Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Nvidia just added a max frame-rate cap feature in their new driver (seems like something they should have added years ago?).

What's the accepted wisdom for reducing tearing in games these days? I have a 60Hz screen so should I be limiting the FPS to 59 & turning vsync on in the nvidia settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Re-playing Portal 2 again for the first time since it came out in 2011, and it still holds up really really well. For sure one of the best games of the last decade.
It's been long enough that I've forgotten how to solve the puzzles so it feels kinda new again.

It actually feels quite refreshing to play, coming off the back of so many enormous open-world AAA games and endless rogue-likes in the past few years. It feels laser-focused and wastes very little time.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Weird problem:

For some reason since yesterday every time I launch Steam it kills the signal to my monitor (dislpayport) completely. The second screen (HDMI) is fine. Any ideas how to fix this??

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Are you AMD video card drivers? I recently updated drivers and have had a shitload of issues. Especially with anything related to an overlay on top of a game (e.g , changing volume via keyboard pops up an overlay which then stutters the video signal. )

No, Nvidia. It's really bizarre, as soon as I launch Steam it kills the signal to the monitor, wtf?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Superanos posted:

Game Pass has the big problem of being paired with the Microsoft Store, which is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming. It installs games into a folder that you are not allowed to access, preventing all modding. And if you have bad luck and the store fails to uninstall a game (this actually happens), your disk space is lost forever because you can't manually delete the game.

Microsoft needs to stop trying to make these stupid Windows 10 Apps happen.

Yeah for all the crap thrown at EGS I'm surprised Game Pass has been getting such a free ride.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Microsoft isn't bribing devs to make their games Windows Store exclusive. They're not even making their own games Windows Store exclusive anymore. That's why people don't hate them as much as Epic - they're just not as bad.

That's not strictly true, Forza Horizon is essentially forever exclusive to the Windows Store on top of being installed to some bizarre encrypted directory that's virtually impossible to modify. This is just as bad if not worse than what Epic is doing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Det_no posted:

This is kinda the PC gaming thread so, can anyone playing on a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler tell me about their temperatures? It feels like this thing gets crazy hot, like 80+ degrees celcius, but I want to make sure whether or not it is normal before I try fiddling with reseating the heatsink.

I have a 2600 and found with the stock cooler it also ran quite hot. The temps were apparently normal but it caused the fans to spin up a lot and was quite noisy. Replaced it with an Artic Freezer and it's fine now and runs a lot cooler.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Why in the name of Gabe's knife collection does steam uninstall every loving game in the default library when you uninstall the client? What the gently caress? I just want to reinstall the client because it started crashing:

(I ended it via task manager since as you can see the cancel button is greyed out)

E: I just moved the common folder out of the steam folder to keep all my games, it's really stupid it's neither an option or pops a warning before just starting to delete everything. Jesus.

E2: Still crashing after a reinstall. The problem is steam suddenly forgot my password and when I try to type in the password box it freezes :(

Yeah I also had to re-install steam recently and thought :wtc:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Started RE2 Remake, it's great so far but I have a problem with HDR:
I have a TV (HDR) & a monitor (not HDR) plugged into the PC. The RE2 HDR only seems to work if I physically unplug my monitor from the PC. Not switched off, not using Win+P shortcut, has to be unplugged.

Any way around this?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I played Doom II back in the day with God Mode all the way through and still had a blast with it. Likewise I've got all the trophies in Bloodborne + DLC & beat all the bosses with no summons and had a blast with that too.

I think Celeste has the best recent implementation of an assist mode, the game makes it clear that it isn't intended to be played this way & disables achievements but you can go ahead and literally fly through all of the levels if you want to.

Like Celeste, the FROM games are absolutely built around difficulty as a core mechanic, a big part of the reward is in being able to overcome that difficulty - assists would trivialise this. But if you want more health or for the enemies to do less damage then why shouldn't you be able to tweak it to your liking?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

If anyone has an F1 2019 key they really don't want I'd most appreciate it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I liked GTAV when it was released but how it holds up today I don't know.

I thought the triple-protagonist thing was really novel and I got two of them to bump into each other in the open world and they actually reacted to each other's presence which was cool. The heists were fun but there were too few of them. The OST by Tangerine Dream is great. It looked incredible for it's time and it was something of a technical marvel that such a thing was possible with only 0.5GB of RAM (I played on X360, no idea how it holds up on PC).

My main problem with it was that the cops were way too aggressive and your player character was way too fragile so it discourages experimentation. You really needed about 3x more health (I guess you could mod this on PC?). It leans hard into trying to be more realistic and takes away a lot of the game-y aspects that made GTA3/VC/SA more fun. A lot of the missions are very on-rails and there isn't a lot of room for creativity in how you play.

The fact that it's a 7 year old game designed for the the previous-gen consoles and has been consistently one of the top-selling games every year since is :psyduck:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Does anyone have a Jackbox Party Pack 2 key that they don't want? Please PM me.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

With the Ubisoft sale & the EGS coupon I still have I can get one of these for under 10 clams, which is the best of the bunch?:

AC: Odyssey
Watch_Dogs 2
Far Cry New: Dawn

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was really surprised they went with 1TB. I guess it’s adequate now but it’s gonna be a real problem in a few years when games are 300 TB, just like 500 GB was fine enough in 2013 but became a problem pretty quick.

It's absolutely a cost-saving decision. Anything more would have pushed up the launch price too much. Especially as PS5 has a custom SSD architecture that's faster than anything you can buy for a home PC today.

Both consoles have expandable storage, PS5 supports off the shelf NVMe drives (but you'll have to get a really fast one that isn't even available yet) and XboxSX supports some proprietary memory-card type thing that's bound to be super-expensive.

I'm sure there will be revisions a couple of years after launch with bigger built-in drives.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Bit of an aside but any thoughts on GPU temps? My GTX 1060 is hitting 80C+ when playing Watch Dogs 2, is it ok to be consistently at 80 or so?

I had to enable custom fan curve because it got way too noisy, It's around 77 with the default but it's annoyingly loud.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The card is relatively new, part of a whole new PC build that's only around 18 months old. Cleaned it out for dust the other day but there wasn't much in there to begin with.

I might re-paste it as it seems unusually high for a relatively new part.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Around 40 when idling (room is much lower than that). Found some reviews that said it also ran hot for them and a re-paste got it down to 60-65 under load so seems like a good idea.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Low 80s aren't too out of the ordinary for most GPUs these days as long as you don't mind the fan noise. If it's still a concern you can always slap on a frame limiter so that your system doesn't have to work as hard.

Haha this is already with a frame limit on 58 with the nvidia control panel (and I'm only running it at 1080p), it could be that Watch Dogs 2 hits GPU's particularly hard but the fan noise was unbearable.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Hm yeah, that does seem a little hot for a game running only at 58fps and 1080p. What temps are you pulling from your CPU?

CPU certainly isn't an issue, I've got an Arctic Freezer on that and it barely hits 60 even at full load.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Thanks all for the help.

I recently wrapped up Doom Eternal and I have mixed thoughts on it. It has high highs and low lows. When it clicks it's fantastic but a few design decisions really sour the experience.

There is some really great level design but some of them over-rely on platforming mechanics that don't always flow very well, and some are really frustrating. Probably had to retry more of these than any of the combat encounters.

The Marauder is terrible enemy design and doesn't really fit the play-style of rest of the game. It's like someone thought "hey people like Dark Souls, lets put a souls-like enemy in the game where you have to time your attacks". Only it's worse because he auto-blocks anything that isn't timed *just so*. If there was only one of them as a boss encounter it might have been ok but he shows up too frequently towards the end of the game.

I turned the difficulty down a notch for the last 3 or 4 levels as it got a bit too much, some of the later encounters were just piling on more and more really tough enemies at once and it didn't seem like a fair fight anymore.

I'm not sure if I could go back to Doom 2016 but I don't think I had as this many issues with it at the time, I'd have to play them back to back to see if I actually preferred it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Xaris posted:

Yeah and I absolutely hate this trend. Clever AI things, terrain destruction and interactivity has absolutely stagnated for over a decade now and in fact regressed in a lot of games.

Agreed.

Unfortunately someone somewhere decided that graphics sell games so everyone (the AAA studios at least) has been chasing that dragon forevermore. Core game-play hasn't really evolved much at all in the past decade or so.
It's why we're seeing a lot more innovation coming from indie games these days as they don't have the budget to compete on graphics and so focus their efforts elsewhere and actually end up making interesting titles.

It's a real shame because we haven't seen some good ideas improved upon. Red Faction Guerrilla was over 10 years ago and nobody has really bettered that concept since.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Volte posted:

It only took about 10 years to go from "holy poo poo, this entire huge world is accessible at once, and I can do anything I want? My dreams have come true, I never thought this would be possible" to "Jesus Christ, another open world game? And I can't even break the trees?"

This is a very good point. I remember when I played GTAIII and couldn't believe such a game was possible. More recently trying AC Odyssey and thinking "you know what, this is a bit too much....".

The only game in the AAA space that has really surprised me recently was Death Stranding. It goes so completely against what a AAA game should be, and I think is brilliant for it.
Not everyone liked it (some people really hated it) and I can see why you wouldn't but I thought it was great.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Zereth posted:

So I'm curious, what would people say are some of the most ludonarratively dissonant games on steam? And I don't mean stuff like that Skyrim example earlier, ones where you're playing it normally and it's a huge gameplay/story mismatch.

Most of the GTA games are an obvious candidate.

GTAIV - I'm Nico just trying to get out of this life of criminality and hang out with my cousin and also commit something close to genocide.

GTAV to it's credit tried to get around that a bit with one of it's playable character's Trevor having a few screws loose whom you could actually imagine doing crazy things.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

8one6 posted:

I saw Disco Elysium on sale, tried it, and really didn't like it. I guess I have some horrible brain problem because this is apparently the best CRPG of the last decade or something and I just bounced right off of it.

I know it gets almost universal praise around here but I'm also finding it hard to stick with, so many other things I'd rather be playing and I wish all of the text was voiced and not just bits of it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Ragequit posted:

Doom Eternal is on sale for $45. I assume it's worth a shot if I loved Doom 2016? I heard there were some concerns keeping ammo on hand at launch. Has that been patched, or were people just playing in weird ways that caused the issue?

Yes. It's a great game overall that has some really high highs but a few missteps too.
One particular enemy that's introduced in the mid-late game is an absolute pain to deal with as he auto-blocks you unless you time your attacks. I also think certain sections lean too heavily into platforming and just end up being frustrating.

The low-ammo isn't a bug, the gameplay loop is absolutely built around that. I ended up knocking the difficulty down a notch for the last 3 levels as it got a bit too difficult towards the end but YMMV.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Was the first Mafia game the one where you couldn't drive more than 40mph without getting the cops on you.....because that sucked.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

The devs were pissed because Epic took a flat dollar amount off all games over a certain pricepoint without asking, which dropped their Lowest Sale Price on deal sites(effectively the "do not buy above this" amount for a lot of people), and a number of the games this happened to were newly released or still in Early Access like Hades. The 10$ coupon is a compromise because it doesn't affect their numbers.
So basically you're right about the devaluation but it was a flat discount and the coupon was the fix.

Edit:I just looked through at the old thread and they even applied it to some preorders so no wonder the devs were furious.

It wasn't the coupons, back in the early days they had a big deep-discount sale on everything which meant you could pick up some games on pre-order that weren't even available yet for up to 75% off. I got Hades for just over £5 a year ago (this even included the OST apparently, which costs extra).
So this blindsided a lot of developers as they weren't informed, but they still kept the full price so if you bought the game it was kind-of a win-win for them as Epic took the discount hit. However like you say the "lowest price" is now super-cheap and likely never to reach that again for a long time as it's not even out of EA yet.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

We all know what makes a bad open world game, but what makes a good open world game?

Seconding Breath of the Wild. I found it compelling to explore in a way that I haven't since the GTAIII/VC/SA era, can't put my finger on why exactly but it was a refreshing change from the icon-blizzard of most modern open world games.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

they're crunch abusers

To be fair to them (absolutely not condoning it), I can't think of a AAA game studio or big blockbuster movie that doesn't crunch. Also pretty much every big VFX movie ever made has a crazy amount of crunch. It's BS but that's how the industry works sadly.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Is the DLC in AC: Odyssey worth it?

Thinking of giving it another shot since I learned you can turn off the enemy level scaling. The Gold edition is on sale + the EGS coupon would make it very cheap (under £20 for the lot).

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Trickyblackjack posted:

Are you saying you tried Odyssey before and gave up? Then I would say skip the dlc and get it later on if you have a miraculous change of heart. Odyssey is a long game and the dlc is essentially more of the same.

If it's just more of the same I might leave it then and go for the base game.

Yes, I tried the free weekend but the enemy scaling (so that they always match your level) really put me off. I only later found out that it could be turned off so willing to try it again. I used to really like AC games but haven't played one since Black Flag.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I only have 63 games on Steam. I started way back with Half-Life 2 and Portal, but since moved to console gaming for a couple of generations and only got a PC again just over a year ago.

I've missed out on nearly a couple of decades of Steam madness.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

So what do we all think of XBox Game Pass for PC anyway, opening deal aside, now that the honeymoon period is over? Seem like a service worth keeping, instead of buying on Steam all the time?

If I had infinite spare time? Yes....

As it stands I think I might jump in and out for a month if something big comes along that won't be getting a discount for a while. I have a big enough backlog that I certainly don't need this service right now but I think it's really good value for what it is and leagues better than any other offering that Nintendo/Sony/MS have ever had before.
This hopefully sets a new standard for these sorts of services, however the app and general installation experience etc. on Windows leaves a lot to be desired.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I imagine with them giving away the source code to everyone we could see some really great mods for C&C/RedAlert in 6-12 months. Will be interesting to see what comes out of it!

Does anyone happen to have a spare Cities: Skylines Key they don't want? Please PM me.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah okay, I'm bouncing off Nioh pretty hard. I got to the Boss at the end of the fishing village and after a few times getting destroyed I figured my strategy was the wrong one because I was getting nowhere. I looked up how to fight him and apparently I'm using exactly the right strategy but the fight is just an exercise in frustration. It's just a matter of taking forever to chip away at his health bar combined with him easily killing me with two shots/only having four elixirs, so I've just been left in an endless series of repetitions of running to the Boss, fighting for 5-10 minutes doing very little damage, getting KOed by a single shot after running out of elixir, repeat.

Whatever it is about Dark Souls games that makes me willing to put up with multiple deaths to get past a Boss I'm just not feeling with Nioh. :smith:

Same, Nioh didn't click with me and this is coming from someone who has played & enjoyed all of the recent FROM games.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I got AC Odyssey as it was going cheap but I'm having trouble with the bow. When I hold the left trigger to aim it seems to barely move at all when I use the right stick - making it very hard to aim, turning up sensitivity didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Nvidia has finally unveiled its new GPUs. It's perhaps not super pertinent to the thread, but it looks like a pretty big leap in many areas and their super big 3090 lets you play at 8K 60FPS.

The key takeaway here is the 3070 will offer better than 2080 Ti performance at less than half the price: $499.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

With the Gamepass price increasing next week, is the trick to getting a cheap long subscription with Xbox live still work?

Considering taking advantage of this if it's still possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Can confirm the Gamepass discount works. I got 3 years of Ultimate for £91 by stacking 3x12-month Xbox Gold subs, and getting Ultimate for 1-month at the introductory price of £1 (in total, over £300 off what the full price would have been).

So if you haven't done this already now would be the time, price goes up in a couple of days and I'm fairly certain I will get at least £91 of value over 3 years.