Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

GhostDog posted:

Bit of a PC Gaming question: Does an NVMe SSD make an appreciable difference in loading stutter compared to a SATA one? Specifically wondering if that would brute force past some of the issues in badly optimized games, like I'm experiencing right now in Fallen Order.

To fully answer this outside of the frame of J:FO, no not really. There would be a difference but not really an appreciable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Koburn posted:

Black Mesa Xen report:

It still loving sucks. I foolishly thought that the huge delay was in part due to improving Xen and not making it the slog it was in the original HL. Nope! I don't know if they've made it longer but it sure feels like it. It takes so long to get to the nutsack boss and then it takes an hour to finally kill the loving thing. I looked up a lets play and I still have over an hour of Xen until the games ends. I would have enjoyed the game so much more if I'd played it a month ago and it ended at the teleporter.

I've had the exact opposite experience to be honest. I played BM back when it was just the earthside stuff and I really enjoyed it. Played through the full release again and still had loads of fun. The new Xen is really well designed, looks beautiful, and makes a whole bunch of visual sense out of the abstract map design of the first and hinted story beats from HL1 and HL2. The whole thing is a lot longer than the original Xen, and that's fine because there's more than 2 game mechanics in the entire chapter. They've added several unique and interesting puzzle mechanics, and I thought the mix of combat vs puzzling was really good. The final boss is also reworked and is actually a really good fight, with a lot of the elements of the original but way less of the annoying stuff.

Overall, as a huge fanboy of Half-Life, I am really really happy with the final product of Black Mesa and I am currently replaying it. 10/10.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

MZ posted:

Nvidia just added a max frame-rate cap feature in their new driver (seems like something they should have added years ago?).

What's the accepted wisdom for reducing tearing in games these days? I have a 60Hz screen so should I be limiting the FPS to 59 & turning vsync on in the nvidia settings?

Turning Vsync on will eliminate tearing. That’s what it’s for. It may introduce some slight input lag though. This is more noticeable in fast twitchy games, but really it depends on the engine and a lot of factors.

Limiting your FPS to the refresh rate of your screen (check the display settings, might be 59, might be 60) will potentially help with tearing but depending on the timing might not help entirely. Only way to be sure is try it and see.

I don’t really see a need to do both - Vsync will effectively limit the frame rate anyway as it will literally only push a frame to the display buffer when the screen is ready to draw it. The other handicap with this is that if the framerate dips below 60 it will just dive to 30 to maintain a steady rate. Which is jarring and not optimal.

In summary, try the limiter. If it works out great. If you still get tearing put Vsync on instead.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Whats a good shooting game for people bad at shooting? Ive never been good at twitch reflexes owing to growing up as a console babby and ive always gravitated to supports that dont need to aim like Engie or Torbjorn

The Serious Sam series is worth a look. All of them are good, 2 being the weak link but still fun enough to play through.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

All this OST chat and not a single mention of Doom’16? For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm932Sqwf5E

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I did a thing. :toot:-

The Hat cheev isn't even that difficult. Much friendlier to attempt than the Gnome thing in HL2. There's several hub areas and non linear parts you can leave the hat and come back to it later, which helps. The only truly tricky part was getting it through the reactor portals.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I remember the approximate price of RAM being ~£1 per 1MB for the longest time. Looking at those fancy new 256MB DIMMs with longing. Wondering if I’d ever really need that much. :ohdear:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can you recommend some $10-20 games that look really pretty at high resolution (1440 or 4k) on medium hardware?

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive is £15 and pretty as hell.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I think the three stripes are meant to symbolise “options”. It’s generally a button to bring up a menu or a map.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

queeb posted:

journey to the savage planet is actually kinda neat. its not a discovery type games, its a whole campaign where you land on this weird planet and nee dto reseach and shoot your way through it. its very pretty and metroid like, unlocking new abilities to do more poo poo

Can you throw a link in there for me to check out when I get home? This looks like my jam.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

queeb posted:

its an epic game :(

Why would you do this to me, in the steam thread :argh:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Steam will use any and all available bandwidth on my PC but will let other poo poo through, I don't notice an adverse affect on things unless I'm trying to stream large video or something.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

Can you still play the old Bulletstorm? I keep meaning to install it but then I remember GFWL and hesitate.

Pretty sure I played it from Steam after the GFWL shutdown. Can’t remember exactly tho.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

“The major governments of the world have made it illegal for us to exploit the poor impulse control of children, so it’s time for us to stop!”

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

vaginite posted:

Black Mesa rules and the new Xen is amazing (although it drags in a couple areas pretty bad). Half-life 2 sucks and Black Mesa made me realize why.

I played through half-life 1 atleast 5 times in my teens and when 2 came out I was excited as gently caress, but only played through it once and felt like I was forcing myself through it. I couldn't remember why. But when I played through Black Mesa I got excited, and went back to play HL2 again and now I remember why.

Half-life was touted for never taking control away from the player but really what made the story telling style work was the narrative itself was first-person. It never explained poo poo. It just showed you everything. Nobody ever said "aliens are invading" that was apparent because of all of the aliens, or "marines are here to kill us" that was real clear the first time they tried to shoot your dick off, or "this alien invasion is huge and what you saw in the complexes wasn't even scratching the surface", that was clear from the firefights between the heavy military equipment and huge rear end aliens you had to get through on the surface. It brought you to those conclusions without explaining them - the way it would really happen if you were in that situation. Better yet it managed to integrate a narrative with the gameplay.

Then HL2 added in dumb cut scenes, but they weren't "cut scenes" because you could look around while Alyx and D0g bullshitted for 5 minutes. It's full of Morgan Freeman type explanations of everything, complete with overlong uninteresting exposition and Alyx going "teehee" at you with lovey dovey eyes until I get mad it won't let you loving dome her. It felt like watching Saving Private Ryan except with a scene in the middle of the Normandy invasion where Tom Hanks falls into a crater and another solider talks to him about fascism, marxism, the human condition, and the current operation and it's goals for 10 screen time minutes in the middle of it to make sure the audience gets it.

The original half-life was so good and I think half-life 2 got such acclaim just because so many people wanted to like it but it forgot (or never realized) what made the narrative style in 1 work so well. It wasn't never losing control it was explaining the key points of the plot without having someone standing there actually explaining it.

Anyway buy Black Mesa and I'll take a number 3 medium with Sprite.

I've been saying this for YEARS. I always get poo poo on whenever I bring up that HL2 is a bad sequel, since it has this crazy cult following, but it is. It's not necessarily a bad game, but as a sequel to HL1 it was a disappointment.

The other side to the coin for HL2 was that in HL1 you were fighting a good mix of enemies, aliens, zombies, soldiers, lots of cool designs. In HL2 you fight the Combine. And some headcrabs. And some Antlions for that one level and then it's back to more loving combine.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Any of you goons seen/care about Outriders That was announced over the last couple days? It's a 1-3 player Co-op TPS/RPG from People Can Fly and it looks like it has potential. Potential to either be pretty neat or to be Anthem-esque.

There's a video with a bunch of info and several trailers interspersed with an annoying man talking to a couple of devs here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dQw2-9WWs

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

haldolium posted:

Black Mesa comes out today as final version with Xen.

Having played a couple of the beta versions of the end product in the last month or so, I have to say:

Black Mesa is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD.

As a huge HL1 fan, it was worth the long wait for this. It’s really a fantastic product and everyone should take a look.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Fallom posted:

Did they remove the two hour crate escalator section at the end?

Not sure which crate escalator part you are referring to but the entire thing has been streamlined. And then some new stuff added. A lot of Xen is literally brand new with visual callbacks to parts of the old game. The Gonarch fight/chase is a much bigger thing now and more of a spectacle.

Orv posted:

Actually they replaced it with a four hour crate seesaw section.

Hey, Seesaws are the cutting edge of gameplay*

*circa 2003

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Fallom posted:

the version of black Mesa Xen I played through had a massively boring and lengthy crate escalator sequence after all the pretty outdoors stuff

I thought the whole thing should’ve been removed before the full release

Oh you mean the whole factory section with the conveyor belts? I dunno if that fits the description of “crate escalator”, and I enjoyed that section too, tho the early version had one part where you were getting quite heavily sniped by the flying Controllers and was quite challenging. Not sure if the final version has changed that but I can’t imagine the entire segment being removed.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

That part is very clearly based on part of Interloper in the original game. The Black Mesa version is still miles better than the original, but the whole concept doesn’t lend to the absolute best gameplay, granted. I really enjoyed that they broke up the conveyor belt stuff with the little side puzzles and mini boss rooms to open up doors etc to progress.

Those also teach you an important mechanic for later boss fights.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I enjoyed all of Black Mesa but I’m also one of those people who enjoys all of Half Life 2. Even that part you hate.

I actually didn’t dislike any specific part of HL2, it was more several high level design decisions I was disappointed with. It’s not a bad game, but I felt it wasn’t the best sequel to Half-life we could have gotten.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Aphex- posted:

As someone who played Black Mesa back in around 2012 when it was released without Xen, is it worth checking it out again? Have they updated the rest of the game or did it just take them 8 years to try and un-gently caress Xen?

Yeah there have been quite a few minor updates and polish, and the Surface Tension stuff which is good. I’d say if you haven’t played it in 7-8 years definitely dive in again. The Xen parts are very much worth it, and it’s not exactly a chore to play through the Earthside part.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Whoo

Just beat DOOM 2016 on Nightmare. Got that in under the wire.

Think ultimately Ultra Violence is more my speed but it is done.

Same. I played through on Nightmare but UV it’s where it’s at for me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and it was excellent throughout. 18 and a half hours playtime in my save.

I’m at 98% total completion, largely because I have been unable to find who needs a small bag for the Hand to Hand quest. I bought all Lupo’s upgrades and still have a mountain of spirit light so the reward wasn’t an issue, but I’d like to finish that at some point. I must have spoken to all but one of the NPCs at this point and I have no idea who I need to go to.

Still really love the movement in this game, it’s a huge joy just getting around and styling on enemies.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Horizon Zero Dawn came out on PC this year.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I didn’t see any of the Breakpoint drama. I played the Beta demo thing and felt after playing it that I didn’t need to play the full game because i had played enough already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

municipal shrimp posted:

Watch dogs 2 had one of the best asymmetrical multiplayer modes ever in a open world game. You could invade other player's worlds and hack them. You'd have to stay within a 300 ft radius for about 2 minutes or so while the other player was alerted that they were being hacked. The thing is before you start hacking the other player gets no notice that you're there and you look like just any other civilian. My favorite tactic was stealing one of the super common work trucks and parking in the street where the player was to begin my hack. You could duck down in your car so it looked like no one was driving and the only way the other player could spot you is if they tracked your signals with their drone. You could also disrupt the player while you were hacking them by calling the cops on them or having a local gang show up. If the player was running around with a weapon out to kill you the cops would immediately open fire in them when they showed up. Even if you were discovered by the other player you still get a chance to escape to a certain random point on the map which was always just chaos.

This was in both WD games and I'm hoping it's still in Legion because high tech online hide and seek is the best poo poo.