Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wizardofloneliness posted:

Romeo + Juliet is probably the best movie we watched in high school. We watched part of the 1968 version too, but I don't remember anything about that other than my teacher telling everyone to "be mature please" during that one scene.

Romeo + Juliet was still in theaters when I was at that point in high school, so I never got around to seeing it.

The thing about the 1968 version is, I don't even remember that one scene. I remember the teacher making a huge deal about it, but then not noticing it, which, being a 15 year old at the time, who grew up to be a titty enthusiast, you would think I would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In drama class we watched Julie Taymor's Titus on a projector. I thought it was loving rad. I brought one of my Space Marine Bikers in to show the teacher afterwards since the opening sequence with the Roman soldiers gave me such vibes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We had to have permission slips from our parents to watch the ‘68 version of R&J, lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
May want to be careful suggesting 90s Troma. I don't remember Tromeo and Juliet all that much, but Terror Firmer is disgustingly transphobic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did none of you have teachers who just knew exactly when and where to slam a file folder against the tv to block that nipple?

Also, I spent several years thinking that Olivia Hussey and Jenny Augutter were the same person because I saw Logan’s Run on cable late at night around the same time and merged the two in my imagination because of Michael York and mid-century British nudity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Corky the IX posted:

May want to be careful suggesting 90s Troma. I don't remember Tromeo and Juliet all that much, but Terror Firmer is disgustingly transphobic.

The only thing I remember about Tromeo and Juliet was that there were a million posters for it all over the video game Redneck Rampage. That's pretty much how I learned about the existence of Troma.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wait, Romeo plus Juliet is a baz luhrmann joint? Lmao I'll pass thanks. the great Gatsby was a disaster and I turned Moulin Rouge off after 15 minutes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s not a musical fwiw

Feels like one sometimes

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I have extremely vague memories of Tromeo and Juliet (I saw it like once) and the incest angleis what stands out most in my memory of that movie.

Also Romeo+Juliet is really good and I rewatched that fairly recently. The 68 version is fine for a more straight forward period costume style Shakespeare adaptation. I also remember there being some kerffule about the 3 seconds of nipple you see in that movie when we watched it in school.

Still not as bad as my freshman science teacher showing us the X-Files movie and covering the screen when Mulder and Scully almost kiss. Which confused the gently caress out of me because I'd already seen the movie. Also I can not remember what her justification for showing us the X-Files movie was, but she did. I learned nothing in that class lol.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 5, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My awkward "movie at school" story is watching Quest for Fire in like 5th or 6th grade. Only think I remember about that experience is a sex scene popping up, me covering my eyes and the teacher yelling "This movie is recommended by the Ministry of Education!"

Edit: This was a Catholic school, BTW.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 5, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Mine was a teacher about to show us Ghandi saying how a student laughed during the scene where he gets shot and calling him trash

He plays us the movie and when Ghandi gets shot a girl immediately laughed before catching herself. He noticed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I saw a few movies from checked out teachers, I most vividly recall Remo Wiliams.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Another awkward experience was when we went on a field trip in high school to a museum where the only thing we did was watch Ridicule. A movie that opens for no adequately explained reason with a guy peeing on a bed ridden old man, with a shot of his dick taking up the entire screen. As you'd expect, there was no discussion amongst the students of anything in the movie other than that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We watched Excalibur in class and while we got a talking to about the breasts in the sex scene, everyone was more laughing that the guy was in full armor and wondering how in the world he was even having sex.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Which was the 60’s-70’s Macbeth rendition that had a real brutal and vivid decapitation at the climatic fight?

‘Cause, uh, that’s the one I saw in class.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
From the other side of the table, I have mentioned Midsommar in my Religios Education class and a week later a student approached me to tell me she watched it and how hosed up it was. That was great.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Which was the 60’s-70’s Macbeth rendition that had a real brutal and vivid decapitation at the climatic fight?

I think that's the one Hugh Hefner produced. I saw that in an English class.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Our 6th grade band teacher played Creepshow 2 at the end of the year, full R-rated version. No idea how he thought that was a good idea, but as far as I know he never got in trouble for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So what you're saying is it was a good idea.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It was an amazingly awesome idea as far as a bunch of 6th graders were concerned!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

From the other side of the table, I have mentioned Midsommar in my Religios Education class and a week later a student approached me to tell me she watched it and how hosed up it was. That was great.

One time when I worked at a college library, a woman came up and wanted to check out Audition. She asked me what it was about but I said it was supposed to be a surprise, though I did point out the adults-only warning on the case. I thought she would come back furious at me, but instead she came back and said "Ooh, that was a good movie! That woman sure was weird!"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Was it the one with the witches being completely naked old women?. Cause I remember seeing that in 8th grade

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

B-Rock452 posted:

Was it the one with the witches being completely naked old women?. Cause I remember seeing that in 8th grade

I love every iteration of this

witches get nekkid, hail satan

The Little Hours, and The VVitch

And throw in Rosemary's Baby

Not sure if there is a big fat hairy lesbian bush in that last one but there should be

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
One time a teacher put on Saving Private Ryan in a math class for no explainable reason at our high school and it caused a huge stir with the parents and became a sort of running joke that whenever a teacher would put on a film in any class someone would ask "are we watching Saving Private Ryan?"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I watched Rocky 3 in American History and I think that's pretty appropriate

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I watched Rocky 3 in American History and I think that's pretty appropriate

The one where he fights Clubber Lang? Not the 4th where he punches communism in it's face?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Len posted:

The one where he fights Clubber Lang? Not the 4th where he punches communism in it's face?
Yeah, she used the training montage with Apollo as an example of the progress made with racial harmony.

We also watched clips of Rocky 5 (not the whole movie) and I don't remember why

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Goddamn my school sucked in comparison. If it rained the gym teacher would put on The Natural or The Sandlot. Those are the only movies I remember watching in the entirety of high school and we watched them multiple times. Think I've got a subconscious dislike of Robert Redford because of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sirotan posted:

Goddamn my school sucked in comparison. If it rained the gym teacher would put on The Natural or The Sandlot. Those are the only movies I remember watching in the entirety of high school and we watched them multiple times. Think I've got a subconscious dislike of Robert Redford because of it.

Hoosiers was a real popular movie that I've still never seen the entire thing of

It was either roll that out or they busted out the mostly flat basketballs

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I remember watching Rudy in some class but I can’t remember why.

Watching the Spanish-language VHS version of The Two Towers was my Spanish teacher’s default hangover day.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had a summer school science class between 8th and 9th grade and at the end of the summer we watched a bootleg copy of Blair witch project before it was released.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I remember watching Rudy in some class but I can’t remember why.

Watching the Spanish-language VHS version of The Two Towers was my Spanish teacher’s default hangover day.

We watched Rudy in 9th grade home ec for some reason. I remember asking why she was fast forwarding the dvd I stead of using chapter skip and not understanding "because I know what timestamp we were at"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hannah John-Kamen has been cast as Red Sonja in a new movie. That's if the movie actually happens since this is one of those long rumbling projects that never actually happens.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
End of year in Science class, some kid had a copy of Swordfish, one of the most fantastically trashy films ever made, and we put that on. We watched 'Dude Where's My Car' the next day.

muscles like this! posted:

Hannah John-Kamen has been cast as Red Sonja in a new movie. That's if the movie actually happens since this is one of those long rumbling projects that never actually happens.

This goes back, at least, to the release of Planet Terror. Rodriguez was attached and Rose McGowan was going to star. Then Rose McGowan became a 'difficult' actress, and we now know what that means.

Didn't it most recently have Bryan Singer and the creepy producer who was protecting him attached? Cursed fuckin' movie.

joylessdivision posted:

I think that's the one Hugh Hefner produced. I saw that in an English class.

And directed by Roman Polanski. It's really loving violent. The first shot is a guy wandering a battlefield, finding someone still alive, and beating him to death with a ball and chain, taking big chunks of flesh off with every blow.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Yeah, she used the training montage with Apollo as an example of the progress made with racial harmony.

This is my new favourite sentence.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of my classes my junior year in high school put on Amistad. Yes, with all the full nudity. I remember one particular group of girls in class who cheered every time they saw a penis.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 6, 2021

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

There was one year, I think it was on the second to last day of school. No one cared anymore and we were all just waiting to get out. The principal came on the intercom and announced that they were just going to show a movie instead. Everyone cheered. Our teacher rolled out the tv and turned it on. It was What Women Want.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

One of my classes my junior year in high school put on Amistad. Yes, with all the full nudity. I remember one particular group of girls in class who cheered every time they saw a penis.

I went to the wrong school.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There’s a scene in Amistad where the weaker slaves get tied to a big rock and dragged overboard. Pretty horrifying. I remember that when we watched it in school, but no dicks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

muscles like this! posted:

I’m friends with the person who runs the official Red Sonja Twitter and Instagram (and she’s married to Luke Lieberman, who owns Red Sonja) and she’s pretty convinced that the movie’s actually happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Enos Cabell posted:

It was an amazingly awesome idea as far as a bunch of 6th graders were concerned!

This makes me even more annoyed that we couldn’t watch Minority Report at our 5th/6th grade lock-in even though it was PG-13 because “it probably still isn’t appropriate for 11 year olds”

Minority Report fuckin’ owns they should make every 11 year old watch it idgaf if it’s about child abduction