Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Covok posted:

Oh sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was just throwing it out there because it's a little know system.

Oh, cool, no problem! I'll keep it in mind if I ever want to try to do something toku again! Sorry for being snippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think you both sounded reasonable, but I'm all for folks being polite when there's miscommunication, so good on both of you.
Also glad to hear Lancer is decently reskinnable -since I'm probably the only one in my group who'd go all in on weird sci-fi mecha, but have a few other folks into strategy RPGs.

Also in more general chat, yay I'm finally in a game where I'm not GMing, a friend is running Blades in the Dark over roll20 and wow is that game well supported on that site.
Like I really really love the live updated gang sheet, and just how slick the char sheet UI is.
Also it's another game with some folks a little new to RPGs blended with folks I've played with a lot.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Band of Blades is likewise incredibly well supported, and I think Scum and Villainy and Agon got a similar treatment, though I'm not 100% on those. John Harper, Stras, et al really went in for Roll20 optimization, and it's a great call.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Regarding RPGs with digital components, Subway Runners has procedurally generated adventures, styled as gig-economy requests: https://perchance.org/subwayrunnersgig

It's in early access, but In Which We Live and Breathe, another shadowrun-esque FitD, allows players to post information about a job to a real messageboard (sadly still under construction) and you get XP if a different crew does the mission and posts a report.

I don't know why I love the idea of these mechanics so much. They're sorta like ARGs?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kestral posted:

Band of Blades is likewise incredibly well supported, and I think Scum and Villainy and Agon got a similar treatment, though I'm not 100% on those. John Harper, Stras, et al really went in for Roll20 optimization, and it's a great call.

Can confirm S&V is extremely well supported on roll20 and also an amazingly fun game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This has nothing to do with TG but you're my only social outlet right now and I have to show this to as many people as I can:

Anastasia: Once Upon A Time is the magical adventure of Tsar Nicholas's daughter, Anastasia. Of Russia. Early 20th century Russia. Instead of being tortured and murdered in a basement during a coup, Rasputin (Who died a couple years earlier but got better? Never died?) opens a time portal to save her from Lenin and an ice witch (??), sending her to Madison, USA (Wisconsin? Who knows!) where she…learns to, uh, trust…some girl…in order to save her family and rewrite history (???) She didn't travel to the present, but rather to the late 80s, because Stranger Things is popular. She eats spaghetti with her bare hands because she's a century old and foreign.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can play Lenin, right?

That Old Tree posted:

ice witch (??)
Somebody really has it in for Krupskaya.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm assuming it's Baba Yaga. Judging by the effects in the trailer, at best there will be a static shot of a lovely 3D model of chickenhouse.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

She eats spaghetti with her bare hands because she's a century old and foreign.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's weird to me that Rasputin is always cast as the villain in those stories. Dude was a loyalist, and her mom's main advisor. Like at least make it her uncle who was part of the conspiracy to depose the tsar, and was floated as replacing him -or better yet why not have the literal evil king who refused any reforms or to abdicate the throne when everyone was begging him to? Paste the Don Bluth Rasputin over Nicholas. A zombie/ghost so angry he's not the unchallenged ruler that he's even lashing out at his surviving daughter for daring to potentially steal his throne.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think most of the ("Western"? Or maybe just US?) pop culture conception revolves around a very surface-level reading of "attractive royals = at worst tragic figures if not outright heroes" because we're a very self-hating democracy/standard white supremacy.

In any case, I hope it's hilariously terrible instead of just mediocre timefiller for kids, because I'm definitely watching it tonight.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rasputin committed the only crime greater than regular treason: mega-treason, by which I mean 'cucking the emperor.'

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That Old Tree posted:

I think most of the ("Western"? Or maybe just US?) pop culture conception revolves around a very surface-level reading of "attractive royals = at worst tragic figures if not outright heroes" because we're a very self-hating democracy/standard white supremacy.

In any case, I hope it's hilariously terrible instead of just mediocre timefiller for kids, because I'm definitely watching it tonight.

Yeah, I get that we're just telling a basic fairytale archetype with some historical names pasted over it, but it would be even easier to make Rasputin a Merlin figure or the handwave as to how she survived, then make the scheming uncle the bad guy. It's weird to me that's never what we do. Though I lean to a more historical "Make Nicholas the bad guy, because gently caress him."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

It's weird to me that Rasputin is always cast as the villain in those stories. Dude was a loyalist, and her mom's main advisor. Like at least make it her uncle who was part of the conspiracy to depose the tsar, and was floated as replacing him -or better yet why not have the literal evil king who refused any reforms or to abdicate the throne when everyone was begging him to? Paste the Don Bluth Rasputin over Nicholas. A zombie/ghost so angry he's not the unchallenged ruler that he's even lashing out at his surviving daughter for daring to potentially steal his throne.

He was the common thread that EVERYONE in Russia (other than his Religious Sect members) hated at the time, Bolsheviks, Liberal Republicans, Monarchists, all of them saw him as a repulsive figure that contaminated politics at the time, which is why he became a Bête Noire at the time and that image got carried over to the west as well.

Also ironically if he managed to convince Nicky to actually sue for peace in '16 like he was claimed to do, it could have saved or at least temporarily extended the Romanov rule.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 16, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

why do the girls in what is supposed to be 20th century russia at the latest look like they forgot to get a costume for a costume party and their parents got the first thing they found on the cheapest store in town

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

paradoxGentleman posted:

why do the girls in what is supposed to be 20th century russia at the latest look like they forgot to get a costume for a costume party and their parents got the first thing they found on the cheapest store in town

Because that's the shorthand to indicate 'royal princess' in movie language and making it look more expensive is only really worth it to prove that you were willing to spend more on costuming

(historical costuming is really funny because a bunch of stuff that is historical - pectoral plate, comically oversized codpieces, and skimpy clothing gets called out as not period appropriate, with my favorite being the Wu Zetian biopic Empress of China getting censored for trying to use period-appropriate clothing as it was 'too exposing')

Serf
May 5, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

if i am interpreting the trailer and description correctly, rasputin has been ensorcelled by lenin and sent forward in time like a wizard terminator to capture anastasia

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Look, there's exactly three ways you can go with Rasputin. Either he's an evil wizard, Russia's Greatest Love Machine, or both.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Ratoslov posted:

Look, there's exactly three ways you can go with Rasputin. Either he's an evil wizard, Russia's Greatest Love Machine, or both.

there's no wizard that doesn't gently caress

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

"Volcel Wizard" is a pretty good username

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

*cries in merlin*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Gandalf???

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Leperflesh posted:

Gandalf???
Fucks.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm pretty sure the aesthetic of the movie is "our big get is Brandon Routh for a day of shooting, and the bulk of the remaining budget went to the local seasonal Halloween costume store at 6pm on October 30th."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Leperflesh posted:

Gandalf???

the lotr wizard coloring is technically a form of handkerchief code. You don't wanna know what grey was into, and certainly not how that transitions to white

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Interesting how the Real Anastasia was catapulted to 1988, a few years after her most famous imposter died and a few years before her claims were disproved by DNA evidence.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

Interesting how the Real Anastasia was catapulted to 1988, a few years after her most famous imposter died and a few years before her claims were disproved by DNA evidence.

Yet it took her almost ten years and the help of her fast friends Meg Ryan and Hank Azaria to tell the version of her story that she quantum leapt to tell.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tulip posted:

Because that's the shorthand to indicate 'royal princess' in movie language and making it look more expensive is only really worth it to prove that you were willing to spend more on costuming

(historical costuming is really funny because a bunch of stuff that is historical - pectoral plate, comically oversized codpieces, and skimpy clothing gets called out as not period appropriate, with my favorite being the Wu Zetian biopic Empress of China getting censored for trying to use period-appropriate clothing as it was 'too exposing')

I want a historical drama set during that bit of the renaissance (maybe?) where noble women would just randomly walk around with one tit out.

For historical accuracy you see.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yoon-Suin will be having a kickstarter for it's second edition in the near future(which will have a bunch of new content), however the first edition's PDF will be retired at the end of the month because of that, on the plus side said PDF will be only a dollar for the rest of it's availability

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That Old Tree posted:

Report: It would be a thoroughly mediocre nothing of a film of it didn't use a handful of real people's names. Nevertheless, the bizarre premise does enhance the viewing experience, and the first half is enjoyably dumb. It drags in the middle and wraps up very quickly, but the last few minutes are goofy enough to be fun again. Some laughs were had.

The evil witch was just "Yara." Everyone in Russia except Rasputin and Anastasia are barely in the film at all, which is odd since some of those up-jumped extras are the actual main villains. The mystical heart of Russia bullshit they set up in the beginning goes absolutely nowhere. The effects were not Birdemic bad but they were completely unambitious even for babby's first AfterEffects trial period. You can see a Walmart-tier art deco floor lamp smack in the center in the background of the hotel conference room entrywayRussian palace where Lenin personally shoots Tsar Nicholas.

The thing with the spaghetti is somehow even weirder than the trailer makes it seem. Anastasia is baffled by the existence of the pasta itself, asking if it's worms, tries it with a fork, and then she loves it so much she starts scooping it up with her hand to stuff her face. Her new friends are like "Ha, Russians" and do the same.

One of the most bizarre lines in the movie is: "I'll change my clothes fast. It's one of the perks of being 12."

The bulk of the movie is set over the course of October 30th and 31st. They probably literally did raid a seasonal Halloween shop for most of the costumes in the movie. Most of the Tsar's daughters' dresses are incredibly plain and ugly, but Anastasia's royal ball gown is definitely some modified Halloween costume. The actual Halloween costume she's meant to wear for Halloween itself is referred to as a princess dress, but she looks like an 80's teen pop rock girl.

All of the advertising/back copy for the movie says it's set in '88, but the title card when the time travel happens says "1989." Except for the aesthetic of the couple of scenes at the mall there was no reason to set this in the 80's. It probably would've been cheaper to make it fully modern so they wouldn't have to do the 80's set dressing and costuming.

Rasputin gets into a dance competition with some breakdancers, which sounds far more amazing than it was to watch. He also plays Contra on the NES.

It was better than my worst expectation but I would've regretted it if I hadn't had store credit to waste.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 17, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Does Rasputin do the Konami Code or is he a purist.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Report: It would be a thoroughly mediocre nothing of a film of it didn't use a handful of real people's names. Nevertheless, the bizarre premise does enhance the viewing experience, and the first half is enjoyably dumb. It drags in the middle and wraps up very quickly, but the last few minutes are goofy enough to be fun again. Some laughs were had.

The evil witch was just "Yara." Everyone in Russia except Rasputin and Anastasia are barely in the film at all, which is odd since some of those up-jumped extras are the actual main villains. The mystical heart of Russia bullshit they set up in the beginning goes absolutely nowhere. The effects were not Birdemic bad but they were completely unambitious even for babby's first AfterEffects trial period. You can see a Walmart-tier art deco floor lamp smack in the center in the background of the hotel conference room entrywayRussian palace where Lenin personally shoots Tsar Nicholas.

The thing with the spaghetti is somehow even weirder than the trailer makes it seem. Anastasia is baffled by the existence of the pasta itself, asking if it's worms, tries it with a fork, and then she loves it so much she starts scooping it up with her hand to stuff her face. Her new friends are like "Ha, Russians" and do the same.

One of the most bizarre lines in the movie is: "I'll change my clothes fast. It's one of the perks of being 12."

The bulk of the movie is set over the course of October 30th and 31st. They probably literally did raid a seasonal Halloween shop for most of the costumes in the movie. Most of the Tsar's daughters' dresses are incredibly plain and ugly, but Anastasia's royal ball gown is definitely some modified Halloween costume. The actual Halloween costume she's meant to wear for Halloween itself is referred to as a princess dress, but she looks like an 80's teen pop rock girl.

All of the advertising/back copy for the movie says it's set in '88, but the title card when the time travel happens says "1989." Except for the aesthetic of the couple of scenes at the mall there was no reason to set this in the 80's. It probably would've been cheaper to make it fully modern so they wouldn't have to do the 80's set dressing and costuming.

Rasputin gets into a dance competition with some breakdancers, which sounds far more amazing than it was to watch. He also plays Contra on the NES.

It was better than my worst expectation but I would've regretted it if I hadn't had store credit to waste.

Sounds like it'll make for a great MST3K or Rifftrax episode in the future

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hostile V posted:

Does Rasputin do the Konami Code or is he a purist.

Purist, but also it's only a total of like 30 seconds of screen time. Then he gets dragged onto the modeling catwalk for Hot Topic.

(According to Wikipedia, the first Hot Topic opened in California in November '89. The only two timeline things this movie gets right are that Contra actually existed when it's set, and likewise the song Time After Time which was the only music they seem to have licensed so they used it three or four times in a loving 80 minute movie.)

drrockso20 posted:

Sounds like it'll make for a great MST3K or Rifftrax episode in the future

Eh, it's pretty thin. I dunno if there's enough there to sustain even a whole hour of riffing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

That Old Tree posted:

Purist, but also it's only a total of like 30 seconds of screen time. Then he gets dragged onto the modeling catwalk for Hot Topic.
A solid take on the Russia's Greatest Love Machine form of Rasputin.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hostile V posted:

A solid take on the Russia's Greatest Love Machine form of Rasputin.

It's probably the best they could do in this children's movie.

His true character is that he's a kindly wizard who does actual loving magic, but Yara the witch hypnotises him to go track down Anastasia through the time portal. He is very briefly diverted to a clearly still shot of Disneyland with unmoving people in the background, badly rendered CG fireworks in the middle of the day, and a looping "crowd cheers" noise. Even when he's mind controlled by an evil witch he can't help but be a little goofy.

He also steals a half-eaten corn dog from a toddler at the mall.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

(According to Wikipedia, the first Hot Topic opened in California in November '89. The only two timeline things this movie gets right are that Contra actually existed when it's set, and likewise the song Time After Time which was the only music they seem to have licensed so they used it three or four times in a loving 80 minute movie.)

Eh, it's pretty thin. I dunno if there's enough there to sustain even a whole hour of riffing.

Can always stick a short or two in with it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m reading Paladin and while it’s character creation is pretty involved and has a lot of random rolling I just read the bit about how to calculate if your character goes to heaven if they die and it won me over

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wrapping this back around to tabletop games, remember when Anastasia Romanov was a major NPC in a Pathfinder adventure path? https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Anastasia_Nikolaevna

quote:

Anastasia is the secret daughter of Tsarina Alexandra and Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin, and through her father, the granddaughter of Baba Yaga.

In the Earth year AD 1918, after Anastasia and her family were executed by Russia's new Bolshevik government, Rasputin resurrected her from a lock of her hair to serve as a fail-safe in case he or his sister Elvanna failed in their plan to usurp their mother. He put Anastasia in a monastery within the Akuvskaya prison camp, from which she was later rescued by a band of adventurers from Golarion who sought to thwart Elvanna and Rasputin's plan.[2]

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wrapping this back around to tabletop games, remember when Anastasia Romanov was a major NPC in a Pathfinder adventure path? https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Anastasia_Nikolaevna

That is so dumb. Like I really thought it was gonna be one of those "let's model a court intrigue off of a found daughter of a deposed ruler" and basically do a wink and nod, not literally have reincarnated people from the real world as npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, Rasputin Must Die! was a rather weird module.