Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I can recommend Hades as a good podcast game, though it can be a bit too intense to fully zone out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ugh I thought I was current. Uh new topic, anyone playing Stoneshard? Reaaaaaal early but pretty promising top down rpg. So like if you've ever plaed Dredmor or Dungeon Crawl or Nethack and thought "I like the rpg poo poo in here but kinda wish someone made a handcrafted dungeon crawler with it for a change" that seems to be where it's going.

My understanding is that the only thing that's handcrafted is the prologue dungeon. Everything after that is procedural.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dead Rising 2's bosses are actually worse. Each is more rage-inducing than the last. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is a troll of some kind.

The beer hat and the alcohol book combined is pretty much the automatic win button in DR2.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Orv posted:

Break every bone in a mans body?

89 BPM heart rate, unconscious.

There's also the fact that Arkham's on lockdown. If these guys do survive for ages without medical attention, they're losing those limbs.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Rookersh posted:

Depends on what you care about.

Storywise the Clerics will always suck, the Beserkers kinda suck, and the Druggies suck but you can kill the sucky people and turn them into a great faction.

Gameplaywise, the Clerics focus on energy weapons/mechs ( which I never found great ), Beserkers handle magic ( which is generally ok ), and Druggies focus on drugs/guns/rocket launchers. All of which are laughably broken.

I went with Clerics because their armor had glowy bits.

Fashion for life.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Orv posted:

"Odyssey with snow" could actually be really good.

I suppose my issue is the lack of major landmarks or towns. I don't want to return to the trees of AC3.

Though as its subtitled Valhalla, maybe it will lean more into the supercool mythical stuff from the last two games.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

SardonicTyrant posted:

So, finishing The Final Station made me realize I have an itch for games where you hop in a vehicle and travel between towns scrounging for supplies and avoiding monsters. What are some of the better games with that sort of gameplay loop?

Zompiercer entered Early Acess recently, so maybe keep an eye on that.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

StrixNebulosa posted:

- you still have to dig in tiny squares, going down means carving out 2 tiny squares at a time so you can go down one unit. Takes forever.

Are you using the smart cursor button? Its finickity without it but with it on just automatically digs a hole at your width/height.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Awesome! posted:

hades has story stuff before your run, not so much during it. you can just run past it if you want.

Also you only really encounter it once, its not repeated. Griftlands looks like you'll be going through the same story stuff every run.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Did they ever fix the thing in Vampyr where if you try to skip a single piece of dialogue it skips the entire conversation until a different character speaks? That always seemed really bizarre to me, far more annoying than the combat.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
For Metroidvanias, Supraland is fantastic. Some genuinely clever puzzles that use combinations of all your equipment.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
A Canticle For Liebowitz. Just Abbey management/development and religious politicking in the post apocalypse.

Det_no posted:

I want a Valkyria Chronicles RTS that plays like Company of Heroes. They already made VC skins for COH2 so come on, Sega, you can do it.

Wouldn't this be better done like Dawn of War 2? I thought Valkyria wasn't exactly about expendable cannon fodder.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Mordja posted:

ddid you ever wanted to gently caress a cthulu??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPaWZMexb0A

Someone more talented than me needs to gif the graphic plunging of the penis into whatever that is.

It just feels like it sums up 2020.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Phlegmish posted:

I kind of like these Astrarium puzzles, even when it takes me a while to get it right. Satisfying when you hear that final click.

You really need to name which game you're talking about, because its confusing as gently caress. I started searching Steam for Artificer Rogue, thinking it sounded like an interesting Roguelike.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
While Titanfall 2 is better, I always thought it was a bit of a shame Infinite Warfare seemed to be so overlooked.

Its even got its own friendly robot who sacrifices himself for you.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

repiv posted:

it's been overlooked in the long tail because call of duty games almost never get discounted

infinite warfare is still $60 on steam after four years

Oh yeah, that explains it perfectly.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, there are also like a million of them and they're all basically the same game, that limits possible conversation about it I imagine. It's not the kind of thing where someone stumbled about it out of niche interest and tells other people about the neat thing they found. If you buy a CoD game, you know what you're looking for and you know what you're getting.

And Titanfall 2, developed by the guys who made CoD truly massive, is different because?

As reply said, the reason it comes up so often in this thread is probably mainly due to discounts.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

gonna take a wild shot in the dark here and say giant robots

I was talking about Infinite Warfare, which has giant robots, space battles, zero-G stealth missions, and optional campaign missions that give persistent upgrades. I just thought it was a shame its written off as just another CoD and doesn't get mentioned anywhere near Titanfall 2.

Plus, you get to smash Jon Snows teeth in.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Ciaphas posted:

Yesterday someone mentioned Starcom: Nexus. Looked like a game I might enjoy, but it seems a little too heavy on the combat for what I want.

Kinda champing at the bit to play something like this, though. I missed the Escape Velocity era entirely and it's been a long time since I've seen anything like it. Closest was Star Traders: Frontiers, last couple years, but that's not quite it for me either.

Starcom Nexus is fantastic, but I really wouldn't compare it to EV, Star Traders or Starsector. You're basically a lone ship in a completely alien galaxy so its very much about exploration rather than missions/trading. It is fairly combat heavy but if you've ever played a twin stick it won't be too tough and there's no time pressure. You can always back off and upgrade your ship to take on difficult foes.

Closest comparison would be Star Control 2.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Ciaphas posted:

so learning the art of the molotov has helped me a lot, but i still can't figure out how to fight zombie Terry Crews with any sort of speed. best i've done so far is like 15 throwing stars, which seems expensive for my progress

I don't know if you've got a kind of GOTY pack, but there's a DLC I randomly got that includes a hellbeast shotgun that's easy to craft and annihilates pretty much everything.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Cardiovorax posted:

To expand on that encounter, it apparently continues with an Intelligence check that will instantly kill you if you succeed at it, unless you also succeed at a Wisdom check right after. That just seems like bad design to me.

Sounds like its trying to do a Disco Elysium of "Not all failures are bad" and failing spectacularly.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

anilEhilated posted:

Is there an RPG where the combat has any weight? You get the obvious actiony stuff with the various Souls and Witchers or depth with turn-based-tactics games but I don't really remember a top-down ARPG where the combat was actually fun since, well, Diablo 3.

I mean, I just started Dragon Age: Inquisition and it's downright miserable with how weak everything feels. Sure as hell wouldn't mind some RPGs with satisfying combat.

Victor Vran, starring Geralt.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

RBA Starblade posted:

In retrospect it's dumb bullshit that Caesar's Legion wasn't based out of Caesars Palace.

Wouldn't that be out of sorts with the 1950's stuff? Not that Fallout isn't an anachronistic mess anyway.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

twistedmentat posted:

Any spooky games that can be recommended to keep an eye out if steam has a sale on them? I'm interested in more exploration and investigation than survival, that is more about environment than jumpscares. Also nothing with a mechanic where you have to maintain some resource. So nothing like Outlast, its basically everything I hate about horror games.

Soma and Layers of Fear. No resources IIRC. Soma has some monsters that stalk you, but they actually patched in a safe mode if you don't want to worry about them.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

exquisite tea posted:

Translation is a bit sketchy

That's a bit of an understatement. I doubt a native English speaker looked at this.

Edit: Also, it feels like it wants you to start investing skill points in specific weapon types straight away, with improvements having zero crossover between them. Just let me level up strength, don't make me choose to raise my attack power in swords only to find out I hate the style. The dual swords special ability is right at the end of the tree, how do I know if its crap to use?

Fatty fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 15, 2020

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm looking for a game recommend if anyone can help me (doesn't have to be on Steam specifically, just something PC), something where you just explore an either randomly generated world, or at least a massive landscape. Preferably something chill and relaxing.

I like games like Among Trees, Astroneer, and The Long Dark, but those are too focused on building up a little camp and staying put. I'm looking for something more akin to just walking across the world in Minecraft and looking at landscapes while maybe snatching up supplies.

Edit: first/third person would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Bit out of left field, but Grow Home and its sequel?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Anyway, if for some reason any of y'all have gone this long without playing Immortal Redneck yet, its currently two whole dollars on GOG and it owns.

Immortal Redneck is well worth 2 bucks, especially if you like Doomguy style zipping around. In a similar vein, Ziggurat 2 entered early access recently, and I was surprised at how polished it is already. Enjoying it a lot, and this is coming from someone who bounced hard off the first.

Spells will always have worse gunfeel than actual guns though.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

exquisite tea posted:

I appreciate that Senua has all these combo extending moves and different contextual attacks but the game 100% commits to not telling you how to play it.

I was quite late in the game when I realised the run button acted as an attack modifier and made the combat a lot more fun. Don't think the game ever actually told me that.

That said, I loved the game

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

nordichammer posted:

what is a rogue like that has fun Meta progression, allows every run to be productive even if it sucks, doesn't make healing and upgrading cost remotely the same, always provides an option to attack, and isn't too punishing?

Immortal Redneck. You get upgrades every run and the combat's great.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Fwoderwick posted:

I'm finally playing Mankind Divided and I'm just getting started in Prague. Is there any reason why I shouldn't beeline max hacking and break in to every building and computer I see? Will the game ultimately give me reasons to do so?

In other words, at what point should I Kai Leng my way in to my neighbour's apartment to eat their cereal?

IIRC, you're pretty much sent to every building in the hub by the plot or sub missions at some point.

On the subject of Dishonored, how's Death of the Outsider? Worth playing?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dishonored is a series where the DLC for each of its respective entries is better than the base game

I though Death of the Outsider was standalone with a new character? Or have I got that wrong?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The 7th Guest posted:

including sinking island which is 79 cents and has this incredibly bad splash image for its steam page

At first I thought this was an Asylum style rip-off of The Sinking City. But no one would want to copy that game.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

lordfrikk posted:

Maybe I am missing something in Assassins's Creed Valhalla but:

One of the main activities in the game is to raid monasteries to get building supplies for your base. There are several chests of valuables in each monastery that you have to loot to complete it. Ideally, I would just sneak in and do it without attracting attention from the whole complex. But wait! There's no way to get into the monastery buildings or the chests without the help of someone else because the doors are big and the chests are heavy. So your actual only option is to sound your horn to call your mates so you can raid with them as the game commands.

The raid on Lindisfarne isn't exactly famous for the vikings sneaking in and stealing a couple of chalices.

Benagain posted:

Waiting for the first gangster sim that realizes they need a relationship system like crusader kings

I know it's standard to want to slot the Nemesis system into everything, but it would probably work in a Gangster game.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Xander77 posted:

If you're not skipping any of the sidequels you now have three nearly identical sailing games to go through. Best of luck.

Going by release order, he can choose between Unity and Rogue if he wants to take a break from sailing.

That was a bizarre time.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The Joe Man posted:

Rogue is one of the three.

I know, I was saying they could choose to play Unity before Rogue, on account of their identical release dates.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Unavowed is an amazing old school point & click adventure that mixes in some RPG style choices. Technobabylon is also great.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

AngryBooch posted:

Then I found out the second phase of the Gluttony boss fight takes place under-loving-water!

I mean, at that point it basically becomes an easy puzzle boss. Have you played a Zelda game before?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Kly posted:

if anyone has easy metroidvania recommendations id love to hear them

Wuppo!

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Gamerofthegame posted:

inherent problem with non-jedi games is then you're just shooting the same clone/droid/stormtrooper forever with the same gun that goes pew

To me Star Wars open world screams bounty hunters, and there are plenty of ways to jazz up that combat/progression. Given the insane popularity of The Mandalorian it seems like a no-brainer.

Though, I think there may have been numerous stalled developments so far. Not even counting the linear Bounty Hunter game for PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What happened to the dungeon crawler genre? I remember a few years ago there was a revival with Legend of Grimrock and Might & Magic X, both of which I really loved. I tried LoG 2 but I lost interest in it after awhile because of the lack of direction- I'm open to restarting it, but when I look at other games, they seem like they're for grognards who love the Wizardry series.

I couldn't get into Labryinth of Refrain because I find the Disgaea-esque music and character design to be incredibly grating, and I hear Stranger of Sword City is super groggy.

Vaporum: Lockdown came out recently if you want an industrial style Grimrock. Its kind of got an active-pause combat which I much prefered to Grimrocks bizarre multi-headed character cooldowns. Can't comment on the first game.

Theres also Starcrawlers which is more of a turn based party RPG.