Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

queeb posted:

delayed until my birthday :3:

Mine too!

And John Ritters. RIP Ritter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wasn't sure if foil cards even still existed. I haven't seen one in years.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Auto oiling was one of the most popular mods of W3, because literally no one gave a poo poo about the stupid oiling system. People that do are a rounding error.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like full potency oils applied to the shaft of my blade. No homeo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hwurmp posted:

all games are actually terrible

Play anything from Amanita. Their stuff never fails to put a smile on my face and give the good feels.

Even a little trifle of a game like Pilgrims was great. One of my favorites of last year, and a playthrough is like 40 minutes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's wrong with Void Destroyer 2's art? It's clean, easy to read and most of all it's not grey like most space sims are.

It looks like something out of an edutainment title.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Much thanks!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FuzzySlippers posted:

I got around to trying Frostpunk from one of the humble monthlies and I enjoyed it way more than I expected. I don't normally like RTS or management games, but it hit a nice sweet spot of responding to challenges, fiddling with base management, and an interesting story/scenario (the last bit at the end was incredibly dramatic). If someone got a key through humble and has been passing over it I really recommend giving it a shot.

Is there anything else like this? I haven't played that many management games because I get bored with fairly austere blah Tycoon games or games that emphasis optimization like Factorio but I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Frostpunk.

It does help that it had an interesting setup. Like I know people heap praise on Prison Architect, but I can't imagine getting into a game about prisons (as an American it feels more ghoulish than most settings) and most of the scifi games are fairly generic scifi.

Try Anno 1404 or Anno 1800. Great city builders, with a decent enough story in the campaign modes. Anno 1800 is the new hotness, but I'd almost say there is too much there to start out with. It can get overwhelming even for Anno veterans. Anno 1404 hits the perfect spot of interesting gameplay while still being chill. Most charming game ever made, as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Origins better than Odyssey? I've seen this argument a lot, and I would prefer to get Origins, as it's cheaper, but I love me some Greek history, so if Odyssey is better in every way, I might go with that.

Odyssey is the better game overall, but I found the Egyptian setting in Origins more interesting to explore. Both excellent games though, you really can't go wrong with either.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lpzie posted:

waiting for that coronavirus steam sale.

For every $1 you spend on Steam, you get 100 RoniBucks. Save up your RoniBucks and trade em' in for stickers, backgrounds, discounts on games, and partial co-pay at the health provider of your choice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Det_no posted:

They sell prescription VR lenses, guys.

Maybe his "eye issues" are that he doesn't have any. Ever think of that, smart guy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lemming posted:

Everyone in my family has a Quest...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DrNutt posted:

I liked it okay, it absolutely has the best puzzles/tombs out of the three reboots. It also has the best weapons/combat systems but then inexplicably makes the decision to have you do like 90% less combat than the previous two games.

Less combat? Sounds like the best one then.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

John Murdoch posted:

Breakpoint is a Soulslike???

It's a shitslike. Easily one of the worst "trippel-ayyyyyyy" games released in a long time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

John Murdoch posted:

g...gottem...?

It's so bad it doesn't deserve a higher-quality burn.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The one thing that really irked me with Far Cry New Dawn, if you hadn't played Far Cry 5, you would get to a point in New Dawn where you'd just go "Oh this Joseph Seed is a nice guy, he's just a misunderstood guy." They barely recall any of the monstrous poo poo he did in 5, and turn him into this sad sack loser whose son has done him wrong. I couldn't pull the trigger any faster when they give you the option to kill/spare him at the end, but if you only ever played New Dawn, it would be easy to spare him since he's given so much unchallenged latitude to paint himself as the victim.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Watch Dogs 2 had fun gameplay, but I absolutely could not stand the characters in it. Exactly the type of vapid tech-bro, "disruptive" neo-punk dipshits you'd expect to be living in San Francisco, except it's the future, so their insufferable dipshittery has evolved to the next level.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Protip: You don't need to play any AC game to make later ones make sense.

Proest Tip: You don't need to play any game ever to make later ones in the same series makes sense.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm a Fallout 76 apologist. It's not the greatest game ever but it did not deserve the flak that it got. The gameplay loop is more or less the same as Fallout 4...

:ssh: Fallout 4 sucks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Joe Man posted:

Literally the only reason I finished it is if a potentially later entry in the series isn't repetitive garbage and wouldn't miss out on any context. I like to play things in order too.

This is one of the worst reasons I've ever read for completing a bad game.

"This game is trash, but I better finish it because of the minor chance I'll play another trash entry in the series, and I don't want to be mildly confused."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Look Sir Droids posted:

Really doubt he’s embarrassed by his possibly unmatched iconic video game voice over character.

Is it unmatched because no one else has done such a lovely job?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
People with more than 3 or 4 tabs open at a time are the modern equivalent of boomers clipping out newspaper articles because "I might want to read that later".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Witcher 3 combat is not even remotely like Batman combat, unless your comparison is that they both require you to press buttons to perform attacks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Stan Taylor posted:

I appreciate the novelty of Maneater but I have that thing where I’m terrified of the ocean in general and water levels in video games. I bought sub auto a for some stupid reason at some point and cannot play more than ten minutes of it.

But Maneater lets you be the thing in the ocean that terrifies you. Total dominant power game. It's especially great how you start out small, and slowly get bigger and deadlier as you go along. Hello Mr Croc, you scared me when I was but a wee pup, now I'm back to tear you apart limb from limb! Which legit happens. Crocs lose their limbs as you attack them, other sharks lose their tails and fins, you really get to gently caress up the animals in Maneater.

The worst I can say about the game is its very repetitive, but they've honed and refined the gameplay so much that you don't really care. It's just so much fun to go around as a smooth rear end chompy boi.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lord Lambeth posted:

I found out that evolution rpg game has been on epic for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8NO6hAB4z8

I'll get it on steam eventually, it looks cool.

Along with what Cardiovorax already said, don't think this is a monkey to man simulator either.

It's monkey to slightly smarter monkey.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tarezax posted:

:confused: Why did you repeat yourself???

I saw this coming as I wrote the original post, but dammit, it was worth it.

:downsrim:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The thing missing from a lot of modern space/flight and hell, even driving games, is story.

FS2 is non stop story from beginning to end. Great cutscenes, great mission briefings, and when you're in mission it's an endless stream of mission-unique chatter over comms. It makes the game world seem alive.

So many games now give you a basic text-only description if the mission, nothing but random AI barks during the mission, and save story and cutscenes for later. It's all so barren and lifeless. Hell, even that recent Maneater shark game knew that you had to add a human touch by having Chris Parnell pipe up often as he narrates the game.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 1, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Awesome! posted:

its a gaming device for ants

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cinara posted:

If you read through them, a lot of the reviews are due to it being online only and having extremely bad server issues since launch. But even then the game just doesn't look great and some of the more in depth reviews cover the lack of content available right now. It seems very dumbed down even by Torchlight standards, there's not a lot of character customization or depth to any of the systems and that seems intended.

This all true, but the Early Access info panel spells all this out about what's included and not included, and the current online only game mode. Of course people just mashed the buy button, and then act surprised when they get exactly what was advertised as currently in the game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was hoping the cutting and breaking would be a bit more freeform, like Tiny & Big. Looks slightly more constrained that that.

Otherwise looks quite fun.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Harspace Shipbreaker seems like tons of fun. Lots of OCD poo poo if you want to perform surgery on a space ship.

The worst I can say about it right now is the controls a bit hosed, lots of mouse acceleration and occasionally your character will just spaz out, which might cause you to destroy some salvage. Resolution is little wonky now as well, as anything about 1920x1080 isn't technically supported yet, and the UI will go nutso above that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreatGreen posted:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is 85% off, from $40 down to $6. It's got a Steam review of 95% from 12,000+ people.

Is there something I'm missing or is this just a really good discount?

Amazing game, well worth full price. A steal at the discount price. Probably a nice discount to celebrate the devs release of Desperados 3 (which is amazing too).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So just like every american game/movie/book about WWII then?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Planet Zoo or EDF 5? I'm debating between the two as my last big steam sale thing... the former looks awesome but I bounced off Planet Coaster pretty hard, mainly on account of how finnicky setting up the rails and roads was. EDF is EDF, but I played 4 recently and I've been told that 5 is basically just 4 with more missions and some QoL stuff?

Planet Zoo definitely adds more to the management side of things, you actually have to care for animals rather than just build them an enclosure and that's it.

BUT, if you didn't like the finickiness of Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo is more of the same. A million different parts to build your dream zoo, but yeah, it can be overwhelming and a pain in the rear end. I'd say it's almost more overwhelming than Coaster, because at least with coaster there were premade rides you could plop down. Zoo doesn't have any premade enclosures at all (other than basic small animal habitats), so EVERYTHING has to be built from scratch.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Omi no Kami posted:

How finicky are the fences/footpaths/passenger routing? That was my main gripe with planet coaster- I'd see exactly what I wanted to do, but then it'd take like 3-5 minutes of clicking and deleting in order to get the frigging roads to connect to the frigging rides, and even then I'd semi-regularly mis-configure things and not realize they weren't operational.

Placing stuff is pretty much the exact same.

If I was you, I'd go the "Steam demo" route and play it for an hour and then do a refund if you don't like it. The one thing it does better than Coaster is it has very extensive tutorials, so you can get in quick, get introduced to the mechanics, and you can get a good opinion if it's something you can deal with.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh there's a demo? Frigging awesome, thanks! I didn't even notice- now I know what I'm doing with the next few hours. :)

Uhhh, a paid "demo".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I could not possibly disagree more. Heat Signature was so ridiculously fun to me. There are so many incredibly powerful and broken tools. And so many ways to do cool things with them.

Some people love mechanics, some people love story.

I felt the same way about Heat Signature. Great mechanics as you say, but without a decent story to propel you forward, it all felt pointless.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Soul Glo posted:

Control is great.

Rad story, extremely cool levels (including one of the coolest sequences in any game in recent memory) and fun powers.

Play it on easy if you have to, but it's good as hell.

This is sort of the problem I feel, with all of Remedys games. Great ideas, settings, and story, all saddled with endless boring combat.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cardiovorax posted:

Parkitect is supposed to be really excellent, although I haven't had the chance to buy and try it yet. It's a Theme Park/Rollercoaster Tycoon style game. Planet Zoo is purportedly a real disaster where you can't get new animals because the online market is an extortionate racket and even what few rare animals you can buy are almost guaranteed to be stunted, sterile runts so that you can't take the sellers' income from them. I would really read up on that carefully if you intend to buy it, the whole sounds like a horrible trainwreck from start to finish.

Omi no Kami posted:

...oh my god, you're telling me they made a Tiger King tycoon game? That's the most amazing loving thing I've ever heard. (Not really, and I'm definitely looking into that and avoiding if true, but wow that's great synchronicity with real life.)

The issue with the animal market in Planet Zoo is only in the Franchise mode, where you elect to compete against other players.

It doesn't effect Career, Sandbox, or Challenge modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cardiovorax posted:

It's kind of exciting to live in an era where having "AI cores" as part of consumer-grade computer hardware is a thing that is starting to become reality.

It's also mostly bullshit, and tech companies love to call anything "AI" these days.