Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
To bandwagon on this, what is the best of the current crop of railroad/transport tycoon games? I'm much more interested in the (preferably competitive) economic aspect of these games rather than fussing over rail signals and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ciaphas posted:

picked up Chronicon and it seems legit good but if there's anything I'm bad at it's builds and the planning thereof

fun to leap everywhere and make the ground explode, though

(e) also the text looks absolutely terrible at scale

I also picked up Chronicon at the sale. Does it get harder during the campaign or is it all about post-game? I'm only two hours in, but I don't think anything has even made a dent in my HP. I will bump up the difficulty, but I've seen people on the forums saying they've sleepwalked through the campaign on Legendary, and I don't know if I feel like spending 8 hours just holding left mouse button to get to part that's potentially interesting...

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Artelier posted:

The main game felt easy to me on Normal and I'm no Diablo-like expert. Currently in Normal difficulty postgame now and things are starting to be noticeably more threatening.

If the challenge of finding a build to survive encounters is the interesting part to you then I recommend bumping up the difficulty ASAP!

That is the interesting part for me yes, and I'm usually pretty bad at these games, so it's not that easy to find the right difficulty setting. I bumped it up once and a mob summoned by the statue was a challenge, so I might stick with that for a while. It does seem like there's a bunch of systems that I'm barely interacting with though.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I feel like single player autobattlers are one of the fastest-evolving genres atm. There's a lot of experimentation going on in, say, Loop Hero, Astronarch, Hadean Tactics and Despot's Game, and I feel like there are a lot of options still available to intermix with other strategy-adjacent genres. I can easily imagine a HoMM-like or an indie Total War game spliced with autobattler (although you could argue that the latter is basically Paradox games). Or sports management games, which have arrived to the approach via a very different route and could do with shedding off some of the simulationist approach.

The main thing is to step away from mindlessly cloning idlers and autochess games, where the genre originates.

Welp, that's my unasked-for rant for today

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 27, 2021

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, Dominions is a good example, but I feel there's space for more games of the kind

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Rebel Blob posted:

Here are all the releases for today on Steam, not including over a dozen demos. Exactly why that calendar is a useful tool.

I see "Prettty girls teach beefy guys" is finally out

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
At this point I'd assume the lack of shopping cart is Epic opting for mobile/app shopping approach to reduce friction and encourage impulse purchases.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Kin posted:

Are there any stats they've released about how much a new Epic account is actually worth?

Like it's all well and good that they've got someone through the door but if they were only interested in the one game that got them there then there's very little lifetime value for Epic.

ARPPU = Average revenue per paying user

Seeing as they'd spent considerably less than $53M on new games at that point, it's probably been a successful strategy.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2021

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
That's not what he's talking about there though (as explained in the linked blog post). It's about not repeating the same artists when shuffling a playlist containing a bunch of artists, for example. Or, when shuffling an album, not allowing the first two songs to be played one after another.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

The 7th Guest posted:

The Case of the Golden Idol: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677770/The_Case_of_the_Golden_Idol/ - Kind of gives me vibes of the French computer scene of the late 80s/early 90s, but with Obra Dinn-y gameplay??

This is actually by two friends of mine and I've been involved with polishing up the text and playtesting. Obra Dinn is one of their touchstones, but they are trying to take it into slightly different direction. It's kinda artsy and ironic at the same time. I think demo's definitely worth your time if that sounds interesting to you.

Also another friend of mine has been working on a dream RPG of his for a long time, and it has a demo out as well. It's essentially a Fallout 2 kind of game with some Eastern European weirdness added to the mix.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

vaginite posted:

But popped in to ask:

There was a game like wasteland, and the original fallouts, indie game, came out maybe in the last few years that people talked about. IIRC it was post apocalyptic, maybe in a dome? I want to buy it before the steam sale ends but for the life of me can't come up with a google search that's giving me the name of it.

Probably Encased

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

:siren::siren:Devil May Cry 5 +Vergil $8.99 Flash Deal -72%:siren::siren:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/devil-may-cry-5-vergil

12 hours remaining as of this post

fwiw it's even cheaper here: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/devil-may-cry-5-vergil-steam-key--3823-4

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

TeaJay posted:

Case of the Golden Idol looks really fun and has a really unique graphical style. Reminded me a bit of Papers, please (and incidentally had a praise from Lucas Pope on the Steam page)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677770/The_Case_of_the_Golden_Idol/

Always wanted to be an MS Paint Hercule Poirot.

I'm actually working on this (well, on editing the text)! If you liked the demo, you'll like the whole game, there's a lot of fun stuff in the later chapters. They also have a publisher now, so hopefully it will allow for some extra polish.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

TeaJay posted:

That's cool! Any ideas on the release, is it more like "in a few months" or "2023" ?

I'd be surprised if it's more than a few months, yeah. The plot and illustrations are all done as far as I can tell, but it does need some polish (the dev is working on a hint system now)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I'm not being an rear end, just curious: is Pentiment essentially just a branching visual novel or is there any gameplay apart from walking around and talking to people and sometimes making a dialogue choice? I've read like two reviews and it's still unclear.

(tbh i'm also a bit suspicious of anything with literary pretensions that names a painter character Maler, unless it's meant to be very ironic/tongue in cheek - which again is not the impression i get from reviews)

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 17, 2022

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In the most technical sense of the phrase, yes, it is just a branching VN, but I feel like that really downplays just how interesting and complex the characters are and how well-realized the setting is. The developers did their loving homework. And of course there's the absolutely beautiful art style.

There is a lot going on under the surface in Pentiment in a way that I feel like most story-based games don't achieve. It sucks because there's not really any way you can get that feeling across by just telling someone about it or pointing them towards a review. You just kind of have to experience it for yourself.

Jerusalem posted:

It's an Adventure Game. You walk around the environments talking to people and interacting with things as you seek to uncover the truth about the cases you find yourself involved in. In doing that, you come to understand the community better, learn about the relationships - positive and negative - between the various characters, say and do things that will have impact on later events in the game etc. Particular (signposted) actions make time progress, and you'll never have time to do EVERYTHING before you reach the point where you have to make your argument to "solve" the case, and the consequences of that spill out to change the world the game exists in.

It's the best adventure game I've played in years, the setting is fascinating, the characters are charming and frustrating and complicated. It's just a great game.

Thanks, I guess it's worth at least a trial run. I've read books about life of medieval peasants and I'm interested in the subject, which is the main reason I'm curious about the game (and ropekid had a cool suggested reading list: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/11/10/recommended-reading-of-medieval-history-from-josh-sawyer/), but I tend to be sceptical about plots/writing in games (inc Obsidian) due to working with literature for most of my life. But having to work with time limit and choose whom to talk to immediately sounds better than most VNs

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
The other other Fallout-inspired Eastern European RPG has launched in EA: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063540/Space_Wreck/

Demo looked promising and I know the dev has been slowly working on this for years, so it should be reasonably polished. Also, the Steam discussions are continuing the usual.