.

True. I'm not accusing them of being lazy or cynical. I just wish they would make something smaller again.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Qmass posted:

save me

Edit: gently caress, not true at all.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Freedom Fighters has been re-released digitally (on GOG already, but supposedly coming to Steam as well)

:dance:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

aaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaargh my back

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jerusalem posted:

I see they're doing a special on Dead Space - I never played 3 because I think it was Origin exclusive(?) originally and also designed as a co-op game for some bizarre reason. Is it possible to play single-player and if so is the game any good? I enjoyed 1 and 2 well enough.

Loved 1, liked 2, hated 3.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Finished Mafia 1 Definitive Edition and enjoyed it just as much as I enjoyed the original back in the day. But then again I'm a sucker for these types of stories, no matter how cliche, so take my endorsement with a grain of salt. The open world just being backdrop didn't bother me back then and it doesn't bother me now. In fact, these days it's genuinely refreshing. All in all I'd call it a very successful remake, improving gameplay and graphics but keeping the spirit. Including the goddamn race (five tries, not too bad tbh).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
People should not sleep on Paradise Killer. What a cool and unique game. I found my truth and executed justice. A lot.

P.S. Spend your blood crystals. Especially on the footbaths, find those as quickly as possible.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Outer Worlds is serviceable. A perfectly mediocre "one of these". Meh Vegas, if you will.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think a big improvement for Shenmue would be if, as soon as you start it for the first time, a bunch of dudes in black vans showed up on your door and confiscated all of your gaming equipment because obviously you can't be trusted to use it responsibly.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Since the screenshot thread is dead and an expansion for Umurangi Generation recently came out and it's a very good game if you like taking pictures (and thinking about how hosed the world is) here are some pictures.

Edit:
Epansion starts out strong.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bioware more like Biowere.