Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Welcome to the Traditional Games chat thread! This is a place for:
  • New users and lurkers
  • Cool cats and dice mavens
  • TG-related questions
  • Continuing derails from other threads
  • Anything you can't find a thread for
  • Other bullshit

All goons welcome. Standard TG/grey forum rules apply. You can find the 2019 thread here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Why not start the new year by checking out the resolution thread?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Role-playing games are fun.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Board games are also pretty great.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
And tabletop miniatures games are pretty rad too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
death to random crits, death to ability scores, d6 pools > d20, normalized distribution curves if we must have randomness at all :ussr:

Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

death to random crits, death to ability scores, d6 pools > d20, normalized distribution curves if we must have randomness at all :ussr:

Cosigned for everything but the first one

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So far I'd say the results are conflicting

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Smash the magocracy

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

death to random crits
That's how most of my characters die. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is also excellent to play card games such as poker.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
More poker based RPGs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Impermanent posted:

More poker based RPGs

I got something called gunslingers and gamblers that has rules for resolution with poker hands. Too bad it's mostly hyperfactual wild west stuff otherwise.

I should go through my folder and F&F some of the random stuff I've found...

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Deadlands also used them I think.

(Happy New Year!)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

hyphz posted:

Deadlands also used them I think.

(Happy New Year!)
Yes. Hucksters play a hand of 5-card stud against the GM to determine if their spells work.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
More rpgs based on mimery.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm playing Adventurer's League right now and one guy is doing a voice that's like if someone's voice was cracking at all times. I'm dying although I dig my kenku monk pregen.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm playing Adventurer's League right now and one guy is doing a voice that's like if someone's voice was cracking at all times. I'm dying although I dig my kenku monk pregen.

I try my very hardest not to judge, but every time I see people roleplaying in public, someone is doing a voice they shouldn't be doing, delivering some incredibly stupid dialogue, or both. The time there was a D&D group in a board-game cafe talking very loudly and at length about crawling up a dragon's rear end in a top hat kind of takes the cake, though.

Also, kenku in D&D 5e are pretty fun. Someone actually looked at this generic birdman race and said "hey, these guys should maybe have some flavor," and I appreciate it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tabletop games are good but I wish I actually had people to play them with irl

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Smash the magocracy

No RPG war but class war.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes. Hucksters play a hand of 5-card stud against the GM to determine if their spells work.

It's not pure 5 hand stud cause they can gently caress with the odds and get more cards, if I remember correctly.

And while that was a garbage system for a pretty garbage setting, just conceptually that concept always made me smile. It's one of those great interactions of fluff and crunch that I wish more people would take inspiration from.

Also, person wanting to run a Redwall game : making new "species"is really easy in Mouseguard, I've done it. You basically just swap out the Nature verbs and riff off the questions in character creation to make it work. It's narrative enough that you'd really have to gently caress up to make it unbalanced. I've run the game with like hedgehogs and elephant shrews and poo poo and it still works great. It takes like 4 minutes and maybe a skim on wikipedia if you don't know that much about moles or whatever.

I sincerely love Mouseguard as a really well designed game, and also because it told me a lot about my friends : one session I was GMing was about a snapping turtle attacking a village to lay its eggs. They tried attacking it head on, which failed terribly cause they were loving mice, and their immediate plan B was to worship the turtle as a dark god of death. I was expecting them to like try to convince it to move or something, there were whole plot threads they ignored ; instead they basically just acted out the plot of The Mist. It was awesome but now I know to never, ever be in a disaster with those fuckers.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I like to play, the games. The games; I like to play.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have been thinking for a while that i would like fantasy games to get rid of the stats for races, and give you a pool of traits you can pick a few of to represent your characters life and/or biology. that way its less bio truthy, and also more flexible. in the bestiary books you could have a little box for each monster with some traits that work well to represent that monster as a character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have been thinking for a while that i would like fantasy games to get rid of the stats for races, and give you a pool of traits you can pick a few of to represent your characters life and/or biology. that way its less bio truthy, and also more flexible. in the bestiary books you could have a little box for each monster with some traits that work well to represent that monster as a character.

That'd be good. Racial stats don't even make sense if you're doing point-buy, you just factor it in.

Pathfinder has stats and traits, and the traits are pretty cool and there's lots of optional ones you can swap with for flavor. But they still have stats too.

Dec 26, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

In the 13th age heartbreaker I’m working on, race/origin/background are all covered under one umbrella, and you choose which one’s giving you stats, a skill, and an encounter power and why.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

That'd be good. Racial stats don't even make sense if you're doing point-buy, you just factor it in.

Nah, stuff like stat caps mean they still matter. Also, they aren't equally distributed in 5E; Half-Elves and Mountain Dwarves, for example, get more points than most other races.

Looking forward to D&D 6E when they will definitely fix the problems :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What would be a good system for doing a game inspired by Shin Megami Tensei? Not PErsona, but the original cyberpunk post-apocalyptic demon summoning world of the mainline series.

So far I have Shadowrun, but it's not quite right.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's not pure 5 hand stud cause they can gently caress with the odds and get more cards, if I remember correctly.

And while that was a garbage system for a pretty garbage setting, just conceptually that concept always made me smile. It's one of those great interactions of fluff and crunch that I wish more people would take inspiration from.

That was the bit that sold me on a game I was otherwise lukewarm-at-most on.

Every time I've tried to play it it's been a clusterfuck, but the whole Hucketer thing was an incredible idea.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonsieurChoc posted:

What would be a good system for doing a game inspired by Shin Megami Tensei? Not PErsona, but the original cyberpunk post-apocalyptic demon summoning world of the mainline series.

Maybe Esoteric Enterprises

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MonsieurChoc posted:

elaborate hack of ars magica

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To anyone here who does any DMing using original content, how much work do you put into it? How do you go about designing it? Obviously you have to have some kind of idea about what the party should be doing and so in that way you can have some control over things, but the party could just as easily end up going in a different direction entirely and obviously the DM can't account for every single potential player decision.

I'm wondering because I've had an idea for a campaign kicking around in my head for a while and I'm curious to know what other people do when they design their campaigns, if they do it session by session, scene by scene, or if they just have a vague abstract outline they'll refer to occasionally, or if they really do just try to expect and account for a majority of player decisions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Generally I work out the next big plot beat in advance, along the lines of "when the party finds the third crystal shard, I'll reveal their mysterious patron as their archenemy." Then I do some exposition to establish that, say, the third shard is in the lost jungle temple. Then I make a vague outline for the party's current broader task ("find the lost jungle temple) that features the route I'm broadly expecting them to go, the main stations on the way that I need to work into individual dungeons/areas as the party approaches, and maybe a spanner to throw in the works. This could look something like: "nearby city, cross the river, temple guardians (jaguar elf tribe), temple itself; competing expedition"

At this point I have no idea what the temple or jungle will look like. Maybe I know what I want to use as a final boss encounter for this chapter. I focus on preparing the current area in depth, though, so at this point I'll have a fairly detailed breakdown of the city. This will generally feature a number of sub-tasks, and I try and think of different ways to approach them. ("Get a map; do favour for mysterious merchant, steal from thief guild, petition mayor") It helps that I know my players and what they're likely to try.

I don't usually prepare much beyond the current area. If the party gets the idea to fly to the temple, I hopefully kept my prep work open enough that I can drop in a sub-task to get a flying machine ("do favour for mysterious merchant, steal from flying thief guild, petition mayor"), and then I know I have to prepare some kind of aerial battle ("thief guild wants their machine back") and can skip the river and possibly half the jungle (my notes at this point may feature the words "crash landing").

I try to pick up loose plot threads as I go. If the party left the competition behind in the jungle without a map, their surviving members surprisingly enter the climactic boss battle, mad with jaguar elf poison. One of them will probably already have turned out to be an NPC with a grudge from a previous chapter.

My bottom line on all this is: prep only as much as you're probably doing next session, but prep it in detail. Have a structure in mind, but be prepared to shuffle it around. And something very important I haven't even really touched upon: come to an understanding as a group what level of linearity you want to do, and what level of deviation is okay. Some groups are totally fine with a predefined linear trip, some want to have the freedom to look for the fourth shard first.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

FirstAidKite posted:

To anyone here who does any DMing using original content, how much work do you put into it? How do you go about designing it? Obviously you have to have some kind of idea about what the party should be doing and so in that way you can have some control over things, but the party could just as easily end up going in a different direction entirely and obviously the DM can't account for every single potential player decision.

I'm wondering because I've had an idea for a campaign kicking around in my head for a while and I'm curious to know what other people do when they design their campaigns, if they do it session by session, scene by scene, or if they just have a vague abstract outline they'll refer to occasionally, or if they really do just try to expect and account for a majority of player decisions.

Depends on the game I'm running. Powered By The Apocalypse stuff and stuff like it explicitly requires the GM to do less prep, since players in those games have a lot of control over the plot through their moves.

More "traditional" systems (I mostly run 4e D&D and Strike these days), I usually start with a campaign concept and present it to the group. "I'm going to run modern-day pirates off San Francisco, in the Shadowrun universe, in the Strike system" for example. Then if people seem agreeable, follow up by asking them to make characters that'd fit the concept - "Make characters that want to do piracy and go on pirate adventures, looking for sunken treasure and raiding ships", kind of thing. That gives you your basis for the campaign and your starting point. Then secretly you determine where you want the campaign to end up, which doesn't need to be set in stone and can change as the campaign runs - I know my group are mostly interested in playing heroes rather than villains, so I decided that the campaign would end with them organising a rebellion against a force which invades the city, and defeating that invading force.

Once you know your campaign's start point, end point, and what the characters are going to be like, you can start coming up with some fixed points in it - adventures you want to run, NPC concepts you want to include (for me it's a few words describing them, their age, nationality, accent, and one distinctive thing about their appearance), that sort of thing. Usually have adventure one be the kind of basic job the players are supposed to do - capture a ship, raid a dungeon, investigate a mystery, or whatever. Doesn't have to be too fancy, the players will just be finding their feet with their characters. Do try to introduce a lot of NPCs, factions, and locations early in the campaign, though, even if it's only a very light introduction. It's cool to fight the Pirate King in adventure 10, but it's much cooler if you heard a radio report about some joker calling themselves the Pirate King in adventure 1 and then get to fight them in adventure 10.

Then once you've got all that, write the first adventure, and just write a bullet-point for each adventure after that. Run the first adventure, and keep as many notes as you can about what happened in the adventure - decisions the players made, enemies who got away, NPCs who owe them a favour, and so on. Try to include those in the next adventure if possible, but if that's not possible, stick the note under one of your bullet-points for a future adventure. It's easy to forget stuff like this and let it pile up, so be liberal with it.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

While no plan survives encounters with the players, their only source of guidance is the DM. It's very easy to reroute players towards the next plot point. It'll take some improv but that's the life of of a GM. For example, let's say the quest is figuring out why the animals have gone rabid and you planned for them to come across a polluted river that leads them to the next scene. If they go, 'huh that's weird' and keep walking, you can point them back at the river when they do their own form investigation.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

FirstAidKite posted:

You're right in that you can't account for what the players are going to do but you can absolutely account for what's already happened. Having context for what's happening in the location the players are in can sometimes be all you need. If you know the situation, the individuals and factions involved, and most importantly the motivations and goals of those individuals and factions, you're more than half way there already and no one's rolled any dice yet!

I recently wrote up and ran a little one-shot for our group using Mothership, which is essentially the Alien franchise with the serial numbers (and facehuggers) filed off. I really didn't know what the group was gonna do since we'd be making characters and playing it all in one night but it turned out really well. I made this PDF after we played it but most of it was in my head going into it. Knowing who the major NPC actors were and what they wanted to do before we started was really all I needed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Controversial. In this multi-paragraph post I will

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm wanting to try and actually be somewhat productive this year, maybe make some content of some sort, nothing set in stone yet, though I've got a couple rough ideas;

1) write up a supplement(or supplements) for Old School Essentials(this one has quite a few possible directions it could go)

2) a supplement idea I've had for a while for Blueholme, expanding upon the system it has in place for non human characters(basically it has a really elegant system in place for converting monster stats into use as a PC, I'd basically be doing the legwork and writing it all out so that other people can jump right in if they decide they want to play as a Troll or something)

3) do something with that idea I've talked about back in the last thread about an RPG that uses a modified TCG as it's combat system

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
In continuation of 'What system would work for Redwall?' Cairn would be pretty good.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My new year's resolution is to only game wearing pajamas.

Also finish the homebrew 5e Vampire class I've been tinkering with for months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

This is how I'd do it:

Give up the idea of being meaningfully "in control", and definitely give up the idea of accounting for every possible player decision. The most important thing is that the players buy into the fiction you're presenting (replace "the fiction" with "the setting" or "the world" or "the plot" if it helps). I find it much easier to get this to happen by constantly giving them what excites, interests, threatens, or scares them and constantly updating that as they change and grow than by trying to pre-make (via guessing what they'll want) a detailed fictional world that is somehow supposed to have an independent existence outside our collective imaginations.

So

Have a general idea of where you want the game to go. Have a session zero where you pitch this general idea to the group, and then they add suggestions and make characters together. Adjust your idea to match their suggestions and characters.

Plan a session one that presents some key stuff from the pitch you made. Make sure it opens on an interesting and exciting scene - no historical "ten thouuuuusand years agooooo" exposition or "you all meet in a bar" poo poo. A fight, a chase, a murder, something like that. Watch how they play it. Watch what they're interested in and how they interact with things. Introduce a bad guy who you're intending to be a recurring character. If they kill him, then it's his replacement or superior who recurs, but watch carefully how they interact when you signal "plot-important antagonist". Always listen carefully to their plans and suppositions about what's going on, what'd be cool, what they're afraid might happen, etc.

Then do an outline of your next few sessions based on what they thought was cool (and on what you thought was cool too - you get input!) Bear in mind that people are generally pretty awful at telling you what they liked, which is why you needed to be watching and listening as it happened.

Then plan as much of the next session as you feel comfortable with, and when you run it repeat the process of listening for their cues and building more of that into the next session, and so on.

When they're engaged and interested, you can plan a little further ahead. If they become less engaged or interested, dial back the planning ahead and go back to watching and listening and using that, and even asking "So... what do you all think might be coming up?"