Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even as a kid it always confused me why they didn't set movies further in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

PeterCat posted:

(Predator 2)

I first watched Predator 2 in like, 2013 or something, so the fact that it was meant to take place in some kind of worst timeline future 90s rather than a heightend version of real-world 1997 LA was completely lost on me. I just assumed that the city really was overrun by gangs and they were openly carrying automatic weapons on the subway. And that LA had (has?) a subway. I have never been to America.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I saw 1/3rd of Guns Akimbo and man is it terrible and cringey. Does it get any better?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I saw 1/3rd of Guns Akimbo and man is it terrible and cringey. Does it get any better?

No, it's not even trashy fun.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I first watched Predator 2 in like, 2013 or something, so the fact that it was meant to take place in some kind of worst timeline future 90s rather than a heightend version of real-world 1997 LA was completely lost on me. I just assumed that the city really was overrun by gangs and they were openly carrying automatic weapons on the subway. And that LA had (has?) a subway. I have never been to America.

The Los Angeles Metro heavy rail lines are underground, but the B Line was a brand new thing in 1993 and had been planning since 1985, so the filmmakers in 1989 knew 1997 L.A. would have it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

WRONG!

The 2020 Bugatti Divo gets literally 10MPG. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42611

Admittedly an improvement over the SUX’s 8.2 MPG.

tbf that's a Bugatti, which isn't really a car meant for normal humans to actually drive and is more of a garage toy for the very, very rich.

the 2020 Dodge Charger, which is closer to how the 6000 SUX is treated in the movie (a relatively expensive and very powerful car, but one that's still in most people's reach as a daily driver), gets 19 city/30 highway, which is a little over double the 6000 SUX.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

which is a little over double the 6000 SUX.
If initiatives for better efficiency and fuel economy hadn't happened, the SUX would be prophetic.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked Guns Akimbo and thought it was fun.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PeterCat posted:

(Predator 2)

From last night in LA County:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPqE-HutvB0

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ego-bot posted:

I've always wondered why Ben Foster isn't having a better career. Absolutely stole the show in 3:10 to Yuma.

He does pretty well for himself. He chooses pretty heavy films and his one mainstream attempt at success with Warcraft was...not good(even though I unironically love that movie).

He was amazing in Hostiles in 2017 and did a few solid indies in 2018 and is the lead in Barry Levinsons next movie.

Hes just one of those strong leading actors whose happy doing a few decent to good movies a year and isnt chasing fame or credits. Probably makes a good paycheck from each movie without working non-stop, puts in some great work and enjoys not being a super famous actor. Youd be surprised how many actors like him deliberately have a very paced and professional approach to their craft and are happy not being "stars".

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 6, 2020

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Ennio morricone has left the mortal coil at age 91.

I cant decide what to watch in tribute

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think in the 90s or earlier if you made your movie set in 2000+ there was an expectation of futurism (flying cars, robots, lasers, automated....ball washing machines)

PeterCat posted:

(Predator 2)

i mean the fireworks in 2020...

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 6, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Once Upon a Time in the West or and The Mission.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Sacco and Vanzetti.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

l33tfuzzbox posted:

The Hateful Eight lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I just watched Django Unchained over the weekend and was wondering if he was still around when I saw his name pop up in the credits. Whelp

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Once Upon a Time in America, all of it at once.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I'm gonna be sad all day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Once Upon a Time in America, all of it at once.

I've been struggling with Once Upon a Time in American for a few years. I've watched it three times, each time with renewed hope that things will click into place and I'll see it for the magnum opus that it seems to be regarded as and it just never happens. I find the portion of the story with the younger actors to be terminally boring and everything else is fine but not good enough to compete with Leone's best work. But I often see people call it their favorite Leone so I don't know what I'm missing there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Another article on Quiby and its spectacular failure, has a lot of amazing anecdotes about Katzenberg being an S-Tier rich idiot, because of course

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-anyone-watching-quibi.html

quote:

Before Quibi even had a name, Katzenberg was singing the gospel of chapterized stories for your cell phone. “I believe there is going to be an enterprise ten years from now that will be as big as the television business is today,” he told a conference crowd in early 2017. He viewed the success of Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code, with its 105 chapters, as validation of the thesis that consumers want entertainment in small chunks. He believed that, despite most shortform video sites’ reliance on user-generated content, every medium has room for a premium offering. And he considered the TV streamers to be playing a different game altogether than what he was envisioning.

quote:

The investments helped secure a slate of A-list directors and producers for the launch of the app, which was no longer called NewTV. (It turned out — whoops — that there was already a company named NewTV.) The new name was Quibi. Katzenberg had originally wanted to call it Omakase, after the sushi tasting menus he enjoyed at least once a week at Nobu Malibu. “That would have really won over Wisconsin,” a former insider notes. Ultimately, Quibi won the day. “They never asked staff to weigh in on it,” this person says. “People on staff thought it was cringey and would ask, ‘Is it too late to change it?’ Meg loved it.” Though arguably no sillier-sounding than Hulu, Quibi would be roundly mocked by people who thought it sounded like a “quinoa-based doggy snack” or “the cry of an attacking Ewok.”

quote:

People have wondered why Katzenberg and Whitman, in their late and early 60s, respectively, and not very active on social media, would believe they have uniquely penetrating insight into the unacknowledged desires of young people. When I ask Whitman what TV shows she watches, she responds, “I’m not sure I’d classify myself as an entertainment enthusiast.” But any particular shows she likes? “Grant,” she offered. “On the History Channel. It’s about President Grant.”

quote:

Katzenberg is on his phone all the time, but he is also among the moguls of his generation who have their emails printed out (and vertically folded, for some reason) by an assistant. In enthusing about what a show could mean for Quibi, Katzenberg would repeatedly invoke the same handful of musty touchstones — America’s Funniest Home Videos, Siskel and Ebert, and Jane Fonda’s exercise tapes. When Gal Gadot came to the offices and delivered an impassioned speech about wanting to elevate the voices of girls and women, Katzenberg wondered aloud whether she might become the new Jane Fonda and do a workout series for Quibi. (“Apparently, her face fell,” says a person briefed on the meeting.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If we had a dedicated Quibi thread, I'd request the name to be changed to Quibi: That would have really won over Wisconsin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we regret to inform you the kids have canceled Grant

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I mean, YouTube video sized content with a high budget behind it isn't necessarily a bad idea. It just seems to have been executed staggeringly badly in this case.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What if TikTok. But deep story seems bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Red Bones posted:

I mean, YouTube video sized content with a high budget behind it isn't necessarily a bad idea. It just seems to have been executed staggeringly badly in this case.

YouTube video sized content with a high budget behind it as a premium service definitely is a bad idea, content and marketing execution aside.

e: YouTube already has so many premium videos—it's their monetized content. Yeah, they don't have high budgets, but that's because high-budget content is not a good match for the format. Just look at YouTube Red's failure.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 6, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fatherboxx posted:

Another article on Quiby and its spectacular failure, has a lot of amazing anecdotes about Katzenberg being an S-Tier rich idiot, because of course

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-anyone-watching-quibi.html

This does explain what they were actually going for, at least: premium youtube videos.

Red Bones posted:

Yeah, it in no way would require establishing an entirely new and separate platform.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

YouTube video sized content with a high budget behind it as a premium service definitely is a bad idea, content and marketing execution aside.

and you know who could have told quibi it was a bad idea? Youtube Red

at least they had the decency to let you watch on a desktop

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also David Lynch but at least you could write him off as an elitist.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fatherboxx posted:

"Though arguably no sillier-sounding than Hulu"

I feel there might be a large number of people in Hawaii who would think differently.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Didn't Youtube just pull the plug on a lot of their scripted stuff, hence their only good show, Cobra Kai, is on another platform for the new season? They still try to get me to pay for premium youtube though even though I mostly use it to stream music or track down obscure tv shows to download (hello Van-Pires!)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Tars Tarkas posted:

Didn't Youtube just pull the plug on a lot of their scripted stuff, hence their only good show, Cobra Kai, is on another platform for the new season? They still try to get me to pay for premium youtube though even though I mostly use it to stream music or track down obscure tv shows to download (hello Van-Pires!)

My understanding is they tried to do exactly what Quibi is doing right now, only for it to fail massively. Almost all of YouTube Red (rebranded as YouTube Premium) content is now very low budget comedy and reality television that leans heavily on appearances from famous YouTubers and influencers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm a huge YouTube stan. Yes, it's got so, so much garbage on it. Yes, it's got a terrible community. Yes, influencers are dumb. Yes, its business practices are awful. But from a content standpoint, it's what I've always wished TV could be—an incredible place for niche non-fiction content.

Trying to backfit that into a traditional television mold is just so wrongheaded.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

fatherboxx posted:

The investments helped secure a slate of A-list directors and producers for the launch of the app, which was no longer called NewTV. (It turned out — whoops — that there was already a company named NewTV.) The new name was Quibi. Katzenberg had originally wanted to call it Omakase, after the sushi tasting menus he enjoyed at least once a week at Nobu Malibu. “That would have really won over Wisconsin,” a former insider notes. Ultimately, Quibi won the day. “They never asked staff to weigh in on it,” this person says. “People on staff thought it was cringey and would ask, ‘Is it too late to change it?’ Meg loved it.” Though arguably no sillier-sounding than Hulu, Quibi would be roundly mocked by people who thought it sounded like a “quinoa-based doggy snack” or “the cry of an attacking Ewok.”

Why do they always act like the Midwest is full of uncultured rubes when as far as I can tell rich people on the coasts can be just as tacky and ignorant as anyone else in the world?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah I mean have you seen the shell art off the pch

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
They're the flyover states, so clearly there isn't anything worthwhile there. It's just farmers, corn, and where country music reigns supreme, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Colostomy Bag posted:

About the only thing the movie didn't get right was the 6000SUX with (guessing here) 10 MPG or something. At least we made strides on that one.

Thinking about it, the only realistic bit about the police was the copbot shooting the armed, then unarmed white man. For accuracy, it should have ignored him and shot the black guy.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/melstonemusic/status/1280151509444046851?s=21
:thunk:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean she kinda did that in the True True movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Come to think of it, why didn't Quibi have any animated content? Throwback to Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes style shorts, since classic cartoons are all the rage now.