Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HopperUK posted:

It is very important to note that sometimes in Eastshade, an NPC will ask you to paint them a picture to hang in their house, and then THEY DO IT. They put the picture in their house.

Eastshade owns. The one thing I would suggest to new players though is to buy the coat and the bike as soon as you can. It's such a quaint little game and I wish there were more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

anilEhilated posted:

I'm very much in the same boat but I still crave some cooperative shooting. How does Destiny 2 compare? That sounds like it would at least be fun to explore as opposed to Tom Clancy's Vanilla Apocalypse #2468.

Destiny 2's gunplay is lightyears more fun than The Division. The environments are also more novel since it's not just a post apocalyptic city (although there is one of those sort of in there).

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Cowcaster posted:

gonna take a stab in the dark and guess you ran through the story mode once, most likely with friends, and dropped it afterwards?

This is me except I play solo. I even played through Diablo 3 story mode once and that was enough for me. I have no idea how people play that game over and over again, that's a lot of clicking.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I mean the red army are bad but only because Yuri mind controlled the Russian president and invaded America so it's not really their fault if you think about it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
As someone who played Black Mesa back in around 2012 when it was released without Xen, is it worth checking it out again? Have they updated the rest of the game or did it just take them 8 years to try and un-gently caress Xen?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That's good to know, thanks! I probably will play through it again, HL1 is one of my all time favs so it's always cool to revisit it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is it just me or does Ori 2 look kinda blurry? Like the text and the graphics in general are just not sharp. I've tried changing resolution, checked that the resolution scaling is 100% and it doesn't make a difference. The graphics options are barebones so I can't even see if it's some crappy AA doing it. It's kind of distracting.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Punching apart the shacks in the first few hours of Crysis in strength mode never got old.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hi it's me, the one person who liked Saint's Row 3 better than 2.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If you've got a HOTAS you can easily play Elite in VR, most sticks nowadays have more than enough buttons you need for 99% of controls.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I mean.

One of the reasons fire physics are scaled back in later Far Cry games is that they're not set in a hot, dry savannah. Far Cry 3's meant to be set in a wet, tropical jungle island, 4 is set in the Himalayas where there's snow everywhere and 5's set in a fairly normal climate in Montana.

Like yeah it was primarily scaled back for performance reasons but it's not like there's no narrative reasons either.

Yeah, I loved the fire physics in 2. You set fires tactically to flush out enemies from outposts and it was so satisfying. It totally makes sense why it wasn't as much in the later games. Saying that though, I'm playing through New Dawn at the moment and when you set something on fire, it definitely does spread and burn a fair bit.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Infinite warfare was batshit crazy but really fun.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
New Dawn is definitely better than 5 but they waited criminally long to give you a double jump. Do the story until you get that then go off and have fun. Double jumps should be in every game.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DrNutt posted:

That Gary Jules cover is shite and the original song is perfect, Tears for Fears owns, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

:agreed:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Glad I held off on Shipbreakers for now from the sound of things. Higher resolutions not being supported is to be expected in EA but wow that time limit really puts a damper on things for me. I checked out Scott Manley's video and the gameplay seems really cool but like others I kind of just wanted to be able to play through the story and not have a restricting time limit. Yeah you can go back to ships after it's up but it just means you only get 15 minute chunks of gameplay before being chucked out again.

Hopefully they add the option to just remove the time limit for story mode too.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I more have an issue with it forcing your gameplay into 15 minute chunks of time. I know there's a sandbox mode but let me play the actual full game without it stopping every quarter of an hour.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

It DOES feel like there should be a better solution than that timer, but I don't know what it is. There needs to be a way to force the player to want to hurry up, and risk making mistakes, or all the tension of being in a lovely, unsafe, capitalistic work environ is lost.

Maybe if instead of a timer (or in addition to one for speedy bonus pay instead), maybe grappler/cutter fuel could be more limited or more costly to resupply mid-mission?

I just think if they gave bigger bonuses for finishing faster then that would work. You get paid more for finishing it quicker or removing certain modules quicker but just let me stay in the game and take my time if I want.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Outer Wilds is the pinnacle of exploration and discovery done right in games imo. No other game has hit that spot for me like Outer Wilds has. Easily one of my favourite games of all time, I wish I could play it for the first time again.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, if you don't have pressure, you have no reason to make mistakes, and gently caress up failure spirals are what make Shipbreaker's campaign fun imho. Sandbox is better for chill podcast poo poo.

Don't agree with this tbh. Games like dark souls don't need a timer to pressure you to make mistakes, neither do the majority of puzzle games. The challenge should be in the gameplay itself. Instead of using a timer to create pressure, why not make the act of shipbreaking itself more challenging. Ramp up the complexity of the ships to create tension. Or have mini 'timers' in each ship like depressurisation or reactor meltdowns that you can overcome, rather than just slapping an arbitrary blanket '15 minutes and you're done' timer. It just feels lazy to me.

I'm glad that they've given the option to turn it off though, that's cool.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is Remnant good as a single player game?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-dartmoor/

quote:

With that in mind, we are pleased to confirm that PC players will be able to carryover their current progression and unlocks from HITMAN 2 on Steam into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. We want to make it a seamless process for our PC players to enjoy HITMAN 3 on a different PC platform and continue to enjoy the benefits of our World of Assassination.

From the Hitman/Epic store concerns a while back.

Also that Dartmoor mission looks like it's going to absolutely rule.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm fine with motion blur and depth of field when they're used correctly but there's just no need whatsoever for chromatic aberration.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Acceptable in cutscenes, bad in gameplay. The first time I saw a DoF option I assumed it did the opposite because why would I want to use more processing power to make distant things look blurrier. Game graphics designers need to hear the same "games are not movies" mantra that the writers do.

I like it when you're taking to NPCs and things like that where you don't need to focus in the distance but yeah sometimes they decide to unfocus distant landscapes for no reason.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
loving hell the end of Death Stranding just goes on and on and on. It almost retroactively ruins the fun parts of the game just by being so... dull? After a while I just stopped paying attention and was just on my phone the whole time. Amelie is the absolute worst.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Taintrunner posted:

Teardown finally hit Early Access on Steam, if you want voxel based environmental destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov5GxFlHqUQ

The physics look really, really cool to gently caress around with. Already a modding community in the works.

I've been very excited about this since seeing the dev post some videos on twitter a while back. Just picked it up and played just over an hour and it rules so far. I honestly wasn't too bothered about the whole 'heist' aspect and was looking forward to the sandbox, (you unlock the sandbox by doing the missions) but the missions are actually a lot of fun, especially the last one I did. It had two objectives and two optional objectives as well, and planning out how to get every objective and make it out within 60 seconds was really rewarding. It involved cars, boats, a sledgehammer, multiple construction vehicles, spray paint to remind myself which way to go, a welding torch and a fire extinguisher.

I escaped with 4 seconds left, very satisfying.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Most of the arenas in Eternal were very large with multiple rooms and floors, I really don't get why people are so hung up on them.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Is the problem the word disfigured here? My impression from the wording was that it implied being disfigured turns you into a psycho was the problem.

That's how I took it too.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'd recommend normal for your first playthroughs of the Metro games. They're some of my favourite games ever, so good.

I've been playing through Resident Evil 7 for the first time and I'm about 5 hours in and I'm not sure if I like it or not. The parts where you're exploring the spooky house are cool, but loving hell the boss fights I've done so far all absolutely suck. No fun at all.

Also it doesn't help that the game doesn't support 21:9 natively either.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
No, especially because from what I've experienced from the RE games, they create tension by making the controls awful.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/StateOfDecay/status/1364871713607979011?s=20

:hmmyes:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Got a day off, just want to get stuck in the mud in Snowrunner but the epic launcher isn't letting me log in :negative:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
All this talk of Souls just really makes me want Elden Ring even more.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

1404 is the only one worth playing. The rest don't even compare.

Yup 1404 is the pinnacle.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sininu posted:

Anyone want these games?
Dirt 5
ADOM
Squad
Iron Danger
Fae Tactics
Shadows: Awakening
The Suicide of Rachel Foster
The Uncertain: Last Quiet Day

Just ask and I'll send them your way. Give me your steam id if you don't have PM's.

I'll take Dirt 5 if that's cool!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Lol if we're complaining about games wasting your time then the first 3 hours and last 10 hours of death stranding certainly do that. Absolute dogshit which is a shame because the time you spend in the second map actually playing the game was quite good. The whole 3rd act retroactively soured the rest of that game for me, loving awful. At least RDR2s story and characters were excellent, by the end of that game I was actually emotional and affected by it instead of annoyed and pissed off like in DS.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Palpek posted:

It's such a weird game when it comes to polish overall. You can tell that a huge team spent thousands of hours lovingly designing and modelling every car including extremely detailed reactive interiors, sounds and sick car entry animations and then the one person that was supposed to design driving itself, the gps system and racing got like a week for it tops and called in sick half-way through and then they just shipped the game.

The GPS was garbage but I loved the driving. Cars felt weighty and satisfying. I guess it might have been bad for mouse and keyboard but on controller I loved it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I never understood the appeal of Dead Space, I thought it was seriously overhyped for the time. Felt like just a bog standard third person jump scare machine, which people thought was innovative because you shot at the enemies limbs instead of the head. The story was boring and the gameplay was really mediocre.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

That chromatic aberration is absolutely horrible.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
CA is the dumbest 'artistic' choice devs decide to put into visuals. I'm fine with motion blur and bloom and all that when it's done well, but CA is never done well because it is 100% always a bad idea. Let's take this gorgeous looking game where we've invested years in nice visuals then just absolutely gently caress this poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Deakul posted:

But, I kind of hate driving around Britain lol, it feels like I've done so a bajillion times now with all of the video games set there.

Apart from Watch Dogs Legion which I didn't play because it looked garbage, what other games are set in modern Britain? Especially outside of London. Genuinely curious because i can't think of any.