Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Little Ben is so busy burning through sponsored content money that I’ll be surprised if the movie he wants to make with Gina gets off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Nobody, absolutely nobody greenlit Ben Shapiro.

Why the gently caress would they?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nobody liked his comedy screenplay about Harvard Law, so now anyone with half a brain gets to suffer.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Robot Style posted:

I've worked on a few movies like this, and the culprit tends to be when a director who doesn't have a lot of experience with large scale visual effects gets worried that the super rough animation they're seeing is underwhelming, or they notice that they're no longer being thrilled by an action sequence after seeing it every day for several months, and they start overcompensating by throwing more and more things into shots to make the sequences exciting again, and coming up with brand new ones that have impossible CG cameras that look nothing like anything else in the movie.
I think another issue is that you need a strong director to keep the VFX team exactly on their page, because animators wanna animate - if their job is "animate this guy who's standing behind the lead actors while they talk", their natural desire won't be to have their charge stay as still as possible. First they make the guy breathe, then maybe he looks back and forth between the two people talking, then maybe that still looks static and boring so they scratch an itch or crick their neck or shift their weight, or maybe they should do two of those things, or... and before you know it you've got loving Jar Jar jittering about like he's emoting in a silent movie.

I watched Ronin, and the "what's in the case?" scene made me think of this. De Niro's doing nearly all the talking, and he's gesticulating a little, but you've got some great actors (Jean Reno, Natasha McElhone, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgard) reacting almost by not reacting - everything's in their eyes, but you know exactly what they're thinking and feeling. I'm trying to imagine the CG version of that; in 95% of cases, the whole screen would just be a mass of twitching flesh and popping eyes, like a digital version of the orgy from Society.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BioEnchanted posted:

Karen is Get Out as written by Garth Marenghi.

Don't make me want to see that movie!!!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Something that HAS to be mentioned anytime CGI in movies come up: the CGI industry is built on studios bidding the VFX work at the beginning of production and giving it to the cheapest VFX house. These companies operate on razor-thin margins, and often times as production goes along, the scope of work needed increases, but not necessarily the pay. So the animators are overworked, often crunching and working unpaid overtime. That’s a big part of why a lot of CGI looks like poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What exactly is standing between them and a union like the rest of the industry? I know I've heard calls for it before but it seems like such a no-brainer.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
To contrast I will say that the best CGI I've seen in decades is Blade Runner 2049's Rachel reveal.

I remember audibly gasping when I first saw it.

There's a doc out there on this specific effect and they went through hell to pull it off but by god, it shows on the screen.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 22, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In Jurassic World 2 they aim their laser pointer at a guy in the audience so that the cgi super raptor will fruitlessly try to kill him, but then when it escapes it doesn't immediately slaughter that guy.

This is a filmmaking crime, total incompetence.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

To contrast I will say that the best CGI I've seen in decades is Blade Runner 2049's Rachel reveal.

Not to say it wasn't impressive, but my brain told me immediately that it was a cartoon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

What exactly is standing between them and a union like the rest of the industry? I know I've heard calls for it before but it seems like such a no-brainer.

CGI is a useful way to avoid having to pay real workers a decent wage, no union is gonna be allowed to happen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Speaking of CG...

https://twitter.com/sexyfacts4u/status/1407456427099176961

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm a page late, but I always heard that if it wasn't for Jurassic Park we would have gotten A
dinosaurs attack instead of Mars attacks. I don't care enough to find out if that's apocryphal or not

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There's a doc out there on this specific effect and they went through hell to pull it off but by god, it shows on the screen.

This was the same studio (and even the same CG/VFX supervisor) that did young Arnold for Terminator Genesys. Not so say Arnold looked bad, but it's cool to see how quickly things can improve from year to year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

feedmyleg posted:

too many scabs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I honestly thought this trailer was hilarious. Like in the best spirit of 70s era exploitation.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Do you know the name of the documentary and where it can be found?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Young Kurt Russell at the start of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was flawless.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Do you know the name of the documentary and where it can be found?

There's a few on YouTube that should cover it, but the short of it from what I know is that they scanned Sean Young's skull and muscles and used them for reference in building a model.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I honestly thought that was the least convincing CGI in the entire movie. They really made the job hard on themselves with that revolving lighting setup in that scene.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up and read this sentence:

I didn't know that good things were still possible in this world, but Walter Hill is directing a Willem Dafoe/Christoph Waltz western.

e: we do not mention the last decade or so of his career

I'm hype.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there any good article about why Hollywood loves Australian ladies? I feel like it's a recent phenomenon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hollywood has always loved aussies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chill but not insane divas like Americans

Professional but not stuck up like the British

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alan Smithee posted:

Chill but not insane divas like Americans

Russel Crowe just calmly but drunkenly beating up a dude over there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Russel Crowe just calmly but drunkenly beating up a dude over there.

no true Australiansman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Joke may be he's originally from New Zealand

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know it’s not exactly proper to say, but Chris Pratt needs to be chubby again. He needs to be a big goofy schlubby dude who bounces off the standard straight-edge leading man/woman in a comedy. The closest he’s come to pulling off a leading man role is Guardians, but even there he’s still overshadowed by the rest of the cast.

I mean Guardians works because he's a sympathetic loser rising to the occasion with the support of his fellow losers. Unfortunately Marvel also forced him to go full Hollywood-body and thus executives everywhere started typecasting him for roles where the guardians-dynamic can't cover up the gaps.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Joke may be he's originally from New Zealand

I wish, that was just plain ignorance on my part.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is there any good article about why Hollywood loves Australian ladies? I feel like it's a recent phenomenon.

Cheaper than Brits (who are far cheaper than Americans) and more likely to be to do accents because global audiences are used to British accents on screen but not Australian ones.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MiddleOne posted:

I mean Guardians works because he's a sympathetic loser rising to the occasion with the support of his fellow losers. Unfortunately Marvel also forced him to go full Hollywood-body and thus executives everywhere started typecasting him for roles where the guardians-dynamic can't cover up the gaps.

He doesn’t even work in Guardians, he gets upstaged by a CGI raccoon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lego Jurrassic World is better than whatever the hell the movies tried to be

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Jurassic World films are okay.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Scooby-Doo's latest team up is with Courage the Cowardly Dog, I'm so there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yku_UyiPE8

Also supposedly the group behind Scoob is going to make a sequel to that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure, why not? It fits. But mostly it makes my heart ache for a Gravity Falls/Scooby-Doo crossover.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MiddleOne posted:

Wasn't he already buff for Zero Dark Thirty? Or did Guardians shoot first and just take longer in post?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Scooby-Doo's latest team up is with Courage the Cowardly Dog, I'm so there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yku_UyiPE8

Also supposedly the group behind Scoob is going to make a sequel to that
I already conned myself into watching the 13 Ghosts and Zombie Island one and being seriously disappointed.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Disney is making a Tower of Terror movie, this time starring Scarlett Johansson, who is also producing. Last time this got announced years back it was stuck in development hell, but now they got the power of having a streaming platform the can dump it on if it looks like it's going to be bad

https://collider.com/scarlett-johansson-tower-of-terror-movie-disney/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Disney is making a Tower of Terror movie, this time starring Scarlett Johansson, who is also producing. Last time this got announced years back it was stuck in development hell, but now they got the power of having a streaming platform the can dump it on if it looks like it's going to be bad

yah they are making a Guardians sequel

didnt Scarlett die tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

They should make a movie about that particular park's greatest ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFYKpFkz9U