Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Not gonna lie everything I'm hearing about the Snyder Cut is bonkers enough that I kind of want to see it now

I already got the HBO Max subscription so gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A writer at io9 claims they talked to someone who actually knows what the cameo is and they confirmed it is just Martian Manhunter Which is definitely the most boring answer.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Honestly I think it was pretty loving funny to include that in the trailer. It's like that moment in X-Men 3 where Juggernaut shouts, "I'm the Juggernaut bitch!" and I thought I was having a stroke because internet memes should not be in actual movies. Except now I embrace the hell-timeline we live in and am just rolling with the stupid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Feldegast42 posted:

Not gonna lie everything I'm hearing about the Snyder Cut is bonkers enough that I kind of want to see it now

I already got the HBO Max subscription so gently caress it

Same boat here. Should I watch Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman first?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Len posted:

Same boat here. Should I watch Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman first?

Might as well. Do the Ultimate Edition of BvS, it's markedly better than the theatrical cut.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Christ that's damning of the theatrical cut. The BvS long cut was awful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Well yeah, the theatrical makes no sense and sucks rear end.

Extended rules.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The theatrical cut removes the part where the reason Superman couldn't see the bomb in the wheelchair being because it was made of lead. In the theatrical cut he just lets a bomb blow up Congress for no reason.

The theatrical cut is literally, and that's literally meaning literally, nonsense.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Asterite34 posted:

Oh wow, MY mom's name is ALSO Martha!

...are we still making fun of that? I can't keep track

Guest star no-girl

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Martha_Johansson_(Earth-616)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is the bvs extended cut good only because it adds comic book reasons to plot contrivances

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Vince MechMahon posted:

The theatrical cut removes the part where the reason Superman couldn't see the bomb in the wheelchair being because it was made of lead. In the theatrical cut he just lets a bomb blow up Congress for no reason.

The theatrical cut is literally, and that's literally meaning literally, nonsense.

Oh my god that is amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Oh my god that is amazing.

If it were true it would be.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Beachcomber posted:

I saw a billboard near my house that said "Not all Superheroes wear capes" with a picture of nurses or something.

Now to be fair,
1. not all Superheroes do wear capes
And
2. Their heart was in the right place

But that's complete nonsense. Super heroes are superheroes because they have superhuman abilities, or at least enough money to simulate the former.

Nurses and Doctors and Firefighters are big drat REAL heroes.

Soldiers and cops can be heroes if they actually do something heroic, but not until then.

Just remember that someone probably put that billboard up to distract from the fact that none of those people get paid enough (note: does not apply to cops, who are, in fact, all bastards)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

If it were true it would be.

It is true. What are you even talking about?

E: To elaborate on exactly what happens cause this clown is acting like it's not true, in the theatrical cut he says he "couldn't see it" and it's immediately dropped and never brought up again.

In the extended version there's an entire sequence with Lois getting information about the device and it's composition, finding out about the lead, and using that to clear Superman's name.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 24, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

It is true. What are you even talking about?

He doesn't let them get blown up for no reason. He is blindsided because he's distracted. In case you're not great at inferrence, he actually tells you this in the next scene.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DC Murderverse posted:

Just remember that someone probably put that billboard up to distract from the fact that none of those people get paid enough (note: does not apply to cops, who are, in fact, all bastards)

I've been assured by people on Facebook that they get paid the correct wage and that minimum wage should stay low to not undervalue those jobs

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

He doesn't let them get blown up for no reason. He is blindsided because he's distracted. In case you're not great at inferrence, he actually tells you this in the next scene.

Except for the fact that in the extended edition there is literally an entire cut subplot about it being made of lead. So yes, they edited around it as best they could, but Superman not being able to hear or see that bomb, or move fast enough to stop it, is fuckin nonsense. If you're a Snyder weirdo, why the gently caress are you defending a choice he didn't make in a cut of the film he didn't have final say on?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

but Superman not being able to hear or see that bomb, or move fast enough to stop it, is fuckin nonsense.

go on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's Superman and is shown both before and after doing several things that are more impressive than hearing or seeing a bomb and flying it away. It is also clearly something Snyder himself thought, again, seeing as he filmed and added back in an entire subplot about it. Again, I'm not sure why you are arguing in favor of a studio mandated cut that makes the movie worse and was one of the main talking points about why it sucked when it first came out. Seriously, Google this scene. Every discussion is about it being really dumb, because it makes no sense. Which is because the thing explaining it was cut.

E: It also makes Lex be at least somewhat smart instead of just lucky. In the theatrical cut he only wins there because Superman just... Didn't stop it. When we know he clearly could due to his established power set, again. In the real version Lex at least did some research and used a weakness to his advantage.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 24, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
This is literally the exact same loving thing as people claiming that the reason the jedi in the prequels couldn't tell that chancellor palpatine was darth sidious was because he cast a literal Dark Side spell on them, rather than them being loving idiots.

characters don't see things! they make mistakes! the whole point of the scene is that superman is fallible and lex is making a very big point of his fallibility!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

ok yeah these are even more reason not to suffer through a longer version of the movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I know full well that the DC of BvS is more coherent but I enjoy it much less. Plots suck idgaf about plots

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ungulateman posted:

This is literally the exact same loving thing as people claiming that the reason the jedi in the prequels couldn't tell that chancellor palpatine was darth sidious was because he cast a literal Dark Side spell on them, rather than them being loving idiots.

characters don't see things! they make mistakes! the whole point of the scene is that superman is fallible and lex is making a very big point of his fallibility!

Yes. By using his weakness, lead. And no it's not exactly like that as the scenes were written, shot, and added into the directors cut of the film. Why are you acting like this is not the case and it's a fan theory?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

In the theatrical cut he only wins there because Superman just... Didn't stop it.

It's actually because Superman is distracted (which he tells you. You don't even have to infer it)

Since Tactical realism can be fun, play out the scene where he tries to stop it. This Superman is shown to not be particularly nimble at high speed. In fact, Man of Steel shows him to be pretty clumsy when he tries to use it. So, he enters the room, sees/hears the bomb, flies across very quickly and...what? Lex clearly has eyes in the room since the bomb detonates right after Superman enters and the moment Superman looks at him (in fact, the theatrical cut implies that, in that moment, Superman realised what was about to happen, mirroring the senator realising what's about to happen) so the moment Superman moves to do whatever it is you think he can do, Lex detonates anyway.

The only thing he might have been able to do is, say smash the wheelchair and the bomb through the wall. Given that the bomb is powerful enough to take out most of the building, the same people die. He could shield the bomb, throwing himself on the grenade, so to speak, and that might work, or it might simply redirect the explosion.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 24, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

E: gently caress it nevermind. It is impossible to have any conversation about these movies without people being enormous weirdos about it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/soleimanistomb/status/1364389704502833157

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm cracking up at the twitter disclaimer

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok yeah these are even more reason not to suffer through a longer version of the movie.

Only if you are into CinemaSins-level nitpicks. Superman literally (gosh, Vince MechMahon you really love that word) says "I didn't see it because I didn't look" and the movie up to that point is literally about how Superman is struggling with staying down to earth and focused on what he feels needs to be done as the world goes crazy about his existence. He didn't see the bomb in the wheelchair because he literally couldn't look the guy who sat on it in the eyes. Complaining about this almighty Superman bullshit is literally some of the dumbest ways to go about criticizing the movie, and to mix in some shots at Snyder fans is lovely and lazy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm cracking up at the twitter disclaimer

It is amazing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The theatrical cut of BVS is weaker, but it’s not because of ‘plot holes’. It’s simply an alternate narrative, as opposed to just a shorter version of the same narrative.

In the theatrical cut, Superman is more plainly fallible. He doesn’t scan people to check for bombs because he trusts them, then this guy tries to assassinate him & kills a bunch of innocent people in the process.

In the “Ultimate Edition”, the entire thing is a troll by Lex Luthor to prey on the characters’ insecurities. There are dozens of small changes like that, that completely alter the story.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Only if you are into CinemaSins-level nitpicks. Superman literally (gosh, Vince MechMahon you really love that word) says "I didn't see it because I didn't look" and the movie up to that point is literally about how Superman is struggling with staying down to earth and focused on what he feels needs to be done as the world goes crazy about his existence. He didn't see the bomb in the wheelchair because he literally couldn't look the guy who sat on it in the eyes. Complaining about this almighty Superman bullshit is literally some of the dumbest ways to go about criticizing the movie, and to mix in some shots at Snyder fans is lovely and lazy.

I like the movie, dumbass. I never said anything about Snyder fans, just the weirdos like you who are so brain wormed that you can't tell the difference between someone insulting him and thinking a cut mandated by the studio is bad and his version makes more sense and is better. Because you're loving weirdos who cannot have a normal conversation about these movies. I am done talking about it. His directors cut is the better version of the movie, and cutting an entire subplot wasn't a great move by the studio. The version with the stuff he shot was better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The theatrical cut of BVS is weaker, but it’s not because of ‘plot holes’. It’s simply an alternate narrative, as opposed to just a shorter version of the same narrative.

In the theatrical cut, Superman is more plainly fallible. He doesn’t scan people to check for bombs because he trusts them, then this guy tries to assassinate him & kills a bunch of innocent people in the process.

In the “Ultimate Edition”, the entire thing is a troll by Lex Luthor to prey on the characters’ insecurities. There are dozens of small changes like that, that completely alter the story.

It's interesting how the theatrical cut also makes Superman slightly more opaque. We spend less time with him, leaving the audience more time with Batman. We end up, a lot of the time, only seeing what Batman sees of Superman, and so its clearer how Luthor preys on that restricted viewpoint.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like the movie, dumbass. I never said anything about Snyder fans, just the weirdos like you who are so brain wormed that you can't tell the difference between someone insulting him and thinking a cut mandated by the studio is bad and his version makes more sense and is better. Because you're loving weirdos who cannot have a normal conversation about these movies. I am done talking about it. His directors cut is the better version of the movie, and cutting an entire subplot wasn't a great move by the studio. The version with the stuff he shot was better.

Both takes make sense, though. In both versions, he wasn't looking and so didn't see it. The thing is, Luthor couldn't anticipate this very human dimension of him and so guards against him in case he is a flawless robot who never gets distracted.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the point of the bomb is that, yes it adds an acceptable reason for Superman to miss it, but he says to Lois "I'm afraid I didn't see it because I wasn't looking". He doesn't accept the scapegoat, and internalizes his culpability in the bombing enough to question whether Superman as a concept is even valid.

I think the theatrical cut is more interesting in some ways because it doesn't provide concrete answers to things like whether or not Superman killed those people in Africa, or if he could have stopped the bomb and chose not to. While the Ultimate Edition proves that Superman is being set up by Luthor as a villain, the theatrical cut asks the audience to take Superman at his word, and I wonder if people's enjoyment of it are at all related to whether or not they believe him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, that the theatrical cut Lex Luthor takes advantage of Superman's psychology, that he is inclined to trust people, is one of the reasons I prefer it of the two cuts. Taking advantage of one of the weaknesses in his powers (as the extended cut changes it to) strikes me as less compelling because it's just a villain successfully navigating rock-paper-scissors, but I guess they were right to do so given the way some people apparently bounce off of a character making a mistake for human reasons.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm no lover of BvS, but that scene in Congress absolutely was not one of the things I thought was a problem. It's obvious that Supes doesn't want to look the guy in the eye, as he feels very guilty about causing the situation that destroyed the dude's life. He didn't see the bomb not because of some galaxy-brained techno solution of Lex, but because he was mentally fallible and NEVER LOOKED, thus he "didn't see it". It made sense in the movie, cutting the lead changed the story but didn't make the story worse in any way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

It's interesting how the theatrical cut also makes Superman slightly more opaque. We spend less time with him, leaving the audience more time with Batman. We end up, a lot of the time, only seeing what Batman sees of Superman, and so its clearer how Luthor preys on that restricted viewpoint.

Right, the big difference is specifically that Lois and Clark Kent both get full plotlines: Lois uncovers Luthor’s conspiracy plot, while Clark investigates Batman’s wrongdoings. The studio obviously wanted to maximize the amount of superhero punch-time, so those parts were cut.

Removing those parts of the film, however, necessitated major changes to both the plot and the overall story. Superman’s opposition to Batman was made more ‘personal’, while the events are objectively different - depicting a world where casual cruelty is more of the norm.

For example, in the Theatrical Cut, Superman first attracts Luthor’s attention when he stumbles into a proxy war between Lexcorp and the CIA.

In the Ultimate Edition, Lex is already plotting against Superman, and there is no proxy war. Lex is just throwing some guns into an existing conflict, so that he can covertly field-test a new line of anti-Superman weaponry for sale to the US government.

Some people are arguing that the part about the US government preparing for war against the ‘metahumans’ is missing from the theatrical, but it’s really just a different story.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I've seen both versions and they both are terrible but I'll probably watch them many more times (though maybe not as often as I thought if this gets locked away on streaming and never gets played repeatedly on cable any more, I must have seen it 10+ times at the gym back when we could go to gyms)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

*superbastards

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best reason to watch the Ultimate Cut is that it has a bunch of scenes of Clark as a reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vince MechMahon posted:

E: gently caress it nevermind. It is impossible to have any conversation about these movies without people being enormous weirdos about it.

Did you type this with a straight face?