Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I'm stoked, but we have to wait until tomorrow to get a solid date.

If it's not a year ago imma be mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could someone explain what Clubhouse is for the uninitiated? I know I could just Google it, but it seems like one of those things I don't want in my search history.

What if you could HEAR people's dumb opinions?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Young Freud posted:

The Green Knight is back on the table!
https://twitter.com/TheGreenKnight/status/1391763605255688204?s=20
I'm stoked, but we have to wait until tomorrow to get a solid date.

I'm getting the second covid shot tomorrow... if I'm out of commission before the trailer comes out, no one's allowed to post about it until I wake up and watch it. This is now thread law

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Klowner posted:

I'm getting the second covid shot tomorrow... if I'm out of commission before the trailer comes out, no one's allowed to post about it until I wake up and watch it. This is now thread law

I don't want no trailer, I just want the drat movie :( preferably on stream because my first shot is still a distant theoretical.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Speaking of which, the trailer is out.
https://twitter.com/TheGreenKnight/status/1392102192358641665

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Only in theaters, gently caress :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So glad the chaos reigns fox got more work.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell yeah

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1392246528203390976

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Green Knight appears to be laser focused exclusively to me as the target audience but, uh, theaters are a no-go in Japan until like next year so good luck A24

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wish Green Knight came out last year. I really really want to see that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wish it had come out during the brief September reopening. I saw Personal History of David Copperfield in a drat theater then.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is the green knight straight up fantasy or is it just fakeout allegories and metaphors like Pans Labyrinth or something

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Knives Out 2 has already cast both David Bautista and Edward Norton. If Rian Johnson keeps this up, it might have the best cast ever again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is the green knight straight up fantasy or is it just fakeout allegories and metaphors like Pans Labyrinth or something

It’s definitely one of the weirder Arthurian tales but it’s basically all about honor and honesty.

I’m curious to see if the movie changes the ending. The original text ends with Gawain accepting a cloth from a Lady that will supposedly keep him from being beheaded by the Knight and lying about it to the Lady’s husband. The next day he goes out to meet the Green Knight and accept his beheading, but the Green Knight just gives him a small nick and reveals that he was the Lady’s husband and knew about Gawain trying to trick him all along. Gawain takes this lesson in honesty from the Knight and just goes back home to Camelot.

That ending works for text, but I could see it being a bit anticlimactic for a movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is this a Tarsem Singh joint? if it is not than me they don't got

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad green Knight is coming out after I got the vaccine, so I can go see it without worrying about covid. if it came out before then there's no way I'd see it

Segue
May 23, 2007

As someone working in public health in Ontario on vaccine rollout amid a billion other things, half of my motivation is saving lives and the other half is getting enough doses out to see this movie.

We may hit 60% of the population with first doses in June!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Collapsing Farts posted:

All the Arthurian legends are full of fantastical things, so its pretty straight up Fantasy. The movie does not appear to have any framing device like "let me read you this weird rear end tale, son" and its portraying Arthur's court as appropriately weird.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My understanding is that the actual knight isn't described as some kind of tree golem in the poem, so I think they may be getting a little more interpretive with this version.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Setting it up as a stealth prequel to the Green Children of Woolpit.

Actually I was joking but as I wrote that, that would be a good basis for a fantasy movie. Kind of a reverse-fairy abduction angle.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding is that the actual knight isn't described as some kind of tree golem in the poem, so I think they may be getting a little more interpretive with this version.

IIRC he's just got lots of pagan symbolism like leaves in his hair and junk. So no not literally a Tolkien Treant.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Weird, surreal, ethereal, hyperstylized should be the way these Arthurian films go. Too many myths and legends get told as boring historical epics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vegetable posted:

Weird, surreal, ethereal, hyperstylized should be the way these Arthurian films go. Too many myths and legends get told as boring historical epics.

:hmmyes:

When they told that poo poo back in the day they wouldn't have thought twice about dropping in a fight with a giant or something to spice it up

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

:hmmyes:

When they told that poo poo back in the day they wouldn't have thought twice about dropping in a fight with a giant or something to spice it up

Well yeah, but back then giants were, if not a matter of accepted historical fact, certainly less fantastical an addition

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So far Excalibur is the Arthur movie that I’ve seen that has preserved the most weirdness.

It’s been a long rear end time since there’s been a wide released ripoff of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, right? I can think of 3 from the 90s and early 00s off the top of my head and there’s probably a few more.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A24 always seems to put out great content.

Perhaps this movie there will be a swerve and the climax is a Michael Bay action fest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i've only seen two of their movies

Hereditary which was just garbage and Midsommar which was great

Green Knight looks like fun!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
This is really minor but I love Sean Harris's voice as Arthur. It really sets the tone for the trailer. That being said I am super hyped for this and cannot wait.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Gatts posted:

Perhaps this movie there will be a swerve and the climax is a Michael Bay action fest.

Aside from "Tusk" I agree A24 puts out great stuff, but that movie was godawful.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1392554965105840129?s=19

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Green Knight in the story has green skin and is transformed out of a human appearance so making him a tree man is frankly pretty in line

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Ms. Gadot, Mr. Hammer, thank you for joining us. What do you say to those who claim that Israel is eating Palestine alive right now?”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Armie: “I want to suck the blood from both sides’ toes”

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Armie couldn’t just be a regular Hollywood weirdo, had to go and be an over-achiever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm still fascinated that this CANNON FILMS version exists. Sean Connery with his little antler helm and glittery face lol, Miles O'Keefe's hair, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJzP13f0bs

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

If the previous film in the series is any indication, there is simply no need to salvage this turd. Dump it on Disney+.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still fascinated that this CANNON FILMS version exists. Sean Connery with his little antler helm and glittery face lol, Miles O'Keefe's hair, etc.

Did not know this existed, time to check it out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Omg this needs be watched

“Peter Cushing is.....some kind of medieval moff Tarkin”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gatts posted:

Good films you mean. Unless you mean they make other media too?