Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oldstench posted:

So I've got a couple of funbux from selling cards and am thinking about picking up LISA: The Painful. Any opinions?

As others have said it's highly memorable, but, unpopular opinion: actually playing it is like pulling teeth. And I don't mean because of the story-related gut punches it throws at you, I mean the process of moving around like a corpulent glacier, getting blindsided by hidden/random damage triggers, jumped by enemies, dying because I'm always running out of healing items, and having to revert to the last save point I hit half an hour ago for the third time, is thematically appropriate but also the fastest way to make me never want to play your game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

A little late to the party but I've felt both sides of the argument regarding Heat Signature in my time playing it. It's very easy for the game to turn into a slog, and the full length of the campaign is entirely too much. There's also an awkward stretch in the middle where because of the scaling difficulty, you might end up with just mission after mission of armored enemies before you happen to have randomly gotten or been able to work your way to a node to unlock armor-piercing weapons. But, if you can push yourself to unlock the good stuff and start leaning into more difficult missions, challenge runs, or using disadvantaged random characters the game becomes a hair-raising riot. With the right loadout you can pull off ghost missions without a second thought (extreme-range key copiers are your best friend). It can still begin to feel like routine but you're never not at risk of dicking something up.

There's also the never-explained and practically unknown feature of dogfighting. To be fair it's not something I'd normally recommend, as it requires you to take a mission, sneak onto, fully neutralize and hijack a ship that isn't your target, and fly that to your target ship to shoot the hell out of it. Although once I used it to blow up the escape teleporter room for an assassination target and he was like two rooms over when I snuck onto the ship from the newly created hole.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Harry Privates posted:

I’ve had Rinworld on my wishlist for years, I should just stop being scared and get it right?

This is the first time I've seen any discount on it, though it's worth noting you can get a combo DRM-free and Steam key if you get it full price off their website.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I'm gonna go down my list and see if I can find older or less known stuff to recommend for cheap.

Creepy Castle ($2.49) - Exploration-based platformer with RPG-esque combat encounters, made to look like a Spectrum game. Cute aesthetic and you get to play across the campaigns of multiple characters. The first one you play as is a moth. NGL the basic gameplay is pretty rote, but I think the characters and story carry it. Just don't turn on the graphical filters if you value your eyes.
Cargo Commander ($0.49) - I think I was originally introduced to this via Steam threads actually, but it's fallen into obscurity. Be a space salvager, platform between random assortments of cargo pods that smash haphazardly into each other and contain incongruous gravity, loot what you can, and get the hell out before your time expires and a wormhole sucks you in with the rest of the scrap. Inhabits a similar camp to Heat Signature and Void Bastards in that it can get repetitive fast, but if the core gameplay loop clicks, it can really click. PS: Requires an online connection to avoid having to play a horribly gimped version of the game.
Rise To Ruins ($7.49) - Sort of like Populous meets contemporary town sims but also Tower Defense, with a pretty heavy layer of "you're going to loving die" difficulty (it was originally designed to be an endurance run with no way to win). Has some really endearing pixel particle effects and you get to wave your Hand of God around and pick up/drop off villagers, go rooting in the wilds for keys to unlock mysterious loot chests that sometimes show up, cast small miracles to regrow resources, summon worker golems, or cast largely ineffectual offensive spells when the sweeping horde of corruption monsters mercilessly assaults your settlement in the dead of night and half of them just go through your loving walls because they're ghosts and this game wants to hurt you emotionally.
Shatter ($0.99) - IMO tied with BreakQuest for best Breakout clones ever made. Costs 10 cents extra to get it with the OST. You'll want the OST.
Turbo Dismount ($0.99) - Anyone remember Truck Dismount or Stair Dismount? Anyway, send a dude hurtling into the lower stratosphere or oncoming traffic, try to get a high score for most bones broken, and save gifs of the best mishaps. It's largely just playing with RNG until something interesting happens and you can't save proper replays for some reason, but fun for a buck.
Hand Simulator ($0.99) - Obviously streamer bait, but it's like if Surgeon Simulator were multiplayer, made by Russians, and got a bunch of stupid, crazy, and glitchy PvP modes. They've added several new modes in the time it's been out (although they also removed a couple for unclear reasons), and if you have a couple friends who might be up for some janky fumblecore it can occupy an afternoon or three.
Ibb & Obb ($3.49 for the 2-pack) - 2-player-only co-op puzzle platformer. Good length, generally great puzzles, works locally or online. Has some optional challenges.
Remnants of Naezith ($4.99) - Meat Boy had a baby with Bionic Commando and it looooooves to speedrun. loving amazing game with brilliant online integration for rank-chasing, watching and racing against ghosts, etc.
Nimbus ($1.99) - Control your inertia and use bounce pads, cannons, and whatever else is at hand to glide past the hazards to the goal as quick as you can. It's like a... solo puzzle racing game? Pretty unique.
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages ($0.99) - Stage-based space shooter that involves more than just shooting and spends ~4 hours stringing you along thinking it's a relatively standard affair before whaBAM, what was already a pretty extensive set of mechanics explodes into a lot more mechanics and customizability and suddenly you're in a sort-of open world and idk it's insane. The store page claims the full campaign lasts 30 hours, and I believe it. One sticking point seems to be the controls; I adapted to them quickly enough, but some people don't. You need to exercise some restraint or you're constantly going to be flailing around like a madman, fighting your own inertia.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

SpitefulHammer posted:

Trying to decide between Cloudpunk and A Hat in Time as they are roughly the same price. Any thoughts?

Cloudpunk is a pretty walking (driving?) simulator. You'd lose almost nothing by just watching someone stream it, the voice acting is mixed to put it charitably, and overall it's... fine, but not something I'd prioritize over AHiT by any metric.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

HopperUK posted:

That's very charitable. The main character is fine but all the NPCs are *awful*. The writing isn't hideous but the acting is appalling.

The main character is fine for casual dialogue but she can't emote her way out of a wet paper bag. I thought Control was pretty good, and the beauty of the guy who perpetually talks in the past tense like a self-narrating stereotypical noir detective is that he's supposed to sound cheesy, and boy does he ever. Best character.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

pentyne posted:

I'm hoping that maybe I'm literally "playing it wrong" but Outer Wilds quickly turned into a wildly unfun precision platforming game that feels like the game designers played the Xen levels from Half-Life and thought it was way too easy.

All the atmosphere and exploration is amazing, then I miss a jump or jump too high and that's a wipe have to start all over again.

Ways I have had my runs ended in Outer Wilds (not really spoilery but spoilered anyway to be thorough):

- a cyclone picked up my ship and tossed it onto a mountain 30 seconds after I got out of it to explore
- autopilot crashed me directly into the moon
- jumped to a distant platform that turned out to be completely occupied by ghost matter and I couldn't see the telltale crystals until it was too late
- jumped to the ledge above me that turned out to be completely occupied by ghost matter and I couldn't see the telltale crystals until it was too late
- autopilot crashed me directly into the Hearthian satellite
- died to fall damage while jumping around on the Interloper (somehow)
- was busy watching something on my map when suddenly I was crushed to death by rising sand in an area I didn't know had rising sand
- autopilot flew me into one of the chunks orbiting the white hole at full speed
- died to the end of the time loop RIGHT after struggling like hell to get into an interesting area (on at least 5-6 occasions)
- autopilot crashed me directly into the Interloper when the Interloper was the autopilot's actual assigned target
- suffocated or ran out of fuel halfway through an exploration run because the game really hates you having fuel if you aren't near a campfire or your ship
- autopilot hard-reversed and crashed me directly into the planet I was just taking off from

I finished the game. I loved the discovery and the story. I hated playing it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Kanfy posted:

(or skip to the end of the loop which you can unlock by talking to the astronaut on Giant's Deep twice on separate loops).

On that note, that would have saved me probably a solid hour-plus of wasted time in that game if I'd had it, but I didn't happen to unlock it until I was over 20 hours in. Good design :suicide:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Kind of, yeah. But the easiest thing to do in the game is kill yourself. That’s all that feature does is turn Die in to a menu option.

Given the number of ways in which I've bitten it, you would think!! But here's just one example: stranded on Giant's Deep without access to my ship. My only options without knowing how to access the core were wait around to suffocate, wait for a cyclone to lift me into orbit and then deliberately die against the ground on re-entry, find some ghost matter and jump into it, or find a campfire and stand on it. ALL of those options involve burning enough time that it's faster to quit out to the main menu, wait for that to load, then wait for the main game itself to load again, which is what I ended up doing a good couple dozen times over the course of my playthrough. The absence of that menu option wasted a lot of loving time for me.

Outer Wilds' Death Wish Sensor is on a level I will never be able to comprehend.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Or talk to Gabbro and learn how to meditate

Ironically the scenario I described was on my first loop, so

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Azran posted:

Any opinions on Parkasaurus? I know it's still on Early Access, but I see that it has overwhelmingly good reviews already. Some of the reviews say it's a bit on the simple end, is it another Jurassic World Evolution situation?

I don't have a great deal of time in it or any other recent games to compare it to but my expectation coming into it was simply "DinoPark Tycoon except not imbalanced to the point of unplayability", and it met that with flying colours. It was a little buggy, I had some minor gripes with the interface, but the depth of simulation seemed good enough, the customizability is impressive, and the devs are quite open to feedback in the discussions. If you do get it and anything sticks out like a sore thumb just let 'em know and at the very least they'll probably make a note about it for their next meeting, if it's a more indepth issue they might even take the time to hash it out with you right in the discussions to get as much detailed feedback as they can. They still seem to be quite proactive about that sort of thing.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I don't get Mindustry. Giving a tower defense game Factorio elements sounds like a grand idea, particularly when Factorio itself sort-of has elements of tower defense, but in practice it just immediately turns into "every single grunt enemy is going to ruin a piece of your conveyor network somewhere, ruining your entire setup", and if you survive to extraction everything is of course erased. This is excruciatingly unfun.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

lih posted:

but i have a hard time recommending it if

Oh no the critic police got him :commissar:

Bloodstained has an undeniable small-studio jank to it but for me that was mostly in the visuals. I thought it played perfectly fine for the most part, although you can tell they ran out of budget towards the end when designing the map. Perhaps the most damning thing about it to me is just that it's trying too hard to be Legally Distinct Castlevania in its plot and setting. None of the characters stuck with me at all (besides maybe O.G.), nor the story. Hollow Knight on the other hand I had kind of the opposite experience with: I adore the atmosphere and the oddball characters and the story is fascinating when you dig into it, you can tell the devs really loved making their world, but I bounced off it the first few times I tried to get into it. The exploration is open ended enough that you can end up missing multiple save points on your way to your death, and in my case I lost a couple thousand geo while trying desperately to get the hell back onto the known path to go buy the lantern which I needed to progress. That was a loving kick in the teeth. I like HK's design and aesthetic a hell of a lot more and the boss fights are (with a couple exceptions) phenomenally designed, but the actual process of exploring felt a lot smoother in Bloodstained.

I ended up finishing both games and liking them for different reasons, but it's the story and characters from Hollow Knight that have really stuck with me. Silksong and Deltarune are the only games I'm actively looking forward to now, whereas I couldn't really care less if another Bloodstained happens.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Oldstench posted:

made with great love and care. [...] the cult-like devotion it bred on the internet

Answered your own question I think. It looks unique, there's a lot of lore buried in the details, most of the characters are very memorable both in appearance and personality, and (most of) the bossfights are polished to a mirror sheen. Even as I gradually came around to playing the game in general, the bosses were emphatically the parts where I went "yesss, this is what the last hour or three was leading up to". Which is probably why the entire last content update was a fuckhuge masocore hardmode series of marathons of remixed bosses.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

For me it was kind of the opposite. I loved the exploration and jumping about the really beautiful environments and stuff, but the game kept interrupting it with loving awful boss fights. It seemed like the bosses were designed for a slightly faster, stronger player character than the one I had, and they all had way way too much health. Just beating my head against a wall that was between me and all the really cool bits of game I wanted to look at.

It felt like yet another game where the devs wanted to make a hard game because that's cool, but totally hosed the difficulty curve and teaching mechanisms that actually allow hard games to be fun.

Part of the difficulty curve with the bosses is definitely getting into the headspace of playing super defensively. They have a lot of health specifically to try to prevent you from brute forcing the fights, and require you to get down the process of learning the tells and how best to dodge the attacks. You still probably want to get the nail upgrades ASAP and experiment with what badges give the best edge to your play style. I can absolutely see the difficulty being a bit much for some people though. I bounced off of Dark Souls hard, but apparently I take the methodically punishing difficulty better when it's compartmentalized and I only have to dodge in two dimensions.

The Godmaster content pack was completely loving absurd, and I both love it for introducing all the new bosses and boss variants, and hate it for locking them all behind probably the world's longest boss rushes.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shoutout to the Forest for being absolutely loving terrifying and genuinely if I hadn't had a friend in co-op with me I would have had to turn off the game and go hyperventilate for a while. I did scream over voice chat like a little girl.

Oh just wait until the time-based difficulty scaling system turns every second or third living thing on the island into a hulking boss-level monstrosity that can outrun you and would basically require an ICBM to actually kill (and everything that isn't that, into Dr. Manhattan).

The Forest is really fun and engrossing and creepy but I seriously question some of their design and balancing decisions.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Volte posted:

I turned off enemies all together in The Forest using a cheat mod after spending multiple days building a camp with defenses and walls and traps and everything, and then suddenly the ground started rumbling and a mega-boss seemingly spawned directly in the middle of my camp and destroyed everything in a spray of logs in a matter of about 4 seconds. Honestly it kind of works better as a quasi walking simulator with building. The caves are still creepy as poo poo and there's some great environmental storytelling.

Is there a cheat to just turn off the difficulty scaling? I feel like the constant game of cat-and-mouse with the cannibals and trying to find inconspicuous corners to set up temporary shelters to be half of the appeal to me, I just don't want to be forced to move underground to have a gnat's chance in hell of surviving after everything mutates into hulked-out eldritch spawn.

E: There does appear to be an option to turn off building destruction, so there is that at least.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 12, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

aye aye, I'll keep working on my own mountain:

I may or may not have a dozen other roguelikes drawing my attention away from this one.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The new Friends of Mineral Town is so far a pretty cute and faithful remake, with some of the additions and changes being of mixed effect. The fact that you can just walk over all the crop tiles now kind of removes all the strategy of planting in anything but perfect 3x3 arrangements, the ridiculous amount of transparency added to the stamina system takes out almost all the challenge of managing that, and Karen... doesn't really seem to be Karen anymore.

"Pleasure's all mine," she says, with the air of a cougar slightly out of her element. The hell happened to the tomboyish alcoholic who'd tear your face off at the first sign of confrontation?

Personal gripes aside, it's fine, but in no way is it worth four times the price of Stardew (plus the $15 of stupid DLC animal costumes), nor the comparative ~50% markup from what it originally cost on the GBA. Would recommend if you're really hankering for some Harvest Moon nostalgia, but only on steep discount.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cross-posting my request in here from the roguelikes thread as they're too busy arguing over whether 400 hour negative reviews are good or bad to answer me:

In addition to everything else said, never EVER allow yourself to become winded if you can help it. Being out of breath slows down all of your actions so much that it makes combat pretty much suicide and running away completely impossible.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Superhot: well hot drat, I never got into the first one as despite it being slow I had trouble getting into its fight rhythm, but this one? Mind Control Delete is GOOD. I feel powerful and I'm having fun and already the poor superhot system is all "please stop playing this is pointless" and lol welcome to humanity give me more

I've had the exact opposite experience. The original grabbed me with tight, brutal level design and when it ended I had the same complaint as everyone else: "Wait, that's it?" So along comes MCD with the air of a massive smug shitpost about the criticism of the first game being too short by showing you a credits roll 5 minutes in, telling you to your face there's no point to continuing, and then throwing you into a massive web of nodes through which the only point is gradually grinding out new ability unlocks by playing the same... maybe 20 or so levels with randomized spawns (some of which I swear spawn directly from your blind spot rather than any actual doorway) over and over and over again.

Granted some of the unlocks are ridiculous and fun as hell to use, and this was free, but it still feels like a joke that didn't quite hit its mark.

a cat irl posted:

Mgs3 is still GOAT tho

Except for that loving escort section, and having to manually switch camouflage patterns every couple minutes. Never once had the urge to replay it. I do remember it being about the only MGS where the story is both good and insane without needing a 20-page footnote attached.

E: vv I feel like "obviously a white dude doing a horrible Asian accent" is hard to extricate as part of Lo Wang's entire character, but they get away with it in current year because he's otherwise a smack-talking badass? I am a little surprised nobody seems to have noisily crawled up the studio's rear end about it yet though.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 20, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, once you figure out the basics of making some good wands, Noita might be your jam:

https://i.imgur.com/y6PteRA.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/cyE2gTv.mp4

(gifs not mine, taken from the last few pages of the Noita thread)

Meanwhile every time I play Noita:

(that's a lie. this usually happens on level 2)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Having finally played Snakebird I know this got some recognition when it came out but I feel like it didn't get nearly enough. I'm only on level 7 and already giving my brain the workout of a lifetime. It's bizarrely reminiscent of Baba Is You, just the sheer economy of the level design, the emphasis on moving everything in very specific ways in the right order, and having to mentally break down levels into progression chunks based on certainties of what you can or can't do after some trial and error.

And, much like Baba Is You, I suspect I'll hit a brick wall with the difficulty sooner rather than later.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel it's also worth mentioning Contra 4 which was given to a shovelware studio at the time who wanted to prove themselves named "WayForward". They gave them a chance, I'd imagine because they were the lowest bidder, and the studio put out arguably the best game in the series. It was the pivoting point of Wayforward becoming one of the best developers around today.

I mean they already had Xtreme Sports, Wendy: Every Witch Way, Shantae (of course), the GBA sequel they failed to ever find a publisher for (which got chopped up and became Risky's Revenge), the other GBA game they couldn't find a publisher for which eventually became Mighty Flip Champs, and Sigma Star Saga under their belts along with a metric shitload of lesser-quality licensed endeavours. But maybe having Contra on their resume gained enough capital and turned enough heads to allow them to work on some better licensed projects.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 21, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd call the La-Mulana games practically a genre of their own. They're as much puzzlers as they are open-world platformers, more so really. They're absolutely great, but they're not what you will want or expect if you go into them knowing nothing about them except that someone called them a metroidvania game.

La-Mulana is more like a metroidstrainya.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Fatty posted:

For Metroidvanias, Supraland is fantastic. Some genuinely clever puzzles that use combinations of all your equipment.

Supraland has pretty great presentation for what I gather is pretty much another of those one-man projects, but in between the things that do flow well there's a lot of stuff that's extraordinarly cumbersome or poorly/not explained. Why is this lightning rod emitting what looks like radio waves towards nothing in particular? Okay, I'll go collect more stuff and try to figure this out after. Wait, now it stopped emitting the waves and I can't figure out how to get up to where the last few collectibles are that I need to unlock the thing in this area. Oh, now I left the area by mistake and the path closed behind me. Why are the numbers on my gun 20/8/100?? An NPC I talked to after returning to another area says that I need to upgrade the gun to 128 so I can melt steel beams and I literally can't tell if that's a joke or not. This pipe shoots things. This pipe that looks the same as the other pipe I have to shoot into instead, and sometimes the shot will travel through to the other end but other times it'll reflect back out the mouth I shot into. Some lightning rods start off with an electrical charge and you have to shoot your bullets through them to transfer the charge to other lightning rods, but despite that all the lightning rods look the same some of them will take the charge temporarily, some will take it permanently, and some won't take charge at all! I found a cluster of 3 identical-looking bounce pads. One is a shortcut to the other side of this area, one sends me to the next area, and one sends me 2-3 areas backwards.

I cannot whatsoever tell the difference between what's bugged, what's a puzzle I can't solve yet, what's a puzzle I can solve, and what's just plain poor design. I can't tell what I'm collecting the intended way versus an unintended brute-force because "humping odd bits of geometry until you manage to climb up" appears to be the only way to reach a number of things. I can't tell if I've permanently locked myself out of some previous areas or if it's just going to take hours to be able to return to them, and whether the stuff I missed is crucial to the things that don't seem to be working now or not. I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS GAME :psyboom:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Kanfy posted:

No Man's Sky definitely seemed to have recovered a ton from the immense shitstorm around it at launch.

I can't say they haven't made the effort at this point, but it is still far removed from an enjoyable experience and the bugs present make Bethesda look downright competent. A couple months ago I watched someone stream it and he couldn't go 10 minutes without encountering something game breaking. Judging by recent reviews, it's still possible to have your entire fleet disappear when you try to move it, a bug that's been in the game for years now.

And the loving thing still costs $60.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Oh no, is this seriously happening again

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

John Lee posted:

You scared me for the future of Kerbal Space Program 2.

After 2K bought the game and tried to sneak Red Shell into it the writing was kind of on the wall. I'm just waiting to see what they manage to turn into microtransactions at this point.

In other news, I just clicked on Jets'n'Guns 2 in my library which... prompted an achievement popup. I didn't launch it, in fact I haven't played it since 2018, it's not even installed, but I got an achievement. Then things got weirder.

what year is it again

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

space marine todd posted:

God, as one of those few Wii U owners, I am still mad about how dirty we got done. That said, the Switch is so loving good I can't be extremely mad.

I own a Wii U and my joycons drifted into oblivion after less than a year of use. Go ahead, ask me how I feel about Nintendo now.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, the newer Joycons usually don't have the problem, and Nintendo will fix them for free.

They absolutely still have the problem (see also: the Switch Lite), and the free repair offer (which has been a very conspicuously silent one) seems only to apply to the US for some reason.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm confused by this. Is he mocking the guy who made that review? That snippet is taken out of context and is misleading. For context, what's going on in that scene is that you are the alien disguised as the mayor tricking people with blind patriotism, which is what the game is actually mocking. The person who made the video addresses this.

Context? Who has time for that?? I need to buy all these anime tiddy VN's before they get pulled offline

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

HuniePop is still on Steam last I checked, along with everything else that's famous for operating via a wink-wink-nudge-nudge content restoration patch but I don't think it had any underage or rapey overtones.

I could be wrong about that though

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I was going to say we should have more hentai games set in space and featuring aliens so we could finally escape the squicky highschoolers trope, but you know they'd just immediately use that as an excuse to draw green- or blue-skinned highschoolers with antennae

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I mean originally stripping out content to hide in an offsite patch was entirely understandable because Steam didn't allow adult content, but at this point if you're doing it just to try and boost visibility it's a little scummy.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Is it really a failure as a game? In what sense? I have absolutely no interest in it either, but that's a strong statement.

I think the general consensus that the prerelease alpha demos were more fun and intriguing than the finished game kind of sums that up, not to even touch on their laughable claim of "adaptive" AI turning into nothing more than "every time you gently caress up, more hazards spawn until the game becomes unwinnable". Some time post-launch they also put up all the alpha builds on Steam by way of what I can only assume is tacit acknowledgement that those had entertainment value the final game was missing.

I want to say the same kind of thing happened with Secret Neighbor too? Like they initially had a flow going that people generally liked and then for some reason they did a COMPLETE mechanical overhaul/rebalancing for the release version that very few people were happy with.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I think they may have had a bit of a gaffe with 140.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

explosivo posted:

What's the story with SpinTires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner development? Spintires just released an update today with new mud simulation and some other small things along with a new vehicles DLC which is pretty awesome for a 6 year old game with two sequels released after it. From reading through the reviews it sounds like there may have been some sort of dispute between the publisher and dev which led to the creation of Mudrunner? I might have to check it out again just to see how different it feels now after playing a bunch of Snowrunner, my biggest complaint about Spintires and Mudrunner was always a lack of clear goals or progression which I doubt has changed but maybe now after playing Snowrunner a bunch it'll be a little more obvious what I should be doing.

Something something rear end in a top hat publisher. They retained the right to the name, and to keep selling the game, but the devs managed to keep their code and so at one point Spintires and Mudrunner were basically the exact same game, but with the latter having some extra bugfixes. I'm not sure how it's evolved since then, other than Spintires was rebranded as Spintires: The Original Game which was also seen as a particularly petty and spiteful move. And they gave it a substantial price cut since they had nothing to lose by undercutting the new game.

Frankly I'm mystified by the thought of who's actually working on it at this point.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 1, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Impermanent posted:

factorio is an unfair metric because it is a passion project by a group of programmers who wanted to make a game, instead of game devs who begrudgingly learned to program.

On that note, I was kind of boggled recently to realize it's grown to just over 1.2 GB. It used to be around 150 MB, and I think the lion's share of the extra space now is just the extra frames of animation and the much higher-res tilesets they added.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

From what I’ve heard, with the expansion it has to have everything installed twice. Otherwise if you boot up vanilla it may try to call a file that was modified in the expansion, have no idea wtf to do, then crash.

Having watched a friend go through the unholy ritual that is assembling and publishing a simple voice pack for that game, I do not doubt in the least that this would be the case. Everything seems to indicate XCOM2 is held together with chewing gum and a prayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Did someone say Marauders