Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Great Schism of Post-Apocalyptica will be between the people who accept the Later Eddas detailing Thor's adventures in the Americas and those who believe them to be heretical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

At least she's stopped kissing every female performer as soon as they break out as though she's attempting to suck the fame out of them.

They're remaking The Mummy again?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Was The Good Dinosaur the tipping point for Pixar? I never got around to seeing it, but I don't think I ever heard any reviews of it that were better than lukewarm.

The beautiful scenery being blopped through by a goofy-rear end playdoh model dinosaur killed any interest I had in giving it a watch.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

8one6 posted:

Was that the one that's a top down game outside and Doom once you go indoors?

I rented that game so many times I should've just bought it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Pretty sure there was also one for the 1998 Godzilla movie of all things.

It was actually a good cartoon too, bizarrely.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Clowner posted:

Top 5 sci-fi movies, go.

2010: The Year We Make Contact

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

For some sick deragened reason I like this film.

It is unironically good sci-fi, just has the problem of being a sequel to one of the all-time legends.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Payndz posted:

Don't forget that Godzilla 98 at one point blows up a nuclear-powered SSBN in the Hudson River. (And the sub shoots itself with its own torpedoes...)

Godzilla 1998 is a far, far better American Godzilla than 2014.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I wanna hear this take, genuinely.

Godzilla (1954) is famously a nuclear allegory, but it also invokes the fear of an unstoppable invader from Japan's defeat in World War II.

Godzilla (2014) is a "better" Godzilla movie because it lifts those themes and slaps them onto San Francisco. But it has the fundamental problem that Americans don't have the same fears. We don't fear the Bomb anymore, so that aspect was minimized and the movie is left groping for something to replace it with. They mostly settle on a vague environmental message (delivered with a nice fat MAN ARROGANT THINK CONTROL NATURE line in case you missed it) with some leftover sprinklings of nuclear, some climate change, a bit of 'wrath of the gods' and a bit of 'god doesn't register your existence'. But..we don't fear any of those things either.

Godzilla (1998) is and was criticized for dropping that, but it does so to mold itself to the fears of America, especially in the 1990s. We fear that our government cares more about getting re-elected than it does protecting us. We fear that our military is a bunch of cocky idiots who will destroy everything in their path, including themselves, to no effect. We fear that the press that's supposed to serve as a check on power is a bunch of selfish ladder-climbers who don't care who gets hurt so long as they get credit for the story. We fear being toppled from our dominance and replaced. We fear the enemy that hides in and around and under, not some unstoppable looming force because we don't believe anything is unstoppable.

G54 is the nightmares of a defeated empire, G98 is the nightmares of a victorious one. G14 is stapling the former to the latter and is thus far less relevant to America in the 21st century than G98, making 98 the better American Godzilla.

I mean, the part where the populace demands to be let back in immediately, clogging the phone lines so the heroes can't get out word that there's a second, worse outbreak coming that the leadership isn't prepared for because they're ignoring the scientists and declaring victory is more relevant now than anything in 14.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Gods of Egypt freakin owns, i got the blueray

Hell yeah. :hfive:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

McCloud posted:

Just to clarify, not only did Whedon remove most scenes relating to Cyborg, they almost entirely removed his mother from the movie, removed scenes with his father, and removed all scenes with Iris West, played by a black actress. And instead they inserted a segment involving a (white) russian family that adds nothing.

belarus needs representation too

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Is Godzilla a woman

G-98 (the better American one) is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

I've not been as active as usual in this thread because we're going to have a baby but if there is a CineD out there when things all shake out I'll try to put up a version of the greenlight thread there

how is babby greenlought

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War 3 is one of the very few reinterpretations of Greek myth to treat the gods as essential and fundamental parts of the universe like they're supposed to be, and not just a team of X-Men who live on a mountain. It's also far more accurate to the themes of Greek mythology than people give it credit for, and being able to play as Apollo just makes it even more fitting in so many ways. It's honestly one of my favorite games ever for how soaked in Hellenism it is (figuratively and literally).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

does Helen of Troy squirt on you i never played it

you cuckhold your cousin by loving your sister

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

aware of dog posted:

Chris Nolan must really wanna kill people cause Inception is being re-released to theaters

More like Infection.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"i just wanted to see titties" is most of art, really

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Red Bones posted:

The one thing I don't like about Beyond is that everything introduced in the story comes back as a component of the plot in some way.

Chekov's phaser

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

HIMYM’s finale was so bad that it killed any residual interest in the show and that’s why it’s not even airing in syndication now.

I'm in the dark about this, what was so bad about it?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

So the entire show they'd been cutting to shots of "the kids" he was telling this story to, and they filmed all of these ahead of time because otherwise the kids were going to age up. This meant that they stuck with the ending they'd planned way back when, ahead of all the development or changes the cast went through.

And that's why everyone was furious when the final scene we see reveals this entire tale of how I met your mom was describing their NOW DEAD MOTHER in the present (who we only met in the final season!) and Dad was telling this tale to get permission from the kids to go gently caress Robin. If I don't misremember.

Hahaha, drat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like we get one tops. I think those are as dead as the showrunners' "Confederate" which also went dead loving silent.

I was kinda disappointed in that, tbh. Most if not all "what if the south won" stuff is lazy and just has one absorb the other, a world where the South broke off and then there's two States of America jockeying for position during the 20th century has potential.

I mean, I get it, but still.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lid posted:

I haven't seen it but from what i've heard the directors cut of KoH is meant to be one of the best films of the 21st century and should be in the same conversation as things like The New World, There Will Be Blood and other epics. I haven't seen it partially because of that level of praise and the original was so poor it makes me side eye it.

If it's still got the dumbass 21st-century-humanism big speech at the end, I can't see how it could be.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Troy was in a weird netherworld of not being fantastical enough, and not being real enough.

I'll never understand the drive to adapt mythology but cut out all the..well, mythology.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

It's a Sword Art Online style MMORPG. You start as a plantation slave and level up to become a courtesan queen at lvl 99 like those Facebook ads. The actual character is a basement dwelling incel on the year 2077.

October 2077?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lobok posted:

Ah, right. Lame it was wasted like that because nothing was shown. The part from the book was one of the more memorable kills from the book series for how creepy it was.

One of the hunters gets swarmed by compys later in Lost World too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A movie about Jesus kicking in the doors of hell and wrecking the place up would fuckin own.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If we're going to resurrect a dead script for a super hero movie, it's going to be Nick Cave's Gladiator script. We'll change Maximus to

Kratos, based on the ending of the first game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

X-Men First Class.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jurassic Park on a theater sound system was god drat amazing, I'd pay the :100bux: to go by myself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

it's about a lot of cool byzantine stuff

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Cold War stuff is legit good spy/milwank.

It helps that it’s all low-key stuff like “a sub captain is trying to defect” or “we need to get a compromised agent out of Moscow” until Sum’s crescendo (or a stand-alone WW3 novel).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

significantly better, though watching it in isolation robs you of the buildup from all the variations they do on Holmes' analysis fighting:

man. I really liked those movies, and would definitely enjoy more, but also Ritchie kinda covered all the ground he seemed to want to cover in those two?

When Moriarty suddenly cuts in, that's one of the few times I've felt the audience collectively gasp at the theater.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I will always defend Mission to Mars because I think it's in the category of "bland sci-fi". Totally great, nobody's phoning it in, but it's just something you could fall asleep to. 2010: The Year We Make Contact is another example.

Also I'm obsessed with the astronaut bbq trope.

I unironically love 2010 and I think it'd be much better regarded if it didn't have to follow one of the all-time legends.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Marv is the Christmas division of Marvel

Because it has no -el

:vincefrog:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

Buzz Lightyear is real and he is Andy's dad.

Major Thomas “Buzz” Lightyear

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Where's the part where Oddjob runs around karate-chopping people in the shins.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

They should tell the real story, where an imperial superpower invades a region of city-states because they had been supporting rebellion against the empire's tyrants, only to be turned back by the ferocity of the region's resistance.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like that it's a (pseudo)historical movie that has its people think and act like they would have, instead of something like Kingdom of Heaven where the main character is recast as a modern humanist who gets a big speech about how religion is dumb and everybody in the crowd in 1187 Jerusalem agrees.

Even Gladiator, which is much better and one of my favorite movies, still does that by having the whole republic vs empire sentiment/subplot/resolution.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Empire fell to Muslim aggression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did the Roman Empire just overstretch itself and got worn down with attrition, or did Fallout New Vegas lie to me?

It got hit with the Black Death and an apocalyptic 30 year war with Persia that exhausted both and left them vulnerable to the Caliphate.