Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

If we are doing remote logon, any software that are easy to use, especially for him?
They are using Win 10 Home, and I have Win 10 Pro.

As others have answered, gotta do the whole remote login song and dance. DrNutt has also addressed the other caveat. It's ideal to library share with someone in a different time zone for that reason, or one of you use offline mode exclusively.

I think the easiest thing to use is Chrome Remote Desktop, especially if they already use Chrome. Download and install one thing from the link, generate a code and send it to you. You can then do the entire thing with login etc. Help article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Well, I bought Cook Serve Delicious 3 and I cannot get it to recognize our Xbox One pads under any circumstances. Restarted the game, tried it with controllers on before launching and connecting them after launching, fiddled with all the settings. This one might have to be a refund for me.

Do you normally use controllers with your PC? Are you using Steam to manage your controller bindings?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

tildes posted:

I'm very late on this, but A Short Hike was really good. Especially given that (1) the world is a bit depressing and (2) you can't go outside much, it was really ideal. Such a chill exploration of a small open world with pretty satisfying traversal mechanics. You're basically a bird who goes on a short hike, as the title suggests. Would definitely recommend -- it's maybe 1-2 very pleasant hours in total.

I spent 3 hours 100%-ing it, it's really good! The only thing I wish I had known before is that you can play at native resolution: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1055540/discussions/0/2944710017721269891/

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Hey so weird question. I got an Nvidia Shield about a week ago, and my boyfriend has been playing KOTOR2 on it. But whenever he hits a cutscene either in GeForce Now (through my steam library) or Steam Link, the entire screen just goes black. The sound keeps going, and he can bring up pause menus, but the game never starts displaying again. I saw something on reddit about editing the .ini files, but he's not wanting to mess with that. Do any of you know what's going on with that, or can you tell me if there's a better thread to ask in?

Have you updated it to the latest drivers? ini files are plain text configuration files designed to be modified. You can open them in notepad. You can back up the original before you modify it. Some games/programs will even work if you delete the entire file and replace it with a fresh copy. You could test that with your freshly-backed-up original even before you do anything at all.

Random post says: That very well might be a manifestation of one of the current release' known issues : Screen corruption/crash/android frameworks restart/ during video playback.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Lone Goat posted:

Hey sorry I don't check this thread that often but here is the cool bird, apologies for the delay.

As someone who lobbied for the cool bird it behooves me to quote the cool bird no matter how late.

I just want to say thanks, because I skipped a bunch of posts and ended up on this page and now there is a cool bird which is cool and I appreciate.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

dbzfandiego posted:

This is the general PC gaming thread and should be named as such. Also delete the all other threads

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

what other management games are there

Management Games Megathread A whole variety

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I'd be really curious how they could get to the account with 2FA on.

It asks you to login on a fake steam site, and no matter what password you enter, it then asks for your 2FA code. you enter it into the fake site, and a bot immediately uses those details to login as you before the 2fa code expires.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1639794651171786770/#comment_content_1639794651175042001

2FA doesn't help if you're knowingly putting your details into the wrong site.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

So this might not be the perfect place to ask this but since it's one of the major default "video game" threads here...

Autohotkey. Does anybody know how to setup keys that rebind another set of keys on the fly?
I want to setup some keyboard hotkeys that rebind the D-pad on my joystick, each key setting up different binds. Basically this:

Press keyboard key "A"
dpad-up::1
dpad-down::2
dpad-left::3
dpad-right::4

Press keyboard key "B"
dpad-up::5
dpad-down::6
dpad-left::7
dpad-right::8

...and so on.

Does anybody know how to do this?
This would be better done with Steam's controller interface, you can use it to set action layers. Is there a reason it needs to be AHK?

Kragger99 posted:

With the Gamepass subscription going up next month, wasn't there a way to get a years worth by buying a Live Gold pass or something? I thought a few goons posted about that a week or two ago.
You can stack up to 36 months of Live Gold, then use this https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold/upgrade and pay $1 to convert all the time to Ultimate.

If you have a costco membership https://www.costco.com/xbox-live-24-month-gold-membership-digital-download.product.100375009.html https://www.costco.com/xbox-live-12-month-gold-membership-digital-download.product.100374986.html
Final price can be as low as $4.20~/month depending on your local taxes.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Actually, no it doesn't need to be AHK. It just needs to be something that works.

Does Steam support HOTAS setups?

Oh my bad, I didn't realize you meant HOTAS. I don't think so? What do you currently use to assign keys?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

srulz posted:

So is this ArsTechnica writer a professional game journalist, or just some random blogger? Because that's the first time I've actually seen "incel" used outside reddit.

Definitely a thing outside reddit.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/06/21/air-force-cautions-troops-to-beware-of-sexless-involuntary-celibates/

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr/covina-man-arrested-federal-charge-alleging-he-cyberstalked-and-threatened-violence

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32969306/

https://www.njhomelandsecurity.gov/media/podcast-the-incel-movement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biricodar:laugh:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Another goon bites the dust.

Is there a thread to contact these peeps?

twistedmentat posted:

There isn't for the steam version anymore. You're supposed to have a "steam log in" button in the launcher, but I wasn't getting it.

??

HarmB fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 10, 2020

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

My perfect games are all a lie, from that time when Green Man Gaming would give you store credit for achievements.

:doh:

:same:

Gotta SAM it up. You can un-SAM the perfect though i think

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Goddamn the steam reviews for Medal of Honor VR are brutal. Mostly Negative with 300 reviews, apparently the game came out of the oven a good six months too early.

From the VR thread;

Can't even get something so basic correct, but something like single-dev H3VR handle interactions much better.

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYIXcx6liw

Ouch.

Oculus strategy of funding external devs for games isn't working, because it seems the devs just take the money and run.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm having trouble keeping my studio hijinks straight... is Snowrunner by the original dev, or is it the company that allegedly(?) stole his source code publishing new stuff with his original work? (Also, is it any good? It looks like the dark souls of European trucking games, but also kinda janky as gently caress.)

My understanding/research indicates this: Spintires was published/'developed'(subcontracted to?) Oovee. The person who created the game was Pavel Zagrebelnyy. He was alleging he didn't have access to the game to update it and they didn't pay him. They later made up. Pavel went to work at Saber Interactive working on the first sequel, Mudrunner. Oovee did license parts of the game which was Pavel's code to Saber however. They claim he sold them all the rights etc. He's probably still working at Saber on this game series though?

I haven't played Snowrunner yet, but Spintires and Mudrunner were both fun. I'd wholeheartedly recommend both, and probably Snowrunner too barring anything wrong with it.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Steam client question: I’m a complete psychopath that has added all of my SCUMM and GoG games into Steam complete with icons, logos and header images. I’m about to move to a new computer, so is there a simple way to transfer all that over or will I have to do it all from scratch again?

Depressurizer backs up your categories locally, but I'm not sure if it does the images, etc. I did some poking around for you, and I think just backing up/copying the Steam\userdata\##\config, or at a minimum the grid & librarycache folders for 10 digit numbered files and shortcuts.vdf & localconfig.vdf should do it?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

Running in this game is slower than walking in Dear Esther. How they can stand it, I have no idea.

It's terribly slow in VR too. the only way you could move faster with VR would be some sort of real-life running back and forth while spinning the game world 180 at either end so you're going in one direction. that sounds like some "get sick instantly" stuff though.

i also refunded it for walking speed, but i played exclusively in VR

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Quill posted:

When it comes to ARPGs, I can say that Grim Dawn gives most bang for your buck. There are plenty of weapons and off-hands that you can combine, each with their own properties. One of my hardest hitting characters is a duel-wielder. If you do end up trying this, I'd recommend getting both DLCs as they are excellent and currently at a deep discount.

30% is deep? The game itself is 80% off sure, but the DLCs are nearer full price than not.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Grim Dawn is worth owning simply because there is a total conversion mod for it that fully remakes Diablo 2 in the Grim Dawn engine, with original voice acting and itemization and all. It is as good as it sounds.

Requires (2 of the three of) the aforementioned minimally discounted DLCs :argh:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Goon "StrongMouse" can be added to the wagon;

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Palpek posted:

Also, just got this 5 seconds ago:

If somebody knows this guy, let him know, drat.

Same, but this guy;

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

beating a dead horse, but they're back to back now:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Goon steam account StrongMouse is compromised. The funny thing is that this account was also compromised in December 2020.

Yep, got the same. Still nicknamed compromised even!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tamba posted:

What do they even do with the hijacked accounts (other than spreading it even more)?
It doesn't seem like the people who got hit have noticed anything.

e: someone should ask them, when they get the 'vote for my team'-message :v:

I tried but only got 'bro?' back. Even told them i knew the deal but seems to be fully automated now.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Maybe me and my Steam friends are just impolite assholes but we never open conversations with just “hi” or “hey” any more and just start with what we want to talk about. If they didn’t start with that that’s enough to put me on edge.

Someone actually got me one day with this. Started the message off with "hey", I assumed it was a scam and said as much, they replied with a free key to a game! Then we had a good laugh about it.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I made the jump by just paying out the nose to send everything i needed to build a basic dome complex by rocket from earth. once you get the bio-drones they can make your money/resource equivalent back.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm asking this over here too since it gets quite a bit more traffic but I'm closing in on 600 hours on Dyson Sphere Project and I'm getting to a point where I can see considering maybe playing something else, some weeks or months down the line. Excluding Factorio and Satisfactory, what games are going to compare to DSP? I don't mean strictly "space factory game" but I like the gameplay loop and progression model especially, where you get to a point where there's a billion things in your world and you're like "I made all of these things". I don't know if I'm looking for gameplay as much as a vibe.

again, different gameplay, but in the x-series of space games, you can build up an empire, but the galaxy is already existing. at least in the last good one which is getting a free expansion* soon, x3. *if you already own the other dlcs

you can set up shop in nearly empty or maybe completely empty systems, i can't remember which. so almost everything at your star would be yours, but the rest of the gameworld would not.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Welp, it's that time again!

Has it ever not been that time? It seems like it's been kinda constant for like years at this point.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Artelier posted:

Is there a way to play Sid Meier's Pirates without a numpad (pretty sure that was the control scheme in the original)? Asking for a friend who owns a 65% keyboard

If it's not a mass-market keyboard there's a chance it runs qmk in which case just add a layer with numpad keys.

otherwise, you could use autohotkey to remap your keyboard to have numpad keys while you play.

If you have Windows, you can do the same through the registry in a cleaner implementation. You do have to keep two reg files to swap around but it'll almost definitely work; https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm#registry

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Ambaire posted:

It's a single page with clear tiers for me. I don't know what you mean. As for the sliders, well, drag one and the others adjust accordingly. perfectly straightforward

probably hasn't rolled out for you yet. i also still have the old ui

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Serephina posted:

Sorry for the derail, but Celeste had nonbinary characters? I assumed things where: Female protag, male sidekick, old grandma and finally the hotel guy. I did not play the super special +++ challenge modes.

https://maddythorson.medium.com/is-madeline-canonically-trans-4277ece02e40

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Well I just got an email informing me the brigador devs banned me from their subreddit with no explanation, days after those posts. I guess the devs are in full "gently caress you" mode now.

chuds gonna chud

Doesn't surprise in the least given their other behavior.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Satisfactory or Dyson Sphere Program? Big fan of the genre, but not sure which of these to start with. I'll probably eventually try both, so which should I check out first?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zereth posted:

How insistent are you on having things be neatly lined up? Because Satisfactory makes that pretty hard.

Fine with spaghetti, I do functional, not neat.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

explosivo posted:

Is Wrestling Empire actually fun to play or is it just like a meme game that plays like poo poo but has heart so people talk fondly about it?

While I haven't played Empire, generally his games have always been fun to play, even if it looks like poo poo. There have been some years the WWE game was so piss-poor it was a legitimately better option to play the one-man game.

If you've ever liked a wrestling game, I think you'd like Mdickie's.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Palpek posted:

Except that I bought the Steam controller and it's not good.

Did you really give it a shot, or try to use it a bit, give up because it's so different from an Xbox/Ps controller, and declare it a lost cause? I think a lot of people are in that second camp without knowing it.

I initially gave up on mine for a few months before giving it another go and spending some time to learn it. It's a good controller.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

teagone posted:

You void the Deck's warranty if you open the device and install your own M.2 drive. The slot is not meant to be end-user accessible.

This is a lie fed to us by corporations for years. Not only is it not enforceable, it's straight up illegal.

It might be buried beneath other stuff and not quick plug and play, but you're more than free to open it up to replace parts and still have a warranty.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Heliotrope posted:

Can anyone recommend me games I can play while listening to podcasts? It should work with sound/music completely off, ideally something casual so I don't have to worry about missing out on important plot details. I use NGU Idle somethings, but when I want something more active I'm using Everyday Genius: SquareLogic and Shutshimi. More complicated games can work if there are partsof the game I can focuses less attention on - maybe trying to beat a particular set of challenges or collecting something useful.

European/American Truck Simulator. Perfect for listening to podcasts along the open road. It's my go-to podcast game.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

busalover posted:

Is the Hitman 2 Gold edition worth it? I played Hitman (2018) for the first time this week, and really loved it. The sequel is currently on sale, but the way they sell the game is really... weird. You can dl for free, but then you have to pay for DLC, but it's not all the DLC, just the standard edition. What?

The levels are "DLC" so you don't have to download and keep them all installed.

If you liked 2018, I think 2 is a safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

busalover posted:

No I mean is the Gold edition a better purchase than the Standard edition. Because it has some extra stuff and levels, I think.

In which case, yes, two new levels and two new sniper-minigame maps are the big differences. New York / Bank and Haven Island / Resort are the levels if you want to check em out on Youtube. They're fairly small, but still are well built like the other levels.