Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Martman posted:

I'll accept that I am probably presenting a skewed version based on people reading what he said in bad and misunderstood ways. It's frustrating though because I distinctly remember finding a post by him (maybe from a Facebook post and not a tweet though) that was really hard not to read as somehow downplaying the magnitude of Tiananmen generally, but I can't find it at all with how this stuff gets scrubbed off the internet sometimes. I even posted it somewhere on SA and remember the response being like "oh.... drat" and I'll try to find what I was thinking of.

e: I think he may have suggested that the CIA helped fabricate the idea that tanks were actually used to kill anyone in that event, something along those lines

So I don’t recall that latter bit, but I’ll say that the CIA as synecdoche for American propaganda has heavily pushed the idea that the tanks/troops were used to put down the student protests in support of Hu Yaobang’s reform positions (they just say “democracy” which is vague enough to imply there was a significant push for US style bourgeois electoralism, which there wasn’t), and the best available evidence does not support that idea. Yaobang’s position won out almost completely, and those students went on to be the beneficiaries of the new capitalist system. The tanks were there to break the protestors who wanted to preserve the Iron Rice Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somebody edit this with a little arrow pointing to Moe's Bar

Oh, dear God, no!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm a sucker for any kind of asteroid disaster movie, so I'm into this. The moon's going to hit the planet, yeah sure whatever. I just love seeing Earth get totally demolished. It has to be a big thing hitting the earth though, I don't care about other natural disasters like volcanoes or earthquakes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gatts posted:

You know...I'm down for this.

Same but irl

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Where's Chewie when you need him?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DeimosRising posted:

So I don’t recall that latter bit, but I’ll say that the CIA as synecdoche for American propaganda has heavily pushed the idea that the tanks/troops were used to put down the student protests in support of Hu Yaobang’s reform positions (they just say “democracy” which is vague enough to imply there was a significant push for US style bourgeois electoralism, which there wasn’t), and the best available evidence does not support that idea. Yaobang’s position won out almost completely, and those students went on to be the beneficiaries of the new capitalist system. The tanks were there to break the protestors who wanted to preserve the Iron Rice Bowl.

There's kind of a theme that any kind of protest in nominally communist countries just gets immediately spun as 'FREEDOM' by the US full court press no matter the context.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

This could be good, stupid fun. Also, looks really obvious in the trailer that it's aliens causing it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

As someone who was extremely disappointed by Skyfall's false advertising, Moonfall sounds great

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I had no idea they were doing an adaptation of Universe Sandbox 2.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shageletic posted:

this is real interesting. Gonna head to google about but if you have a good article about it it'd be appreciated.

Tiananmen Square protest and college job placement reform in the 1980s

Yi Yang
Journal of Contemporary China 23 (88), 736-755, 2014

Is a decent overview of how the student movement (which was pretty disparate and disorganized) was at least equally motivated by changes to the way managerial positions were to be filled as “democracy”

Workers in the Tiananmen Protests: The Politics of the Beijing Workers' Autonomous Federation
Andrew G. Walder and Gong Xiaoxia The Australian Journal of Chinese Affairs
No. 29 (Jan., 1993), pp. 1-29 (29 pages)

Goes into the connections and the differences between student and worker’s protest groups, free on jstor

Class Struggle in the P.R.C. before and after “Tiananmen Square”

David Ashley, Xiao Ji Humanity & Society 15 (2), 156-182, 1991

Probably the most scathing criticism in English language academics I’m aware of as to the notion that the crackdown on the 89 protests was targeted at student democracy protests.

There’s not a ton of authoritative writing on the subject, much less in English, that contradicts the US line, for a lot of obvious reasons. My understanding of the situation is at least as much based on conversations with older Chinese colleagues who were involved (all of whom were students, not workers) and younger left wing students. I’d love to get a chance to talk to some of the involved worker protestors some time

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://www.thedailybeast.com/miles-teller-gets-covid-after-refusing-vax-bringing-godfather-shoot-to-halt-report-says?ref=home

Miles Teller refused to get vaccinated and now he’s got the Rona. I’m hoping his career continues to slide because every time I hear something new about him it seems to justify me disliking his douche face.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Casimir Radon posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/miles-teller-gets-covid-after-refusing-vax-bringing-godfather-shoot-to-halt-report-says?ref=home

Miles Teller refused to get vaccinated and now he’s got the Rona. I’m hoping his career continues to slide because every time I hear something new about him it seems to justify me disliking his douche face.

WHAT'S YOUR OXIMETER AT IS IT TOO FAST OR TOO SLOW

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Considering he replaced Armie Hammer, impressive that Miles Teller found a way to be a bigger danger on set than a literal cannibalistic sex predator.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody call Christopher Plummer….oh poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I thought he was good in the killing of a sacred dear but gd dude

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

DeimosRising posted:

Tiananmen Square protest and college job placement reform in the 1980s

Yi Yang
Journal of Contemporary China 23 (88), 736-755, 2014

Is a decent overview of how the student movement (which was pretty disparate and disorganized) was at least equally motivated by changes to the way managerial positions were to be filled as “democracy”

Workers in the Tiananmen Protests: The Politics of the Beijing Workers' Autonomous Federation
Andrew G. Walder and Gong Xiaoxia The Australian Journal of Chinese Affairs
No. 29 (Jan., 1993), pp. 1-29 (29 pages)

Goes into the connections and the differences between student and worker’s protest groups, free on jstor

Class Struggle in the P.R.C. before and after “Tiananmen Square”

David Ashley, Xiao Ji Humanity & Society 15 (2), 156-182, 1991

Probably the most scathing criticism in English language academics I’m aware of as to the notion that the crackdown on the 89 protests was targeted at student democracy protests.

There’s not a ton of authoritative writing on the subject, much less in English, that contradicts the US line, for a lot of obvious reasons. My understanding of the situation is at least as much based on conversations with older Chinese colleagues who were involved (all of whom were students, not workers) and younger left wing students. I’d love to get a chance to talk to some of the involved worker protestors some time

Yeah but it is hard to have a conversation with the goo stuck between some tank treads

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Miles Teller was perfectly cast as the rear end in a top hat Reed Richards, who is a supervillain in every universe except in the main Marvel universe and even then just barely.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 4, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah but it is hard to have a conversation with the goo stuck between some tank treads

I mean one of the most well known American protests involved the death of the main protestorsso it’s obviously not that hard

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Miles Teller had a disastrous interview in 2015 where he whined to the female reporter that he wanted her the cut up his steak, and then started telling her about his junk. Maybe Armie eats people but at least you can take him out in public.

The MSJ posted:

Miles Teller was perfectly cast as the rear end in a top hat Reed Richards, who is a supervillain in every universe except in the main Marvel universe and even then just barely.
I know next to nothing about The Fantastic Four. What I do know is they failed to make them cool, then they failed to make them gritty, so maybe they should just make them as bugfuck insane as possible with every bit of 60s weirdness that fits. It’s either that or just give up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

I know next to nothing about The Fantastic Four. What I do know is they failed to make them cool, then they failed to make them gritty, so maybe they should just make them as bugfuck insane as possible with every bit of 60s weirdness that fits. It’s either that or just give up.

You've pretty much nailed it, because that's literally the only way they work. They were never cool and never gritty, they're a sitcom family with the stern dad, hot wife, grumpy uncle and fun little brother.

A lot might make sense realising that while Rick Sanchez might have started as a Doc Brown parody, his actual characterisation owes a lot more to Reed Richards, as they increasingly unsubtly reference.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You sonuva

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They need to make prospective leading men take psych evaluations

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this is petty but could a mod change the thread title so that its no longer about the Frog Incident of 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

More kaiju is always good

https://twitter.com/scifijapan/status/1433899792879403008

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maybe this was joke, but that was Barry Keoghan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Miles Teller was perfectly cast in Whiplash as an extremely annoying music school kid but I never need to see him in anything again

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe this was joke, but that was Barry Keoghan.

... Yes! I was making a joke and totally realised they were not the same person the whole time and did not just Google them to confirm! Ha! Ha!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lmao

that's why you :thejoke:

i mean they're both weird looking white creeps

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah they're definitely fairly similar, and Barry is convincingly American such that he doesn't just get immediately thought of as "that Irish actor". They both have weird, seni-melted lugubrious faces, but Teller's is bloated and kinda grotesque

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

... Yes! I was making a joke and totally realised they were not the same person the whole time and did not just Google them to confirm! Ha! Ha!

You double sonuva

I didn't want to get :thejoke:'d so I trusted you were feigning ignorance...

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Someone needs to take the time to sit down all of the milquetoast whiteboy actors in Hollywood and explain to them just how infinite the supply of milquetoast whiteboy actors is and that the smartest thing to do is not be an rear end in a top hat because they can easily be replaced by someone who isn't.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ChickenMedium posted:

Someone needs to take the time to sit down all of the milquetoast whiteboy actors in Hollywood and explain to them just how infinite the supply of milquetoast whiteboy actors is and that the smartest thing to do is not be an rear end in a top hat because they can easily be replaced by someone who isn't.

The supply is infinite but apparently the demand is also infinite

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

idk literally anyone whose like "mmm yeah daddy i wanna join the miles high club"

hell i used timothee chalamet as the "hot guy rn" ref on some 20 year olds and they didn't know who that was and even im like yeah that guy's pretty

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

idk literally anyone whose like "mmm yeah daddy i wanna join the miles high club"

hell i used timothee chalamet as the "hot guy rn" ref on some 20 year olds and they didn't know who that was and even im like yeah that guy's pretty

Stop talking about hot guys to 20 year olds

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1434303148726710272?s=20

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 5, 2021

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Well I guess I'm watching the documentary three years from now about how someone was laundering money through Stoner Cats NFTs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Actually have to admit the grift. Mila has been hustling since she lied about her age to get on That 70s Show

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Can it top Laser Cats though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Or Samurai Pizza Cats?