Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's some interesting stuff in there but trying to get a lot of the specific shots from the anime intro has bad results. I'd have to see actual footage of an episode to decide if it's working or not.

That said would die for Ein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The biggest source of hate comes from people who are upset Faye is not dressed like she does in anime and the actress response made them more pissed. Its fantastic response. Same group of people pissed about Rey in star wars

quote:

"First I wanted to apologize to the fans that I do not anatomically match the Faye Valentine character," Pineda said. She summarized Faye's 'anatomy' as "Six foot, double-D size breasts, two-inch waist" and sarcastically remarked, "You know, they looked everywhere for that woman, and they couldn't find her. It's kinda weird. So they just went with my short rear end. I know, am I right?""

The other thing I wanted to bring up was, I wanted to apologize that the outfit I'm wearing is not exactly what she wears in the anime," Pineda said, referring to complaints her costume doesn't look like Faye's usual get-up in the anime -- which is implausibly short and thin and sometimes appears to be defying the laws of gravity. "You know, we tried, but doing stunts in tissue paper -- things disappear, they rip... That original costume, they made a couple of them, but like I said, they got sort of slurped up in my various crevices, never to be retrieved again. So, we really built something that could withstand the test of time."

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I'm cautiously optimistic regarding the goofy cosplay look because it is at least visually different than most other tv. I'll have to see some actual scenes from the show to be able say how well I think it holds together.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The biggest source of hate comes from people who are upset Faye is not dressed like she does in anime and the actress response made them more pissed. Its fantastic response. Same group of people pissed about Rey in star wars

nice meltdown

edit: referring to Pineda, not you

PizzaProwler fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 26, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Julius CSAR posted:

I know it’s TV, not a movie, but just… drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2N-9EmedA

I love that this is probably gonna end up being great because I like things that are good but also because it will destroy the Internet far more than if it were merely a bad or misguided attempt haha

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've been super pessimistic about the whole thing but honestly I like that intro. Still doubtful about the martial arts but I at least hope it is goofy and funny instead of just being watered down and sad.

e: also bwuhh, Sandman first look?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBXqrBl6pEo

Had no idea this was close.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Martman posted:

I've been super pessimistic about the whole thing but honestly I like that intro. Still doubtful about the martial arts but I at least hope it is goofy and funny instead of just being watered down and sad.

e: also bwuhh, Sandman first look?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBXqrBl6pEo

Had no idea this was close.

I guess Netflix is getting another $20 out of me for Sandman. The cast looks really good from the imdb, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of idiots coming out of the woodwork once the see who they cast as Death (hint, she's not white)

Or John Constantine being a lady.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

joylessdivision posted:

I guess Netflix is getting another $20 out of me for Sandman. The cast looks really good from the imdb, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of idiots coming out of the woodwork once the see who they cast as Death (hint, she's not white)

Or John Constantine being a lady.

Joanna Constantine is John Constantine's ancestor, who shows up in two Sandman stories. Unless they also changed John's gender? Which I'd be fine with.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Joanna Constantine is John Constantine's ancestor, who shows up in two Sandman stories. Unless they also changed John's gender? Which I'd be fine with.

I completely forgot Johanna was an actual character that showed up. I could have sworn it was John who showed up throughout the first arc, but it's been a while since I read the first chunk of Sandman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John shows up once in the first arc where he helps Morpheus get his bag of sand back.

There is another Sandman connection later on in John's solo comic series where he ends up in a conflict with the serial killer The Family Man and actually finds his invitation to the "Cereal" convention from Sandman's second arc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cat Hassler posted:

Has there ever been a good movie based on a video game?

Edit: I remember the talk about The Book of Eli being a Fallout movie when it was in early development because a PC Gamer writer wrote the screenplay LOL

I like the '95 Mortal Kombat movie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cat Hassler posted:

Edit: I remember the talk about The Book of Eli being a Fallout movie when it was in early development because a PC Gamer writer wrote the screenplay LOL

The most aggravating thing about the Book of Eli is that it had to hamfist the bible into it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, given the premise it would HAVE to be either the Bible or Das Kapital and you know Hollywood would never allow the latter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PizzaProwler posted:

nice meltdown

edit: referring to Pineda, not you

lol Pineda is not the person having the embarrassing meltdown.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I like the '95 Mortal Kombat movie

i think you mean "MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Hallmark Movies are finally starting to stunt cast more, as there is a time travel movie starring Lea Thompson and Christopher Lloyd coming out this Xmas

quote:

Lea Thompson and Christoper Lloyd will reunite for Next Stop, Christmas — a Hallmark movie airing in November in which a woman (Thompson) “imagines what her life would be like if she had married a former boyfriend who became a famous sportscaster. She takes the train home to spend Christmas with her family and inexplicably finds herself 10 years in the past. With the advice of the train’s enigmatic conductor, Angie has the chance to revisit that Christmas and learn what — and who — is truly important to her.”

https://twitter.com/tfieldsmusic/status/1440810295006404608

There is another one with Bruce Campbell too, One December Night!

These will all just be normal Hallmark Christmas movies but at least they are doing stunt casting to try to switch things up, maybe soon they'll bring back the animal themed Christmas films which were often the only good ones

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember Lloyd looking rough five years ago when he did that Back to the Future spot on Jimmy Kimmel with Michael J. Fox. I’m surprised he’s still active.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

His 5 minute scene in Sin City 2 was one of the few good things about that movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I still haven't seen that because it was made way too late after several of the cast had died and I've never heard anyone say anything good about it, which is a complete 180 from the first film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never understood why it took them so long to get a sequel for Sin City out. The first was huge, critics and audiences loved it. They had plenty more stories to adapt. It should have been a slam dunk.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember them announcing the sequel shortly after the first one, but something about Rodriguez waiting for Angelina Jolie's schedule to open up? Which apparently took ten years and she's not even in the loving thing anyway.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never understood why it took them so long to get a sequel for Sin City out. The first was huge, critics and audiences loved it. They had plenty more stories to adapt. It should have been a slam dunk.

I had no idea there even was a sequel to one of my favorite movies from that period and that is Not A Good Sign

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Sin City 2 is so painfully, hilariously awful that it's obscene. On every level it is an abject failure, except I guess on the level of casting Eva Green as the hyper-sexed femme fatale who spends the whole thing pretty much naked, as that is oft her M.O.

I go back and watch this clip a few times a year and it delights me just as much as it horrified me when I first saw it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K3rENCfXxk

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wiki says Rodriguez blamed the Weinsteins in 2007 for dragging their feet but in 2011 he still wasn't done with the loving script so my guess is it was all him.

I think there's still room for a Sin City today. Society's gone past the earnest comic-book films and is ready to dip back into pulpy hyperstylized edgy poo poo again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eva Green is great and she can carry an entire movie or series on her own. God bless her.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh man, Sin City 2...

Dennis Haybert trying to fill the late Michael Clarke Duncan's shoes, but not even being half of the imposing presence. Josh Brolin at one point having ridiculous hair and facial prosthetics because he is supposed to look like Clive Owen... I guess? Or how about Joseph Gordon-Levitt's story-line:
"Johnny taunts Roark, reminding him that tonight's story of how the same man beat him twice will follow him for the rest of his life. His vengeance completed, Johnny smiles resignedly, a single tear running down his face as Roark shoots him in the head, commanding his men to get rid of the body."

Roark dies in the very next story. You sure got lots of mileage out of all that, Johnny!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I honestly thought that JGL's storyline in Sin City 2 wasn't bad. That was the one story that I thought was anywhere near the level of the first movie's stories.

Other than that, Eva Green was pretty much the only other good thing. (Also Lloyd but he was part of the JGL storyline.)

I couldn't believe that they couldn't even get Clive Owen back for a five minute scene.

The whole movie felt like the sort of DTV sequel you'd see from the time when the first movie came out.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was super obsessed with Sin City when it came out. I was 14 so pretty much the perfect age for that kind of movie. I definitely remember obsessively following any news about Sin City 2, it was going to have Johnny Depp and all these other cool people and be even more violent and it would just be really awesome and it's definitely coming out soon!

I haven't seen Sin City 2 and prefer to pretend that it doesn't exist. It sounds kind of funny though, maybe I'll give it a watch one of these days.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Isn't the whole thing about Clive Owen's character that he has a new face?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Was Sin City 2 better or worse than The Spirit?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Did anyone in Sin City 2 brag about having 8 penises? I'm guessing no.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Vegetable posted:

I think there's still room for a Sin City today. Society's gone past the earnest comic-book films and is ready to dip back into pulpy hyperstylized edgy poo poo again.

Not sure we need to give any more money/attention to reactionary Islamophobe Frank Miller.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Not sure we need to give any more money/attention to reactionary Islamophobe Frank Miller.
I'm still amazed that he decided to do Holy Terror after DC shot down his Batman story. It's just Batman with the numbers filed off.

It sucks because he's done amazing work but he's a garbage person

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still amazed that he decided to do Holy Terror after DC shot down his Batman story. It's just Batman with the numbers filed off.

It sucks because he's done amazing work but he's a garbage person

Even his best work is shot through with a fascist aesthetic and, frequently enough, straight-up fascism. It just fit in the 80s better than now.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Did anyone in Sin City 2 brag about having 8 penises? I'm guessing no.

His pants must fit like a glove.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Cael posted:

Was Sin City 2 better or worse than The Spirit?

The Spirit is such a bizarre movie that I'm surprised I don't see it talked about more. It's unfiltered late-period Frank Miller on screen and it's really out there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
marketing wasn't great. Went from edgy grimdark of Sin City to....the Phantom in a fedora?

I didn't watch it so I will not be corrected

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
I LOVED The Spirit when it came out. My best friend and I saw it twice in theatres. Bonkers movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was kind of entertained by The Spirit, I don’t think it warranted the kind of hate it got just for being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah but what about “The Phantom” with Billy Zane?