Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed already, I'm not trying to open a can of worms or anything. I picked up the Halo Master Chief collection late last year and finally loaded it up to play it, and it is demanding I sign in with a Microsoft Account (and also there was no exit button, I had to task manager my way out). Is there a way to NOT do this, because I don't have one and have no intentions of making one.

It requires a Microsoft account for cross-play between the Steam and Microsoft Store versions and possible cross-play that might happen with the Xbone version (but probably won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nuramor posted:

How much of the story does the game cover?

All of Z, from Raditz to Buu. Though the adapted story is cut down in spots and then padded out with original content weirdly. I've heard the Android/Cell saga is missing some iconic moments, but I've only gotten as far as the intermission after Freeza.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

How the whole Hitman 1 to Hitman 2 thing works from memory:

If you have the Goty edition of Hitman 1, everything imports into Hitman 2. All levels. Nothing additional to buy

If you only have base Hitman 1, you only get the base levels (plus the summer remixes). No Goty-remix levels. You can buy the Goty Legacy Pack Upgrade to get the Goty levels

If you don't have Hitman 1, you get nothing from the first game. Only Hitman 2 levels. You can buy the Goty Legacy Pack to get all the Hitman 1 content.

The Hitman 1 stuff is all levels from the first game, with some changes to make use of the new mechanics in Hitman 2. I believe some of the escalation challenges didn't make it over and they only re-ran a few of the Hitman 1 elusive targets, not all of them.

Saves don't carry over though, so if you want to play Hitman 1 and haven't, do it in Hitman 2.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Halo 1 Anniversary suddenly dropped for the PC version of the Master Chief Collection today, I knew testing was finishing but I didn't expect them to just drop it without announcing a date or something.

Haven't played it yet, so no idea if it's launching in a better condition than Reach.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gort posted:

The Master Chief Collection has me confused. I only want the first game 'cause if it sucks I'm only out £12 instead of £60 (for two copies, for coop)

However, despite the first game being sold separately, it says it's DLC for the collection.

Can I buy the game separately? Does it suck?

It's partially down to Steam presenting the games in a weird way, dunno if MS has another way it could display them.
Despite saying that they're DLC, the can just buy any of the "DLCs" without owning the MCC and it'll give you the MCC for free.

Essentially, the MCC is "free" since it's just a fancy launcher and you can either buy the whole package which will give you all six games (Halos 1-4, ODST & Reach) as they come out or you can buy the games piecemeal, but that'll cost more if you end up buying all of the games that way.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Does Halo CE have a server browser?

Matchmaking only, unfortunately.

The neat thing about how Multiplayer works in the MCC is that you don't actually launch the games individually, when you search for a match it can give you any of the games. So if you search for a match of Team Slayer it'll throw you into any of the games (that are currently out) and if you keep matchmaking going after the match finishes you could end up in a different game all together.

You can limit your searches to specific games and game types, but there is no server browser.

EDIT: Something worth noting about Halo: CEA, I guess: the remastered graphics are only for singleplayer. CEA was originally an Xbox 360 game and rather than make an online version of Halo 1's multiplayer they just included a disc with a map-pack for Halo Reach with some re-made Halo 1 maps. Guess they didn't want to split the playerbase or something .
When they made the MCC for the Xbone, they ported the online multiplayer from the old PC port of Halo 1 and used that, so it's only the original assets.

Halo 2 Anniversary is similar in that only the singleplayer has remastered graphics, but this time they made an entirely new game for Halo 2A's multiplayer, which is basically a heavily re-worked Halo 4 made to play as close to Halo 2 as they could. The original Halo 2 multiplayer is in the (Xbone) MCC, so rather than a toggle for graphics you have two separate games.
Don't think they've said anything about if the H2A multiplayer is supposed to launch at the same time as Halo 2, since it's technically a different game. I imagine they probably want to though.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 15, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Welp, I'm self-isolating.

I see that there is a Ubisoft sale going on, which of the last two Assassin's Creed games would you guys recommend? I played a few hours of Origins on PS4 a while back, is Odyssey better? I didn't really keep up with it other than the dumb "gently caress you, you can't be gay any more, have a baby!" thing from one of the DLCs.

Mostly just looking for something to play for the week until Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing and Alyx

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone having any luck VPNing for Doom Eternal? I've tried using NordVPN servers in Australia and Singapore and for both of them it just said "Game unlocks March 19" and didn't even try to unlock.

EDIT: Had to log out of the Steam app on my phone.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 19, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Surprise XCom spin-off launching in ten days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnpl3hWfVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fhpegVBQQ

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882100/XCOM_Chimera_Squad/

Only £17 with a pre-order discount of 50%

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It just strikes me as a lower budget spin-off game, something that would have been on Xbox Live Arcade back in the 360 days. Just something to get people talking about XCom again, hopefully because they're getting ready to announce XCom 3 soon.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am playing the RE1 remake and is there a way to remove the picture frame black borders?

The letterboxing on the side of the screen?

I'm pretty sure the remaster has a couple of modes where you can zoom the camera in to fill the screen, I think.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, I've seen people carefully pick up pens by actually pinching them between their fingers like you would with a real pen rather than press a "pick stuff up" button, so there is some functionality you would lose. I suppose it's not really "integral" in the sense that it stops you from playing through the game, though.

You just hold the grip button that I'm pretty sure every other VR controller has to puck stuff up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh no, Days Gone isn't coming to PC. What a massive loss.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Worth noting that the patch that this is happening in is probably coming in like July. Was planned for mid June, but Covid.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zedd posted:

When did Prison Architect get DLC?

When Introversion sold the game to Paradox.

Paradox likes to make a lot of DLC for their games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

hmm thinking about it didn't they announce they were remaking saints row 2 a while back too, now there's the saints row remaster i'm interested in

They did, but it's apparently a two person team working on it. Though I don't think it's supposed to be a remake or remaster, just an overhaul to the original port to "make things right".

It's also supposed to include the DLC that never came out on the PC.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Noclip has released their documentary about Arkane Studios. Still watching it but there is some really cool poo poo in here, especially the segment about their three cancelled games: an asymmetric multiplayer shooter, a collaboration with Steven Spielberg and a loving Half-Life game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kdqwdbZZ8

Looks like the Half-Life game got really far along until Valve cancelled it because the episodic releases weren't working out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

360 or Xbone controllers should work with any game with controller support from like the last decade without having to do anything. PS4 controllers are going to need a program to make games think it's an Xbox controller for most games (Steam actually has this built in, but it may require some setup), some games have PS4 controller support (even to the point of showing PS button icons), but not many.

If you get a 360 controller, know that you either have to buy a wired one or a wireless one and you can't just plug a wireless one in to make it wired (no, a Play & Charge kit doesn't transmit controller inputs over the wire, it only charges). Also you need a 360 wireless dongle if you go wireless.
The Xbone controller on the other hand is much simpler. If you plug it in it will work wired and if you get the current revision then it works over Bluetooth, the launch version requires a dongle like the 360 controllers.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, A Kingdoms of Amalur remaster got stealth/accidentally announced.

I remember hearing that THQ Nordic picked up the license and were trying to work out with EA & Rhode Island (yes, the state) to figure out who owned the publishing rights.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, weird.

I noticed that Dragon Age 2 was put back on Steam with this (DA2 was removed for sale on Steam when EA left, probably as this was the game when Valve started kicking up a fuss about DLC not beiong sold through Steam), so I looked up DA2 in my library to see if they had added a Steam background and icons and poo poo.

I found this:

Apparently they just uploaded a new version of the game rather than updating the last one?

Looking at the store page for the new version, it looks like it adds Origin as DRM. It also says I own it, when I clicked install from the store page it added the new one to my account. Weird, never seen a company do this before.

EDIT: DA2 sucks, that goes without saying. I was just curious.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If think DA2 was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for EA and Valve back then.

Valve added DLC support for Steam but EA refused to use it and sold DLC for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 through BioWare's website, denying Valve a cut of the sales. EA took DA2 off Steam and stated selling their games exclusively through Origin.

I'm a loving idiot, but assuming the price isn't outrageous I'll be buying ME2's DLC and ME3+DLC if they hit Steam, despite owning them already. Just so I don't have to deal with downloading them through Origin.
Mostly because I don't like how Origin handles DLC. I'm weirdly obsessive about how I do DLC when I replay the Mass Effect games, I don't even install them until I hit the "right time" to play them in the story.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 4, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Nintendo and Microsoft was doing the scummy points system back then too. Sony was the only one of the console companies that just used regular money for their store.

So glad that everyone has finally dropped that now.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I wonder if they are gonna give the new version of Dragon Age 2 to people who already own the retired version. Seems hilariously scummy not to considering that it's not even a remaster or anything, it's the same lovely game as before only now you can get the dlc in a sane manner.

I mean I know it's EA and all but drat.

You get it, but you have to go to the store page and click Install to add it to your account.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Based on my experience with Jedi: Fallen Order, all it means it that you get a login window asking you to sign into Origin and then the game launches. Patching is a bit weird though, as it's handled by Origin and not Steam.

Don't really see what the big deal is, other than being unnecessary. Not really something to pass on buying a game, IMO.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Launching through Steam is less of a pain in the rear end for me than booting up origin on its own and playing through that. I like having it on my Steam account anyway so I see it when I'm scrolling through looking for something to play, I almost never think to check other launchers for some reason.

I was talking about the Steam version though.

With the Steam version of Jedi, you launch the game and it asks you to sign into Orgin (once, assuming you tell it to remember your login info) and then the game launches. No need to launch the main Origin client at any point.

I haven't brought a Ubisoft game on Steam in a while, but I found it smoother than the Uplay thing that happens with their games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Free <?>ities Skylines

6AYMV-4X59<?>-<?>X9BB

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If they're bringing Origin Access to Steam, then EA needs to bring almost it's entire catalogue on Origin to Steam. EA is just dropping stuff in waves, apparently the next wave is coming on the 11th. So I guess they're releasing a bunch of stuff every Thursday?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

A big thing with Square-Enix's insane sales goals for western games in the early 2010's was that they were trying to make up for the failure of Final Fantasy XIV and cost of taking an active MMO offline and rebooting development for it.
Unfortunately they were probably trying to shift the blame for the losses they were taking on that project by saying western developed games weren't selling enough.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

With the nier remaster coming out eventually my ps3 will just be a metal gear solid device.

God drat it Konami, do something right and hire someone to port the Metal Gear games to PC/current consoles (and maybe fix the controls for 2&3 so it's not reliant on analogue face buttons that none of the current controllers have)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not gonna lie, i was tempted for a second there to drop the $15 on it just to give the multiplayer a spin for old times sake. but it looks like it's actually $15 for the game and then $15 for all the multiplayer expansions which, gently caress that.

I don't know how the Steam release handles it, but all the multiplayer expansions are free. Or they're supposed to be at least.

I see that they're listed in the DLC bundle, but also so is the Extended Cut DLC which is also free. I saw someone on the Steam forums say that they got the extended cut with just the base game, no idea about the multiplayer dlc

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hitman 3 coming in January!

Just announced in the PS4 stream. No word if it's episodic or not.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

What if Elden Ring ends up exclusive too?

:ohdear:

Are there more PS5 announcements coming or was that it?

Sony still hasn't announced a date or a price for the console, so that's still to come. Probably in a game of chicken with Microsoft to see if they can undercut each other.

As for games, probably a bunch more to be announced for PS5, Xbox and PC over the next two months in this weird fuzzy post-E3 world.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can’t see Microsoft putting it on the Xbox store and not on PC as well. Even Gears stuff comes to Steam now.

It's not a Microsoft game, it's EA. Microsoft just hosed up and put up a store page before EA announced the game.

Either way, I can't see EA not putting the game on PC. I don't think they do many games that are console only these days, plus I imagine Disney wants it on as many platforms as possible. With EA putting stuff on Steam lately, it'll probably come out here too, requiring you to log into Origin.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, the Hitman 1 levels get lightly reworked when played in Hitman 2, adding features like tall grass you can hide in and briefcases that you can carry illegal objects in.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anno posted:

Persona 4 Golden

$20 is a great price.

Hah, probably up an hour or two early. They're teasing it on that PC Gamer show.

Anyhoo, insta buy.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sleeping Dogs is the game everyone goes nuts about. Also, it was Tue Crime game in development until they decided to change the name.

Watch_Dogs 1 is garbage, mediocre at best. Watch_Dogs 2 is actually a great game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Disney probably gave EA a bollocking after the response to Battlefront 2's microtransactions was so bad that people started talking about passing laws.

I'm sure EA will do plenty more microtransactions in future, but I'm not sure they would try again in a Star Wars game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ulio posted:

So why hasn't Titanfall 2 came to Steam yet?

Because EA is adding games in waves every Thursday. Might hit this week, maybe later.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The whole thing with EA coming back to Steam is that they're bringing EA Access (their GamePass-like subscription) to Steam. For it to work they need to bring everything that it gets you on Origin over, even stuff like the current version of Anthem.

EA just finished their lacklustre I can't believe it's not E3 stream, they said that EA Access is supposed to be coming in the Fall so I imagine that there are going to be a fair number of more game drops until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Orv posted:

At least for the 360 era wireless ones you needed an extra pass through kit for that, dunno about the One controllers.

Actually, the 360 controller's Play & Charge kit only charged the controller, it didn't pass data. You still needed to connect the controller wirelessly, even if it was plugged in charging.

The Xbone controllers will pass data by wire if plugged in though, however they only take AA batteries so you're probably not going to be charging when plugged in. I think there is a special rechargeable battery pack that Microsoft sells that does charge by USb though.