Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

americanzero4128 posted:

Any recommendations for a $5 or under game that is not a roguelike, maybe flew under the radar (AKA not a AAA game), and bonus points, is in the 10-20 hour range?

Treasure Adventure World!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Strange, I was browsing my library just now looking at some old games and clicked on Zack Zero, which is a bad game you shouldn't play (but I did back in 2013), and an achievement unlocked for completing the game. I did that six years ago, Steam?? The game's not even installed or anything, just clicking it in the library unlocked it. :confused:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Might be a leftover save file from back then.

I found a single txt configuration file in a relevant folder, so that must be it. I didn't know achievements could even unlock without the game being launched to be honest, and it's not even installed so I dunno why it's syncing that up all of a sudden. Also weird that the Post-game Summary that came up dates the achievement correctly to 2013, but the game stats page shows it as unlocked today. I'll chalk it up to some client weirdness.

Incidentally, far more people on my friends list have this game and actually played it than I would have thought, but to their credit only a few bothered to beat it. We must all have gotten it in the same bundle.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Serephina posted:

Pyre? It's basically a visual novel with a simplistic soccer game every now and then.

I just finished Pyre a couple of days ago and it's fantastic, but even on Normal difficulty the matches can sometimes get quite hectic, I think, and require some decent reflexes. The game does go to great lengths to emphasize that losing is 100% okay (you can lose every match and the story will continue anyway), but for me some matches were still kinda stressful. I only lost one in my playthrough but had some very close calls as well. Maybe on the easiest difficulty level it's a complete non-issue, or if Walked is okay with losing since the story doesn't really hinge on winning. But yeah, at least on Normal, and if you do want to win a few matches, I think it does require some action/twitch reflexes.

I know some people bounced off the gameplay but I really enjoyed it. I've been playing some random matches in Versus mode just to have some stress/story-free fun with it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Looks like Tomb Raider 2013 and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris are free to keep, if you add them to your library before the 24th and while supplies last. I suspect most people already have the former but I snagged the latter.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I've played three hours of The Witness. The island is beautifully designed and I feel like it completely puts to shame many bigger "exploration" games. Wonderful fast-ish travel system, too. Now if I wasn't such an imbecile maybe I'd be making more progress on some of these puzzles... it took me this long to conclusively understand what the black/white squares wanted from me and having already explored much of the island I know I'm now ready to tackle some other areas, cause I saw that mechanic in lots of other places.

Got a laser up and running and halfway to another, so far.

I could, uh, probably do without the tapes, but whatever. No one's forcing me to click them I guess!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

seriously what the gently caress am i supposed to do

I think I remember this puzzle! Specifically, I remember looking up the solution because I'd had enough. :negative: If I remember correctly the solution is super long and complicated. I couldn't bring myself to do the post-game. Think overall I like Cosmic Express and Sokobond better than Snowman.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

goferchan posted:

Ever play Stephen's Sausage Roll? Great game but good god

edit: by which I mean it's loving hard. Extremely clever puzzle mechanics though and one of my favorite games

I haven't, SSR's notorious difficulty has scared me off a bit (and I also bounced off English Country Tune). I sort of just assume I won't be able to beat it and that's discouraging enough to make me not even want to start. That's a bad way to engage with a game, of course, or any endeavor at all really, which certainly explains a lot about my life.

Fortunately I'm feeling all right about my progress in The Witness!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Pierson posted:

bank levels are always the best stuff in any game ever released.

I like hotels and high society galas better in these games, but it's close. I'd put bank levels on the same tier as museum levels.

I do have a vague memory of breaking into a vault in Dark Forces and that being my favorite level in that game except I'll never be able to revisit it because I've never been able to get past the sewers when I try replaying it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I've just beaten The Witness. The final area just about made me want to die but somehow I made it through. I am fairly pleased with myself that in 28 hours I didn't look up a single hint or solution. But I should also temper that with the fact that I left a lot of loose ends. Some areas only half-beaten, a couple optional ones never started and a whole mechanic that I never fully figured out, which also blocked me in some other places. And then there are also the black pillars and the maps which are obviously A Thing.

I'd love to go back and solve the rest of it, but I also definitely need a break. And I have a tendency to not actually return to a game once beaten despite wanting to, so who knows.

Genuinely great game, though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

About the pillars. Did you find anything related to their purpose?

Not sure. I found two puzzle solutions that looked like maps - one in a cave in the mountain and another in a cave underground near the tree temple. I know these can be applied to a puzzle in the area under the windmill, but that was one place that I didn't complete, so that's about as far as I got.

quote:

About the ending. The game has two of those, so it's something worth exploring further.

I imagine that's to do with the one puzzle at the very end that was unlit... and I think I can guess how to light it up but I also think that probably means completing almost everything else.

quote:

It's definitely one of my favorite games of the last years by the way :)

Yeah I can see why! I thought the voice acting was a bit iffy at times but that's about my only complaint (other than a couple of irritating puzzles, but well). The island design especially is wonderful, just a great place to wander and tinker and fiddle with puzzles.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Played about an hour of Nuclear Throne. The sound effects are insanely loud and there's no separate volume slider for them, which is really annoying. And the second area is a dark sewer level, which sucks. Otherwise it seems pretty all right. I was under the impression that this was some kind of masterpiece, but maybe my expectations were too high or it's just been surpassed since its release. It's not immediately grabbing me but it's fun enough to keep at for now, I think.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Moreso than in any other roguelite that I've played dying in Nuclear Throne is incredibly frustrating. I'm probably just not skilled enough yet, but the absence of any meta-progression or permanent unlocks (so far? I've seen references to golden weapons and whatnot but none of that has shown up for me in over 15 hours) I think also contributes to it, although on the other hand I do appreciate that it's a purer game in that sense - success is mostly just skill and knowledge. At the moment death is usually so sudden that it just pisses me off, though. You're just so squishy. The worst is when I somehow squeak past Lil Hunter only to promptly die to a random mook instead.

I've reached and died to the final* boss like four times and I have a better sense of my preferred loadouts (Shovel + Assault Slugger is my ideal setup at the moment) so that's something I guess. It's a fun game.

edit: It also doesn't help that the desert is immensely boring.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 19, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That would at least help a bit with the slow start, but I've never even seen a golden chest. The big red chests you get from skipping normal ones, and police chests, but nothing golden.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you're trying to stumble on how to unlock things, its extremely unlikely. Look up a guide for that stuff.

Heh, I actually was, yeah. I've seen references to things but deliberately avoided the details.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you're trying to stumble on how to unlock things, its extremely unlikely. Look up a guide for that stuff.

Having just now sat on the Nuclear Throne for the first time (:toot:) I went ahead and took this advice, and looked up how to unlock the last few characters. I can confirm that there was indeed no chance of me ever stumbling on those requirements naturally. Not even remotely.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth on Yoku's Island Express. Somehow, I feel like I want it, yet I never seem to want to spend money on it or it's not high enough on the priority list when I am spending money. Should I pull the trigger or wipe it from my wishlist aaaaaaa

I'm sort of the same with Yoku, was looking at it yesterday since it's going for so cheap but I think I'll pass. It looks lovely but it's a genre where exploration and movement is really important and I can't help but feel like the pinball thing would slow that down immensely. I can see it getting really tedious and frustrating (for me) when you just want to backtrack some place quickly (and some of the negative reviews have highlighted this as an issue, although to be fair they are dwarfed by the number of positive ones). I'm not huge on pinball to begin with so that aspect of it isn't even a major attraction.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

ymgve posted:

Emily is Away Too: ? is the first letter of an old three-letter chat program that used numbers instead of nicknames
?2K5?-XNX9P-6CRF0

Took this one, thanks. I remember that program and enjoyed the first game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I finally stopped bouncing off Spirits Abyss https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078200/Spirits_Abyss/ . I really wanted to like it but kept getting mashed cos of the scan-lined NES style graphics, playing it in a window in crt-tube mode (yes really) I can actually get the gist of whats happening. It's great to play a Spelunky style game that is it's own entity, this is several of its own entities. It's really obtuse but looking forward to it opening up even more I unlocked a separate card-battle game/mode already ...

I have like 50 hours in this, it's great. Not as deep as Spelunky (nor as hard) but it makes up for it in other ways (like characters that actually play differently, multiple game modes, etc.). A lot of the unlocks are really fun to do.

The recent update added the equivalent of Spelunky's infamous Low Scorer achievement, which owned. It was way easier to do here but you better believe I still hosed up multiple times right at the finish line.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

What are the odds either Fallout 4 or Pillars of Eternity 1 will be on sale for the summer sale? They're the games I really wanna buy now that are a bit more expensive than I'm willing to spend. Especially FO4 which is still loving full price....

Oh, I have an extra key for PoE 1. Just the base game, no expansions. I don't have plat but post your email or Steam ID and I'll be happy to send it over if you want it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yup, I sent you a friend invite!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh man, I played the first hour or so Arkham Asylum, holy loving poo poo was that fun! The setting, the plot, the combat...I actually feel like I’m the loving Batman here to bring justice! Gonna move on to Titanfall 2 but it’s hard not to just keep playing...sorry Tomb Raider you move back down the list!

This matches my own experience with the game. I went into it with a shrug, and not caring about anything Batman at all, but it's such a strong opening that it grabbed me basically immediately. For the next 20 hours or so I was super into Batman stuff, and that lingered for another 2-3 days after I beat the game at which point I returned to not caring about Batman. It's just an excellent, excellent game, apart from mashing space to open vents, which sucks.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

buglord posted:

Nuclear Throne is kicking my butt. It feels awfully unfair when I spawn into a level in the center of a large opening with everyone shooting at me. How do you guys manage?

That's a common complaint. I'm not that good at NT but two things that can help in that situation are a) the Hammerhead mutation, and just instantly tunnel into the wall to get away from the carnage, b) a fast-swinging melee weapon to clear/deflect projectiles (screwdriver or wrench, for instance). It's a hard game, though, and it kind of delights in killing you so sometimes that's just going to happen.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Azran posted:

Hey guys, looking for some recommendations for my sister. She's very new when it comes to PC gaming and her PC is sorta low-end (no GPU, i3 8100, 8gb ram). She loves games that are relaxing, heavy on narrative and/or exploration, the natural world (especially plants) and complex puzzles. Some stuff she's loved: the whole Zachtronics catalogue, Sunless Skies, Minecraft, Morels: The Hunt, My Time at Portia. Any ideas?

These might be worth looking into, maybe:

Waking Mars
A House of Many Doors
Knytt Underground
Pixeljunk Eden
Morphopolis
Echo of the Wilds

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

roomtwofifteen posted:

Any other good ~$1 games to push over into $30 for the $5 coupon? Sitting at $29 with a few things so far. I saw Sonic Generations, which eh sure, but curious if anything else in that price ballpark.

Treasure Adventure World!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Feeling altogether kind of :effort: about this sale. I've had a lot of difficulty recently actually playing games despite wanting to, which is mostly a result of general emotional malaise and a bad case of avolition. Looking at my backlog and wishlist and there's a ton of games I want to play, except it's more that I want to have played them; I can't bring myself to do the actual playing.

I think I'm buying Opus Magnum and Townscaper, though. They are the only two I can envision actually installing and launching at the moment, and I hope I'm right. Then I'm about $15 away from the discount but struggling to think of what to add. Maybe a thread favorite like Demoncrawl or Synthetik. Or an old classic I've never played, like OG Doom, Resident Evil 4. Or go out of my comfort zone in an attempt to break this paralysis and get C&C Remastered, or Persona 4 (but this could very easily backfire spectacularly). Or add a lot of small, cheap stuff like Retrowave, Creepy Castle, Transcendence, Herald, Neofeud. I would like to play all of these games, but I don't want to play any of them.

Maybe I just don't chase that discount??

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Xaris posted:

That said, definitely get Outer Wilds. It’s good short n sweet and helps break some gaming funk because it’s really unique and sort of goes back closer to nostalgia childhood days of gaming in having fun for fun sake instead of lizard brain sake

Sadly I don't think my system could run it properly... it only partly meets the minimum specs, I guess it'd run but not well. I've done a good job avoiding spoilers for it so far, though (and I am grateful for people tagging them itt!), it's one for the future for sure.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Did you buy Opus Magnum yet? I've got a key for it if not.

That would be great, I'd appreciate it. This is me, I should be online later today.

John Murdoch posted:

Oof, I feel ya. That's more or less my default mood 90% of the time but this summer it's had the unpleasantness of an eye condition acting up to really take any last lingering wind out of my sails. My gaming time has been like 80% casual puzzle games to keep from going crazy and 20% getting mad at Binding of Isaac.

And now I'm on the cusp of reinstalling and replaying Arkham Asylum cuz even though I've played all of those games a ton they're a comfortable, familiar favorite rather than needing to put brain effort into something like, say, Prey. A game I absolutely want to play. Y'know. Someday. Eventually. When the time is right. :smith:

Prey is another one of those for me too, yeah. It's frustrating. I'm also mostly only capable of playing games I've already sunk a lot of time into (Hades is the one right now) because it means I don't have to apply any effort to learn a new game (whether it's mechanically, or simply getting to know new characters or a new world, etc.). I'm hardly new to depression but I only recently read about avolition as a condition, and it so perfectly describes mine - the desire and motivation are there, but the ability is missing to translate them into action. There's some kind of missing link. Every now and then that spark does appear, and I feel right now I could have it for Opus Magnum even though I know it will be demanding.

Det_no posted:

So now I can only get a couple of things. Let me know if there are any absolute must-haves from this list, goons. Otherwise, I'll probably go by the cheapest.

I don't have any recommendations but if I recall correctly the devs of Heartbeat are transphobic assholes, sadly. (edit: yeah what Stickman said.) I bought Bastard Bonds last year but haven't played it yet so I can't actually vouch for it, it looks great though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

I don't know how to say this without making Jack Thompson sound right, but what are some good intense, violent action games along the lines of Katana Zero or Hotline Miami that uh, aren't those?

Haven't played it myself but Ape Out is supposed to be excellent.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is so hideous and awful and inefficient, I hate it so much.

I am loving this game, though, and I enjoy being bad at Zachtronics games. Thanks again to Cream-of-Plenty for the key. I didn't end up buying anything during the sale but I think Opus Magnum will be enough for a good while.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

This is so hideous and awful and inefficient, I hate it so much.

Improved this slightly, I guess? It's slower but cheaper and less ugly. I'm really bad at making things that multi-task, it's usually one phase at a time so everything goes really slowly.

Do we have a Zachtronics thread? I doubt each game on its own needs a thread but a generalized one for all things Zach-like could be useful, maybe. At the very least as a place to dump these gifs.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ambaire posted:

That was my solution from last year, though. Bit of tweaking, and it's down to 60 cycles.

I got you beat on Area and Cost. :colbert:

Ah but seriously, yeah, you can see a clear difference in how much downtime there is in mine while half the machine waits for the other half to do its thing, whereas in yours all the mechanisms are constantly busy. I'll get there some day, maybe.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

A few others to look into:

- Headlander
- Alwa's Awakening (and the newly released sequel which I have not actually played)
- Mini Ghost (this was in the itch bundle) and its bigger sibling, Ghost 1.0 (have not played that one personally)
- Treasure Adventure World
- Super Panda Adventures (this is way way better than it appears... or at least it was when I played it in 2014; maybe in 2020 it's not as good anymore)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I guess I have to step in as one of the resident DF defenders on this forum.

The Broken Age money was not squandered on expensive voice actors at all (Jack Black is a friend of Schafer's and Elijah Wood was an actual backer; they both did it for minimum pay). The money was mostly spent on art and animation and it absolutely shows in the game. The perceived management issues that project had were also massively overblown imo and weren't particularly unusual for this industry.

Brutal Legend was always supposed to be an RTS first, and that infamous misleading trailer was the publisher's idea, not DF's.

Psychonauts may be DF's only true masterpiece but the perception that they've put out nothing but trash since is very strange to me. Brutal Legend, Stacking, Headlander, Costume Quest 1&2, Broken Age, Massive Chalice - these were all varying degrees of good, and they've put out other stuff that was at least interesting, as well as published some good stuff. The remasters of old LucasArts adventures were great too.

They are a good studio.

edit:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe it’s petty but I’ll never forgive DF-9 and probably never buy another DF game.

This, however, is completely fair. It was a massive fuckup.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

In other news, I just clicked on Jets'n'Guns 2 in my library which... prompted an achievement popup. I didn't launch it, in fact I haven't played it since 2018, it's not even installed, but I got an achievement. Then things got weirder.

what year is it again

Same thing happened to me a few months ago with a different game:

Glare Seethe posted:

Strange, I was browsing my library just now looking at some old games and clicked on Zack Zero, which is a bad game you shouldn't play (but I did back in 2013), and an achievement unlocked for completing the game. I did that six years ago, Steam?? The game's not even installed or anything, just clicking it in the library unlocked it. :confused:

Also the same weirdness/inconsistency with the unlock dates. The Steam client is full of mysteries.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The sequel to Consortium is the only game I've helped crowdfund that I genuinely don't think will actually be finished, despite a playable-to-a-degree Early Access version sitting in my backlog for like three years now. It doesn't seem like they're making any sort of meaningful progress on it at all sadly, but admittedly I haven't been following it very closely. The devs were also sort of implicated as lovely employers in Nathalie Lawhead's outing of Jeremy Soule last year and as far as I know never addressed any of that at all, so that kind of soured me on it as well.

I really did like that first game a lot, though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I thought it was interesting. Conceptually I like the idea of a game that takes place in a relatively small space, but it being packed with detail and content. Consortium comes pretty close to Warren Spector's "one city block" idea which is right up my alley. And especially since there were multiple things happening in different areas of the ship/plane at any time and you obviously couldn't be everywhere at once. Between that and the many ways that you could conduct yourself and navigate encounters the game could unfold in a lot of different ways. It wasn't perfect by any means but I thought it was pretty successful at what it tried to do.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Been playing some Cloud Gardens, and it's a very pleasant and relaxing thing. The game is very good at creating pretty scenes even when they are made by someone like me, who lacks any sort of aptitude or vision for visual design. I always enjoy the thought of building stuff in sandboxes, manually placing little details everywhere, etc., but in practice when faced with a blank canvas I usually just... don't know what to do. I'd be an awful level designer. Here, though, you can just coat everything with pretty plants and flowers and it will always look good no matter how little imagination went into setting up the scene.

Ultimately I'll probably end up getting more out of the campaign (having already finished what's there at the moment) but I appreciate this flattering sandbox as well.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Most of my Spelunky muscle memory seems to be intact, which is nice, except for whipping arrows.

It does seem to be weirdly taxing on my CPU/GPU for a 500mb game, even if they are very (very) old. There's been some rumblings about performance issues on the Steam forums so maybe that's it. Luckily no framedrops for me, just spinning the fans more than I would've thought.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Need some Spelunky 2 advice and I'm avoiding the thread for now in order to dodge spoilers, so I'll ask my question here. At the moment I'm only interested in opening the third shortcut, not clearing a whole run. With that in mind:

I need a Hired Hand and am really struggling to keep one alive for that long. My strategy so far has been to just start at the temple and hope a shop spawns. Am I right that a shop can't spawn in the Tide Pool, or is this just bad luck? Cause that area's a hundred times easier than the temple and if I could hire one there I'd rather go there. Especially since I need to use all four of my starting bombs just to enter the temple from the shortcut.

The alternative is to just do standard runs and hope to keep one alive, but you can't carry them throughout an entire level cause they shake themselves loose (unlike in the first game iirc). The benefit is I might have more bombs or a weapon by the time I get to the temple which would make that area easier, but eh.

So is it a good idea to keep using the temple shortcut or is there a better strategy to get this done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

goferchan posted:

If you kill the big fish that spawns in the third tide pool stage, there's a guaranteed hired hand trapped inside of his belly

Ah thanks! I also ran into the "air of oppression" level feel for the first time which has at least one HH, and found another one at a secret shop, so that should be plenty of options in Tide Pool.