Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's worth noting that the Anima Prime mechanics don't have very much to do with FF mechanically, just in case you were specifically looking to emulate ATB or buying better equipment every town or whatever. Instead, the influence is on the kind of stories it wants to tell and the fact that you can be a summoner.

The manoeuvre/strike/charge system and the general flow of conflicts is pretty neat so far, from reading it.

which is good to point out, but I don't think it's too crazy to assume someone would want a playable RPG instead of one of the fan RPGs that sets out to replicate Final Fantasy exactly (down to the job system and multiplier equipment scaling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's worth noting that the Anima Prime mechanics don't have very much to do with FF mechanically, just in case you were specifically looking to emulate ATB

nope

quote:

on the kind of stories it wants to tell and the fact that you can be a summoner.

yep, though I always appreciate support for geomancer-related bullshit.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

To describe Anima Prime in a somewhat negative but mostly accurate way, is this:

You know how in Fate Core combats can boil down to stacking Create Advantage and then doing a big hit?

Anima Prime is built around doing that explicitly and leaning into it, and having that be the only type of conflict there is.

This also means that any form of roll you make outside of 'a combat' is either 'an exciting action scene' or 'an exciting action montage' and there's intentionally very little support for "roll to spot the door" or "roll to see if they're lying".

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I've just published the DEATH of NUMISMUS, a solo journal god-game about a dying god of coin, sundered by hungry adventurers breaking into their holy vaults and dethroned by jealous rival gods stealing back their facets of godhood! It's one of my entries into the Wretched and Alone Jam on itch.io,, and it uses tarot cards, a coin stack, and whatever journal-writing method you like. RTs very welcome, and give it a look if you're interested!
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1278833493544493057

-

I'm also running a summer sale on 4 horror games and supplements:
  • The Cromlech Archives, a found-footage weird horror evidence generating game I released last year,
  • Over the Moon, a discord/pbp romantic comedy horror game about two people who love the moon a little too much,
  • Midnight Signal, a pastoral weird horror playset for my Quiet Year hack, Twilight Song),
  • and The Paperflesh Advent, a kaleidoscopic medicinal horror incursion for the rules-light Cthulhu Dark/FitD-based game Trophy Dark
The discount started at -50% and it's falling by 5% each day (so it'll be -15% or so on the final day of the sale).

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Yo yooooo, I've got a super simple quickstart edition of grimDARK available now because I got tired of people not reading it while I wait for PoD files. It's free on itch:
Clicky.

And costs money on DriveThru:
Clicky.

https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1278893905598197761?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Yo yooooo, I've got a super simple quickstart edition of grimDARK available now because I got tired of people not reading it while I wait for PoD files. It's free on itch:
Clicky.

this is very cool and gets my recommendation

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is very cool and gets my recommendation

Yoooo thank you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

UnCO3 posted:

I've just published the DEATH of NUMISMUS, a solo journal god-game about a dying god of coin, sundered by hungry adventurers breaking into their holy vaults and dethroned by jealous rival gods stealing back their facets of godhood! It's one of my entries into the Wretched and Alone Jam on itch.io,, and it uses tarot cards, a coin stack, and whatever journal-writing method you like. RTs very welcome, and give it a look if you're interested!

-

• The Cromlech Archives, a found-footage weird horror evidence generating game I released last year,
  • Over the Moon, a discord/pbp romantic comedy horror game about two people who love the moon a little too much,
  • Midnight Signal, a pastoral weird horror playset for my Quiet Year hack, Twilight Song),
  • and The Paperflesh Advent, a kaleidoscopic medicinal horror incursion for the rules-light Cthulhu Dark/FitD-based game Trophy Dark
The discount started at -50% and it's falling by 5% each day (so it'll be -15% or so on the final day of the sale).

Wretched and Alone looks cool as hell and your game looks excellent as well, and through this post I found out there is like 16 hours left if someone wanted to do a Wretched and Alone jam game about being a deposed and disgraced webmaster or something for some reason

I think I’m going to try some of these journaling games as a writing exercise for foreign language practice somehow, I’ve never even heard of the genre and it really has some wheels turning in my head.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

Wretched and Alone looks cool as hell and your game looks excellent as well, and through this post I found out there is like 16 hours left if someone wanted to do a Wretched and Alone jam game about being a deposed and disgraced webmaster or something for some reason

I think I'm going to try some of these journaling games as a writing exercise for foreign language practice somehow, I've never even heard of the genre and it really has some wheels turning in my head.
Thanks! Here's a link to a big collection of most of the solo games on itch.io, many of which are journal games: https://itch.io/c/668977/solo . I've also got a 2-player writing game that can be played solo called Like Skyscrapers Blotting Out The Sun (it was in the megabundle last month, but it's also available PWYW now).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I woke up this morning with most of the idea for what I personally wanted out of a journalling game with a language-learning focus pretty much fully-formed in my head so I'm honestly thinking of trying to just put it out there, maybe not for the game jam but still I think there's something really potentially cool there.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Using games to help do other useful stuff is a real cool prospect! I will say though, Wretched and Alone isn't the be-all end-all of journal games—just one system that's had a lot of attention during this game jam.

If you need any help/advice/guides, there's a designer/publisher thread here on SA. I also run a discord server called The Backlog which, on top of being a place to play, playtest, and do OOC chat, has a workshop channel for developing and producing games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah.... honestly what I ended up throwing together isn't really closely hewing to the Wretched & Alone model at all, but I still tossed it in the game jam as a freebie because it was still my strong inspiration for jumping into the project and honestly without some kind of totally artificial deadline like a game jam or something I would never finish it and it would sit half done in Google Drive forever

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

UnCO3 posted:

-

Yah seconding big ups to this even though I piggy backed off it to advertise. It's a killer, can't wait to play.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

UnCO3 posted:

Using games to help do other useful stuff is a real cool prospect! I will say though, Wretched and Alone isn't the be-all end-all of journal games—just one system that's had a lot of attention during this game jam.

If you need any help/advice/guides, there's a designer/publisher thread here on SA. I also run a discord server called The Backlog which, on top of being a place to play, playtest, and do OOC chat, has a workshop channel for developing and producing games.

Thanks for that discord link!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Yah seconding big ups to this even though I piggy backed off it to advertise. It's a killer, can't wait to play.
Thanks—and good luck with grimDARK!

Agent Rush posted:

Thanks for that discord link!
No problem! Things have been a little quiet recently (outside of helping poltergrift with their game PYTHIA), but they're gonna start up again soon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What are some systems do people like using for games in existing settings? Like I've really enjoyed the world building opportunities of Fellowship but that wouldn't fit for like, a game where people just wanted to piss around in FFXIV's world and play as the races and people who already exist there. I've traditionally used Strike here, but I'd like to broaden my options for players who want something lighter.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Countblanc posted:

What are some systems do people like using for games in existing settings? Like I've really enjoyed the world building opportunities of Fellowship but that wouldn't fit for like, a game where people just wanted to piss around in FFXIV's world and play as the races and people who already exist there. I've traditionally used Strike here, but I'd like to broaden my options for players who want something lighter.

Whitehack would be my choice if you're looking for something ultralight, helps that it's dirt cheap for a physical copy(like 10 bucks on Lulu)*, only downside is there's no official PDF for the game because the author is some sort of luddite, but there's unofficial ones floating around if you know where to look

*there used to be slightly fancier versions available for a bit more but much like Yoon-Suin's print edition are no longer available cause Lulu changed up things and the print format they use is no longer available

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I like Fate for just slapping onto whatever setting you like, but I do think you need to hack it a bit to make it properly sing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I was unironically gonna suggest Strike for this, lol. So yeah FATE seems like the next step over.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Final Fantasy D6

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Plutonis posted:

Final Fantasy D6

quote:

What are some systems do people like using for games in existing settings?

Would you suggest Final Fantasy d6 for playing in the Star Wars universe, or running a game in the Expanse, or for She-Ra: Princesses of Power?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
While on the topic, read through the FFRPG 4e pdf the other day and I loved the rules for making The Party as basically its own collective character in addition to the individual characters and the classes were fun and the ATB system was neat... but then I saw like multiple pages dedicated to weapon prices and my eyes glazed over

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Would you suggest Final Fantasy d6 for playing in the Star Wars universe, or running a game in the Expanse, or for She-Ra: Princesses of Power?

Oh no, that's for the purpose of running a FF14 campaign on OP's post. I don't believe on a 'one size fits all' game for setting adaptations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Actually thinking about it someone with more energy than me might as well make a thread for a "what game to recommend to play on a setting" list.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
FFd6 is horrid though. It has the worst of what 3.5 inflicted on trpg culture, combined with the worst trends in DIY video game conversions.

I would just go with a system you already know and like and work around that, or a system you want to try for the sake of a system.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I could probably make an AW hack of it if I knew poo poo about FFXIV (I played a bit but all I did was spam Overpower), and if I knew BITD better that would frankly not be bad start point either (if the goals is to have that 'dungeon delving' feel, then BITD is a good start point), but those are both a lot more labor intensive than starting from, say, FATE.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

FFd6 is horrid though. It has the worst of what 3.5 inflicted on trpg culture, combined with the worst trends in DIY video game conversions.

I would just go with a system you already know and like and work around that, or a system you want to try for the sake of a system.

Are we thinking about the same system? FFd6 is the best explicitly FF tabletop game, even if that's a low bar to clear.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

Are we thinking about the same system? FFd6 is the best explicitly FF tabletop game, even if that's a low bar to clear.

Not to mention it's not even 3.5 inspired at all lol. It's got D6 on the name, not D20!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is v1.3 the most recent FFd6? apparently that's different from FFRPG which is d10/d100-based

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Leraika posted:

I thought that game kain ran ages ago was ffd6 and was turbo mathy totally broken nonsense with too many options and video game formulas.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

I thought that game kain ran ages ago was ffd6 and was turbo mathy totally broken nonsense with too many options and video game formulas.

part of that was that it was a kaingame tho

e: we're discussing a mutual friend whose thing is making everything big and anime

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

part of that was that it was a kaingame tho

e: we're discussing a mutual friend whose thing is making everything big and anime

is that the same kain... gently caress it's been so long i don't even remember who gmed the one i played on irc

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Plutonis posted:

is that the same kain... gently caress it's been so long i don't even remember who gmed the one i played on irc

Almost assuredly

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Countblanc posted:

Just play Fellowship but answer all the worldbuilding questions in FFXIV terms. It'll probably end up diverging some, but you're playing the big heroes of the current age so that's okay.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Almost assuredly

Ah send my regards then, Mons. As I said, it has truly been a while.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Just play Fellowship but answer all the worldbuilding questions in FFXIV terms. It'll probably end up diverging some, but you're playing the big heroes of the current age so that's okay.

I feel like the biggest problem with that is the nature of the playbooks as defining people too strongly with a D&D based race-species monoculture deal. 14 very actively doesn't do that. Culture matters more than race, all the countries have a spread of races in them, and though there's a general bias towards certain professions and fighting skills in any of the countries, none of them are really strongly elfy or halflingy or dwarfly in the way that Fellowship wants a character to be.

Except maybe the dwarfs but setting a game in the First makes being a dwarf easier but fixing everything else in the game MUCH harder.

In general, assuming you're on the Source, I can see:

Dwarf: Could plausibly be from the Ul'dah lower classes but still a very specific personality from there
Elf: Lines up well with someone from Sharlayan with the science elf thing, maybe - basically everyone that they let out of their borders is some sort of science-mage special agent anyway
Halfling: Doesn't really line up anywhere besides "is a very small adventurer with size magic" which we haven't really seen but hey, could exist
Harbinger: More related to a plot role than a people, should be fine
Orc: Possibly from the mountain tribes or Roegadyn homelands but that's a very specific origin without much lore to go on
Squire: Again works because it's more a role than a people

Even if you were to remove the questions about "why are your people all like you?" for not really making sense in the setting, the playbooks do strongly pigeonhole you into narrative and stylistic types that players who are enthusiastic about the game might not want to inhabit.

You'd need to write whole new playbooks for most of the really explored peoples, which is why I think you just go with a nice reskinnable game that you already like and let the already-written lore do the talking for you.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 9, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Fellowship loses a fair bit if you go in with a pre-established setting; part of what makes it good is seeing what the players come up with in terms of lore for each of their cultures.

Funnily enough, Anima Prime would probably make a good FF14 RPG. Fate also works if you're willing to write (or steal from other Fate games) enough subsystems to give the game some mechanical depth.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

This is in its final hours, with its final discount of 15% off!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
ended up coming across some legit astrology dice: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Astrology-Dice/2947161_514269362.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.828b2e950ZcaiR i advise AGAINST casually browsing the sets of metallic, glow in the dark dice, as they somehow hop into your shopping cart of their own accord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

ended up coming across some legit astrology dice: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Astrology-Dice/2947161_514269362.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.828b2e950ZcaiR i advise AGAINST casually browsing the sets of metallic, glow in the dark dice, as they somehow hop into your shopping cart of their own accord.

Spooky! Buy the haunted glowing dice!