Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Avatar is gonna do really well, people still love it. Mercedes Benz just released a concept car based on the movie yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sir, weve run the numbers and the system says "Avatar Musical with non stop shots of glistening abs"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So, uh, anything good coming out this year?

Some of the animated films coming out this year look pretty good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My memory is that scene is good but, like, immediately followed by a stupid joke and theres no time to allow it carry weight or decompress from it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The MSJ posted:

In case y'all haven't heard, Pirate Baird O'conell (or better known by her first two names Billie Eilish) is doing the next Bond song.

Good for them, cant be worse than the last one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand hooray and the other I assume the reason for cancelation was that theyre too focused on their Netflix deal

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just read the plot of The Great Silence and its incredible, like a person setting out to give you the bleakest tale possible

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I struggle to understand how Nazi-less Indiana Jones is having troubles getting made into a film from a company that owns a film company

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Mortal Kombat movie succeeds because it is the thing its ripping off, a tournament of death between weird kung fu masters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I am a little curious what an effortful bad movie of his would be.

A shot for shot remake of The Day the Clown Cried

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It can be the same continuity Kathy, just get an actor who can still move fast

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Femur posted:

Leto is out at wb because he annoyed some high up with his whining when joker movie broke out. His agency severe their relationship with him iirc.

Do you think it will annoy him when his obituary ignores his collective works to simply read "Statutory Rapist , Worst Person to Play the Joker (Yes we can objectively measure that now, its the future), Dies."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, there was a planned sequel to the jaws knock off with a Bear that ended with them firing a rocket launcher at a bear? How does that get topped

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

The internet decided it was a terrible movie like 6 months ago and did funny youtube videos mocking the trailer and now they're wrong. I can see it

Its this.

To be fair, the original design was absolutely horrible and the opening and ending scenes apparently got massively reworked into a better version during that time as well

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The future is less likely to have people telling each other the events of Infinity war and much more likely that people will be more open to ridiculous ideas like god sending his chosen son to our planet who is both fully human and fully divine, and stands with us as we falter while only ever asking that we endeavor to uphold a single simple commandment to guide our actions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Or just how people in general imagine angels to look.

Future cult carves crude drawings of winged creatures onto walls in the hopes of summoning the Brucavanya, a beast that punishes those who harm children.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just hire someone new to be indiana jones, have him fight, I dunno, Francoists in the 30s, and not have him take advantage of under age women.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Indiana Jones and Epstein's Black Book

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Indiana Jones and The Living Will

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You skipped the part where theres a scene where a person steps out of a room and back in after like 30 seconds and this is later retconned to have been like hours worth of time. Like it doesnt just lie to you about internal thoughts, it lies to you about the events as they are occurring.

I think its really important to stress that Detroit is David Cages best game and thats entirely because its just merely facile and flirting with deeper ideas it doesn't grasp, instead of that but also racist, full of weird sexual violence and things like zombie loving, and undermining its own premises every chance it gets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Oh I don’t know about that, Detroit handles the issue of race about as gentle as a bull in a China shop. Like oh the androids have to stand in the back of the bus. And then at the end there’s a literal Press X to Quote MLK prompt.

I guess, mentally, I'm making a distinction between being oblivious while thinking you're doing a good thing and just kind of reveling in stereotypes because gently caress it, thats characterization and a thing all people of this group do. You're absolutely right, Detroit is embarrassing all over and is just completely oblivious to the idea that how one constructs story influences how well its stated themes land and are experienced. The loving hand-wave mind-control, "I guess we can just take off this thing that says "I'm a robot"", and it being a second attempt at misdirection by your playable character that's not well handled and raises roughly a million questions about the entire narrative that the game is not prepared to contextualize and address are just kind of impressive not getting it for somebodies 4th major title.

Seriously, the mans' best work is the first 30 minutes of Indigo Prophecy, the soundtrack to Time Cop, and his companies current attempts to muddy the waters about what exactly they got up to in the past regarding harrassment, both sexual and otherwise.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 7, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

From a purely promotional standpoint, while hes independent now, his last three games were all Playstation exclusives and heavily promoted by Sony, and to be frank was basically all alone making high production adventure games outside the telltale mold without serious competition until like 2 years ago.

The man desperately wants to be making movies which is why we must collectively stop him since photoshopping employees as nazis to make fun of them didnt stop him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So his company currently embroiled in an ongoing controversy around a variety of harassment allegations and his and their attacks on journalists, but last year they did also lose a suit where a high up in the company photoshopped an employee as a Nazi and shared it around the office.

This is of course in addition to and unrelated to nude Ellen Page Shrine

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Videogame movies and tv shows are hot now and David Cage is emblematic of making lovely movies through the medium of games.

To tie all the conversations together: Someone should make a movie based on the Episode 1 Podracing game. No no, not Episode 1, I mean like Days of Thunder but with podracing, based on the podracing in the game, not the film, and that way Taco Bell can do a combo box crossover and call it Boxracing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would assume the steady march of time leading to a change in talent and management, as well as a more competitive marketplace including their own past work rather than a specific singular thing.

Edit: Also doing sequels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Assuming Monster Hunter the movie doesnt tank CAPCOM is currently investigating exploiting the hell out of their franchises for films and the success of Sonic is making them hungrier.

Leavemywife posted:

Is that really why you can't skip the cutscenes in FFX?

Similar issues arising from converting an open world engine to a linear shooter is why you cant skip them in Max Payne 3. Theres a mod to remove the loading screens, but even there occasionally the mod requires you to wait a second before progressing or otherwise you cause the game to have a bad time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really didn't like Wall-E or Up so for me the decline starts there. Unless Cars came out before those in which case motherfucking Cars

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The term Bildungsroman just celebrated its 200th birthday, its a very old and enduring genre of literature.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

After finally watching Blade Runner 2049 my hopes for Dune have gone a bit sideways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Clowner posted:

You should probably check yourself into a mental institution.

The cinematography and effects and direction were wonderful (the box scanning scene exempted). The plot and setting decisions were so anathema to what I wanted and what interested me I became thankful Dune is an adaptation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to everyone else's complaints, Jared Leto's character felt awful for me because his dialog felt like TVTropes trying to write a villain and the ending immediately reminded me of bad films, especially anime, trying to add cheap weight to their ending while ignoring all the outcomes of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, my Battle Beyond the Stars 2: Battle Beyond the Sun script has its chance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bright 2: Now You Don't

Thanks for reminding me of that awful sequel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mycot posted:

Wasn't a pretty common complaint about Outer Worlds was that it was technically satire but didn't really seem to get why corporations and rampant capitalism are bad other than them being annoying?

I mean the first thing it tasks you to solve involves the company forcing survivors to have their wages garnished for suicides and that its feeding them food thats slowly poisoning them because their eventual slow deaths are cheaper than paying for real food. If you in another mission try to go for the "compromise" ending that other games love touting as the best solution between the rebels and the corporations things end up markedly worse than if you help the rebels just murder all the corporate people.

Im not sure how you play the game and think its critique is that corporations are just "annoying" unless you actively choose to disengage with the work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japanese work from home has gone very smoothly. The only issue is nobody knows when other people are "done" for the day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just want more Aquaman, dammit. Forget his fabulous friends, I want the man who can talk to fish! The craziest part about this post is none of this is ironic or in jest

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

The fact that you included in this list speaks to the marketing campaign. From what I can remember, the movie came out in a lull between Harry Potter and Chronicle of Narnia releases and sold itself as a straight fantasy adventure along the same lines.The trailer is a bunch of CGI-heavy scenes that, in the movie, are a few seconds long. The commercials doubled down further, putting special emphasis on the troll and pixies.

My parents took my siblings I out to see it when it came out, expecting a light evening of family fun. Instead, we left the theater bawling and had a sobering conversation about death on the ride home.

The book blindsides people too. I vaguely remember the male protagonist comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat on the book, to go with the child death.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shneak posted:

I've never met another person in real life that watches The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Dont come to my old office where it was the show du juor

Its the sort of show that has a plot for one season, maybe two and uh oh theres more than that number of that seasons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Wick as a film has a good eye for swift, suitably traumatic mundane violence in an urban, but somehow mythologized word so, uh, perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jared Leto seems like a perfectly fine actor who keeps getting cast in roles that he doesnt fit right and I've grown to hate him purely because he seems an indicative mark that the film will have problems since they probably also cast him wrong.