Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alan Smithee posted:

poor new mutants

finally came out and we just....didn't watch it. Even though there was nothing else to watch

I watched it.

Yep.

I sure did.

It had mutants who were new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Then a month later Queens Gambit came out. After all those delays they missed the Anya Taylor-Joy moment by a few weeks.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Didn't Maisie Williams just straight up go "don't watch it, it sucks"?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Didn't Maisie Williams just straight up go "don't watch it, it sucks"?

https://twitter.com/Maisie_Williams/status/1299410794862477314

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Is there any more info about a possible streaming release for the Green Knight? After they pulled it from UK distribution I read that there was speculation they might have done so so abruptly because they got offered a good deal by a streaming platform.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

is Jolt any good

ive literally never heard of it until today

Absolutely terrible. Looks like it cost 50 dollars. Impossibly bad writing.

Amazed that Amazons ttying to push it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Absolutely terrible. Looks like it cost 50 dollars. Impossibly bad writing.

Amazed that Amazons ttying to push it

They're still pushing The Tomorrow War and greenlit a sequel to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Green Knight apparently has a rating and release date in Australia but no idea where or when it's actually being shown.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I still refuse to believe New Mutants or The Man Who Killed Don Quixote ever came out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I caught New Mutants a couple months back and honestly thought it was pretty great, and definitely not the worst X-Men movie considering Wolverine: Origins and Apocalypse exist.

Edit: oh and Dark Phoenix, but I'm pretty sure I never actually saw that one

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 27, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When you’re only going to see X-Men for Quicksilver scenes….

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sirotan posted:

I caught New Mutants a couple months back and honestly thought it was pretty great, and definitely not the worst X-Men movie considering Wolverine: Origins and Apocalypse exist.

Edit: oh and Dark Phoenix, but I'm pretty sure I never actually saw that one

Maybe my brain has atrophied during quarantine, but I also thought New Mutants was pretty good. I liked the lower stakes, and re-centering it on what are basically marginalized queer youth was exactly the kind of thing that made older X narratives compelling for me. It had its flaws, like Magik being oddly racist or Dani/Wolfsbane being underdeveloped. But compared to the absolute trash installments FOX put out before it, it's a solid improvement.

It sucks that the common narrative now is, "New Mutants was bad and thank god X-Men are in the MCU." I want smaller, more personal X stories. I don't want huge world-ending tentpole stakes...that's part of why Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix sucked IMO. I want Logan and New Mutants, wanted Magneto: Nazi Hunter. Now we're going to get more Big Blockbuster poo poo but with even tamer politics and way more quips.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

wyoming posted:

I still refuse to believe New Mutants or The Man Who Killed Don Quixote ever came out.

Lost in La Mancha is the only Don Quixote film.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Apparently one of the reasons Don Quixote came out is because Adam Driver, who I just recently found out also starred in the film, somehow managed to secure the necessary funding to finally get the actual filming off the ground.

Also he was apparently a Marine at some point. That dude's career trajectory is just loving bonkers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Also he was apparently a Marine at some point. That dude's career trajectory is just loving bonkers.

Yeah, it's a big part of why he can't watch or listen to his performances. He was loving around on his bike and shattered his sternum a week before his unit shipped out to Iraq. He gets a medical discharge and goes into acting while his friends went to Iraq and and a good number didnt come home. Dudes carrying a lot of survivors guilt.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, it's a big part of why he can't watch or listen to his performances. He was loving around on his bike and shattered his sternum a week before his unit shipped out to Iraq. He gets a medical discharge and goes into acting while his friends went to Iraq and and a good number didnt come home. Dudes carrying a lot of survivors guilt.

Let this be a lesson to all, if you want to live and become a superstar, get into just a whole bunch of motorbike accidents.

The more, the more alive and famous you'll be.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So did the Transformer who talks through a garden hose.

Strangely only one series, Armada, has capitalised on Starscream's horny fanbase. In that show, he hates that Megatron is abusive and has a relationship with a human that lead him to sacrifcing himself to save the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOjuJwVW6yM

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Then a month later Queens Gambit came out. After all those delays they missed the Anya Taylor-Joy moment by a few weeks.

Watching The Queen's Gambit made me want to watch New Mutants because Anya Taylor-Joy is the most beautiful woman in the world.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

Strangely only one series, Armada, has capitalised on Starscream's horny fanbase. In that show, he hates that Megatron is abusive and has a relationship with a human that lead him to sacrifcing himself to save the world.

Watching The Queen's Gambit made me want to watch New Mutants because Anya Taylor-Joy is the most beautiful woman in the world.

New Mutants really is the only blunder she's been in that I have seen, and she is the most fun (and also problematic) part of it.

But yeah, the movie is far from the worst X-Men movie. I know opinions vary on which one is the worst, my vote goes to The Last Stand. New Mutants isn't that badly made, it's just kind of boring for such a fun premise and cast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

Though iirc he was only Starscream in the dub, and the character has pretty much nothing to do with how Starscream usually is besides being a jet plane; he comes off more as an attempt at BW Dinobot plus fangirl bait.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm trying to figure something out here. Isn't the Fassbender/McAvoy cast supposed to be the younger versions of the McKellan/Stewart cast? How the gently caress did they justify doing Dark Phoenix twice if it's the same characters?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That series is not at all concerned with continuity, so you'll drive yourself nuts if you try to line anything at all up between any given films. But if you must justify it, the time travel could've changed when and how things happened.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And I liked First Class...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

feedmyleg posted:

That series is not at all concerned with continuity, so you'll drive yourself nuts if you try to line anything at all up between any given films. But if you must justify it, the time travel could've changed when and how things happened.
Also Dark Phoenix happens after DoFP which does at least some kind of reset to the timeline. At the end of DoFP we see the original trilogy X-Men and I believe Jean is there

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

First class had a stinger of Jennifer Lawrence meet with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, signifying things she needs to deal with that led to nowhere because they didn't plan on a sequel to first class. The second wolverine movie also had some stinger suggesting Hugh Jackman and his Japanese ninja sidekick will do something, that led to nowhere either. They ultimately did days of future past to try to marry the two continuities, with the original x men trilogy future doomed to hell and them fixing things to ensure the first class continuity takes precedence, ending the original trilogy continuity altogether... if not for the fact dofp had a stinger that had Famke Jansen and kelsey grammar (both of the original trilogy) appearing, and Logan (the best x men movie) was released that suggested the original trilogy continuity is still intact in some way, and their exploits are illustrated in comic books suggesting a completely different continuity. And then they continued the first class contuinity with age of apocalypse and another dark Phoenix Saga, which were both awful, rendering everything a huge mess where fox wanted to have the best of both continuities but completely botching the first class continuity while fans get increasingly confused. Then they released new mutants, which references stuff both from Logan and first class, and then a demon bear appears to eat the villain and everything no longer makes sense. I probably got most of that wrong but if they have someone handling the x men lore in fox pre-acquisition they must have aged decades handling this poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't feel bad anymore.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So basically just like the comics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

First class had a stinger of Jennifer Lawrence meet with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, signifying things she needs to deal with that led to nowhere because they didn't plan on a sequel to first class.

I don't remember this at all.

Also, I don't know why so many people seemed to think that First Class was not meant to be in the same continuity as the older X-Men movies, given it opens by recreating the opening of X-Men 1, has the same X-Mansion and Cerebro and SR-75 X-Jet, British Professor X, Stryker's role as a CIA agent rather than televangelist, and has the cameos from Jackman and Rebecca Romijn as the older Mystique.

Also probably my favorite minor role in First Class is Oliver Platt as the MIB.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm trying to figure something out here. Isn't the Fassbender/McAvoy cast supposed to be the younger versions of the McKellan/Stewart cast? How the gently caress did they justify doing Dark Phoenix twice if it's the same characters?

Dark Phoenix is set six years before the first X-Men movie, so Fassbender turns into McKellan over what I can only imagine must be a really rough 1993-1998.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I probably got most of that wrong but if they have someone handling the x men lore in fox pre-acquisition they must have aged decades handling this poo poo.

So it's accurate to the X-Men comics lore.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is missing Dark Phoenix, which takes place in 1992.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The post-First Class X-Men movies give me kind of a headache because they’re all set 10 years apart and nobody ever gets any older. Havoc is like 20 years older than Cyclops but doesn’t look it, etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I see Agent 47 made his way into the mansion

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is missing Dark Phoenix, which takes place in 1992.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Magneto in particular always has the issue that “holocaust survivor” becomes increasingly untenable as an origin the farther we get from WWII.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

First class had a stinger of Jennifer Lawrence meet with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, signifying things she needs to deal with that led to nowhere because they didn't plan on a sequel to first class. The second wolverine movie also had some stinger suggesting Hugh Jackman and his Japanese ninja sidekick will do something, that led to nowhere either. They ultimately did days of future past to try to marry the two continuities, with the original x men trilogy future doomed to hell and them fixing things to ensure the first class continuity takes precedence, ending the original trilogy continuity altogether... if not for the fact dofp had a stinger that had Famke Jansen and kelsey grammar (both of the original trilogy) appearing, and Logan (the best x men movie) was released that suggested the original trilogy continuity is still intact in some way, and their exploits are illustrated in comic books suggesting a completely different continuity. And then they continued the first class contuinity with age of apocalypse and another dark Phoenix Saga, which were both awful, rendering everything a huge mess where fox wanted to have the best of both continuities but completely botching the first class continuity while fans get increasingly confused. Then they released new mutants, which references stuff both from Logan and first class, and then a demon bear appears to eat the villain and everything no longer makes sense. I probably got most of that wrong but if they have someone handling the x men lore in fox pre-acquisition they must have aged decades handling this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYJ6dIw_A6s

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Magneto in particular always has the issue that “holocaust survivor” becomes increasingly untenable as an origin the farther we get from WWII.
What's wrong with it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

What's wrong with it

In the 80s when Claremont introduced that character element, he was like a resistance fighter in his teens, and by 2000 he had to be basically a toddler to make the timeline kind of fit. I can imagine that after another cycle of movies we'll get people wondering why this guy cares about something that happened 100 years ago.

This is the same thing as Captain America, who in the 60s was just a young guy who had the same attitudes as guys in their 40s because he was only frozen for like 18 years but now has to be a total alien because he missed 80 years of history. Or the Punisher, who has to be in his mid 70s if he's a vietnam veteran.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

What's wrong with it

It's a specific point in time, so it locks you into a timeline where if Magneto is going to appear in the present day he has to be like 90 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vegetable posted:

What's wrong with it

Presumably because we'll reach a point where his magnet powers are less impressive than whatever mutation keeps him spry and active as a 130-year-old Holocaust survivor