Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

The xbox one controller is good but it's pretty pricey once you add it all up.
controller + play and charge kit + usb wifi dongle

the advantage is that it just works and you can reuse the dongle and the play and charge kit when it dies. the disadvantage is that after you buy all that it's like $100. You need the play and charge kit because it wont work with regular rechargeable batteries. you cannot use the usb charging cable to play, you must use wifi over the dongle.

I bought a PDP controller because it was 1/3rd the price but it died after 6 months and was less comfortable and it was considerably louder. it did have way more RGB's all over it however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

repiv posted:

:confused:

(a) Rechargeable AAs work fine, at least quality ones do. I use eneloops in mine.
(b) The wireless adapter isn't required anymore since newer XB1 pads have Bluetooth
(c) XB1 pads always supported wired connections over USB

I have some which dont work they are energizer brand. I found some articles that said that they lose charge differently than non-rechargeable ones and the play and charge kit has a controller in it to resolve that.

my motherboard didn't have Bluetooth so I bought the dongle.

I didn't think that you could get it to work over USB. I thought i read that somewhere.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

D1E posted:

Is a GTX 1080 still a decent video card? Is $200 a fair price for one?

Genuinely asking for thread input:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911375

I'll revise based on feedback. Thanks!

yes it's still good. that price seems low.

edit- i thought you were looking to buy. nvm.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know what this is? All I know is that I want to punt the main character into a loving furnace because everything about him is abominable. The hat, the style and worst of all the loving poo poo rear end pixelated dreamworks smirk rear end expression. Disgusting. I'm angry now. I hate this game. Is it any good?

edit: this motherfucker calls himself a rational centrist and pretends to be a pragmatic liberal but in his dark heart he's just some MRA weirdo
edit2: best dressed failure in the comics shop motherfucker
edit3: showed up to class photo dressed like this dipshit
edit4: "why the snyder cut should be shown in all classrooms" (4 hours 45 minutes)

I thought he was a lego man.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

A Plague Tale: Innocence is now on Gamepass. :yeah:

I highly recommend this game. it is short enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome and it's got a great finale.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

Put it on easy and you can run around blasting. The game makes you move very fast but puts you in very tight corridors for most of it so it doesn't play well on most difficulty settings. It is absolutely worth playing to see the mocap scenes they made. The story is totally wild and the actors give it 100%, I loved every second of that stuff.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Lonely Mountains: Downhill (https://store.steampowered.com/app/711540/Lonely_Mountains_Downhill/ ): Visual style is freaking rad as hell, looks fun, but I can't tell if it's a Trials-style high skill ceiling jobbie, or a 2-3 hour casual game that's fun once, then never touched again.

It's somewhat difficult. I really like the style and the relaxing nature of rolling down a hill in the forest but i didnt want to put in the effort to beat the time trials and unlock more levels, which was not relaxing.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Vampyr: Now this is good. It's an adventure game, basically a point and click mixed with Witcher vision, ahem, vampire vision, and you talk to people and solve things and it's all very awful and vampire-y. Oh and there's combat but it sucks. I mean it's filler. But the atmosphere and writing has been intriguing and I want to see more of this sad doctor as he tries to heal people while seeing everyone around him as a snack.

It was very good but just needed a little to push it into excellent territory. The voice work and atmosphere really stand out.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Dragon Age Inquisition has bland gameplay. If you're a CRPG nut maybe it's better on higher difficulties. If you're thinking it's going to be more of an ARPG then you're going to dislike it.

There are lots of fun characters to meet and you can get sucked into the lore. Visually, the maps really look good but it's mostly just in service of a collectathon. you'll be pinging the ground alot looking for collectible stuff.

It has some good humour in it. The story goes on for ages and it's enjoyable to go along with it. Getting to know the characters and exploring the wilderness is the best part of the game but fighting the same group of monsters from the fade is grating.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

pentyne posted:

All this Divinity OS1/2 chat really makes me want to play but I bounced so hard off D:OS1 that I kept going back to try and play it for several weeks and constantly getting wrecked in combat and could not remotely figure out what to do or find anything on the map.

I just started dos1 after bouncing off it hard the first time. Somehow it's fully voiced now which is cool.

the game gave me a shovel early on. in this first town someone has buried landmines. They blew up an hour of unsaved progress. That was great.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

My brain decided that today is Tropico day, and the first game is sadly too old-school for me. What's the best one in the series for a beginner? 3? 4?

Tropico 6 is the best version of tropico. I think I skipped a few in the middle.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

DuckTales remastered is on sale for $3.75. If you have nostalgia for the NES game, it’s well worth it at that price.

I picked it up. the cartoons all look great. voiced scrooge is great. The tutorial and cutscenes all make sense if this game was modern, but also, i hate them. they should have sped them up.

the level differences are ok. it doesnt really matter. most of the level is identical.

I like it, but it's wrong. i'm just old and this isnt my duck tales.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'll say this every time it comes up: somewhere along the line they weren't content with just remaking the game and decided they wanted to turn it into an interactive new episode of the old cartoon series which, yes, bogs the pacing down horribly. You can skip just about all the cutscenes via pause -> skip, but even the number of times you have to hit the 'skip' button in a single level borders on comical.

The much bigger issue with the game is that several months out from launch it suddenly developed a habit of freezing on the final boss for a lot of people, seemingly something to do with an nVidia driver update which was never fixed so if you have an nVidia card I hope it's old enough that you can dig up drivers from 2013 and roll back to them.

The real cherry on this particular "what the gently caress even are computers" sundae is that this issue that I absolutely could not get around in Windows was mysteriously resolved by running it through Wine on a Linux install on the same desktop. :confuoot:

i didnt get a crash when i beat it just now.

.. the credits are unskippable lol. it's been like 5 minutes.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

While I agree with everything you said. It's a great game but how could you NOT mention the amazing soundtrack!
https://youtu.be/ql8K3KJyWgY

yeah no kidding.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Buy disco, even if you don't like crpgs or visual novels. It might look like one of those but it isn't.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I picked up Return of the Obra Dinn the other day and just finished it. It was good and I can see why some people would even say it's excellent.

I like this type of game but I think the graphics and some of the mechanics of the UI got in the way of it. Visually the style is ok but I think the low fidelity got in the way. I found it kind of hard to tell people apart. I did not notice some events because of the lack of fidelity which was irritating when I did find them (specifically some bones just behind some stairs ) while other times it was a nice surprise to find people. I found myself stuck wandering past something a few too many times.

The mechanics of how the watch works and why the door appears and why you sometimes have to follow a clue were not very clear for the first little while. I would see someone and attempt to edit their entry but i could only edit the name and not the full details until the scene played out, but it wasn't clear when the scene was going to finish. This was more confusing than it had to be.

The story it presents and how you go about exploring it is great fun. I especially like the sounds and music. I just would have liked it a lot more if it was in colour and if the book would just let me do what I wanted. If you like The invisible hours or tacoma then i think you'll like this.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

drat horror queefs posted:

Finally got Disco Elysium in the most recent sale.

Frankly, it absolutely lives up to the hype thus far. I haven't laughed this hard at a game's writing probably ever?

Gonna go hard on inland empire, electrochemistry, and shivers, for maximum idiocy :mrapig:

for you or anyone else who decides to pick it up:
1 - dont min max
2 - take your time. there is no penalty for taking too long to complete the game.
3 - dont save scum, failing a skill check is not a bad thing so just go with the rolls.
4 - you cannot get yourself stuck in a state where you cannot continue the investigation. just keep trying.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

While this is largely good advice, I did find later on that there are some rolls where failing is just a dead end that means that you don't get to progress that particular plot thread right now and need to come back and roll the dice again later after you've put another level into the appropriate skill. I didn't find those checks to be as satisfying as the ones where failing meant the thread just resolved in an unanticipated way (ie the karaoke check) and I have no shame in admitting that I savescummed a few of them to save time, because I knew I wasn't planning to leave those threads alone.

There are items and thoughts which unlock skill checks. And putting a point into something unlocks a failed white check, so if you savescum then youbypass both of those mechanics.

I'd still say just roll with it on your first playthru . Make loads of manual saves so you can see everything on round 2.

It will be more satisfying to get the experience the game is trying to deliver.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

explosivo posted:

Hows Mankind Divided for $5 ? I liked Human Rev a lot but remember the newer one getting a lukewarm reception.

I just played thru it again because my PC is much better than the first time. It's well worth $5. it holds up well. The levels are pretty good. the tools they give you are fun to use. The stealth challenge is pretty good overall. There is alot of great artwork in this game from posters to level architecture. Make sure you explore it rather than sprinting thru the main story. It's a good game and I just started the prison DLC, which is also worth the $3 i paid for it so far.

The game got a lot of flak for setting up threads and then ending without resolving them. It setup those threads for a sequel, but i think players didnt really expect that. Look up a graphics tweak guide, the game looks good but even on a good machine it will run like crap. It rightly deserved the flak it got for breach mode and for having paid DLC to speed up the playthru. If you get special weapons with the edition of the game you bought remember that it idiotically gives you those weapons ONCE; not once per new game like a normal game, only once ever.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Trickyblackjack posted:

I'm at the beginning of Vampyr (just arrived at the hospital) and I can already tell the combat gameplay is not going to be great, but I'm really enjoying everything else that it's going for. It definitely knows how to nail an atmosphere.

also it's one of the few games where you can eat your co-workers.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I'm thinking about getting:

Ace Combat 7

also get the 3 DLC missions if nothing else.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just beat the story campaign of Carrier Command Gaea Mission!

holy crap. this was on my wishlist so long i finally removed it last week. it was only on there because it was 3D vision certified but then 3D vision died. (RIP)

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Goons, tell me whether I should buy Stellaris for :10bux:. I like Civ, but am very bad at the battle part.

Yes, try it. I dislike turn based 4x and like stellaris. It's a politics rpg mostly, with nice SciFi quests and stuff.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Well, I tried a few 4x games before and it turned out the thingthat never clicked with me was the "turn based"part of it. Once stellaris removed that I liked it quite alot. Also the Pew pew ship combat, space parrots, and interesting quest lines helped.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Are the Styx games worth checking out? I was looking at the first one on GOG ($1.99 at the moment), but the reviews for it on GOG and Steam make it sound like it's really rough, and one review said it had a game-breaking glitch. I don't know much about it, other than that it's a stealth game where you play as goblin.

I got $2 worth of fun out of Shards of darkness.i guess.

It's got solid graphics and animations but the levels don't feel right, they feel too open. There isn't anything interesting going on in any level you just need to go from a to b.

It could be better.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

pentyne posted:

Steam Games in 2020 for me.
Witcher 3
Prey 2016
Doom 2016
What Remains of Edith Finch
The Legend of Korra
Marlow Briggs
Resident Evil 6
Life Is Strange
Life is Strange Before the Storm
Dear Ester: Landmark Edition
Ryse Son of Rome
South Park The Fractured But Whole
Remember Me
Jazzpunk
The Technomancer
fault:Milestone one & two
Belladonna
Jedi Fallen Order:
Outer Wilds:
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
An Octave Higher
Metro 2033
Firewatch
Guijan 3
Yakuza Kiwami
The Turing Test
Transistor
Tacoma
Fallout 4
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Toren
Leviathan Last Day of the Decade:
Oxenfree
The Outer Worlds:
Shardlight
Kentucky Route 0

Did you just get out of prison?

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Disillusionist posted:

Speaking of which, can someone sell me on New Vegas? I actually already own it on Steam but I've barely logged a couple hours. Meanwhile I had over 100 on Fallout 3.

Something about the setting of NV didn't appeal to me back when it came out. What is it everyone enjoys so much about New Vegas compared to 3? I know I'm in the minority here.

I too didn't get into it and passed it over as if it was just an overhyped fallout dlc.

It's not. It's the pinnacle of the fallout experience.

It's the game that pays off on the idea that your entering a new world with new societies. They have wierd customs based on half truths from before the war.

The quests are Written with wit and a dark sense of humour. They don't usually let anything be as simple as it looks. The way the game keeps track of your choices and branches the story to your decisions is nice.

If you give it a try and aren't sure if it's for you then play until you get to Novac and do the quest to investigate the ghouls at the facility. You will know if the game is for you at the end of that quest.

Also, The voice cast is stellar, look it up.

I played it 10 years after it came out and still found it gripping enough to overlook its flaws.

You may want to look up mods depending on your tolerance for old game jank.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

I have a week and a half left on my month of EA Play, but I just decided to finish the remainder with Squadron. I originally wanted to play Fallen Order, but I ended up playing way more of C&C Remastered and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst then I thought I would. So I'd rather take the shorter campaign and fly some space ships.

Also, don't play Sea of Solitude. It's a short indie game where the writer uses a rare technique called "tell, don't show". It's terrible.

:same:

C&C is such a nostalgia trip. I cant get enough. I hope they are working on tiberian sun.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Pierson posted:

I've found myself bouncing off Doom Eternal due it being an entirely new evolution from Doom 2016 when I guess all I really wanted was just More Doom 2016.

I had the same feeling at first. Put it on easy and keep going. Once you get the hang of it then increase the difficulty again. The game is worth seeing on easy at least.

Once it clicks you'll realize that they were absolutely right to do what they did. Doom eternal enhances the whole combat loop.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Anybody using ModMic here with their regular headphones? I've been thinking about it for years but I'm about to finally buy it because the work-provided headset is terrible.

yes. It's excellent. I have a wired one. the magnet gets taped to the headphones and the boom mic is on a magnet so it's easy to unclip it to move it up and down. also the arm can be bent to position it correctly. the wired one has many little clips to clip the mic and headphone wires together.

here is a comparison of the recording quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faCeLIoAlRM

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Time to call wishlist bankrupcy

(Augmented Steam)

this will just cause wishlist amnesia and i will end up adding those items to the new list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I'll buy you one of these days L.A. Noire.