Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a movie where the school shooter is the hero. I am genuinely sickened by this trailer. It's just a fantasy where a right-winger can slaughter people without consequence, like that guy who lured two burglars into his home and slowly tortured them to death (not Home Alone) because he had always wanted to do that to someone and realized this was a way of getting away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Y'know, I dont know why I would balk at the idea of POC white supremacists, given that i worked with one for a few years. (She wasnt an incel, just a normal seeming black woman who had apparently decided at some point to let her sexual fetish for racism run her whole entire life.)

To bring this kinda back towards movies, when reading through ur-incel Rodgers manifesto years ago in an SA thread, I remember thinking that if you wrote a character with the combination of "genuinely incredibly pathetic" and "utterly convinced of their own greatness" as ER had, audiences would reject it as being too over the top and unbelievable.

Are there any movies that go into a character like that? He couldnt hold a do nothing job for more than one day, or actually speak to a woman, but he was convinced he was the Ultimate Gentleman, and so blessed by the universe that his ticket not winning the lottery was a robbery, an affront to how the world was supposed to work.

I would say the sadistic boy king character from the early seasons of Game of Thrones comes close.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I prefer the soundtrack to the game, where the lyrics are just a falsetto description of each character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBrwIMYV3-A

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The parts of that one montage where the actor keeps putting the barrel of the gun up against her face and head reminds me of the actor in Plan 9 From Outer Space (it might have been Bride of the Monster) who started scratching his face with his gun and looking down the barrel to see if Ed Wood would notice and reshoot the scene.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Marvel movies are extremely reactionary. Spiderman controls a worldwide drone network with his glasses.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m pretty sure US military script control is franchise-wide. At least in the sense that the studio would follow the censor’s instructions to keep access to the free tanks for the other movies that use them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kumail's really coming up in the world from his days as Prismo. Good for him: he has the most pleasant voice in the world. I hope he doesn't change anything about his cadence or vocabulary and just talks like a chill guy from 2015.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Man, if that's Rupert Friend I'd hate to meet Rupert Enemy.

He defeated Rupert Fiend in order to get the role.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember that Harrison Ford's character in Ender's Game had an assistant played by a guy named Han Soto. That guy should get cast in more Star Wars media.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Karloff posted:

I think the original press release for the Kenobi show said that Christensen would be "returning as Darth Vader" which implies that it won't be flashbacks as those would be Christensen as Anakin I guess. I'm not sure how they're gonna do it. Down pitching Christensen's voice I think would be pretty dumb and people would be annoyed as James Earl Jones is seemingly happy to voice the character for cartoons. They could stealth have Jones do the voice but have Christensen do the body but just credit Christensen as they did in Episode III, but I don't think that'll be the case. Kenobi could be tormented by a pre-suit Vader but as a figment of his own imagination, bit like Joker in Arkham Knight. I think that's most likely as it prevents any messy continuity with A New Hope, but allows Christensen and MacGregor to dialogue spar in every episode.

To be honest, I would be happy if they just straight up remade Yojimbo and Sanjuro but with Obi-Wan Kenobi. That would be sick.

Maybe he appears as a psychic projection that still looks like him pre-armor, as they couldn't actually meet before Star Wars anyway, unless it was only once or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that haircut an example of italiaface? My Italian neighbor always told me that people were racist against Italians and there were like four words that were the equivalent of the n-word for Italians. I should have believed him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Benny Safdie and Simone Kessell already have Star Wars names.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Temiri "Billy" Blagg

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

aware of dog posted:

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1376913243898327041?s=21
I love how obvious it is that GRRM has totally lost interest in finishing the books

If it’s anything like the play from that one episode, it will be much better than the show or the books.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

Didn't they lose their Civil War alt history show where the slavers are the good guys because they hosed up GoT?

Truly a premise worth of the authors of Lucky Wander Boy and Wolverine: Origins. You'd get laughed out of an undergraduate screenwriting class for that poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is five years old:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Klowner posted:

So this guy is definitely dangerous right? The common throughline of his films is "most of humanity sucks and we need superbeings to save us from ourselves" and I'm just nervously anticipating the day that he finally snaps and goes on a murder spree

but enough about Zach Snyder chortle chortle!

If he's as good at killing as he is at making movies, the most I'd expect would be a police log in the local paper about a dentist reported dead of a broken neck after tripping over a rifle and falling down the stairs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tossed salads and scrambled eggs...they’re loving again...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Creep in the Hood

The Creep

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ah, to the babylonians, the serpent was a symbol of the endless renewal of life, shedding its skin to be born anew. To the semitic early christians, it was a sign of evil, of the weakness of man. Tell me, Indy: do you like snakes?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tom Bombadil season here we come.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cool Cat Meets the 47 Ronin

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Somehow missed that there was a new Conjuring coming out in just over a month. I love these dumb movies, my favorite type of horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Q4zZS2v1k

Who knew this was set in the same universe as Fringe?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RO47N

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Thank you. I honestly don't get the huge appeal of Conjuring and I feel crazy for that. I remember hearing how the first Conjuring was a "completely new type of horror movie" and how it was so innovative and unique, and I when I finally watched it, I felt like I was missing something because it was a typical haunted house movie.

It also makes me laugh how so many reviews about the series talk about how the love Ed and Lorraine Warren have for each other is what makes the movies unique, and it's a testament to the great PR machine the real Warrens had. Two genuinely lovely people.

Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are pretty charismatic and enjoyable as the characters Ed and Lorraine Warren, two completely fictional creations that have no relationship to the historical people Ed and Lorraine Warren, who were unlikable criminal frauds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Asylum seriously falling off on their timing, although the grandparent-buying-the-wrong-dvd-for-Christmas demographic probably isn’t what it was ten years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The more I learn about Whedon, the worse all the brothel and sex-selling stuff in his latter works bothers me, and I didn’t like it to start with. That’s all going to be read as a huge confession eventually. His tv career ended with a show about plucky, heroic human traffickers and nobody was really that bothered by it at the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Even Morena Baccarin's character seems like the fantasy of a man desperate to make the idea of buying sex acceptable to himself, and nothing about her job is ever really shown from her point of view. I think every time she's shown doing any part of her job, it's her helping some sensitive, introverted white boy become more confident or grow in a positive way, even though she's one of the main characters on the show and she's having sex with people who never show up again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

I read that as TNG and now I’m wondering what lyrics to their theme song would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47BvTl8-64w

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It had a reputation for being a show that was unfairly treated by fox, so much so that it became a kind of shorthand for the phenomenon of shows being dumped into bad timeslots and left to die. I think more people took it up as a banner for the larger practice of networks killing shows through neglect than liked it just on the quality of the show itself.

Of course, a lot of that has now fallen away because Firefly did get another chance as a movie (that failed) and fox made a very visible effort to support niche science fiction for a while, like with the multiseason guarantee they gave Fringe and arguably through the choice to give it a fourth season, along with giving a second season to the Sarah Connor Chronicles and probably some other shows. Ultimately, networks just stopped filling the Friday-night death slot with any kind of drama. And of course live first-run broadcast for network tv is kind of dead now anyway, or soon will be.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Event was also about a new species of human coming back from the past or some poo poo. I don’t think it lasted long enough to get to what the titular event was supposed to be.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The X-Files revival gets points for continuing the stupid pattern of ending every season on an impossible cliffhanger and not bothering to figure out a resolution until the first episode of the next season. It was very fitting that way, even if the new seasons were mostly bad.

There was a show called The Pretender that ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved but got two tv movies on TNT years later, and it stupidly wasted them setting up more mysteries and cliffhangers instead of using them to resolve anything. Maybe they were meant to be pilots for a potential second series on TNT and had to do that, but it seemed hugely wasteful of a completely unexpected opportunity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the first revival season did a good job of matching the real range of what you got out of the first 7ish seasons of the show; there was a miserable mythology episode, an okay Scully episode, a fantastic Darin Morgan MOTW episode, a fun but trashy MOTW episode, a real yikes-arooni mythology-ish episode, and another miserable mythology episode.

What was the non-miserable mythology episode in the first revival season?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was some other “big mysterious event” show that aired around the same time that Lost premiered and had (I think?) something about weird aquatic creatures and secret government labs?

All I remember is that my grandpa hatewatched it but loved Lost.

It could have been Surface or Invasion, as both fit your description equally well.

The best Lost ripoff was the one about people who were hostages in a bank robbery, because the constant flashbacks to the robbery got ridiculously convoluted by the end of the first season. Even I could tell that ripping off the flashback structure of a show with a single event that all characters are constantly remembering would wear out its welcome much faster than Lost’s flashbacks did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was also Persons Unknown, which was billed as a one-season Lost clone that would wrap its mysteries up by the end of the first season. It did not.

It was about a bunch of people, including Cameron from Ferris Buehller's Day Off, waking up in a weird hotel in a weird empty town who then had all kinds of weird stuff happen to them while they tried to escape and flashed back to their pre-weird town lives. It ended with like three different insane cliffhangers. I remember some of the characters woke back up in the same hotel, except now it was on a large cargo ship.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did none of you have teachers who just knew exactly when and where to slam a file folder against the tv to block that nipple?

Also, I spent several years thinking that Olivia Hussey and Jenny Augutter were the same person because I saw Logan’s Run on cable late at night around the same time and merged the two in my imagination because of Michael York and mid-century British nudity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My AP physics teacher took our class to Six Flags. He gave us problems to do involving the roller coasters, but we didn't have to ride them to do the problems, so we did them all on the bus and then hosed around in the park all day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

duz posted:

Was it Physics Day where the park is only open to school groups? Cause we did that too and it did own.

I can't remember any of the movies we watched in class. But during the OJ trial, they had that playing the entire time in the media room and anyone who didn't have class could just wander in and watch for awhile.

I think so. All the physics classes went. It was early Spring.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Fun fact: Armand Assante is actually in every single film ever made, whether he's asked to be or not. They cannot stop him.

Didn't the actor who played 7th Heaven's dad turn out to be a pedophile? I thought it was horrifyingly fitting since he played one of the few nice people on Always Sunny, while the actors who play the sociopaths seem to be pretty nice in real life.

He is a child rapist and has not worked since his ex-wife released that information about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Funny or Die has a series called A Very Special Episode that summarizes sitcoms when they sprinkled in a serious episode. From what I can tell that’s all 7th Heaven ever was. Ripped from the headlines crap with a cast of scared stupid white people reacting to it. The irony of the family patriarch being played by a child rapist is just so rich.

They dumped Jessica Biel a few seasons in for doing some magazine photos where she wasn’t naked but wore shorts or something, and then she went on to do Blade III and ultimately what is her finest work: the commentary track for Blade III dvd.

The dad being a pedophile the whole ten years or however long it was is a profound irony that presaged other horrors associated with weird religious tv shows that try to appear normal. Mostly more pedophiles, I guess.