Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

vaginite posted:

How does this gamestate even happen??
Black advances the pawn then the king, white advances two pawns, black pawn eats white pawn, second white pawn eats black pawn, king eats white pawn, King flails until checkmate. I assume either black had never played chess before or was just being intentionally dumb, because advancing your king like that is obviously suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Gromit posted:

No doubt, but if that one part of it is making you not play the entire game, this helps you over that hurdle.
As someone who found the morse code part the most frustrating, I never found the decoding speed to be nearly as much of an issue as correctly counting dots and distinguishing spaces between the letters.

It was a fun time overall, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

NikkolasKing posted:

So there is no way to skip this stupid "allocating disk space" part is there?

I mentioned earlier I got a USB drive to install FFXV Windows Edition to. The thing said 128GB but apparently that's actually only 117 GB. And even though it says you only need 100GB of storage on the FFXV page, I ran out of allocated disk space at the last second of the download. I needed something like a pitiful 80 MB more. But this is a fresh flash drive and nothing at all to delete to free up any space.

That was very frustrating as I have apparently wasted money and time.
You might be able to install on a hard drive and move the installation to the USB.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A decent number of people will wait out a 1 year exclusive if they're on the fence. No one is waiting out a 3-5 year exclusive. However, that getting that 3-5 year old exclusive on other platforms might bring in new fans, some of whom might jump on to your platform to not wait 3-5 years on the newer release in the series.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Objective Action posted:

S?ord Legacy Omen 36C?3-WCGNP-2YAZQ
Thanks

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

caldrax posted:

You just said Sekiro didn't respect your time. It's a nonsense concept. You're responsible for your own time.
Developers can make mistakes. I haven't played Sekiro so I'll speak generally, but there's a difference between a game making something take a bunch of time because it's part of what they're trying to do, and making something take a bunch of time because the devs didn't consider it being something people would deal with or because it doesn't bother them or because they didn't think of it, or because they couldn't find a way to make it better or...

A lot of the ways games don't respect time aren't about the things they expect you to do in gameplay, but rather the way they deal with structure and interface (reloading, inventory management, walking speed, mapping, controls, etc) All of those can be intentional, but most of the time they're just imperfect design or execution.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Floodkiller posted:

I don't feel arguing about loading screens on death in Sekiro is really valid, since it is often doing that to match console and engine limitations of needing to reset states of things (the time it takes to sit at a shrine and reset enemies that way is about the same as the loading screen is for me).
Assuming you wanted to let people jump right back in without loading, there's no need to reset states, just respawn right there with both you and the enemy at full health keep everything else in the world state the same. Those console/engine limitations are due to implementation choices (which may or may not be design choices) not because there aren't other ways to do it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Im_Special posted:

IIRC, reviews aren't counted unless you buy directly from Steam, so all those positive reviews you see are of offsite keys activated/devsofgame/friends&familyofdevs who got the game as far as Steam is concerned, for free and it won't go towards the percentage.
You can see that breakdown, and only 2 of the 17 reviews are keys. The small amount of reviews means that each negative reviews gets a lot of weight.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Memnaelar posted:

If you already own the base BTech and, say, one DLC, can you activate the Mercenary edition or will something on Steam gum that up? I doubt it'd leave me a giftable copy of the base game but I'm wondering what the likely outcome would be.
You won't get a giftable copy, but it should work just fine. Every activation/purchase just adds a checkmark in the Db for those products, steam doesn't care if you have multiple checkmarks for the same product.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The trick is to get in the time-limited demo promotion to get eyeballs, then when it's over announce that you're leaving the demo up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ambaire posted:

Regarding steam review scores, has anyone ever done a study to determine how accurately they reflect the opinions of everyone who's ever played a game?

For instance, let's say a game has 60% positive scores, at 10000 reviews total. 6000 positive, 4000 negative. However, of the people who enjoyed it, only 30% wrote a review, compared to the people who disliked it at 70%.

The actual numbers would be 20,000 positive and 5714 negative, or in percentages, 78% positive and 22% negative.

Could be the other way, too...
Not only would this be hugely cumbersome to do, it would also not be all that interesting. For most games the difference is probably not very big. If you had the resources to do such a thing it'd be much more interesting to get a big sample of people who do not have the game, have them play it, and ask for their thoughts. Review scores as a descriptive tool aren't nearly as interesting a question as review scores as a predictive tool because the self selection bias in choosing to buy a game is much stronger than the self selection bias in choosing to review it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

https://twitter.com/chriswade__/status/1242159248483721218
I want to know what this guy considers the #1 single player game on that list, because I see at least 10 unless single player means "has no multiplayer mode at all."

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bruceski posted:

Quite nice for 2 bucks, but is there anywhere in the UI that says how many people you can take on a team?
Looks like 4. The second to last screenshot has 4 player characters and the battle ones all have 4 that say ALLY as opposed to varying amounts of enemies.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're actually playing a hyper sophisticated VR game right now
Yeah but it's having a glitch where I'm stuck on this one boring tiny map with little to do, with the occasional supermarket cutscene which isn't even completed cause they got bored half way through and just copy pasted empty shelves.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I have no idea if Alyx is good, but I've tried to watch a few youtube videos and the FOV is so constrained I start to get motion sickness. Is that part of the VR experience or a side effect of however the video is captured?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'd be interested in this

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

There's no reason to trust Pitchford given his history, but that headline makes it sound like he just said nope, not giving you money, when he just gave them less than expected saying BL3 didn't make as much as they hoped.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Those are physical and also priced above face value.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

nekoxid posted:

So uh... I just received two card drops from a game I did not started. Is this a thing now on Steam?
(I checked my accound data, and everything checks out, no access from other places, no email from Steam Guard.)
It happens sometimes if a game you've played before adds cards. They're essentially backdated card drops. Is it World of Goo?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

What was it? When a cosmetic sells for $10 that already seems absurd to me, $920 is mindblowing.

Edit: Oh it says it there, a CS-GO gun skin.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah there are a bunch of email preferences. I think the very last one which is both really wordy and vague is the one that enables this.

quote:

Game-specific event notifications
Steam ocassionally sends event reminders for specific games in your Steam library or that you follow. You can opt out of notifications from individual games by marking 'ignore' on their store page, or by adding it on the page below, or by following the opt-out link from the game's event email.

Krazyface posted:

I got it too; mine specifically said "Because you have played Fallout games in the past". Do they think the problem with 76 is that people haven't heard of it?
Maybe they think that people just didn't want their bethesda client (which is true) but are otherwise very interested (which is false) so it's more a notice that it's on steam rather than that it exists at all.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

As someone who a few months started playing the ACs in order (I'm through I, II and brotherhood) The first is definitely the weakest, but it's still functional and much shorter and less sprawling than the other two. If you don't own it you shouldn't buy it, but if you have it it's worth checking it out as an intro to the rough elements of the gameplay and the story. I understand why people say to skip it but, as long as you don't get sucked into trying to chase the worthless collectibles (the game thankfully makes it very easy to ignore even for a completionist like me) or insist on clearing side missions you don't need, it's a pretty breezy game.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lord Lambeth posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/sega-says-persona-5-listing-for-pc-on-amazon-france-is-an-error/

"That listing is an error and we’re looking into having it taken down and how it happened."
*sad trombone noises*
That wording is not a no. It's consistent with "there will be a listing, but it's not supposed to show up yet."

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

quote:

“The listings are not accurate. We have made no announcements to bring these games to PC.”
LOL, at that wording. It's not hard to say "we have no plans to release these games on PC." In fact, that is the usual wording, not "we have made no announcements."

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Outer Wilds is coming to steam in two months. If you've waited this long you can probably wait until then.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Stickman posted:

Doesn't look like it's free to own permanently, but could be a nice gentle introduction if you're interested in picking up words for any of those languages!
Sounds like it is. The game is going free for those languages and all the others are DLC

quote:

Starting today, all three of these languages are being bundled into a new "Free Edition" and given away! This time it isn't just a promotional free weekend, it's a permanent ordeal!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It was 20% off a month ago, and also for the winter sale: https://steamdb.info/sub/402134/

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

GreatGreen posted:

And not a single shot of the UI, game modes, or what playing the game might actually look like.

Cowcaster posted:

it's chess

Samuringa posted:

It's chess

Mordja posted:

It's chess.
You might think that, and yet the most helpful steam review:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

D1E posted:

The FIRST person to quote this post and reply with their choice will get a PM with the STEAM key for that game:

Option 1 - Jurassic World Evolution
Option 2 - XCOM2
Option 3 - Chess Ultra

To be clear - I have all of these games already and one choice remaining, so YOU pick which one you want and I'll claim it for you.

Option 1 - Jurassic World Evolution please

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I looked at a review and noticed it said "Product refunded "
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Fizz_Fizzles/recommended/605140/
Is that new? I've never seen that before and I've seen negative reviews with under an hour played that made me think they'd fall into that category.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Leal posted:

Those prices are baffling. You can spend a dollar to get 3 tokens to play 3 matches. Or you can pay 2 for unlimited play for a full week. For a dollar more then the 20 token price, you can get a full month of unlimited play.

E: Why would you ever buy the 10 tokens when you can save a dollar and buy the 7 day pass.
That's intentional. It's to get people to buy the weekly/monthly passes instead of the tokens and see them as good value and like they're getting a deal. Though presumably if you're so good that you can keep winning a large percentage of the time but don't play too much maybe those tokens can last you longer. The whole thing falls under the weight of no one being interested in any of it, but the concept of bad low prices to make the bigger thing more favourable is not unusual. Check out grocery store deals for different size packages and you'll often find something twice as big selling for 10% more and regularly find sales where the bigger thing costs less than the smaller thing, or if the smaller things are on sale the reverse and buying two smalls costs less than one big despite having more.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God I hope they have some kind of retroactive points.
It's probably just a temporary sales reward thing like they've done the last couple of sales.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cowcaster posted:

striving, and sometimes fighting
wondering just what a dumpleton is
Spoilered because I'm not sure everyone is ready for that knowledge.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuringa posted:

As someone posted a few weeks ago, today is the last time Chrono.gg is adding new games to its coin shop, which will be closed permanently in 1 month, so spend that spare change, if you still have any.
Site hasn't been loading for over 20 minutes, so good luck beating out the bots and all the other people trying to get the potentially one good game.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuringa posted:

As someone posted a few weeks ago, today is the last time Chrono.gg is adding new games to its coin shop, which will be closed permanently in 1 month, so spend that spare change, if you still have any.

These are up and will be gone in a minute.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuringa posted:

Now I really want to know what was the actual fish management game that people went nuts over.
Was it this?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do you like fishing? Well, the No Man's Sky of fishing (with very limited graphics) just launched.

Intergalactic Fishing!

Travel to a billion procedurally generated lakes and catch fish! "Each fish in the lake is individually simulated. Fish behave differently based on their species, size, habits, lure preferences, time of day, their surroundings, etc."

Design your own lures. Participate in tournaments, or fish contracts, or side quests. Or follow the main quest which seems to be about overthrowing a big evil megacorporation through fishing? I don't know, I'm only an hour in, but the game seems pretty chill.

Developer rundown video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3m0WD3--9s

It's $13.49 on launch sale, and it seems like a neat little thing so far.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheManWithNoName posted:

My free month of Humble Choice coupon from the Covid bundle expired today and I forgot to use it. gently caress.
Email their support. I don't know how they are now but they used to be very good about helping out with that sort of thing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fallom posted:

That’s gonna show up in a lot of monthly boxes
"monthly boxes" is a really weird euphemism I've never heard before.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Orv posted:

Denuvo does nothing to your experience as someone who bought the game except for the one time that the developer implemented it wrong and it tanked the games performance. It doesn't matter if a game has it, it shouldn't be a hill anyone sane ever dies on.
So why are you intent on dying on this hill? There are plenty of games, if someone doesn't want to support a particular business practice there's nothing wrong with that. Devs using Denuvo make a choice, presuming that the delay in piracy afforded by it brings in more money than the customers who are turned off by it plus the hefty fee Denuvo charges for it. Maybe they're right maybe they're not, but they're free to make that choice just as consumers are free to add to the other side of the balance by being a small drop in the counterweight against that choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Det_no posted:

Except perhaps facilitating the release of games like Persona 4 Golden, because publishers feel safe knowing lots of people won't just pirate it immediately.
Yeah, it's not like pirates could play the 8-12 year old game right now since it was released on notoriously piracy free platforms like PS2 and PS vita.