Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

That game somehow made the orcs appear so human while your main character is a terrifying mind-rapist running a two-person orc illuminati.

All too fitting given 'We were all Orcs in the Great War'. IIRC, it's strongly implied that mind control is a thing all of Sauron's orcs have on some level, especially when his forces personally intervene, and probably no coincidence the protagonist ends up a Ringwraith in the postgame, while the other half ends up half of the Eye of Sauron. The Orcs are a military-industrial complex in its purest form, and their individuality makes it all the more tragic. I do like that they basically play into a player character's behaviour license as showing how such power without consequence inevitably ends up making just another monster, and turning evil against itself matters little in the long run when the ideas of evil remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if the entirety of harry potter had been released 30 years before, it would be fondly remembered and people would more readily make excuses for the shoddy writing and horrible author

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cythereal posted:

Which is why I said that assuming it wasn't deliberate, it was extraordinarily tone deaf. Which I think Harry Potter in general was about issues of race and class, and the series had the poor timing to be released right before issues of race and class started to become really important and present in the popular consciousness of young people.

That's true to an extent, but if you look at someone like Enid Blyton, probably the most prolific British children's writer ever (I think she's still sold more books than Rowling) - her books were criticised for racist characters as far back as the 60s, and even in the 80s were being revised to remove racist characters and archaic plot points. So it's not like Rowling would have been unaware of the kind of issues she could encounter, she's just totally unable to see her own prejudices or disinterested in challenging them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That does make a lot of sense. What was new about Rowling wasn't the content, but the format. Has possibly been said, but if Animorphs was released in a more reader-friendly format, it might have the cachet Harry Potter does now. Publishers in the 90s didn't think that young people wanted to read novel-length stories.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MSJ posted:

That game somehow made the orcs appear so human while your main character is a terrifying mind-rapist running a two-person orc illuminati.

Some of the incidental dialogue in that game was great. I ran into some orcs that were pretty convinced that "Sauron" was just some bullshit their overseers made up to keep them in line and they could just walk right on out and no one would stop them.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

The MSJ posted:

No joke, they're half the reason why orcs are my favorite commonly used fantasy race. I really love how reactive they are to everything you do, and I feel some remorse every time I accidentally shame one into insanity.

I feel kind of bad for Celebrimbor, though. From what I hear, he's much more decent in the Silmarillion, but in the Middle-Earth: Shadow games, he's a raging dickhead. An entertaining raging dickhead, but still.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Supersonic Shine posted:

No joke, they're half the reason why orcs are my favorite commonly used fantasy race. I really love how reactive they are to everything you do, and I feel some remorse every time I accidentally shame one into insanity.

He didn't want the fort anyway.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whenever I think of Shadows of Mordor I just remember the micro-outrage over a clever enough tutorial where sneaking up on your wife with flowers is used to teach you how to later quietly kill orcs in cold blood. The article that started it insisted that the developers had no idea what they were implying.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Neurolimal posted:

Whenever I think of Shadows of Mordor I just remember the micro-outrage over a clever enough tutorial where sneaking up on your wife with flowers is used to teach you how to later quietly kill orcs in cold blood. The article that started it insisted that the developers had no idea what they were implying.

Haha that's dumb as hell

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Whenever I think of Shadow of Mordor, I think of the Mega64 skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG_PuxFDwPw

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly "the next generation's iteration of Indi's style of masculine adventurer would be a greaser" was not a bad idea at all.

Its so boring. The archetype is only interesting as a way to rebel against authority. And.who is Shia supposed to be rebelling against...the hero we actually like?

Plus he wasnt a character as much as a faded character type

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I somehow can’t bring myself to watch any of these “way too late” sequels because they almost never pan out and end up leaving you disappointed and sad. Fury Road is the only exception I can think of at the moment, and they didn’t bring Mel Gibson back thirty years later.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I somehow can’t bring myself to watch any of these “way too late” sequels because they almost never pan out and end up leaving you disappointed and sad. Fury Road is the only exception I can think of at the moment, and they didn’t bring Mel Gibson back thirty years later.

Mel Gibson seems like he would have been great for the role too, if he just hadn't had such a toxic personality off set.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They were going to let Mel be in the Chicken Run sequel until Winona Ryder revealed the that he’d called her an “oven dodger” back in the 90s.

What annoys me about him is that he’s had so many chances, despite never really apologizing for his behavior, and still continues to screw up.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Its so boring. The archetype is only interesting as a way to rebel against authority. And.who is Shia supposed to be rebelling against...the hero we actually like?

Plus he wasnt a character as much as a faded character type

I mean, that could easily have been worked into the character, it's not like archaeology has been without its problems. "It belongs in a museum." "Who's museum?"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casimir Radon posted:

They were going to let Mel be in the Chicken Run sequel until Winona Ryder revealed the that he’d called her an “oven dodger” back in the 90s.

What annoys me about him is that he’s had so many chances, despite never really apologizing for his behavior, and still continues to screw up.

drat he’s into some obscure vintage hatred.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Even for an Australian that's racist.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Spalec posted:

I'd love a few episodes of dumb Hobbit Drama.

The Baggins family have been talking poo poo about the Tooks new crop of Pipeweed or something equally silly.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hobbits are basically inserts of rural Englishmen, of course they have massive petty drama going on at all times.

The first few chapters of LOTR have a whole lot of petty hobbit drama going on in the background that Tolken was parodying and riffing off of

Part of the reason why the Sacksville Baggins threw in with Saruman during the Scouring was because they wanted Bilbo's hobbit hole iirc

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG_PuxFDwPw

Man, I feel bad when effort vids like this has less than a million views, whereas the creepy playing with sponsored toys videos having a hundred million views easily.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade Runner 2049

That's about it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Trainspotting 2 is a good sequel.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Linklater made a Before movie every 10 years and they're all good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

happyhippy posted:

Trainspotting 2 was a lot better than I think anyone was expecting it was going to be

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

Trainspotting 2 was a lot better than I think anyone was expecting it was going to be

Absolutely. Such a great sequel in so many ways

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Chairman Capone posted:

TIL that Mega64 is still around. Holy moly.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

happyhippy posted:

And one that very effectively uses the time that’s passed.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vandar posted:

TIL that Mega64 is still around. Holy moly.
They just do podcasts and make live action anime now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H48GPv4BZI

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The United States posted:

They just do podcasts and make live action anime now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H48GPv4BZI

That and the End of Evangelion one are pretty dang good.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Mel Gibson seems like he would have been great for the role too, if he just hadn't had such a toxic personality off set.

They should have had Mel Gibson play Immortan Joe.

I mean, he'd barely have to act at all since Joe is also a psychotic old man who hates women.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I’m fine with Gibson having no part in mad max any further because he’s a racist old psycho who doesn’t need any positive reinforcement for being a shitstain in public, and besides he seems happy enough watching from the sidelines anyway if stories about him at the fury road premiere are any indication.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Twin Peaks Season 3

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Samurai Jack

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ehh, Samurai Jack starts strong but really doesn't stick the landing.

Scooby-Doo and the 13th Ghost I need to see.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

fatherboxx posted:

Twin Peaks Season 3

I was just counting movies, there have been more than a few successful revivals of tv shows. The Before series certainly counts, and I haven't seen Trainspotting 2 but I swear I had only heard the usual "I guess it's fine, especially for twenty years later"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Colour Of Money is another exception, although it only won half as many Academy awards as The Hustler.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cythereal posted:

I think Rowling also had the poor timing of writing what is - intentionally or otherwise - a series that can be easily seen as profoundly, uncomfortably racist and classist right before the younger generation, the people who grew up with Harry Potter, started to get very aware of race and class issues.

That's a good observation. Boarding school adventures is a very common trope in English children's literature, despite how long it's been irrelevant or alien to most of the population and how closely it hews to the Tory ruling class. It's amazing how long it's been unchallenged in a country that is only belatedly recognising class and ethnic diversity, and seems incredibly creaky. Knowingly or unknowingly, Rowling plugged into that cliche just as it started to be questioned.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nonathlon posted:

That's a good observation. Boarding school adventures is a very common trope in English children's literature, despite how long it's been irrelevant or alien to most of the population and how closely it hews to the Tory ruling class. It's amazing how long it's been unchallenged in a country that is only belatedly recognising class and ethnic diversity, and seems incredibly creaky. Knowingly or unknowingly, Rowling plugged into that cliche just as it started to be questioned.

Boarding houses are great for children's books because there are no parents, mean authority figures to fight against, and the characters can just hang out with their friends most of the day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Boarding houses are great for children's books because there are no parents, mean authority figures to fight against, and the characters can just hang out with their friends most of the day.

Two Nickelodeon shows managed this even with their teen characters at home. In iCarly I think her father is in the Navy and her adult brother is her legal guardian. I don't remember how Victorious did this, but I think the parents just never show up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I demand more stories about latchkey kids whose single parent works two jobs. Boarding school stories are classist :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scooby-Doo and the 13th Ghost I need to see.
Don’t. I got curious and watched it, and the Zombie Island sort of sequel. Nothing there for the nostalgic, and I don’t even know if it would hold the attention of kids older than 8.