Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Last movie I saw in theaters was Rise of Skywalker and I was literally asleep for half of it lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I did see CATS pre-patch, and I wish I could have ended my theater-going career on that high note.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Animorphs was way ahead of it's time.

If they made it now it would have to be a mid 90’s period piece because cell phones and the modern internet pretty much undo the whole premise.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lid posted:

Broad strokes yes but the ahead of its time part is more that by the end it was fully in War Is Hell everyone has PTSD and we send disabled kids into a mission as cannon fodder knowing theyll die because theyre expendable and for the greater good and its not presented as a moral horizon failing but that its war and a decision had to be made. It could still work.

I suppose, but a lot of the things that made it work on a character to character level were rooted in the 90’s zeitgeist. That said, you’re right, the underlying themes are pretty timeless and someone talented enough could do something with it. Racking my brain trying to think of who would ideally helm a project like that.

Lol, just remembered the book that asked “what if god...was a gamer???”
Now THAT was ahead of its time.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The Ender series really goes off the rails after a while. I guess you could still adapt it, but you would probably have to take some, uh, "creative" liberties with the stuff OSC stuffed into the more recent novels.

Children of the Mind was the biggest, wettest fart completely independent of the awful socio-political content, which also made it bad.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 5, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

iirc, Card said that if the US legalized gay marriage it would be his duty to launch an armed insurrection

Yeah, card’s questionable understanding of politics and people started cropping up at the beginning of Ender’s game when he has a mouthpiece state that women are too fragile to be in positions of power and pursues that idea further when Petra is the first to crack.

What’s depressing is that in spite of that he’s still considerably less misogynistic than a lot of genre writers.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 5, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I was also including the Shadow novels in that statement, which are set in the same universe with the same characters shown from different viewpoints. IIRC, the last novel reveals that the aliens from Enders Game were evil after all because they turned all the males of their race into zombie drones or something along those lines.

OSC just makes me sad because I legit like Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead, but so much of what he's said and done over the years just makes my skin crawl. He's like the novelist equivalent of Frank Miller at this point.

Oh yeah. I forgot about the shadow series. I only read halfway through Ender’s Shadow and the most vivid thing I remember about it was that I saw a commercial for it on the si-fi channel and realized it was the only time I had ever seen a novel advertised on tv. Oh, and the early message that geniuses are born everywhere, most of them just don’t have the opportunity to make anything of it. That was kind of cool.

I also used to love Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead. It was the first sci-fi series I read that went with relativistic space travel rather than ftl and that kind of blew my mind as a ten year old. A lot of the world building in Speaker for the Dead is still really good. However, the comparison to Frank Miller is especially apt because there were still kernels of the lovely things sprinkled throughout even their best work, they just weren’t significant enough to notice without hindsight.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 5, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

YouTube has been trying really hard to get me to watch this for some reason.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Christopher Columbus, the Greatest Man of his Era

LMFAO

Also “how do I magically convert hundreds of unique native cultures to my judeo Christian worldview without the guilt of killing most of them”

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 5, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

OH MY GOD

LMAO

Beyond loving parody.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Ender's Game is without a doubt the single most homoerotic thing I have read in my life. The fact that it's about 10 year olds makes it outright disturbing. OSC is at best a deeply closeted gay man and at worst a pedophile whose backwards "gays are child predators" beliefs are 100% projection.

I seem to recall him being asked if there was any subtext behind the young soaped up naked boys wrestling in the shower and he got really mad.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Rahonavis posted:

This is my favorite book trailer and I still long for an animated adaptation in this style:

https://youtu.be/5nHBylwZRgE

The illustrator James Gurney’s “Color And Light” was one of the best and most comprehensive books I read when I was learning how to paint.

Bring back dinotopia you cowards.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Mamkute posted:

Remember when the the title character stomps on the Spanish boy's balls until he dies?

User: Orson Scott Card

Tags: Cock and Ball Torture (everything to do with it)

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Who was the one who wrote the series about aliens invading during WWII that got progressively stupider as time went on? Was it Turtledove?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cartoon Network is a funny case since for a while it seemed like they really hated any show that they didn't make, and were constantly screwing over DC shows like Young Justice for flimsy reasons. (until Teen Titans Go came along anyway, now that literally makes up 90% of their schedule) To the point where Hasbro got sick of their poo poo and ended Transformers Animated prematurely to go make their own network, The Hub, though I don't think anything on it besides My Little Pony (yes, that one) was really a breakout hit and iirc they rebranded to Discovery Family.

The Hub also had Dan VS (which owned), which was baffling because it was an adult swim-lite type show that aired on a network whose target audience was 8 and under.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The Jersey was an actual show on Disney channel where the protagonists jumped into the bodies of actual sportsmen and sportswomen who actually factually acted REALLY BADLY in front of a camera because the premise of the show was that a magical Jersey would let you live a few moments of the lives of your fantasy football picks to teach you about friendship or w/e.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lmao I don’t think SpaceX is even cleared for manned launches yet.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Golden compass

Has HBO’s attempt at that franchise fared any better?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How in the hell did Quibi raise 17.5 billion dollars.

I assume once a few big names dropped enough money on it, a feedback loop started where potential investors saw how much was being invested, thought to themselves “wow, something with this much money behind it can’t possibly fail!” and invested themselves, perpetuating the cycle until funding ballooned to an impossible size that was then promptly pissed away by producing expensive, embarrassing content nobody actually wants to watch, delivered in the most backwards way possible.

I am thoroughly convinced that the people who have the most money are the very last people who should have it, for these reasons and many others.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, if I were incredibly wealthy I'd also produce a bunch of stupid garbage. But mine would be cool stupid garbage.

Isn’t that basically the entire mission statement of Annapurna Pictures?

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 15, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Hitler routinely had injections of bull semen.

Like, into his balls to make his aryan superseed stronger, or in his entire body under the assumption that bovine cum was like the captain america super serum?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seth Rogen and his production company have been hired by Nickelodeon to make a new CG-animated feature film of TMNT

https://www.ign.com/articles/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-seth-rogen-to-produce-cg-animated-movie-reboot

...Is this the same production company he abused to make Sausage Party?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I sort of lumped that movie in with the Tim Burton wonderland movies, since, judging only from the trailers, they seemed visually indistinct.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Better Call Saul

Man, I really need to catch up on this show, it and sy-fy’s face off (the only good reality show) were the best things on tv when it premiered. I stopped watching when I ditched cable; is amc still sending their shows to Netflix after a while?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

Better Call Saul is great specifically because it's mostly its own story instead of just Breaking Bad: The Prequel. The Gus stuff is easily the weakest part of the show because as much as I like Giancarlo Esposito, I don't really need a retread of his character. If I wanted to watch him play a ruthless and calculating businessman I'll just watch Breaking Bad. Or The Boys.

Breaking Bad was excellent, but I’m very disappointed it permanently typecast Esposito as a villain.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Face Off is pretty good, but I want a reality show where a bunch of engineering teams compete to make the most rad animatronic special effects sequences. Like Robot Wars, but instead of a fight at the end you just get to see a bunch of cool practical effects and monsters.

Jim Henson’s Creature Shop was halfway this exact thing.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1qwginrWU

"We're like Guardians of the Galaxy now?"

Oh God it looks worse than i thought

Some loquisha level adr in this trailer, lol.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I’m really glad Tom Clancy is dead right now, tbh.

Like, for this moment in history, specifically.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Has any right wing author taken up the mantle of Clancy’s particular brand of military wank?

It seems like the current right wing zeitgeist would be ripe for it, but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to modern airport fiction.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Isn’t there a dialogue prompt at the end of the Marcus storyline to literally say “I have a dream”

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's good, because I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane hugely, and I would dearly love a post-Predator 2 film in the series to not be poo poo.

The 2018 Predator was an incredible spectacle of bollocks and pretending it doesn't exist is the first step to the new one maybe not being execrable.

I’ll believe in a good new predator movie when I see it. I remember thinking Shane Black helming a predator movie would be a slam dunk and...uh, we all saw how that turned out.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lol the US has effectively given up and a vaccine won’t be widely available until mid-spring, to say nothing of the 30% of the country who are anti-vaxxers. There will be no theaters left in business to release the movie to.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Is this supposed to be pre or post traumatic brain injury

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Prowler posted:

The way Call of Duty works, with it's 4-5 development teams and two main title series (Black Ops and Modern Warfare), it honestly is more akin to the Marvel Universe.

Really, if we're talking a lack of ability to take hints from what worked in previous installments and obtain actual story/franchise cohesion, releasing things as planned without huge technical hiccups and mistakes-- let's say the Fox X-men universe.

Actually, this kinda tracks. There's X-Men 1-3, the "modern warfare" timeline, and X-Men: Past Hijinks, the "Black Ops" timeline.

Isn’t the black ops series pretty solid across the board? That’s the gist I got from osmosis, anyway.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Vandar posted:

Tomorrowland, Mission to Mars, and Tower of Terror are all based on Disney park stuff too.

Man, mission to Mars really sucked but I somehow ended up seeing it in theaters 4 times.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Gonz posted:

Mission to Mars had some neat scenes and concepts. And Ennio Morricone did the drat soundtrack.

It was the last pg-13 movie I can remember that had a particularly gruesome on screen death.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Ridley Scott seems to be the world’s biggest mixed bag. I thought Prometheus was awful until I watched a bunch of supplemental material that made it kind of good, never saw covenant, and his Robin Hood movie was just bewildering, in a bad way.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 11, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lower Decks is weird because common opinion seems to be that it’s bad, but everyone I’ve seen directly comment on it seems to really like it.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I liked the part where they restricted their streaming service to phones and phones alone because their target demographic was specifically people killing time while pooping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I seem to recall Jeffy K habitually making GBS threads on the lion king from pitch forward because he was convinced Pocahontas was the real game changer, but I guess he left the year before it was released, so maybe it was one of Disney’s other dumb suits I’m thinking of.