Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm looking for a roguelike/dungeon crawler to play online with my boo. Nothing too complicated with too many numbers and stats and stuff. No character creation. No continuing story or human-designed maps. No worrying about whether my ice bonus on my lightning character's laser sceptre does aether frostburn damage on undead dark-types while parrying a reverse buff-burst. 2d or 3d, but 2d is usually a lot tighter gameplay for me. I'm not a serious gamer like my boo is--they play fancy stuff and my favorite PC games are Spelunky and Stardew Valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

graventy posted:

I haven't played any of the games from the last Humble Bundle I bought, but that doesn't stop me from making dumb purchases. Here are some extra keys. Merry Christmas.

Jotun: Valhalla Edition
0R9BX-WAYR9-KN6*E
how many turtle doves did you get

Mages of Mystralia
taken
how many french hens did i give you

Speed Brawl
taken
how many calling birds

Castle Story
taken
that's a lot of swans you got

Knight Squad
0PKDV-E*LQA-PJYMW
what will you do with all these milking maids

Quoting this in case those two are still unclaimed (for anybody, I'm not getting them)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I played a lot of a game on my boo's account (remote two player thing) then I bought the game and it doesn't run well on my computer. They don't want to refund it. The steam app records me as having played it for many hours but I only played the copy that i bought for ten minutes. Other than that we were playing on their copy. Is there any further recourse with them?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is steam gonna let me install and run games on a second PC? It's a virtual PC, and I already tried this through Nvidia Geforce but I'm going another route. It will look like account sharing to their servers, I think... will I have a hard time?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Yo, what's the best pool game on Steam for an IRL pool player? I want to play one-fifteen rules, so it would need customizable rules or manually spottable balls, and internet two player. I doubt any game would have one-fifteen as one of the default games.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oye, can anybody help me remember a game? It was a 2D top-down survival game set in the Scandinavian wilderness. I played it like five years ago and it was probably at least five years old at that point. It looked like it was from circa 1995. It was a gather stuff, make camp, kill moose, don't freeze to death kind of game. I just played Wayward, which kind of reminded me of it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tildes posted:

UnReal World? It’s from literally closer to 1995 but has been developed continually since then, and is set in Scandinavia. http://www.unrealworld.fi/

That's it, thank you. What an unfortunate name! I tried to google it but didn't get it because it suggested unreal world but I thought that was like unreal tournament or something.

And, poo poo! It's been out since 1992 and there's still no co-op mode?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm a very picky video game player and I've been trying to find something I really like after going through Divinity OS2 a number of plays. Middle-earth shadow of war is quite a pleasant surprise, I really like it so far. Even though I'm not a particular aficionado of the genre or Tolkein. It's like a spider-man game, really. The very free movement feels fairly acrobatic (which IMO is a rarity in non-2D games.) It might be kind of a babby game for people in this thread since it's very you know, mainstream, polished, and accessible--not even too hard on hard mode--but I'm sold on it largely due to the basic mechanics of moving around being fun. It's a breath of fresh air after the punishment of Dark Souls III, where you can't jump off a stepladder without dying and you can't get anywhere from anywhere.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

It pretty much is, yes. The Middle-Earth games and especially the Arkham Batman games share a lot of DNA with each other. It's personally one of my favourite games of its generation, I spent a lot of time loving with orcs and figuring out better ways to gently caress with orcs.

I don't know why, but it really bothers me that the main character is a fairly stout guy, when with that movement he should be like a tall guy with a swimmer's body or a female rogue-type.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't think it's used as a slur or even to describe real living people? It's just a Japanese name for a genre of horny media. From this American's pov.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If I liked Resident Evil IV but I'm not particularly into the genre, will I like Resident Evil V?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Somebody spent 2 days trying to teach me how to play Endless Space 2--which is like Risk, in space, but bigger and stupider--and I'm mad.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

It's the Dreamcast layout. Sega did not copy Nintendo, but Microsoft copied Sega when they stepped into the console market.

If those motherFUCKERS had just copied nintendo the matter would be SETTLED. It would be settled and decided forever and everybody would be FINE and now it's NEVER gonna be settled

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If I hate most games except Divinity OS2, will I like Wasteland 3?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Depends on what you enjoy about CRPGs. I liked Wasteland 3's combat enough to finish the game but I thought the character writing and "humor" were several magnitudes below DOS2. It's a relatively short game, however. I think it took me less than 30 hours to complete.

I play em for the combat.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is anything on the Steam Capcom sale (other than Res Evil 4) a don't-miss? I've heard the dog painting one is pretty good

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hey, does anybody want to play Baldurs Gate III with me on GOG? I tried playing with some Steam people, but it looks like there's no crossplay yet.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Gromit posted:

Saoshyant gifted me a copy of Yoku's Island Express and I just busted out a quick couple of hours to give it a test run.

Overall I'm enjoying it as it's pretty peaceful with relaxing music and cute characters. Liking pinball helps, but it's not exactly a pinball sim so the mechanics there are pretty light. You can activate bumpers that push the ball around, and suck up things that let you blast through to new areas. There are the usual tricky shots and hidden parts that reward the keen-eyed and skilled. So yeah, certainly worth a look!

The game is high-effort and stuff, and unique, so it seems like a big missed opportunity because there are no pinball physics at all. Pinball serves only as a theme, not as gameplay. Bummer.

-

This extremely picky gamer echoes all recommendations for Into the Breach. It's basically one puzzle, where you place markers around a small grid, and try to move or destroy the AI's markers. The board could have been made as an 8x8character ASCII display--I like that simplicity--with enough chesslike forethinking (my brain stops at weighing two different combinations of three moves) to keep you very engaged. I only just got it but the level of challenge seems chef's kiss. I'm usually thinking "Ah hell yeah I'm nailing it" for a while, then the "oh god dammit!" comes and game over. The package is pretty polished and tight in my opinion. Plug in your controller, it's better with controller.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

OzFactor posted:

this sense of bewildering atemporality and non-euclidian space

I got some of this in Dark Souls III, and was pretty impressed by the avant-garde and challenging level design, and after about 15 minutes I realized that area's walls and floors just weren't rendering.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: ^^^ the DS2 previews showed a game where darkness was a real game mechanic and you would go get a torch to explore in a castle cellar or whatever. If you design a game like that and then let players ignore the lighting system or need for a torch by just turning up lighting/contrast, you've hosed up royally as a developer. You're basically giving people the option between "game looks good but I have to deal with annoying torch mechanics" or "game looks lovely but at least I can loving see"

A game tells me "turn down your brightness until you can't see the dragon on the left" and i'm like WHAT YOU THINK I'M A TOTAL FUCKIN IDIOT?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Joe Man posted:

There's also Original Sin 2 in my backlog....

Then what the hell are you doing here??

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Take one

Into the breach: fun mechs vs aliens puzzles on a small grid. Quite good!
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=mUdspbGe8rmUHpxF

Wargroove: basically anime wargames chess on a bigger grid. Quite fun and polished, good if you like chess! https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=b4qVRAWxExxChyaK

Undertale: I didn't like this one because I felt like it was fixing to be emotionally manipulative 0IM94-QBDET-J0TFH

Post if you redeem one so people don't waste their clicks

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Heck yeah! I nabbed Into the breach a game I've been dying to play for like ever, so huge thanks to you for this treat. Oh and also for using a humble link which probably slowed down the keybots a tad so my aging reflexes could nab in time.

Go for 'buildings immune' upgrade with the electric team, that's fun.

Belan posted:

Thanks!

Hit me up if you want to play co-op on wargroove.

I got this bundle ( https://www.humblebundle.com/humble-heal-covid-19-bundle )mostly for Baba... which one should I play after that? I'm thinking bioshock, saints row, crusader kings, just because I've heard of 'em. Any thoughts?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 13, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How's the driving in gtaiv? I have it but never played. I'm enjoying driving around in saints row iii (fun game) but the vehicles/driving system is kinda shallow and lame.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

K8.0 posted:

He didn't ask. GTA 5 has really good driving mechanics, but the car air control mechanics present in prior titles are amped up to way over-the-top levels and car damage is cranked way down, just a few of the unfortunate ways single player was compromised for GTA:O. Overall it's probably the best casual driving model ever.

Why not make the multiplayer better for multiplayer and the single player better for singple player

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Very straightforward :shepface:

This is how all the NPC storylines are in dark souls iii

sponges posted:

How is the Baldurs Gate 3 demo?I’ve never played the originals BG games but I like Larian Studios stuff. I know it’s just a demo.

It's better than most full games! If you like Larian you'll probably love it. Might as well get it early so you can play with the funky stuff that will be fixed for the full release. It's pretty drat big for a demo too.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

There's a Baldurs Gate 3 demo? All I can see is the early access version.

Dame sifference. There's no free demo, just the full-price EA.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

OgNar posted:

I was completely disappointed with it.
And yes I do understand its EA but $60 for what was there was crazy.
Maybe because I had never ending problems with my camera flipping out in the tutorial and onward whenever there were multiple levels.
The camera would never settle on the level I was on and continuously flipped back and forth between the two.
It became frustrating to play and finally just got uninstalled.
And I was so looking forward to it.
Plus I think twice when trying to get a team up we all got ready only to find out 1 person was on a Mac and I dont think it was known at the time that there was no crossplay.

e:It looks like they still havent implemented this yet.
And dont state it.
They simply state crossplay works with the same version, which is a hidden way to say that pc/mac have 2 different versions and dont work together.

Yeah, I mean I was gonna pay $60 anyway later, so it didn't matter if I just bought it now. I agree that the camera is garbage. I'm frankly worried that they'll be able to fix it at all. I'm sure they would have foreseen that the camera would not agree with the high-verticality battle design, so maybe we can hope that they've been developing a camera for it while using DS2's camera as a stopgap? I dunno.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

pentyne posted:

I bought the EA and played it right away, not really impressed all that much, but the game still doesn't release until at least oct 2021, more likely 6 months after that if their previous EAs were any indicator.

You're buying an incomplete game because you want to play what they have and support the dev. I put a couple hours into it when it first launched and didn't really enjoy it, but it'll possibly be an entirely different game in most ways by the time they finish. I don't even plan to play it at "launch" but wait a few months so any early issues are resolved.

Even with what's there, it's the first 1/3 of the game and people are putting in 20+ hours a character run through the Act 1 content. It's kind of a weird "how often do you want to experiment/replay this game" like Pathfinder WOTR is doing. Only WOTR is $120 for the closed beta which is way too much even to play a a little more then half of a 100hr game.

I think it's worth doing EA just to figure out which class you like. They're all real different. I would never have gone with a fighter to start but I think it's the most fun. If I had chosen a cleric and been stuck with it for an entire game it would not have been fun.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

sebmojo posted:

this is interesting, why do you like the fighter?

Goblin shotput.

Plus, they're the only class that can WIELD ANY loving WEAPONS, sigh.

I usually like magicians but the consumable spell slot system turns cocks into capons. I've learned about DnD rules from the game, and... well, god. I'll start complaining if you let me. Trying to make a video game by a tabletop game's ruleset is a fool's errand. They're doing a good job, though! Like I said, I'm a big fan of the game.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Can somebody give me a hand with my Switch pro controller? It stopped working when I rebooted. Device manager does not recognize it. Control panel does recognize it. the "test" bit lights up like Vegas like I'm smashing all the buttons. Shadow does recognize it as a switch controller but Steam in shadow sees an Xbox One controller. SCRATCH THAT, now Shadow recognizes it as an xinput controller and Steam in shadow still sees Xbox1 controller. I tried disabling and enabling in control panel, rebooting and all that. I tried updating the drivers. If I get in a game in Steam-in-Shadow, it responds to the sticks and 2 of the buttons. If I play a game in Steam on my PC it works fine.

edit: it sorted itself out. again. for now. again

Mescal fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 19, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I swear to god there’s someone who works at Valve who can only get an erection if he knows his program is messing with people’s controllers without them knowing why.

It’s loving stupid the way Steam can make alterations to settings like that without asking you, or even telling you that it’s doing it. Or without you knowing that it can.

sing it, sister

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sailor Dave posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029780/Going_Medieval/
https://i.imgur.com/EGi7Vyf.mp4
Interesting 3D Rimworld/Dwarf Fortess-esque game that just popped up on my radar. Probably more Dwarf Fortess than anything, since it has some really cool deep digging, building, and colonist mechanics. It releases June 1st, but there's an open beta until May 24th.

Hey, thanks for posting this. What's this genre of game called? I've never gotten into one before, but I'm really feeling this one so far. Should be really nice when they sand the edges off. I dunno who chose the hotkeys but... anyway, I'm liking it. Y'all should check it out.

Re: saints row iii remaster, I've been playing and enjoying the original release for the first time. It is hella fun! It's like... this'll sound dumb, but it feels like an indulgent throwback to a golden era there never was where having fun was the one and only goal of video games. How refreshing! For the remaster, job one would be making it so your character goes in the direction you point when you're running around. The pedestrian control system is frustrating in a firefight. And: "Press Y to use human shield" presses Y "You have chosen get in car. Your car has exploded. Your corpse is in parking lot."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

Can somebody give me a hand with my Switch pro controller? It stopped working when I rebooted. Device manager does not recognize it. Control panel does recognize it. the "test" bit lights up like Vegas like I'm smashing all the buttons. Shadow does recognize it as a switch controller but Steam in shadow sees an Xbox One controller. SCRATCH THAT, now Shadow recognizes it as an xinput controller and Steam in shadow still sees Xbox1 controller. I tried disabling and enabling in control panel, rebooting and all that. I tried updating the drivers. If I get in a game in Steam-in-Shadow, it responds to the sticks and 2 of the buttons. If I play a game in Steam on my PC it works fine.

edit: it sorted itself out. again. for now. again

Hey, guess what it broke itself again. It works on my PC but not in Shadow my virtual PC. Using steam in both. Tried disabling controller support in steam, didn't make a difference. Dead Cells seems to think that I'm pressing keyboard buttons when I press controller buttons, though it does recognize that I have a controller connected. I've been having intermittent problems with my setup since I set it up, and never actually solved them--it just ends up kind of working eventually, then ends up breaking eventually. If you help I'll give you a code for one of the crappy bundle games I haven't activated!

Edit: okay okay it's working again now, after I opened shadow through steam then disabled steam controller support in shadow's steam, which I might have to do for every single game now?

BY THE WAY thanks to those who recommended Sleeping dogs for fun vroomvroom car driving, I got a copy and I'ma check it out now.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 23, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

rain dogs posted:

Archers and walls: two great tastes that taste great together.

I'm really liking it so far, thanks to whoever posted about it first. They really need to add a loooot more research and items and stuff, and the pawn interaction is barely there. Building poo poo can be kinda wonky sometimes. I had fun with it this weekend though

Yeah, archers are where it's at so far. I started a lil thread for this game. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968446 My sweetheart bought me a copy of rimworld since I like that game, we'll see how that one goes

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Of course it made a generic dude when they averaged them. Same happen if you average out a bunch of portraits of people

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Might be a good time to ask... I played many many hours in DSIII but ended up hating it more and more. I really like demon's souls remake. drat it's good. Just played the first couple areas, I don't think I made it to a real boss. I have a copy of DSII...am I likely to end up resenting the time spent, like I did with III?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How do I shaman in Shadowrun Hong Kong? I was able to summon a spirit once in the tutorial... I think I clicked on something in the environment but I don't remember what it was. My character has one spell, the cobra thing, and it's displayed but nothing happens when click. At least one more spell is "unlocked" but nowhere to be seen. Do I have to buy my magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Kanfy posted:

By "the cobra thing" I assume you mean the Cobra totem, but that's a passive ability you selected so you don't use it. The Shaman starting kit should also include the Haste I spell and a spirit summoning fetish which is an item, provided you actually put at least a few points into the shaman skills like Conjuring at character creation. The rest you'll have to buy or find, yeah.

The ? button in the UI opens up the explanation stuff, Shaman and summoning things is in there too. I will say that one of the party members is also a shaman and unlike the player, doesn't have to spend very precious money on one-time summoning items, so they tend to have an easier time at it. I'd probably recommend a mage for a beginner, they're strong with a lot of spell variety and there is no other dedicated mage in the party, but you can definitely beat the game with a shaman too.

I also strongly recommend using the Hong Kong Bugfix Compilation from Nexusmods or Steam Workshop, HK is a good game but was left pretty unpolished and that'll fix up a lot of the bigger issues.

Thanks. And drat. My class has to buy its main attack thing every time I want to use it? ...