Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

How do you distinguish between, say, EE and I?

There’s a longer pause between letters, about as long as a dash. EE is be “dot-pause-dot” and I is “dot-dot”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Bit of a PC Gaming question: Does an NVMe SSD make an appreciable difference in loading stutter compared to a SATA one? Specifically wondering if that would brute force past some of the issues in badly optimized games, like I'm experiencing right now in Fallen Order.

It’s unlikely - Fallen Order seems to do that it pretty much any configuration. I ended up just ignoring it after a while, but folks have all sorts of suggestions like updating drivers, switching to full screen from borderless, forcing on vsync in NVCP, etc.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm in the mood for some mindless, grindy shooting fun. Warframe or Destiny 2?

If you do end up trying Warframe, make sure you head over to the Warframe thread and join the goon clan. We'll give you a bunch of free stuff that'll help with getting your foot in the door, and can give recommendations for which of the ten zillion options you should be doing next. There's still plenty of grind to level up the free mods they'll give you and to get the resources to build new weapons, so don't feel like you're being cheated out of mindless grind. It's grind all the way down!

E: Speaking of alternatives, are there any good action-mmos like Vindictus, Tera, or Black Desert that don't get totally lost in FtP black hole? Preferable ones with solo or coop endgame instead of Black Deserts "fun" gankfest.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 6, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The important aspect of Warframe that makes it possible to play entirely for free is that you can trade with other players using their real-money currency (platinum). Most of the grinding will produce at least semi-valuable tradable items, so if you keep up with your daily trade limit you can buy platinum-only items on a regular basis.

The Steam-only user-created cosmetics are the only premium items that can’t be purchased with platinum.

VVV Yeah, those too VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 7, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

"Tried to go straight-laced" is probably a better description. It was the 90s.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

You can play both of those games on your PC right now via PlayStation Now.

I would never wish PSNow Bloodborne on anyone. It’s a decent introduction/demo but it has too much input lag to play seriously. Just buy a used ps4 for $80 instead - it’s worth it.

Also, no Old Hunters...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 16, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Most hype game of 2020 is now something I've already played for 300 hours on PS4.

This but also Death Stranding.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Wasn't the whole point of allowing raytracing on non-RTX cards because the 10xx series is basically just as powerful otherwise? So in one way it proves the RTX has something to offer, and in another way it kinda depreciates the 10xx stuff because now you can't max things out anymore (because the max settings involve raytracing now) and people get upgrade fever?

“Just as powerful” is just a statement about performance at a given price point. If Turing didn’t have RT or tensor cores, the cards would cost less and we would have seen a more typical generational performance/price gain.

The theory I’ve seen is that Turing was originally developed for 10nm, so NVidia was banking on a reduced due cost to help give them a price-point performance increase. The 10nm process didn’t pan out, but when the bitcoin boom proved that gamers would pay more for cards they decided they could run with 12nm.

On buying used: I wouldn’t worry too much about mined AMD cards either if you’re buying on eBay or from other sites with similar buyer protections. You have 45 days to initiate a return, and any sort of undisclosed issue is good enough to initiate a return, regardless of the seller’s claimed policy (so long as the item is marked “pre-owned” instead of “for parts”).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Well what I mean is the new cards that were released weren't showing much of a performance bump over a 1080 or whatever, in terms of what a 1080 could already do, so people weren't compelled to spend all that cash on 5% more FPS or whatever, which ain't good for sales

The real extra performance and capability was kinda gated behind RTX features, which didn't exist to 10xx owners - but by allowing raytracing on those cards, which ran badly, it basically showed everyone what they were missing and how they weren't seeing their games at their full potential. Like unlocking an Ultra setting for everyone that they can't actually use. You can turn it on and get a taste, but now high performance is out of reach, unless you upgrade... :homebrew:

In terms of absolute power, the 2080 Ti is ~66% performance boost over the 1080, but you’d need to be cranking up settings on a 1440p monitor and pair it with a fast cpu or be running at 4K to actually take advantage of the (ridiculously expensive) performance boost. And then you’ll still have the same problem that you’re talking about with the 2060/2070/2080 - RTX reduces performance enough that you’d really need a lower-resolution monitor if you want to maintain settings and higher frame rates.

I agree with your main point though - Pascal cards are totally sufficient for games that are on the market now, and outside of niche folks moving up to the 2080 Ti there wasn’t (and isn’t) much incentive to upgrade if you already have a Pascal card. That goes double for the 1080 and 1080 Ti because the only real upgrade is the 2080 Ti.

Hopefully Ampere (or whatever ends up as the next consumer line) will ditch the tensor cores and shake things up a bit.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 18, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xander77 posted:

As long as we're having this conversation - someone in the computer building thread recommended I upgrade my GTX 960 to 1660 Super / TI as a reasonably priced improvement. Local graphic card experts - opinions?

In the US, that’s generally great advice for the $200-300 range, and would pretty much double your performance. Don’t pay much more for a Ti than a super, though - they’re very close. New 2060s just dropped in price, too, so it might be worth comparing the price of the cheapest 2060 models. On the lower end, non-suffix 1660s have occasionally been selling for fire sale prices, and they’d still be a big upgrade. Worth considering if they’re sufficiently cheaper than the super.

Whichever you go with, I’d stick to dual or triple-fan models. Single-fan models are hotter and louder and often have reduced performance, so they’re usually not worth it unless you need one to fit a tiny case or they’re really cheap.

E: Here’s some comprehensive gaming benchmarks (ultra/very high settings) for the 1660, 1660 super, and 1660 Ti. Also, the 2060, 5700, and 2060 super.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 18, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

How many actually good Wild West games are there? All I can think of are that Call of Juarez game and Hard West.

Do Steamworld Dig 1/2 and Steamworld Heist count? Maybe Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath?

There's also Gun which was pretty drat cool when it came out, but it was one of the first post-GTA3 open-world games so I doubt it holds up.

E: Knew I was missing something: Gunman Clive and 12 Is Better Than 6!

EE: Steam's "Western" tag has some interesting looking indies.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 7, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ahobday posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of a game that's hack-and-slash-ish, and that has ridiculous over the top attacks that are bright and colourful and full of lasers or explosions or similar. I just bought Van Helsing, for example, because a Diablo-like would be good (As opposed to a Devil May Cry-like), but it's not over the top enough and the game systems (Level-up stats, skills, etc.) are a bit too involved for me to want to put the time in to get it to "Holy poo poo this is awesome". I've generally played all of the well-known hack-and-slash games, so I'm looking for recommendations of less well known games. I tend to avoid games like Dynasty Warriors because the combat feels very light.

Hades is more action and less RPG, but it's fantastic action and it's pretty over-the-top and flashy. It has a rogue-light progression system and the weapons you unlock feel meaty and very different. If you've played Bastion, Hades is the natural progression of Bastion's combat system cranked to 11.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

I'm holding out until it drops to something reasonable, like maybe $230

CA's MO is to regularly put their base games on sale for $10-15 after they've been out for a while, and the DLC usually goes down to 50-60% off. If you're not buying immediately at launch and wait for sales, each game comes out to ~$50-60 for the complete package. TA:W I has already been there for years, TA:W II is $20 right now, and all it's DLC except the one that released in December has been at least 50$ off.

Maybe $60 seems expensive for a three-year old AAA title + several of content-rich expansions, but it ain't Trainz.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 10, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

He goes on about a competitor smearing him, whose that meant to be? I thought most of the people he abused either worked for him or had now left the industry.

Surely Failbetter - the CEO stood with the employees who came forward with their stories.

E: I’ve never actually uninstalled Steam - just reinstalling it over the existing files has always seemed to be enough

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mordja posted:

You know, videogames really need to do better with the whole "woe is me, I've lost my humanity by gaining these sick magic powers and edgy body-mods" and just loving go all out. I'm talking real body-horror and/or mental dissolution stuff.

I would 100% buy a Prophet Revival game no matter how terrible it was.

E: Well, poo poo

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 12, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

On the subject of backlogs and good games, I've never heard a bad word about Okami and it seems like a great deal for $10.

It's also one of this month's Humble games, so there should be plenty of cheap keys around or check to see if you want two of the other games for +$5 (or 8 for +$10).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Things I want = just business. Things you want = politics :derp:

E: Any tried ScourgeBringer? It looks very much my jam, but some of the Steam reviews have said that the controls aren’t as tight as they’d need to be?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 13, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is the Gloomhaven PC game any good? It's on sale at Humble.

It’s good so far, but it’s still early access and the campaign isn’t in the game yet - randomized “adventure mode” only.

You’re restricted to two characters until you beat the first boss, which will require a lot of wandering around and leveling up because holy poo poo did they pack that room with baddies.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

On one hand, the shape shifting was a gross opportunity to linger on some TnA. On the other, devious trickster spider god is much more interesting than “inherently evil unthinking spider monster.”

^^^ That sounds hilarious :v: ^^^

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Shelob (and by extension, her mother Ungolianth) are both described as smart and really just assholes because they want to be, this isn't something the game came up with. The shape-shifting might be new, but "primordial spider-goddess of darkness from before time" is literally what Ungolianth is.

That’s what Ungolianth was (plus she chose her spider form), but I don’t remember any indication that Shelob inherited much of that from my admittedly hazy memory. Time to bone back up!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is this on steam? I want to help Gandalf clown on the fellowship

Looks like PS2/Xbox/gamecube with a TRPG version for the GBA?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

Someone swiped Okami already, oh well.

Sent you a PM.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Why the gently caress does an EA version of a card-based wargame need a third-party account?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/931950/Labyrinth_The_War_on_Terror/

:eyepop: Hopefully Labyrinth will lead to ports of the COIN games! I’ve been wanting to try these out for ages, but it’s difficult to justify GMT prices when my friends don’t want to play something that heavy.

E: It says right there that the “third-party account” is for Playdek’s online multiplayer.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 13, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

COINs have bots, don't they?

They do, but I’d rather let my computer run them :P (and presumably it’d be much, much cheaper)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Too late, I've got Gandhi and FitL in the mail (

FitL is the one I P500ed a few years ago - very good choice!

VVV Oh man, tempting VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 13, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dream Quest is very much worth it just to see where Slay the Spire came from. The experience isn’t quite as tight, but it has a lot if depth and breadth, plus some key differences that make it interesting in its own right.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Two Juice boxes per hour.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently morels are mostly mycorrhizal, which is kind of the opposite of decay! :eng101:

(Death caps are mycorrhizal too, though, so land of contrasts all around)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Homeworld: Cataclysm (now "Homeworld: Emergence") is also fantastic if you want the atmosphere of zombies moreso than the standard tropes!

Not on PC directly, but if you have a PS3/4 The Last of Us is the current gold-standard for narrative, heartstrings-tugging, stealth action zombies. If you have decent broadband it works alright on PC through Playstation Now, but used PS4s are cheap enough it's worth buying one if you're interested (plus BLOODBORNE, which is absolute poo poo on PS Now).

Telltale's Walking Dead series (formerly Telltale's?) is pretty decent narrative, too.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rough demos are great for drumming up interest (and wishlists/follows) for a game that still pretty far from release, but that same rough demo is probably a detriment when a game is close to release since it's probably buggy and no longer reflects the final product. I suspect at least some of the limited-release demos are from devs who want to get that early attention, but don't want to have to continue updating a rough demo alongside regular development.

E: I'm appreciating the free demos all in one place, though I haven't had time to try many yet. Carrion is rough but :eyepop:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 19, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Logan 5 posted:

Only tangentially related to DOOM: is there a good thing to use still for idling your games for card drops? I haven't payed any attention to cards really since they were worth some decent amount of nickels and dimes, beyond just selling a booster pack when I get it and occasionally making a badge (listen I needed that Katamari's King of All Cosmos background alright)

Augmented Steam is telling me I got enough drops to offset like half the cost of the new DOOM though. How do I most efficiently get these Steam bux pennies?

Idle Master Extended will do this for you by telling Steam you're playing various games until it gives you drops.

:siren:TURN YOURSELF INVISIBLE IN YOUR FRIENDS LIST WHEN YOU USE IT.:siren: During certain periods it quickly cycles through the idled games, making the drops happen faster but also spamming your friends with "XXX has joined game YYY" messages.

Listing all the cards is still a pain in the rear end. I changed Augmented Steam's "Quick Sale Modifier" to $0.00 so I could list them at the current lowest price with one click in Chrome (Settings -> Community -> Inventory). Your account will still be flagged for listing a bunch of cards at once and you'll have to confirm each one in the app :/ Still worth it in the end, though I'm sitting on ~200 cards that didn't sell that I need to get around to relisting.

E: I see people already discussed the notifications :v:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Samuringa posted:

I also forgot Artifact existed.

Honestly, I'd buy filing that under "coasting" :effort:

E: Somehow I missed Knights and Bikes when it came out last year. Is it as fantastic as it looks? My partner isn't a gamer but now that we're at home for two weeks I'm thinking it might look like something she'd enjoy!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 25, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

It's fun, and absolutely made for co-op.

Good enough for me, thanks!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m interested in Abandon Ship and I think the Fanatical bundle is the cheapest has ever been. What are some good games in that bundle? I’m not into racing and have Life is Strange already, so I’m looking at Lords of the Fallen, Omerta, and the new Outcast. Any suggestions?

Edit: Styx, maybe?

The Pillars of the Earth is a fantastic point-and-click interactive interpretation of a fantastic book, of that’s up your alley!

Omertà is old and clunky and regularly very cheap (in fact, the gold edition is $3.40 on GMG right now).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 27, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah ESO is decent, but it's very much an "Elder Scrolls Lite" game. You'll like it if you like ES games enough that you wouldn't mind one that feels smaller (on a location-to-location basis) and less open-ended and interactive.

E: On the plus side, installing mods is less likely to burn you out before you actually fire up the game!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 1, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's some serious Demon Rush vibe.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sleve McDichael posted:

If anyone has a Molek-Syntez key they don't need, PM me and I'll trade you something for it :)

e: also, what's the deal with the extra 20% discount on EGS? How do I get that?

Sent you a PM.

Do you mean the 20% discount on the Humble Store? That's a bonus for being an active (non-paused) subscriber, though it depends on whether the publisher honors the discount or not. Most do, but some don't (Uplay, Nintendo, etc.).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orcane posted:

Even a 1 TB drive in a PS4 (eg.) fills up super fast and I'm not even playing the worst stuff I know of on console (like CoD, Destiny, Hitman 2 - I do have AssCreed Odyssey installed though) because of how some large games don't do delta patching, so they require tons of free space just for updates (even if the end result is only an increase of <5 GB). We'll see how the new hardware compression helps, but yeah I feel like the launch storage sizes will quickly become inadequate if things progress as they did over the past ~5 years.

Yeah, since they’re requiring games to be installed on the NVMe because it’s being used as a sort of giant texture cache, it feels like they’re going to need to find a way to allow games to be installed on a slower drive and then cached through a portion of the NVMe. Manually swapping entire games around when you want to play them is already going to be a huge pain in the rear end.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orcane posted:

While that is true, gamers should probably have learned by now that just because there's a marker on a world map they don't really have to go there and put a check mark on it.

Uh, I've been training this Skinner box for 30 years. Why would I break it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Speaking of No Man's Sky, does anybody have recommendations for fun space game? I'm mostly looking for a single player, exploration-focused or otherwise chill game, rather than something that's primarily constant combat. I'd been eyeballing NMS because internet people say its good now, but from comments above it seems like the main problem I had with it originally still exists, ie its lightyears wide but inches deep. Elite: Dangerous could be cool but its always online and I really don't want to deal with other goofballs ganking my dumb rear end the whole time. X4 looks janky as poo poo and even positive reviews generally seem to start with "OK, once you've put in a few dozen hours learning the systems it can be fun sometimes!" I'm not sure what else is out there that might fit the bill, if anything.

It's older than airport screening, but have you tried Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos? If not it'd probably be right up your alley.